• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

I wana try Arkham Knight again but I know it'll be shit on my hard drive and im 5 gigs short on my SSD now that XCOM is there

legit thinking of just uninstalling XCOM2 till the performance is better

but doing so just in order to install Arkham Knight is the most ironic shit ever

Never forget your giant gif, SalsaShark.
Well especially when it comes to its charm, it's one of those things that you either like a lot or don't even see what others like in it I guess. I rarely see how people get so excited about most games. Usually I'm either liking or disliking something but I rarely connect with so many things in any one game. So this was one of the few that hit a sweet spot for me.

Nearly missed this post, somehow.

Yeah, charm is a real difficult thing to nail down. Some games just appeal for some hard-to-explain reason and other don't--that sort of thing.

The one game in particular that really charmed my socks off was Blackwell Legacy. Its the first scene, at the beginning of the first game of the series, and you're trying to talk your way past a security guard; it's an intro to the player character, Rosangela Blackwell, and the setting. It uses sprites for portraits and at one point it changes sprites to show her smiling. And that's when I was dumbstruck by the sheer charm of the game.

It was clunky and low-fidelity, but man did it impress me.

It went... kinda like this.
tumblr_lvyr7gcDR71r3pxn3.jpg

tumblr_lvyr91jCbV1r3pxn3.jpg

The Blackwell series remains some of the best adventure games I've ever played.

Lain

The amount of people who prefer VC2 to VC1 must be really slim.

I'd guess so. I like them both the same though, more or less. VC2 is a great game with some annoying flaws (the grinding being the first, Avan being second, though playing his dumbness made me numb and I didn't mind it much anymore).
I wouldn't put small, interconnected maps as a flaw though, because the interconnected maps did bring some neat gameplay thinking to the game since who you deploy on the first map kind of matters in its way. Plus being a portable game I felt the smaller maps fit.
Story was just as anime as the first game, so no complaint from me on that front.
I didn't mind Aliasse either.

Personally I'd love to have VC2 on Steam (and 3 too).

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The fact is this move is so...dumb? Just put a restriction for worthy items, like 2$ or more? Ok, you can do the trade now if you have auth, or the items will be held for 5 days.
But not 15 days. And not on 0.03€ cards.

The real rub on Valve's part is that if someone had, let's say, 10 items worth $2 or more in their account, then someone could then compromise that account and be able to put $20 in that user's Steam wallet. Then they could purchase a game for $20 as a gift and email it to themselves, and they've successfully exfiltrated $20 worth of value from that user's account.

What would make more sense from a security standpoint would be to have that $20 be "pending" on your Steam wallet balance for X number of days if you're not using their 2 factor auth. But that solution results in people still losing their items, and in this case something that might have been worth $100 being sold for $2, although it removes a hacker's incentive to do so under most circumstances. It also restricts people from making purchases in a roundabout way so that's a big no-no.

xist

I'm pretty sure that I've somehow ended up with a spare Make War Not Love 3 bundle (Viking Battle for Asgard, Renegade Ops and Gunstar Heroes)....been trying to swap it with someone for a spare Rise of the Argonauts key but failed.....assuming it's viable, and given that it's of no use to me, quote to reveal the MWNL3 code

I can't even get the Mobile Authenticator to actually work.
Damn thing sez it's installed on my phone, but when I sell cards, I'm being told it isn't.

She looks like the hotter sister of Fiona from Deadly Premonition

fiona.png
I can see it.
IIRC this is the most detailed official depiction of Rosa. (The art between games fluctuated wildly.)
I should play something else. Meant to go for Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena on GOG for a long time. Let's see, let's see what else is currently installed before.

The first Riddick game is a lot of fun. The second... not so much.

I didn't like a single thing in Riddick 2, actually. Was a major step down.

C4rter

there's a bit of grim and gritty but it's super juxtaposed with cute anime girls and boys being kinda cute and friendship and stuff cos it's an anime game

but yeah the tone is almost always like that, and it gets even more anime with the whole valkyria stuff, which is a bit jarring if u don't like that kind of characters (imo they're great but u know, i like anime). the story's pretty good either way, it does get into some ugly war shit that mirrors real world stuff and goes grim sometimes but if u don't like anime you'll probably won't like it

I'll try to stick to the tactical combat. If the story will get to "anime" for my taste, I can start to skip the cutscenes or something like that, we'll see.

The game's story is very light for nearly all of it, it's very cheesy throughout too. A few serious moments but it doesn't set the tone that harshly.

I didn't take the story that seriously, but I think some people were expecting a serious war drama... which can't really be blamed, as there's no real description that describes it as the light-hearted story that it is.

Yes, the description text on Steam read like a war drama story. I think I was expecting something in the realms of "Brothers in Arms" or similar. Well, I think I've missed the parts about "“Valkyrur” – an ancient race with special powers" but even that could be grim and gritty, if I look at Sniper Elite Zombie Army.

Pachimari

I'm actually starting so many great games, but for some reason I just leave them cold stone. First Final Fantasy VII, then Yakuza, Final Fantasy IX, Bloodborne, Persona 4: Golden and latest Pokémon: Omega Ruby and I just stop playing after an hour or two. How can I forget about FFXIV which I paid to play for one month and haven't touched. And being turned off by The Witness after two hours again.

I know I'm going through an emotionally rough path, and is really down, but how I wish I could stick to a game.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I wana try Arkham Knight again but I know it'll be shit on my hard drive and im 5 gigs short on my SSD now that XCOM is there

legit thinking of just uninstalling XCOM2 till the performance is better

but doing so just in order to install Arkham Knight is the most ironic shit ever

Did you finally retire your 680?

I'm actually starting so many great games, but for some reason I just leave them cold stone. First Final Fantasy VII, then Yakuza, Final Fantasy IX, Bloodborne, Persona 4: Golden and latest Pokémon: Omega Ruby and I just stop playing after an hour or two.

Loving epic-scale RPGs can be a tough lot in life, yeah.

I recommend reaching out to the truth and completing P4G. Because you must.

I can't remember why, but I stopped playing Persona 4 after 6 or 7 hours on the PS2.

I hope it gets a remaster/port on PS4/PC some day so that I can give it another try.

Pachimari

Loving epic-scale RPGs can be a tough lot in life, yeah.

I recommend reaching out to the truth and completing P4G. Because you must.

I actually got 10 hours into it I think, but then I read about eating a specific dish at the restaurant for maximum health, and fusing personas, and then I decided to quit it. Not because it was a bad game - I loved it - but I guess it was too much to take in, and then I erased the save file.

That sounds damning.

Some people like it, though I'll never understand why.

The main issue I had with it is how small it felt, like repetitive, and how bad the enemy AI and stealth were compared to the first. It just felt like an all around poor repeat of the first, doing nothing better.
I actually got 10 hours into it I think, but then I read about eating a specific dish at the restaurant for maximum health, and fusing personas, and then I decided to quit it. Not because it was a bad game - I loved it - but I guess it was too much to take in, and then I erased the save file.

Having a lot to do is what makes epic-scale RPGs so good!

It's like Stardew Valley, only in RPG form.

zkylon

zkylewd
i think blackwell 1 and 4 were pretty good

i wasn't into 2 and 3 at all sadly

i hear good things about 5 so i wanna try it out but i gotta get in the mood for that kind of game

i'll probably play it after i burn my current videocard

I'll try to stick to the tactical combat. If the story will get to "anime" for my taste, I can start to skip the cutscenes or something like that, we'll see.

Yes, the description text on Steam read like a war drama story. I think I was expecting something in the realms of "Brothers in Arms" or similar. Well, I think I've missed the parts about "“Valkyrur” – an ancient race with special powers" but even that could be grim and gritty, if I look at Sniper Elite Zombie Army.
i feel like u kind of should've seen it coming knowing it's a japanese jrpg with anime graphics

but yeah, depends on your patience for anime, personally i think it's pretty accessible even if you're not used to anime, but yeah, there'll be pigs, friendship, giant boobs and kyaa kyaas

such is the way of japan

Balthuk

Never forget your giant gif, SalsaShark.

Nearly missed this post, somehow.

Yeah, charm is a real difficult thing to nail down. Some games just appeal for some hard-to-explain reason and other don't--that sort of thing.

The one game in particular that really charmed my socks off was Blackwell Legacy. Its the first scene, at the beginning of the first game of the series, and you're trying to talk your way past a security guard; it's an intro to the player character, Rosangela Blackwell, and the setting. It uses sprites for portraits and at one point it changes sprites to show her smiling. And that's when I was dumbstruck by the sheer charm of the game.

It was clunky and low-fidelity, but man did it impress me.

It went... kinda like this.

tumblr_lvyr91jCbV1r3pxn3.jpg

The Blackwell series remains some of the best adventure games I've ever played.

Yeah I love the rare times that small things make me fall in love with games.
I should try more Wadjet Eye games now that you mention that. The Blackwell series have been recommended by every person ever so I should pick those up. I did play the shivah and didn't really enjoy it though :/

hG6BiT5.png

I am amused at how useless the y-axis is in telling me anything useful (the last two times it sold for £0.32 but one £0.32 was smaller than the other unless a £ user bought it in which case they were purchased for the same amount but the sellers received different amounts of cash). This also serves as a reminder of how bad using £ is for me on the marketplace as I have less pricing options available to me both on being able to sell and being able to buy due to being a fairly strong currency (even if it is blighted by doubt these days).

I couldn't finish this game, the platforming just didn't feel right to me at the time. Seeing you mention the area where I remember putting it down as the worst one, makes me think I should give it another chance.
I can't say if you're gonna have a great time with it but I can tell you that there is nothing like the
Sewer
level after that. It continues like the areas before the
Sewer
. Action, survival. No boring, forced "puzzle" areas like that one.

Galak-Z content update update
jkooza said:
Our sincere apologies for taking so long everyone, we've learned the hard way to never, ever again promise free additional content, this has been a huge blow to us. Over the course of the creation of the DLC we lost our main engineer who was going to basically single-handedly engineer the entire thing, we moved our remaining lead engineer and studio director to join the (now) main studio in Kyoto, Japan, which was a massive distraction in terms of time and resources, and because the sales were well short of expectations, we've had to focus on other projects in order to keep the studio running. These are tough times for most indie developers, the ones that don't win the sales lottery have to scramble to stay alive, something we've gotten used to.

The good news is we've had lots of time to really listen to feedback, and really focus on an additional piece of game that really complements the main game, in new ways that I think our fans will super appreciate and will give the game really, really long legs to make up for the lack of updates in the few months following release. We had originally planned to release it much sooner but life had other plans for us. Its *desperately* close now, we're just waiting on final music and putting in the final voices, along with final tuning. We hope to be able to launch the trailer and announce full details very soon, and the content will be available, for free, to everyone, shortly thereafter.

We think its been worth the wait but we really wish we had been able to deliver sooner, and you have our sincerest apologies for the delay. That being said, we think fans will be able to enjoy the game for a long, long time, and we are exceedingly happy and excited about that! Thank you!
Yeah I love the rare times that small things make me fall in love with games.
I should try more Wadjet Eye games now that you mention that. The Blackwell series have been recommended by every person ever so I should pick those up. I did play the shivah and didn't really enjoy it though :/
I've never played the Shivah or that one set in the 40's. I guess the concepts don't appeal to me as much as SUPERNATURAL DETECTIVE NOIR.

Overall though, Wadjet Eye's output overall, though, has impressed me greatly. From Wadjet Eye's own games, like Blackwell, to published stuff like Resonance and Gemini Rue, I've enjoyed their stuff waaay more than I expected. Only the robot one let me down.

I've gotta play Technobabylon some time.

*doing my best Lashman impersonation*

Idle Master Discontinued
Idle Master Discontinued
2 March - jshackles
In light of the upcoming Steam Marketplace changes next week, I’ve decided to discontinue working on and supporting Steam Idle Master. As someone who is unable to use the mobile authenticator, having trading cards put on hold for 15 days prior to being listed in the market makes the proposition of selling them a difficult one. As most of you know, the value of each card can fluctuate wildly in that amount of time.

This, bundled with additional security measures Valve has put in place are a good step forward in that they make Steam more safe for its users. For me personally, the cost of this safety is inconvenience. For people in my position who are unable to use the mobile authenticator, this effectively makes idling for and selling Steam Trading Cards a futile effort.

Idle Master started out as and always has been a hobby project. My personal attitude towards it has always been “It’s something I built for myself that I find useful, others probably will too”. The first part of that statement, however, is no longer true.

Going forward: I will be updating the Idle Master homepage so that the “Download” button links directly to the portable version of Idle Master. The homepage will remain online for the foreseeable future, but I’ll be adding a statement to the site that the program has been discontinued and is no longer being supported.

The source code for Idle Master is and will remain available on Github under an open source license.

Finally, I would like to say “Thank you” to all of Idle Master’s users and fans. Without you, a project like this couldn’t have been as successful as it was. For those of you who this security change won’t affect: happy idling in the future!
Respect your choice. Enjoy a little more carefree free time.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Respect your choice. Enjoy a little more carefree free time.

Thanks Veggie, I will! I feel better already seeing all the well-wishes on the Steam announcement, since they're drowning out most of the bad/toxic comments.

Lain

The new indiegala bundle, The Yrminsul Debut Steam Bundle, has been already posted I'm sure.
I did find the bundle silly though, because of this message in the email I got:

Yrminsul, the strategy game in a persistent universe where each combat is held in the form of a Tower Defence, has been released today on Steam and to celebrate it, we've created a smashing 8 Steam games bundle, including Yrminsul, The Next Penelope, Freaking Meatbags and more, starting from $1! Be among the first to get it!

Price to get this game off Steam=7,49€ (25% off)
Price to get the bundle with the game=$3.99

Game has been bundled before too, so being put in a bundle is nothing new. What I find silly is celebrating the release of a game on Steam that is getting sold, with a discount, for 7,49€, by putting it into a bundle sold for $3.99. Is that really celebration? Feels more like a gangbang to me.

Idle Master Discontinued

o7

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
The latest round of market restrictions has made me basically give up on the Steam marketplace. Which is sad, really, since I have about $200 worth of un-idled trading cards I haven't got around to idling yet and now probably never will.

The 15 day wait to list anything on the market means that the most I'll ever attempt to list ANYTHING at is $0.03, and even then I probably won't bother for the pennies. Anything higher than that and the item will probably be too expensive in 15 day's time, and relisting the item means waiting another 15 days.

I've still not been able to get the Steam Authenticator working with my phone/carrier. I'm not particularly mad, but it makes buying games from Steam a lot less appealing of a proposition going forward.

Also as a result of this change, it seems unlikely that I'll be making any updates to Idle Master going forward. It's always been a "works for me, might work for you too" kind of program, but now I won't have any use for it. The code is open-source though, so if anyone decides to take it up in the future then it's out there.

Idle Master Discontinued

Yeah, I'm planning on trying to idle some cards before this restriction is implemented. Shame about idle master, it was a great, useful program.

I don't have a smart phone or any other device that can access the Steam Authenticator, so fuck it, guess I'm mostly done with the market unless I really want to craft a specific badge (which is becoming increasingly rarer for me to do anyway).

I also find this bit:

Steam Support will no longer restore items that have left accounts following a successful trade or market transaction (a process that previously created duplicates of original items)

to be completely anti-consumer when compared to the (relatively shitty) system already in place.

Also I miss lashman in these threads, they're not the same anymore.

Sounds like they've just thrown up their hands and decided they don't want anything to do with account security anymore. Probably because their customer service is so shit that they consider this a quick fix.

It basically kills trading card sales unless you have a smartphone. I have Steam Guard and have validated my account with Valve's Compliance department, and I'm still getting screwed over.

It's a pathetic move.

We're never getting better customer service from Valve, but we'll get more hollow promises for sure.

Real question is what is next for jshackles? :D

Enhanced Gaf Gold when?

fallout

I got an email verification request for putting a card on the market for 3 cents

really?
A buddy of mine from work wanted one of those Valkyria Chronicles coupons, so I added him to my friends list and sent it.

Of course, I'm doing it from work, so it's an unrecognized computer, which means they would hold it for 14 days or something. That wasn't going to work, because the coupon was set to expire before then. Then I remembered that I could initiate the trade from my phone, but then they delayed it for 7 days anyway. Thankfully, the coupon was still going to be valid, but only for a couple of days. Of course, this also involved having to confirm and re-confirm via email.

It all seemed very ludicrous for a goddamn coupon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom