• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone should buy Grim Dawn if they weren't already in on the Early Access. It's only 30 Canadian Sheckles! Now I'm not good at the maths but that's gotta be like 10 Freedom Dollars and a negative sum in Euros. Pretty sure GabeN will send you the balance in trading cards. Or something.

Vlad

How's Just Cause 3?

It does some things right, and some things wrong, unfortunately. People have complained about the vehicle handling, which yes, is pretty lousy, but on the other hand, you hardly ever need to use one.

The world map is huge, and very pretty, but it also doesn't feel as densely packed as JC2's. Not only that, but the addition of the wingsuit, while my favorite part of the game by far, actually ends up making everything feel smaller somehow. it took a while to get from one place to another in JC2, but while zipping around in the wingsuit isn't as fast as a jet, it's still really fast, so you don't get the same feel for the size of the islands. It also doesn't help that you more or less start with it, so you don't have that period where you're forced to get around with the parachute+grapple+vehicles, then you can suddenly appreciate the new toy you get.

People have complained a lot about the upgrade system, but I didn't have a huge problem with it. Yes, the cars handle like garbage, but you only need to use the cars for car-based upgrades, so I just ended up ignoring most of them. Not only that, but the gear requirements aren't super strict, so you can go around and get a few unlocks just by two-starring races. I actually liked most of the other mini-games. They're all fairly reasonable in difficulty, and pretty fun to do. As others have said, the wingsuit challenges are easily the best, simply for the Pilotwings vibe. Bonus points for actually being completable with a mouse+kb.

I think what bugs me the most about the game is that it feels like you're playing with mods, when it comes to Rico's abilities. You ever play a game and install some mod that makes you way, way more powerful you should be? That's kind of like what JC3 feels like. There's this weird mismatch where Rico's way more powerful than he was in JC2, but they didn't beef up the rest of the game to compensate. The enemies are, for the most part, your standard assortment of soldiers+tanks+helicopters+boats. There's one mechanic that's introduced about halfway in,
shielded units
that made me think that they were going to be really beefing up the enemies from that point on to give man-god Rico more of a challenge, but alas, not only was that the only noteworthy addition, but they also don't really do anything with it.

David___

Banned
It does some things right, and some things wrong, unfortunately. People have complained about the vehicle handling, which yes, is pretty lousy, but on the other hand, you hardly ever need to use one.

The world map is huge, and very pretty, but it also doesn't feel as densely packed as JC2's. Not only that, but the addition of the wingsuit, while my favorite part of the game by far, actually ends up making everything feel smaller somehow. it took a while to get from one place to another in JC2, but while zipping around in the wingsuit isn't as fast as a jet, it's still really fast, so you don't get the same feel for the size of the islands. It also doesn't help that you more or less start with it, so you don't have that period where you're forced to get around with the parachute+grapple+vehicles, then you can suddenly appreciate the new toy you get.

People have complained a lot about the upgrade system, but I didn't have a huge problem with it. Yes, the cars handle like garbage, but you only need to use the cars for car-based upgrades, so I just ended up ignoring most of them. Not only that, but the gear requirements aren't super strict, so you can go around and get a few unlocks just by two-starring races. I actually liked most of the other mini-games. They're all fairly reasonable in difficulty, and pretty fun to do. As others have said, the wingsuit challenges are easily the best, simply for the Pilotwings vibe. Bonus points for actually being completable with a mouse+kb.

I think what bugs me the most about the game is that it feels like you're playing with mods, when it comes to Rico's abilities. You ever play a game and install some mod that makes you way, way more powerful you should be? That's kind of like what JC3 feels like. There's this weird mismatch where Rico's way more powerful than he was in JC2, but they didn't beef up the rest of the game to compensate. The enemies are, for the most part, your standard assortment of soldiers+tanks+helicopters+boats. There's one mechanic that's introduced about halfway in,
shielded units
that made me think that they were going to be really beefing up the enemies from that point on to give man-god Rico more of a challenge, but alas, not only was that the only noteworthy addition, but they also don't really do anything with it.

I just started in on it about a week ago, probably 10 hours total playtime. I'm enjoying it, as it's basically 3rd person Far Cry 4 with a few new interesting mechanics but a weaker story.

Lots of stuff to do and it's easy to ignore the main story completely and just focus on collecting stuff / liberating towns / doing races / etc which is what I've mostly done after finishing Act 1.

After my 10 or so hours, the game tells me I'm 20% complete.

Thanks for the opinions ^_^. Im interested but I'll probably wait for a better discount later this year.

Alright, I need some help. I promised my friend I would finally play through that SNES version of FInal Fantasy III. I see there is a steam sale with a bunch of FF games. Do I get the FInal Fantasy VI game (which I guess is 3 but named differently) or the FFIII game which is in 3D? I actually hate JRPGs and only liked Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana because there is a lot less grinding and no random battles. But I told my friend I would give FFIII a actual chance. Can someone help me decide what actual one to get since I've always been confused on the naming scheme of the FF games?

Dr Dogg

I'm buying SMW and F-Zero now, and I'll probably end up buying Earthbound, A Link To The Past, and Super Metroid when they're released in NA too. I feel like a sucker but it's so worth it.

As fucking crazy as this sounds Earthbound on my 3DS just feels 'right'. Right in the sense that because how the 3DS' top screen is setup so when 3D is off (which it always will be with 2D content) the screen has the appearance of scanlines. Couple that with exactly 240 vertical lines of resolution and the option to display it 1:1 (so PAR is probably off but no interpolation) and at 60hz it's like having a SNES and CRT TV in your pocket. On this performance of mucking about for the last hour, defo picking up ALttP and Super Metroid next week.

That's another godawful cover though! Still, another artbook to add to my burgeoning collection would be nice.

I buy waaay too many artbooks as it is. The Dark Souls II Design Works I picked up last week was surprising in how packed it was compared to the original.

FF IX release after this Square Enix deals, believe!

Damn that's good, I don't have CC tho :(

And I'm kinda in low money anyway, so I don't think gonna buy anything on Steam for time being.

I still have a lot to play anyway from last year purchase

You can purchase with debit card. I did.
Well, that's too bad then. Perhaps it'll still be available for the next few weeks or so. They've been actively restocking them.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, I need some help. I promised my friend I would finally play through that SNES version of FInal Fantasy III. I see there is a steam sale with a bunch of FF games. Do I get the FInal Fantasy VI game (which I guess is 3 but named differently) or the FFIII game which is in 3D? I actually hate JRPGs and only liked Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana because there is a lot less grinding and no random battles. But I told my friend I would give FFIII a actual chance. Can someone help me decide what actual one to get since I've always been confused on the naming scheme of the FF games?

FFIII on the Steam store is not the FF your friend was referring to, it's a remake of the original III (released on the NES). FF VI was released as FF III on the SNES in the US, so that's the one you want if you really want to play it on PC.

As fucking crazy as this sounds Earthbound on my 3DS just feels 'right'. Right in the sense that because how the 3DS' top screen is setup so when 3D is off (which it always will be with 2D content) the screen has the appearance of scanlines. Couple that with exactly 240 vertical lines of resolution and the option to display it 1:1 (so PAR is probably off but no interpolation) and at 60hz it's like having a SNES and CRT TV in your pocket. On this performance of mucking about for the last hour, defo picking up ALttP and Super Metroid next week.

Portable Earthbound is going to be great. F-Zero plays and looks great so far.

Pretty sure you want FFVI. First of all, your friend probably wouldn't request you play through the actual FFIII (sometimes called FFIIIj) - I'm playing through it on DS and geez, that final slog, and the job changing which seems so counter-intuitive...anyway. Second, when he says SNES version, that's the tip-off.

data

Can you realistically play CAVE's SHMUP game with one hand?

Middle finger + pointer on arrow keys, then remap the keys to your numpad and use your pinky + ring finger for those. Seems doable.

I don't think Mushihimesama allows keybinding though?

E: It does allow keybinding, except for your movements. Though if that's just deeper hidden in the menus it'd be great if someone told me where it is

Awesome! Thanks guys. I'll get the FFVI then. Hopefully I won't want to kill myself too much playing through it. I HATED FFVII because of the random battles that seemed to happen every few steps that I constantly forgot where I needed to go because the game made me grind so much.

Tektonic

How many people here are subscribed to Humble Monthly? And are you happy with it? Just looking through the previous bundles they have at the bottom it seems pretty solid as someone who doesn't have a ton of games to overlap with.

I've been a subscriber since it started. It's about $15aud, but I usually get at least 1 AA game I haven't got... I'd spend that much on cruddy bundles anyway - get lots more +1 but not much playable. Still have to get into ARK, but no time (renovating new house).

Short version: why not, it's 12$ and you probably spend that much on 3 coffees anyway. (At least here in OZ in hipster café's)

Sarcasm

Question about regional pricing.

My account has both the states and Taiwan as selectables. I left it on the states for one (or two reasons):

1) The difference has been 5 USD, they think that people here make almost US salary (which isn't the case)
2) regional blocking. Don't see everything and I can't even run some of the games I already own.

Now there is a game that has a big difference. Well big enough to entice me, with a difference of 21 USD. If I were to switch my account to TW and use my local card will that game only be playable in Taiwan?

How many people here are subscribed to Humble Monthly? And are you happy with it? Just looking through the previous bundles they have at the bottom it seems pretty solid as someone who doesn't have a ton of games to overlap with.

This month's bundle will be the first one I ever purchased thanks to the 10% off HBM coupon offered during these latest HBs. ARK definitely enticed me so if I can get 2 or 3 games I don't owned and never bundled along with it, I'll be satisfied.

The Monthly bundles aren't bad if you hardly buy any games. However, most of SteamGAF buys a lot of games so for a person like me, getting 1 or 2 games you don't own isn't quite the bargain.

zkylon

zkylewd
man, i've completed all the lasers in the witness but i don't feel like going into the mountain

i wanna find those last two videos but i have no freaking idea where they are, and there's still a ton of underground areas i haven't found access to yet

i imagine there's something hidden in the ship but i don't even know how to complete its only puzzle

guess i'll just try and do the mountain

Dsyndrome

man, i've completed all the lasers in the witness but i don't feel like going into the mountain

i wanna find those last two videos but i have no freaking idea where they are, and there's still a ton of underground areas i haven't found access to yet

i imagine there's something hidden in the ship but i don't even know how to complete its only puzzle

All I found on the ship was a
tape recorder, no video
. I was kind of let down, actually.

Does anyone have anything good to say about DX: The Fall? $2.49 is in impulse buy but never play territory.

zkylon

zkylewd
All I found on the ship was a
tape recorder, no video
. I was kind of let down, actually.

Does anyone have anything good to say about DX: The Fall? $2.49 is in impulse buy but never play territory.

did u complete the panel tho?

cos i've found that, outside the panel room, but no idea what's in it

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5b7oMdmZm4

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So how awful is Deus Ex the Fall? I know its an iOS port and the reviews on Steam are very negative, but at $2.50...

Jawmuncher

So how awful is Deus Ex the Fall? I know its an iOS port and the reviews on Steam are very negative, but at $2.50...

tumblr_n2oyj9deFQ1r94e9jo1_500.gif

That's been fixed, just wanted to post that. It isn't that bad, so long as you take it for what it is. Dunno if it's worth 2.50 still though. I got it in a bundle and paid 99cents for it on iOS

Anno

Man, Transistor is so good. The look and sounds of Cloudbank are amazing, and then the combat is just a ton of fun. Plus the dedicated hum button, that thing rocks.

Vibranium

Banned
Ended up getting DX: The Fall, since it's the only DX I didn't have. Even if I never play it, at least I'm complete.

I beat the whole thing, 100% haha. I also probably should play Invisible War at some point since I only watched walkthroughs and played a tiny bit a long time ago (hate the UI). I hope after Mankind Divided Eidos go further into the future and also bring back swimming. I like diving into secret areas.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Might as well also ask here...

Grim Dawn or Van Helsing Complete?

I haven't played the "complete" Van Helsing, but if you're looking for a good loot/Diablo clone then it's hard to go wrong with Grim Dawn. Especially if you are a fan of Titan Quest (since it uses a lot of the same mechanics). Personally I liked the first Van Helsing but didn't care for the second and never played the third: it has more of a "not really taking itself seriously" vibe to it.

Also I feel it's mandatory to mention when people want recommendations in this genre to let everyone know that Path of Exile is free and amazing, and I'd easily recommend it over both of those others if you haven't already played it.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I haven't played the "complete" Van Helsing, but if you're looking for a good loot/Diablo clone then it's hard to go wrong with Grim Dawn. Especially if you are a fan of Titan Quest (since it uses a lot of the same mechanics). Personally I liked the first Van Helsing but didn't care for the second and never played the third: it has more of a "not really taking itself seriously" vibe to it.

Also I feel it's mandatory to mention when people want recommendations in this genre to let everyone know that Path of Exile is free and amazing, and I'd easily recommend it over both of those others if you haven't already played it.

Thanks and yea I have Path of Exile, but controller support in the above two(and having loved Titan Quest) makes me a bit more interested.

me0wish

I'm pretty happy with it, just keep in mind it's more of an introduction to some decent/great games you never heard about, rather than it's something that gives you the exact games you want for a cheaper price, and you won't be disappointed.

Lain

Totally glad I slept through the 50% off on DQH - I'll maybe pick it tomorrow! I said to myself - so now I can just wait for a true 50% off or even better, a 75%!

Anno

I'm pretty happy with it, just keep in mind it's more of an introduction to some decent/great games you never heard about, rather than it's something that gives you the exact games you want for a cheaper price, and you won't be disappointed.

Yeah that's more or less what I want so I went ahead and subbed. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom