• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Hmm. Disconcerting.

As per the e-mail, Valve identified every IP address that requested a Steam page during the caching issue window and sent the message to every account that has ever been accessed with one. That's the exact opposite of disconcerting. Sending the e-mail to literally every user doesn't achieve anything when Valve is very much aware of which particular accounts may have been accessed by other users.

Meanwhile in other Steam Spy related numbers:

header.jpg

Owners: 135,090 ± 8,558
nothing_stops_this_train.gif

Owners: 546,189 ± 17,196
Price: $24.99

And then I looked up Starbound and learned that it sold 2 million copies... and released in December 2013. My shock is eternal.

2.5 million copies seems to be the upper limit for Stardew Valley's sales, according to my scientific calculations.

Dsyndrome

No. I read in the steamspy thread, there's only about 10% of owners who have actually finished TiTS1. If most people didn't finish the first game, there's very little reason to buy/play the sequel. It's a story driven jrpg, afterall.
I meant with regard to the beginning of February to now, the number dropped 3-4K.

Blu(e)

As per the e-mail, Valve identified every IP address that requested a Steam page during the caching issue window and sent the message to every account that has ever been accessed using one. That's the exact opposite of disconcerting. Sending the e-mail to literally every user doesn't achieve anything when Valve is very much aware of which particular accounts may have been accessed by other users.

The unease comes from them sending an e-mail now. Why send an e-mail now if there wasn't some kind of recent discovery on their part or possible issue pertaining my account? I don't even believe I accessed my account in the allotted time and my account has been potentially affected by this "issue." I'm honestly not even worried but I thought it was strange of them to remind me about it.

zkylon

zkylewd
ok, jungle done

got 10 lasers, so it's only the village left and that damn church puzzle makes absolutely no fucking sense lol

and then i'll have to brave the mountain..

Dr.Acula

Banned
And then I looked up Starbound and learned that it sold 2 million copies... and released in December 2013. My shock is eternal.

Starbound is a good game. I haven't played it in a year because I'm waiting (and waiting...) for the imminent 1.0 release. Looking forward to getting back into it, it definitely held my attention for many tens of hours even in a relatively bare bones state. I imagine it will sell a tonne once it gets its 1.0 release. The amazing thing is that it's never gone below fifteen bucks according to isthereanydeal. Possibly it was cheaper as a part of a bundle, but it's never been cheap cheap.

Lomax

2.5 million copies seems to be the upper limit for Stardew Valley's sales, according to my scientific calculations.

Starbound had tons of buzz when it first released and sat on top of the charts for ages. It even cracked the top 10 of one of SteamGaf's GotY lists. If the final release hits and actually delivers on what was originally hoped for, I'm sure it will be huge again. Terraria is at over 7 million now. If Stardew Valley scratches that same itch, I'm sure it will push a ton of copies.

Eternia

Pretty good timing releasing relatively shortly after the huge success of Terraria which had an uncertain future for a while. People were pretty eager for something new. It's too bad the development of Starbound ended up dragging on slowly for years instead.

Knurek

I'm thinking about going from 16GB of RAM to 32GB of RAM, but I'm not sure how easy it is to tell Windows to passively background load frequently used applications into RAM. Like, i'd like to be able to boot up and then when I want to click iTunes or Photoshop or even the game I'm currently playing or whatever, it's already in RAM.

Can't you just set up them to run in background, dunno, a minute or so after user login?
If you disable pagefile completely (no need with 32GB except for some badly written games) Windows will have to load them to RAM...

Alternatively, just use a RAMDrive.

Void Raiders is "radical" top down rogue-lite shmup, with pernament character progression, character centric gameplay and never ending carnage in randomly generated environments.
A shmup that might have potential, also new store page!

Vlad

What is everyone's "comfort game"? That one game you have hundreds if not thousands of hours in, that you go back to again and again? That you play when you dont feel like playing anything else?

What is your Dota? Your Civ? Your World of Warcraft?

Honestly, I don't think I have one. Sure, there are the occasional games that I'll go back and play a little bit of here and there (FTL, Isaac), but nothing super consistent. I'd say that Minecraft would be up there, but after what must have been hundreds of hours on it, I finally got burned out. Of course, if a new modded GAF server popped up, I'd probably get sucked back in, but otherwise I'm pretty much done.

I do find myself doing a runthrough of VVVVVV every so often. Only takes about an hour or so, and it's just such a damn good game.

What is everyone's "comfort game"? That one game you have hundreds if not thousands of hours in, that you go back to again and again? That you play when you dont feel like playing anything else?

Deus Ex. At least one playthrough per year. I've done completionist/sadist/pacifist/speed runs and more.

I wish I could get emails about getting some Steam cash. Lord knows I'm not going to get some anymore from trading cards thanks to Volvo.

I meant with regard to the beginning of February to now, the number dropped 3-4K.

Wow, really?
That's interesting. It's either steamspy is still counting or it's just not that accurate at all. Or maybe people are indeed refunding the game. It'still weird though, it's kinda too late to do that.

a certain wow private server that shall not be named in order to abide by forum rules has announced they're going to do TBC progression after classic, and released an infographic about the first year of the server. 130k active players

Amazing. Can you PM me the name of that certain private server, please?
TBC is my favorite WoW era.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 10 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

Tomb Raider: Legend -- MB-153245528E96E5F3 - Taken by Gintoki
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2 -- MB-0A4B513B433FD8F2 - Taken by Xanathus
The Last Remnant -- MB-B51B478C670C37B3 - Taken by fuzzy123
Tomb Raider I -- MB-F109A2F83A72A3DF - Taken by fuzzy123
Just Cause Collection -- MB-EAED54F480154777 - Taken by CertifiedFP
Tomb Raider: Underworld -- MB-DB3BA1EC152DA361 - Taken by yuraya
Tomb Raider II -- MB-5737AB5686418C32 - Taken by Tellaerin
Tomb Raider III -- MB-6054D1985518CA19 - Taken by Natty1
Tomb Raider: Anniversary -- MB-8265C6551260E298 - Taken by fuzzy123
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic -- MB-E20C2355A19B4DEA - Taken by Xanathus

Lain

By highlighting such dumb comments you end up giving them more weight than they deserve and, in a way, you might end up hurting Js by making him notice something that he's better off missing on (I hope Js doesn't keep himself updated on every response to his announcement, to be honest).

According to my calculations, Stardew Valley is an ~70+ hour game. That's for a regular two year run, though there is no hard limit on a campaign.

It really is amazing that one dude made it.
CENSORED CONTENT
Sigh...
Finally, I can unleash this, the most perfect of gifs.

ImpoliteSinfulBuzzard.gif

It really is a shame that you can find vitriolic comments in pretty much any comment section on the Internet. Or at least ones with light, automated, or no moderation.

JaseC

The unease comes from them sending an e-mail now. Why send an e-mail now if there wasn't some kind of recent discovery on their part or possible issue pertaining my account? I don't even believe I accessed my account in the allotted time and my account has been potentially affected by this "issue." I'm honestly not even worried but I thought it was strange of them to remind me about it.

I'd imagine obtaining a massive list of IPs and cross-referencing them against an exponentially more massive list of login histories takes quite a bit of time.

Paper Train Traffic is here to test your mind and reflexes with increasingly complex challenges. From single railroads to multi railway nodes, your task is to supervise the ongoing train traffic of many different locations around the World.

Nothing stops this train!

Except when you're out of paper

Knurek

And Forza Horizon 3 and something called Visit Eden Falls?

Don't make me buy stuff from the Windows store!! >_<

Then don't buy them.
If enough people are like you and sales crater, one can safely assume Steam version being released a few months down the line.
Or better yet, wait for another "Games for $.10" promotion.

Tellaerin

This thread has gone to tits.

I see I picked a good time to poke my head in, then. >.>

Seriously, though, I need to start checking in here regularly again. Life's had me busy these past few months. Hope everyone's been doing well.

What is your Dota? Your Civ? Your World of Warcraft?

For PC? It'd have to be UT2k4. When the urge hits, I'll queue up some bots and play for awhile, usually DM or CTF.

Overall? Phantasy Star Portable 2 for PSP. Still break that out semi-regularly, even after all these years. Wish I could find something on PC that recaptured that magic for me. (Tried PSO2 while it was in beta but it just didn't hook me the way PSP2 did.)

JaseC

Brace yourself SteamGAF potential sh*tstorm incoming

RUMOR: NINTENDO FUNDING BEYOND GOOD AND EVIL SEQUEL

Seems unlikely. Nintendo has stayed mum on how Bayonetta 2 performed (even the VG CHARTZ!!! plucked-out-on-thin-air numbers has it at <1m) and given it was in development for at least two years, there's no doubt in my mind Nintendo hasn't recouped costs. Throwing money at a cult favourite was ultimately a fruitless endeavour and did nothing to change the Wii U's fortune, so why would Nintendo sign off on the very same tactic for the NX??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom