• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.
So im a new PC player and I always wanted to to play the original Deus Ex and System shock 2.
I see both on steam but I have a couple questions.
Do I need to have played SS to fully appreciate SS2?
Are there any must have mods that modernize either of them visually?

Remedy on Quantum Break coming to PC - and everything you can expect from the port.
At a recent press event Microsoft had a build of the PC version - which is being developed internally by Remedy - up and running, though it wasn't the finished article, running at 1080p resolution and 30 frames per second.

The final PC version, which launches alongside the Xbox One version on 5th April, supports 4K resolution, 60fps and also offers mouse and keyboard support, as you'd expect.

"Obviously, the whole thing about PC, the power especially when you go to high-end set-ups, it does give you nice things!" said Lake.

Here's hoping the fully-featured port drowns out some of the more negative voices around the PC version. "I can understand the fact that people are passionate," Lake added.

Dying Light: The Following gets even bigger with four new community maps
The four extra maps include:

Under the City - a choice-based horror story
Climb Down - arcade-style parkour experience
The Hunter - survival quest in a horde-infested forest
TeeVee - a visual nightmare best experienced in the dark

So im a new PC player and I always wanted to to play the original Deus Ex and System shock 2.
Hi and welcome aboard! Hopefully you'll keep visiting the thread more :)

Jawmuncher

You might be better off waiting for the system shock 1 remake. That game is rough and brutal these days. Most people who love SS2 have never even played 1 so take that how you will.

dex3108

So Tim is talking about Win Store issues and he mentions that we don't know what is future for UWA and how people should have a choice. If we put Win Store serious issues aside why is he talking about those other things when Epic is doing same thing with Epic Launcher. Every new game Epic did it i only available there and you can't get it anywhere else.

Maintenance Fridays! what a twist

So Tim is talking about Win Store issues and he mentions that we don't know what is future for UWA and how people should have a choice. If we put Win Store serious issues aside why is he talking about those other things when Epic is doing same thing with Epic Launcher. Every new game Epic did it i only available there and you can't get it anywhere else.

because if something awful were to happen with Epic Launcher you could still play your sweet sweet copy of Shadow Complex

If UWAs remain these weirdly locked up apps then game's preservation could be fucked for the games stuck on that platform

Dr Dogg

Well if you look at it this way Epic make a choice where they can deploy their application, they could choose Steam, they could chose GOG, they could choose Uplay, they could self deploy, or a combination of all of the above. But what they don't have is the keys to the platform ala Microsoft has and at the drop of a hat decide to push you to their store by say depreciating application and API support for the OS. Competition for services isn't a bad thing, even if it means some stuff ends up staying exclusive but someone witholding features or able to dictate what will run on said platform that also has a store they are trying to push has the potential to be highly anti competitive.

H1PSTER

Do I get No Man's Sky on PC or Ps4.

It's a toughie, I'm going to assume the Ps4 will have content only available to that console with how tightly Sony have been hugging the game itself.

header.jpg

The Interactive Adventures of Dog Mendonça & Pizzaboy is out. Point and click adventure. The prototype was really nice and it was a Kickstarter project.

I should mention the indiegala The Tokyo Anime Mega Bundle is finally having it's Happy Hour. To celebrate that, have some hump day happy hour stuffs:
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 12 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Starwolf_UK, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

BADLAND: Game of the Year Edition -- MB-602C285031CA0BA3 - Taken by Ludens. 25 entrants total.
Adventures of Shuggy -- MB-7F38A6D69E91AC11 - Taken by Smash88. 1 entrants total.
Space Drifters 2D -- MB-024463EA053E7560 - Taken by Darth Kupi. 3 entrants total.
Teslagrad -- MB-646F6807ADEFC107 - Taken by Haunted. 15 entrants total.
Sword 'N' Board -- MB-900D457D1F9044CE - Taken by Kuroyume. 9 entrants total.
Space Pilgrim Episode One: Alpha Centauri -- MB-DA44ED6281FA9245 - Taken by Catshade. 2 entrants total.
The Extinction -- MB-1091B91FFAD55310 - Taken by Sarcasm. 3 entrants total.
The Ball -- MB-DC6F186CF316578D - Taken by bloke. 8 entrants total.
The Deer God -- MB-C6B401BDCB96DA4C - Taken by Purkake4. 5 entrants total.
Dwarfs!? -- MB-FF21F7247A7C9025
PixelJunk: Eden -- MB-BC7FCBE783D9CEF9 - Taken by UnderWaterTree. 2 entrants total.
Mines of Mars -- MB-287E42E5232262B5 - Taken by rainking187. 6 entrants total.

t1457188037z1.png

Lain

It's a toughie, I'm going to assume the Ps4 will have content only available to that console with how tightly Sony have been hugging the game itself.

If you have a good PC I'd say get it on PC.
The exclusive content I'd expect for the game on PS4 would be just cosmetic (like that preorder ship) which I'm not sure would be more important than a less hindered experience (less pop in, bigger draw distance).
Obviously, the PC release could be completely busted too. Maybe wait and see, there's enough time until June.

BTW I'm still hoping a kind Canadian SteamGAFfer will help me out~

Corpekata

Banned

It's a game based around random generation. I don't see how they could add content to a specific version beyond maybe a skin for a ship or something. Not like you can fly to the Little Big Planet's actual planet when the entire basis of the game is a random starting location and very little direction.

If you have a good PC I'd say get it on PC.
The exclusive content I'd expect for the game on PS4 would be just cosmetic (like that preorder ship) which I'm not sure would be more important than a less hindered experience (less pop in, bigger draw distance).
Obviously, the PC release could be completely busted too. Maybe wait and see, there's enough time until June.

BTW I'm still hoping a kind Canadian SteamGAFfer will help me out~

Canadian Steamgaffer for what, no mans sky?

fantomena

I will get it on PC, personally.

When it comes to exclusive plattform stuff or exclusive shop stuff (buy this game from GameStop and get exclusive stuff) Ive never cared. Even the exclusive PS3 Joker DLC for Arkham Asylum never tipped me over to the PS3 version.

Also, I don't get why people are already pre-ordering things that are months away.

yuraya

Valve needs to ease off these stupid market restrictions. You gonna hold an item for 15 days? Really? Its becoming ridiculous.

Just wanna sell some trading cards...ok Gabe? I'm not trafficking drugs here.

From what I've gathered the game's performance on PS4 leaves a lot to be desired at this point.

We should be opening applications for it once the game is announced, but we sent out some invites earlier for people who proved particularly helpful in previous betas.
Thanks. I'll make sure to apply next time I see it (^_^)/

I haven't come across any info for now that content will differ across platforms.
So the age-old saying, depending on your PC, that would be the better choice. Time will tell about the quality of the PC version of course.

Backlogger

The PC requirements for No Mans Sky are pretty low so I will probably grab on PC. If I want to play from the couch I can always Stream it.

Is there a way to find available DLC for games you own? I've got like £5 after I pick up The Talos Principle expansion. Can always save it for Samorost 3 later this month but was planning on picking that up on Humble.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
How is deus ex human revolution directors cut ? Is it pure stealth or mix of stealth/ shooting.

How is lightning returns compared to ff13 etc

"Alan Wake's Return" Trademark is not for a game
Alan Wake's Return Trademark is not for a game

It looks like we'll be waiting a bit longer for an Alan Wake sequel.

A trademark was spotted last month for "Alan Wake's Return," however, developer Remedy has clarified that it's not for a new game.

According to Kotaku, the trademark is for an in-game live-action video series starring Sam Lake, Remedy's creative director. "A big part of the trademarking process all in all is the legalities of it," Lake said to Kotaku. "Just making sure everything is covered."

Lake said there is "no real news about anything future Alan Wake-related." However, he didn't shut down the possibility of the franchise continuing, saying "we are exploring possibilities and concepting different things, but lots needs to click into place for anything to happen. We will be the first to talk about it when there is something definite to talk about."
Not a game!

How is deus ex human revolution directors cut ? Is it pure stealth or mix of stealth/ shooting.

How is lightning returns compared to ff13 etc
Gameplay-wise LR is better than 13, the story is still nonsensical though. The characters...I personally think they were still terrible. If you like Lightning, I think you'll safely enjoy LR though.

Jawmuncher

It's amazing how well RE4 holds up even now. Sure some things are a bit more ridiculous than I remember but it's still tons of fun. I can't wait for the remaster mod to finally come out.

Also, I don't get why people are already pre-ordering things that are months away.

Pre-ordering the game yesterday got me a 40% discount over today's price. I might be prescient!

Valve needs to ease off these stupid market restrictions. You gonna hold an item for 15 days? Really? Its becoming ridiculous.

Just wanna sell some trading cards...ok Gabe? I'm not trafficking drugs here.

At the very least they should let users modify their selling price while the item is in Valve's possession without re-triggering the 15 day cooldown. So if the price of a card or item drops, I can change my listing price without having to take the item back into my inventory.

SteamDB Unknown App 390310 (Little King's Story) 4 days ago
SteamDB Unknown App 251270 (Corpse Party) 4 days ago
SteamDB Unknown App 411830 (SENRAN KAGURA SHINOVI VERSUS) 7 days ago

Glad XSeed is still working hard on the games.

speaking of RE, i installed RE5 on my win10 pc yesterday so i can finally play the DLC. It kinda bugs out a bit when running the benchmark, like a portion of the frame will freeze on the screen while it's still running.

Also, I thought they removed all things GFWL but the stupid game still requires that you install the GFWL marketplace just to get it to run. Even Win10 was like, "hey this shit doesn't work we don't recommend you install it."

I hope that weird graphics bug is just a benchmark thing and doesn't affect gameplay : /

oh, i did some binging and discovered how to fix my RE5 graphics glitch:

ALT+TAB to switch back to your desktop or another window, and then switch back

This flickering can occur on modern graphics cards and drivers, popping up as frequently as several minutes or as infrequently as every couple hours. It occurs regardless of resolution setting, currently untested with other configuration options. Fortunately it's as easy to fix as a quick window switch to reset the visuals to normal temporarily.

RE5 went from one of the better PC ports of last gen to a complete mess when they stripped out GFWL btw. Check this shit out:

This list comes courtesy of Conturmalis on REmodding, so many thanks to him.
Source - http://residentevilmodding.boards.net/thread/4156/resident-evil-steam-fixes-thread?

Bugs remaining after Patch#1

Stages.
• Chapter 6-1: Ship Deck. Sometimes Majini with a key-card can't jump down after spawn and you can't kill him to get a key-card.
Fixed - http://residentevilmodding.boards.net/thread/4418/

• Desperate Escape Stage 1. Some enemies, like a Chainsaw Majini or Gatling Majini, can't get out from the container.
Fixed - http://residentevilmodding.boards.net/thread/4447/

&#8226; Ugly waves in Chapter 2-1: The Port (not a stage bug actually, vfx bug). Not fixed. http://www.mediafire.com/convkey/f5aa/1hhd9pkg7dkv638zg.jpg <<Screenshot.
&#8226; Chapter 3-1: Marshlands. Area with crocodiles on the east. After restart from the checkpoint, crocodiles enemy set will be cycled to infinity respawn. Changing stage files doesn't help. Not fixed.
&#8226; Chapter 3-1: Marshlands. North area. If you place the mines before picking up the quest item, they will disappear while cutscene playing and appear after cutscene's end. In GFWL version, mines will stay in the cutscene and enemies will hitting mines in cutscene. Not fixed.
&#8226; Chapter 3-2: Oil Field - Refinery. Restart from the checkpoint, after killing one or both Chainsaw majinies, will cause enemies, that you've killed before, to respawn. Not fixed.
&#8226; Mercenaries. Container's collision bug in the Ship Deck stage. Not fixed.

Misc.
&#8226; Games for Windows Live is required to launch and play the game. FIXED by Mulac.
&#8226; Unable to give or request weapons from AI partner in campaign. FIXED by Mulac.
&#8226; Region lock when searching for the game lobby. FIXED by Mulac.
&#8226; Loosing equipped weapon after death in versus mode (except Jill BSAA). FIXED by Mulac.
&#8226; The game shows incorrect country flag when you host a game session and when you upload scores to the leaderboards. FIXED by Mulac.

Mulacs Fixes... http://steamcommunity.com/app/21690/discussions/0/541906989413705982/

&#8226; Slots scheme always sorted for gamepad usage in mercenaries and all Gold Edition content. In GFWL version they are switching if you are using keyboard and have numerical scheme ON.
&#8226; Turning ON anti-aliasing will result black outlines on the characters and objects.
&#8226; Static title screen. "Resident Evil 5" title is not animated.
&#8226; Private slots when hosting a Mercenaries, Mercenaries Reunion, or Versus lobby doesn't work properly. Client accepting invite (or choosing "join game" when selecting friend in steam) will get a "The player limit has been reached" message.
&#8226; During the chapter result screen in co-op, if one player chooses "OK" and second player lets the 60 second timer run out, the game will soft lock for both players.
&#8226; When hosting a LAN-only server, friends can still join via the internet by sending them invite or having the friend choose "join game" when selecting you in steam.
&#8226; Lost in Nightmares static camera angle Easter egg (interact with front door 3 times) isn't fully playable with mouse and keyboard controls (aiming gets stuck to middle of screen).
&#8226; Collision bug, where players and enemies could get stuck in geometry at framerates above 30 is mostly fixed, but it can still happen when playing at 120fps, and it has a very low chance of occurring when playing at 60fps. Its behaviour is now identical to how it was in the GFWL version.

and these are the things that remain after a fanmade patch fixed dozens of issues smh

System Shock 2 is one of my all time favorite games and I've never played the first, so it shouldn't be a problem to jump straight in to 2.

I played System Shock 2 without playing 1, it was fine. There are references and call backs to S1, but just knowing the general story of the first game felt like it was enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom