• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozium

I'm in a weird place when it comes to FF XIII.

When XIII came out, nobody seemed to like it much. All I heard were complaints that it was too linear, no towns, too much sci-fi, blah blah blah. So I went into it with low expectations, and ended up pleasantly surprised. The story was pretty decent, the characters grew on me (well, except for Vanille, but that wasn't a deal-breaker), the pacing was good, and the mechanics felt solid. Based on that, I was pretty hyped about starting XIII-2.

Complete dead end.

I don't know why, but I can't seem to get into the game at all. Which is weird, since I like the whole time travel/alternate realities thing. Got to the first time area, beat the boss, and haven't gone back to it. Maybe it's that I feel compelled to do all the sidequesty stuff so I don't miss anything, which ends up with me having to talk to every single NPC and backtrack all the time, and makes things drag. I want to like this one, too. Maybe I just need to pick it up again when I'm in the right mood, I dunno.

XII-2 is great, but it takes a couple of hours before it opens up with where/when you can go... the side quest stuff you can always go back to IIRC.

Xanathus

So how awful is Deus Ex the Fall? I know its an iOS port and the reviews on Steam are very negative, but at $2.50...

I enjoyed it as I came in with expectations that it was a game for mobile devices. The only shortcomings are the level sizes and combat but the writing and exploration is fine and that's what's really important in a Deus Ex game to me.

Totally glad I slept through the 50% off on DQH - I'll maybe pick it tomorrow! I said to myself - so now I can just wait for a true 50% off or even better, a 75%!

Yeah, DQ Heroes doesn't seem like worth it at the current price point. I want it, but I'm not going to play it soon. The discount error was just a sign that it'll get 50% off soon, especially for the summer sale. But I guess I'll just pick it up in the holiday sale at 75% off.

Yeah, DQ Heroes doesn't seem like worth it at the current price point. I want it, but I'm not going to play it soon. The discount error was just a sign that it'll get 50% off soon, especially for the summer sale. But I guess I'll just pick it up in the holiday sale at 75% off.

I thought about it, a little, @ 50% off... but then I came to the same conclusion... I have more than enough to play and it's not something I need immediately. Will wait for @75% off most likely.

Not sure if this is the thread to request this, but is it possible to get invited to the NeoGAF steam group?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/SpeedyBlueDude/

Done I think.

Not sure why you want in though, if all you play on Steam is CS:GO. ;)

I thought about it, a little, @ 50% off... but then I came to the same conclusion... I have more than enough to play and it's not something I need immediately. Will wait for @75% off most likely.

Done I think.

Not sure why you want in though, if all you play on Steam is CS:GO. ;)

I wanna try and get into playing a few more PC games since I feel bad spending hundreds upgrading my PC just to play a game that was already running on my old build at 100+ FPS. xD

Dsyndrome

SE dominating the charts outside of Talos Principle, despite the sales not being stupendous.
Edit: Nevermind, that was Specials tab. Disregard.

neonglow

The 10% discount pushed me over into subscribing to the Humble Monthly. Some of the games from the previous months were games I had on my wishlist so it wasn't a hard decision to make.

BTW, does anyone have an estimate of when the Steam Spring sale will happen?

Lomax

Is Ark decent solo a la Don't Starve? Or is it just Dayz/Rust with Dinosaurs?

BTW, does anyone have an estimate of when the Steam Spring sale will happen?

Considering we got a completely unprecedented store-wide sale only a month after the winter sale, I'd say anything could happen pretty much at any time. And the "spring sale" has never been anything particularly consistent anyway.

zkylon

zkylewd
X7Qz4BU.png

(this is not a spoiler)

and that's a wrap for the witness

such a strange game, so decidedly going against pretty much every game you're ever gonna play but also being the most straightforward game-like thing it can be, mazes straight out of those puzzle magazines.

it's hard to leave it feeling satisfied, between that puzzle counter telling me there's roughly 200 puzzles i've yet to see, those two videos that i never found, and some other mysteries that went unsolved for me, but the witness never really even pretended to be satisfying. i mean, there is actual satisfaction at finally defeating after so much struggling some of the particularly evil panels and i feel like the collectibles felt like enough reward for me, but in the end i never really felt like i quite had the perfect grip on things, like i was a master of these mechanics. it's kind of funny that on one of last few panels i hit a very simple panel that made me question some of the rules of the star puzzles. even that far into the game it plants doubts in ur mind

and that's kind of what the game is, it doesn't want to give u answers, it has lessons, hidden around the world for you to learn. and by the end you've heard all the lessons and you might even have formulated your own theories, but there's no mastering this game.

i'm not sure if i can say i enjoyed the witness but i've been kind of obsessed about it lately, seeing the shape everywhere i go irl and just desperately looking for new stuff whenever i launch it. not even sure if i'd recommend it or who i'd recommend it to. you need a lot of patience at this game, and a strong tolerance for motion sickness, and not sure if there's many ppl like that. it sure tested me on both accounts and if it didn't have blow's name attached to it i feel like i might've dropped it a lot earlier

i'm glad i stuck with it tho, it never quite had its "holy shit" fez moment and i really don't care for all of its talos principle esque philosophical nonsense, but it still felt like an important game that i had to beat

now i'm off to spoil myself of all i've missed lol

Eila

One of these days, I will have all the final fantasy games on steam, not today, but one day.

is 50% the lowest they ever been?

Nope, but it's been quite some time since the old titles have gone lower, at a least on steam.
Seems Square are not interested in selling them for less than that anymore to me.

zkylon

zkylewd
lol looking for some stuff i found a section called like "what is the witness about?" in the ign guide

oUzRvcu.png

kind of funny that the page doesn't even exist

Nope, but it's been quite some time since the old titles have gone lower, at a least on steam.
Seems Square are not interested in selling them for less than that anymore to me.

Guess I might pick them up sooner then, I've played most of them already and own them, I just want them on steam haha.

weird how I & II aren't on steam yet, considering they been ported to so many consoles and handhelds.

Ended up getting DX: The Fall, since it's the only DX I didn't have. Even if I never play it, at least I'm complete.

I'm tempted to buy and play it. Just to see the trainwreck firsthand, I mean I've played through Invisible War two or three times and have tried to play through Project Snowblind (AKA Deus Ex Clan Wars/DE3 before IW bombed).

Right now I'm installing Deus Ex: Revision just cuz.

Teggy

Maybe he thinks
you're supposed to be Blow in the game
Tagged cause I forget if that metaphorical ending means anything in reality lol

Even if you were Blow in the game, that's a shadow that was made with the player character and something else in the environment. The player character is not an angel.

So how awful is Deus Ex the Fall? I know its an iOS port and the reviews on Steam are very negative, but at $2.50...

Don't do it! My review will tell you everything:

Deus Ex: The Fall is easily one of the worst games I've ever played, and it breaks my heart to write that.

I'm a huge fan of the Deus Ex franchise, having ritually played the original at least once per year for the last decade. I eat up news and announcements about the games like a rabid fanboy, and I was onboard with Human Revolution as soon as they announced it.

What a shame, then, that The Fall (a port of a mobile game) is so terrible in just about every conceivable way. Broken game mechanics, stiff AI and level interaction and an equally lethargic and boring storyline combine to make this one of the worst games released in 2014, system be damned.

To talk about this game, we first need to discuss the expanded universe. When Human Revolution came out, there was a tie-in novel called Icarus Effect that was released too. That novel was a prequel/interquel that had the dual duty of setting up events from the original game and telling its own story within the framework of Human Revolution. A British SAS soldier-turned-mercenary named Ben Saxon allied with a Secret Service agent named Anna Kelso to attempt to stop the Tyrants (the antagonists of HR) and working to expose the Illuminati for their crimes.

The Fall is a pseudo-sequel to that book, and either retcons or reframes certain events so that they fit in line with this game's storyline. It does such a poor job with it that I wondered why they even bothered. The rationale for why Jaron Namir (the leader of the Tyrants) brought Saxon onboard in the book - that he was largely doing it as a way to acknowledge the guilt for all the crimes he's committed over the years - is largely ignored here. Anna Kelso, a level-headed and strong character in the books, becomes a woman who practically stays in the fetal position throughout the whole game. The death of Saxon's friend in the book becomes a retcon where he miraculously survived and became a new member of the Tyrants. Memorable events (like Saxon leaping out of a cargo plane and using his Icarus Landing System to survive a fatal drop into the ocean) are so buggy and half-finished that they become laughably bad.

Nearly every facet of the gameplay is counter to the franchise's design philosophy. Levels are disappointingly linear, with only the barest attention paid to the world-building and characterization that's so famous in other installments. Guns feel like pea-shooters, and the oft-mentioned zoom-in-while-aiming is incredibly frustrating. There's no sense of martialing the story with the gameplay - you can buy extra ammo and guns whenever you feel like it, trivializing the role inventory plays in these games.

The worst part is that this game sets up a sequel hook that will probably never be addressed, concerning characters we have no reason to care or be interested about.

I remember when this game was first announced, and the scorn it reaped on the internet. Incredibly, the final product was even worse than I thought. I still feel like I was ripped off, even after buying the game at 75% off.

Don't waste your time with this. Go back to the original game or Human Revolution for a far better experience.

Avoid like the plague.

Aww, I totally missed the alienware stream.

Haven't been there in months. It's a beggar's paradise now.

Turfster

I'm tempted to buy and play it. Just to see the trainwreck firsthand, I mean I've played through Invisible War two or three times and have tried to play through Project Snowblind (AKA Deus Ex Clan Wars/DE3 before IW bombed).

Right now I'm installing Deus Ex: Revision just cuz.
IW was a masterpiece compared to The Fail.

zkylon

zkylewd
man getting to the caves was pretty fucking tricky, specially since it autosaves right at the ending of the game when you can't turn back (thankfully there was an earlier save for me to use)

some of the lategame puzzles are really really good

Soulflarz

Banned
man getting to the caves was pretty fucking tricky, specially since it autosaves right at the ending of the game when you can't turn back (thankfully there was an earlier save for me to use)

some of the lategame puzzles are really really good

I got stuck here two, just undo the latch you used to lock the door lol (look up/down, I forget)
last save is usable

and that's a wrap for the witness

That ship puzzle you got stuck on was one of the few I had to use a walkthrough for. It's the kind of puzzle which (SPOILER)
you find in the bamboo forest area.

Also did you ever notice that (SPOILER)
the pond/lake between the town and quarry was changing as you played through the game? I noticed it about half way through and I could never figure out until the end what was happening there. It was only after finally finishing the game that I realized the pond was actually a map of the island that was tracking your progress as you played through. The lamps in the water would light up when you activated a laser, the flowers would bloom when you found an audio log and so on. The lake is actually shaped like the island from what I can tell so it serves as a guide for where you can go to find stuff. I thought that was super cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom