• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
If you have 1500 hours in a videogame, thats the definition of a comfort game. Im sure you didnt play 1500 straight hours

Plus dont you buy skins and shit all the time for that? Yeah thats your comfort game alright :p

Also, im honestly surprised nobody said Rocket League, but I guess its still a bit new to have reached that status

Lain

What is everyone's "comfort game"? That one game you have hundreds if not thousands of hours in, that you go back to again and again? That you play when you dont feel like playing anything else?

What is your Dota? Your Civ? Your World of Warcraft?

I guess my World of Warcraft is D3 (now that I'm not playing World of Warcraft).

What is everyone's "comfort game"? That one game you have hundreds if not thousands of hours in, that you go back to again and again? That you play when you dont feel like playing anything else?

Well, yours is Marvel Heroes, we know that.

I don't know that I have one at the moment... though SFV may be in line to become the next game with ridiculous playtime stats on my account.

Games that might fit: Souls series (+ Bloodborne)*, KF2, Payday 2, MGR:R, DMC4, Spelunky, Rogue Legacy
*If I add up the time spent in the last 4 FROM action RPGs, it's probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 700h or so. But I'm no Kagamin.

zkylon

zkylewd
If you have 1500 hours in a videogame, thats the definition of a comfort game. Im sure you didnt play 1500 straight hours

Plus dont you buy skins and shit all the time for that? Yeah thats your comfort game alright :p

Also, im honestly surprised nobody said Rocket League, but I guess its still a bit new to have reached that status

well in my mind i was thinking you meant something like spelunky, that you just play a quick daily challenge or something every day like some ppl tend to do

Anno

You didn't quote my response but you seemed to talk to it =p So I'll say that yeah it's been spread out over 2.5 years and I'm sure I've spent probably $1000 at least on hats and supporting tournaments and stuff. It's more of a hobby at this point than a game, I guess. No different than golf to me, really.

Edit: NM I see what you were saying. Still, games-as-hobby is an interesting talking point.

Annubis

well in my mind i was thinking you meant something like spelunky, that you just play a quick daily challenge or something every day like some ppl tend to do

For me the problem is "play when you don't want to play anything".
Like, I have thousands of hours on LoL too, but if I'm not in the mood to play, you can be sure as shit that I won't touch LoL.

I think my comfort game would be something like a roguelike with a strong in-game social mechanic.
Stardew Valley might actually be it. I'll see whenever sale hits.

Pupo

Like this?
UJd3F9j.png

Mine is Star Wars: The Old Republic. It's something I end up subscribing and playing heavily for a month or two every year. I'm getting close to completing all of the class stories.

Don't really know why. I hate MMOs, but love Star Wars, so it's this weird yin-yang balance that makes it feel very zen. Especially when coupled with the absolutely mindless combat and mildly interesting quests.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
You didn't quote my response but you seemed to talk to it =p So I'll say that yeah it's been spread out over 2.5 years and I'm sure I've spent probably $1000 at least on hats and supporting tournaments and stuff. It's more of a hobby at this point than a game, I guess. No different than golf to me, really.

Your reply was the prototypical comfort game lol

Like, I have thousands of hours on LoL too, but if I'm not in the mood to play, you can be sure as shit that I won't touch LoL.

I think my comfort game would be something like a roguelike with a strong in-game social mechanic.

I meant "dont want to play anything else" not "at all"

zkylon

zkylewd
ok the witness straight up bugging out some of the tracing of the secrets is really frustrating when it takes so long to start them over...

yeah, i feel like "comfort game" is something for like unwinding or whatever. i wouldn't say spelunky is too relaxing in comparison but it's a game that you can harmlessly play for like 15 minutes without feeling too bad about it

also for like the thousands of hours i've played of league, i think at most i've spent like 250 bucks on it..

which is kind of a lot now that i think about it lol

kagamin

But honestly, whenever I don't feel like playing anything else I just fire up Project Diva Extend or 100% Orange Juice, I only have a few hundred hours in both but that's what I've been doing for at least several months. :p

onionfrog

It's not a steam game but definitely Monster Hunter. I never get tired of playing it.

Bowlie

Banned
Guys, have anyone played A Story About My Uncle? It's on sale now, and I've found its videos interesting but don't know about the game itself.

Salsa

Guys, have anyone played A Story About My Uncle? It's on sale now, and I've found its videos interesting but don't know about the game itself.

I played it in one sitting, which is great. about 7 hours I think? I remember I had the whole day off

it's great. It has some issues on the later levels but the mechanics are fun enough

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

Somebody probably has a spare code hanging around. It's been bundled/given away a bunch of times.

gelf

Its kinda weird for me now as my comfort game is an unofficial one that suffered a takedown notice. It used to be Streets of Rage 2 as I've always found beating up fools in that game relaxing. Streets of Rage Remake however has everything that game had and more so its replaced the originals. Maybe I'm weird but it feels a shame I can't own it "officially". I'd buy day 1 on Steam if Sega put it on there.

zkylon

zkylewd
i peeked inside the ship in the witness again

that one panel lol

fuck you weird panel

edit: also should i get 16 gigs of ram? i feel like still being on 8 is kind of dumb? maybe?

Now find me a post defending it. I'm sure it wouldn't take long. What a cluster.

In the sense of being reasonable, I'd just like to note that when I saw that this morning (and unless something has changed) there had been no official response as to how/why that issue was being seen regarding that particular game.

Now MS could come back with some bs answer to the user's inquiry, sure. Or it could be some sort of mistake where something is effed up on the server end. Or it could be something on the publisher's side (depending on how the store works). The reason it's not currently available wasn't known (last I knew) and the user was still trying to get answers.

Jumping to the conclusion "MS is at fault and they're being evil and removing content people paid for" isn't exactly fair or helpful. If it comes out that MS is at fault here, sure, crucify them, but otherwise, directing all sorts of venom/vitriol at MS is a bit pre-emptive here.

that one panel lol

fuck you weird panel

edit: also should i get 16 gigs of ram? i feel like still being on 8 is kind of dumb? maybe?

What if one puzzle in the Witness requires you to have exactly 8 gigs of RAM?

You're walking a dangerous path, zkylon.

My comfort games rotate between Blood Money, Chaos Theory, and Far Cry 2. I don't play anything for that many hours though. I never was wanting when gaming, always with more to play. I bought my consoles used with a huge lot of games, and now well, Steam.

zkylon

zkylewd
16GB is the new 8GB.
alrighty, thanks

i think i'll just get 8 more, i was thinking getting 16gigs outright since there's that 1300 vs 1600 stuff but ugh, computer parts are so fucking expensive

What if one puzzle in the Witness requires you to have exactly 8 gigs of RAM?

You're walking a dangerous path, zkylon.
it would still be easier than that fucking last sound puzzle asldjlaksdjlak

jediyoshi

that one panel lol

fuck you weird panel

Depends on what RAM you have. Wouldn't bother with it if you're dealing with DDR3 and expect a performance jump in games.

it was Street Fighter 4 in my case, played like 4000 hours of that during the last 7 years , now it will be Street Fighter 5 i guess :v

The memory I bought 4 years ago when I built my PC was $59. I had a look today and it is $69, lol. I'm rocking 8GB as well, but it seems to do the job for now.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm thinking about going from 16GB of RAM to 32GB of RAM, but I'm not sure how easy it is to tell Windows to passively background load frequently used applications into RAM. Like, i'd like to be able to boot up and then when I want to click iTunes or Photoshop or even the game I'm currently playing or whatever, it's already in RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom