• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parsnip

I'm in a weird place when it comes to FF XIII.

When XIII came out, nobody seemed to like it much. All I heard were complaints that it was too linear, no towns, too much sci-fi, blah blah blah. So I went into it with low expectations, and ended up pleasantly surprised. The story was pretty decent, the characters grew on me (well, except for Vanille, but that wasn't a deal-breaker), the pacing was good, and the mechanics felt solid. Based on that, I was pretty hyped about starting XIII-2.

Complete dead end.

I don't know why, but I can't seem to get into the game at all. Which is weird, since I like the whole time travel/alternate realities thing. Got to the first time area, beat the boss, and haven't gone back to it. Maybe it's that I feel compelled to do all the sidequesty stuff so I don't miss anything, which ends up with me having to talk to every single NPC and backtrack all the time, and makes things drag. I want to like this one, too. Maybe I just need to pick it up again when I'm in the right mood, I dunno.

I liked XIII-2 a lot more than XIII. Actually likable characters goes a long way, and the improvements to combat felt really good.

Endruen

I started Dead Rising 2 last night. It does look dated but it's fun.

Good things so far:
- awesome b-tier story and characters
- insane amount of zombies
- plenty different melee weapons
- plain fun to kill zombies
- combo weapons are satisying

Bad things so far:
- no sprinting
- getting grappled (and getting out of it) is awful
- weapons brake way too fast
- time pressure is so high, it's not possible to explore or do side missions
- no sprinting
- basically no video settings, no controller remapping, no FOV slider (cumbersome modifiable)
- health gets lost way too quick which makes you avoid combat
- too few inventory slots to have a nice selection of weapons and health items
- no sprinting

I'll continue playing it. It's fun. I hope the time pressure and fast weapon degradation changes though.
I beat Dead Rising 2 doing all side missions except for one in my first try. It's doable.
You will get more life, defense and item slots leveling up, so don't worry.

Sch1sm

IEncHlb.jpg

lol fuck you too Xbox. Didn't they use to give you like a quarter worth of MSP or something before? And I thought that was insulting.

And my birthday isn't till the 29th.

They do this every month - send it at the very start. It's pure laziness on their part. Doesn't take much extra time to add a line and make it sent on the day, and now we don't even get shit with it, lol.

Huh. I get that it's just a $1, but is it worth it? I guess cards earn your money back, but I don't idle, so, which of these would you guys actually play?

lmao you guys really want more welfare Tecmo ports?

I'm good, unless Toukiden 2 is 60fps.

Itll totally be 30fps, though, No point in getting any hopes up there.

Knurek

Tim Sweeney from Epic talks about Microsoft's strategy with their Win 10 store and UWPs. He's not too impressed by their direction.

http://www.theguardian.com/technolo...-pc-games-development-epic-games-gears-of-war

This isn’t like that. Here, Microsoft is moving against the entire PC industry – including consumers (and gamers in particular), software developers such as Epic Games, publishers like EA and Activision, and distributors like Valve and Good Old Games.

Can't believe anyone didn't mention that little tidbit. :p

Double Edit: I wonder what the economics of these giveaways are. They don't really seem related to the games they give away, so I guess they must buy cheap keys in bulk, and then the places we have to visit/follow pay them to get more traffic. Bizarre. Hopefully it makes the game makers a bit of money at least.
Apparently Gleam itself costs $40 a month at least to do the 10k giveaways (they used to allow 100k giveaways in the same bracket but that is now the $150 tier).

As for if the keys are paid for or not think of all the trading card revenue generated from these. At least that seems like the woodle tree adventures strategy though I did notice they released the soundtrack on Steam a few days to bump it into the new releases section of Steam :p

itch.io and not Humble Bundle?

Huh. I get that it's just a $1, but is it worth it? I guess cards earn your money back, but I don't idle, so, which of these would you guys actually play?
If each game drops 3 cards to make your money back you need $0.04-$0.05 per card so that means selling at $0.07 a card I guess. I think that is about current market value so you're only just earning your money back. You have to wait for the next 10 games (the fuck?) in order to start being in the black...

Also the whole "I idled the cards and sold them" well if you have small enough idling time you are already saturated on things you can get for free.

I remember that you get more XP for Stealth killing and for not being seen during a mission/an objective (500XP Bonus or something like that)

Looking into it, because I (mostly) played as stealth/non-lethal when I platinum'ed the game on PS3, it seems that the only real penalty for going in guns blazing is if you aren't good at headshots -- I believe takedowns award the same xp either way (lethal or non-lethal) so the main difference in awarded XP was from not getting headshots if you're doing normal combat.

They did add XP for dealing with turrets in the DC and the boss areas have some areas where you can use this to your benefit, but this seems to be more of a balance to help out stealth/non-violent players who don't even want to neutralize enemies with tranq darts.

http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/28789/what-actions-give-xp-in-deus-ex-human-revolution

I liked XIII-2 a lot more than XIII. Actually likable characters goes a long way, and the improvements to combat felt really good.

This is my problem with starting XIII-2 -- I know that all the characters I liked are gone and there's new characters that don't really interest me. But some day, I guess I'll have to step up and just do it so I can play XIII-3.

C4rter

Looking into it, because I (mostly) played as stealth/non-lethal when I platinum'ed the game on PS3, it seems that the only real penalty for going in guns blazing is if you aren't good at headshots -- I believe takedowns award the same xp either way (lethal or non-lethal) so the main difference in awarded XP was from not getting headshots if you're doing normal combat.

They did add XP for dealing with turrets in the DC and the boss areas have some areas where you can use this to your benefit, but this seems to be more of a balance to help out stealth/non-violent players who don't even want to neutralize enemies with tranq darts.

http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/28789/what-actions-give-xp-in-deus-ex-human-revolution

I don't know how often this bonus occurs but if you go in guns blazing you'll be spotted and trigger the alarm. That means you will not get this (from your link):

"and the two mission bonuses of Ghost (500 XP) for getting through an area without ever being spotted by an enemy NPC and Smooth Operator (250 XP) for getting through an area without setting off any alarms"

Parsnip

We should be opening applications for it once the game is announced, but we sent out some invites earlier for people who proved particularly helpful in previous betas.

YMMYDub.gif

Partners in Japan seem annoying :p
What I heard from local manga/anime publishers points to that. I do wonder if it's all a product of incidents like the HarmonyGold one, or if it was always like that.
At least they are not asking Ghostlight to fax source code to them.

I hope.

This is my problem with starting XIII-2 -- I know that all the characters I liked are gone and there's new characters that don't really interest me. But some day, I guess I'll have to step up and just do it so I can play XIII-3.
Who did you actually like from FF13 cast? I thought all of them were pretty terrible. Well, Fang was cool and Sazh had his moments.

u right

I'll probably be dead before we get a good hunting game on Steam. Capcom is such a garbage company.

God Eater's coming and while I wasn't really a fan of Toukiden when I played the demo on my Vita, both are better than garbage from a garbage company -- so I guess you already have decent hunting games on Steam. ;)

Yeah. I stopped going after one of their multi-day streams last year, as it was constantly filling up with people who couldn't read the chat and annoying communities (Rollercoaster Tycoon World and Smite fans, notably).

A lot of stuff just fell by the wayside, and 90% of the chat outside of streams consisted of people constantly checking their ATP. Nobody ever realized (or cared) that they could do so privately.

I feel bad for Len, because he's doing the best he can with what he's got. Don't care much for Roxy - she referred to me as "someone" on multiple occasions, despite that I was there nearly from the beginning. I don't think she cares much about the stream itself so much as a marketing tool for Ubisoft games.

Yeah, I can understand all that. Also both Len/Rxy seem to have their "favorites" so no matter what you do, sometimes you get ignored/forgotten and that's just not fun to be on the receiving end of, especially when you're trying to be active and improve the community. Add in some really weird stuff with the way giveaways were (are) run and people showing up to scam the giveaways for personal gain with multiple accounts and it's just not good.

Hell, I know lots of semi-regulars are really unhappy with the changes they've made to ATP and giveaway prices too. But for those that still get something out of it, I'm glad they can (I don't know that iosefe is really active around there anymore, but Kurt is and he seems to enjoy it, so there's at least some positives still there).

Who did you actually liked from FF13 cast? I thought all of them were pretty terrible. Well, Fang was cool and Sazh has his moments.

I thought everyone was alright, mostly, though by the end of the game I wanted nothing to do with Vanille or Sazh. Originally I was indifferent, but their writing and VAs killed any possibility of staying that way.

Fang was my favorite FF character since... probably the PSX days, so that was a plus and I was okay and even partially grew to like Lightning/Snow.

Hope wasn't as bad as people made him out to be. Definitely better than Vanille and Sazh for me.

I don't know how often this bonus occurs but if you go in guns blazing you'll be spotted and trigger the alarm. That means you will not get this (from your link):

Once per mission.
But that's not really a "penalty", so much as you're just opting to not get bonus xp. Same as if you don't bother to hack every door or destroy every turret or the like. If you want max xp possible, and there are people who are into that, you'll have to be at least semi-stealth for part of the game and not play it like a straight up FPS. :)

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Asus told me that I had to wait and try again in 24 hours to claim a farcry primal code :(

Hope it works then.

So the Gigital Domicide bundle. Apparently the "DRM-free download" are a 156 byte text file named PlayonSteam.txt which tells you to redeem the game on Steam. I do not know if that includes the Greenlight ones either. Let that sink in for a second, Bigital Nomicide can't even get DRM-free downloads right.

Mivey

Also he calls GoG good old games, which it isn't called anymore. It is actually not an acronym any more, just GoG
He should have called it CD Project, to be consistent(ly wrong).
So the Gigital Domicide bundle. Apparently the "DRM-free download" are a 156 byte text file named PlayonSteam.txt which tells you to redeem the game on Steam. I do not know if that includes the Greenlight ones either. Let that sink in for a second, Bigital Nomicide can't even get DRM-free downloads right.
You can get your Steam game code without using DRM, what the heck do you want from the poor guy?

SSPssp

To be fair no one should play those games at all outside of idlemaster for card drops. They're just being helpful.

So the other day I was talking about all the varieties of garbage people come up with to categorize stuff they don't like. Just garbage isn't enough, the ever-increasing need to push hyperbole further and further forces you to find the absolute worse kind of garbage, because otherwise you can't possibly comunicate to others just how much you hate something.
So I just saw the expression "dumpster fire garbage" to describe a character and thought it was interesting but I'm left wondering how it compares to utter garbage. It's definitely worse than hot garbage though.

Lomax

Apparently Gleam itself costs $40 a month at least to do the 10k giveaways (they used to allow 100k giveaways in the same bracket but that is now the $150 tier).

As for if the keys are paid for or not think of all the trading card revenue generated from these. At least that seems like the woodle tree adventures strategy though I did notice they released the soundtrack on Steam a few days to bump it into the new releases section of Steam :p

Well at the most, the dev gets 5 or 10 cents per copy in card money, probably less. I can't imagine anyone is giving away 10k keys for the potential of a $50 long term payout. I'd have to think they are getting at least a couple hundred dollars for them. I mean what does getting 10k twitter follows cost?

Uzzy

Tim Sweeney from Epic talks about Microsoft's strategy with their Win 10 store and UWPs. He's not too impressed by their direction.

http://www.theguardian.com/technolo...-pc-games-development-epic-games-gears-of-war

Tim Sweeney is a man you listen to when he speaks about gaming.

Glad to see these concerns finally get brought up, and in as big a newspaper as the Graunaid too. Phil 'The Lying Liar' Spencer's response is the usual PR bullshit though, so that was disappointing.

impact

Banned
God Eater's coming and while I wasn't really a fan of Toukiden when I played the demo on my Vita, both are better than garbage from a garbage company -- so I guess you already have decent hunting games on Steam. ;)

God Eater is terrible and barely a hunting game

Monster Hunter is clearly the best, but Capcom gonna have to pay me to play games on a garbo 3DS. The game is so suited to Steam and 4packs but Capcom uses no logic. Oh well, fuck em.

Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear will be released March 31st for $19.99.

The official site.

20 bucks is more than I expected for an expansion, it's the same price as the base game, which is required to play. I'll probably not buy it on release.

Stardew Valley sells like crazy, it jumps up by 30k+ everyday. It's incredible.

It's at 166,977 ± 9,523 now, let's see what it ends up at on the end of this year.

I'm pretty much at this stage too now, can't say I look forward to any of their other games.

I wonder if it would convince XSeed/Marvelous with Story of Season :eek:

Arthea

I wonder if it would convince XSeed/Marvelous with Story of Season :eek:

apparently it's not a very good game, at least that's what I was told on several occasions on gaf included, so they can't expect such numbers as Stardew Valley has, but for a good game in this particular genre is doable, I think proper Rune Factory game would sell like crazy, at least I think so, but it would be full priced game, so still unlikely to make SV numbers.

apparently it's not a very good game, at least that's what I was told on several occasions on gaf included, so they can't expect such numbers as Stardew Valley has, but for a good game in this particular genre is doable, I think proper Rune Factory game would sell like crazy, at least I think so, but it would be full priced game, so still unlikely to make SV numbers.

I meant Story of Season as a serie :p
Should've said Harvest Moon if Natsume didn't had the IP hahaha

zkylon

zkylewd
Fez had a "holy shit" moment? While I "finished" it (got the credits and a
first-person mode which didn't seem to have any practical use)
, I don't think I got 100% on it, from what I remember. The game just seemed like a bland, but pretty, platformer with an interesting gimmick that never really got utilized in any interesting way.
yeah, it has a practical use, and it kind of changes everything considering some of the challenges you face later on

replace it with the holy shit part of braid if it's better for u, or some of the crazier parts of portal or whatever you prefer, idea is that there's no big moment like there is in those games

i mean, there is a BIG THING about it that's really really REALLY cool, but it didn't feel like such a big moment that one time but just the slow realization of what was going on that really has that similar effect. it's just a different way cos it's more like peppered out through the island rather than a super directed moment like in braid or portal or whatever

also i had a dream about the witness last night in which i drew like maze lines around my bedroom, so uhh

i'm officially fucked up

Tizoc

HELLS YEAH
MONTHLY BUNDLE DONE DELIVERED!
ARK
Wasteland 2 (Classics Edition)

GRAV
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
I am Bread
Switchcars
Sentinels of the Multiverse.

Bolded are the ones I am interested in :p

Werd

Wasteland 2! Awesome. Great month for me, 0 previous owned and I would have happily paid $12 for just ARK and Wasteland 2, others are a nice bonus.

Will probably pre-purchase next month for This War of Mine, have been wanting that. Do have South Park though.

Jawmuncher

HELLS YEAH
ARK

GRAV
I am Bread
Switchcars

'I don't know what I expected"

Was a better selection than this though. Really only got Shantae out of this.

Some great games in the Humble Monthly, too bad I own most of the ones that I'm actually interested in... oh well, I'm sure I can find a good home for Wasteland 2 and Shantae.

Wasteland 2! Awesome. Great month for me, 0 previous owned and I would have happily paid $12 for just ARK and Wasteland 2, others are a nice bonus.

Will probably pre-purchase next month for This War of Mine, have been wanting that. Do have South Park though.

Two games from the next month are already known?

Blu(e)

Was super close the subscribing for the month of March. Only really wanted Shantae and the Pirate's Curse but that's already been for $10. Maybe I'll get lucky with a giveaway or score a cheap code.

HELLS YEAH
ARK

GRAV
I am Bread
Switchcars

Wow, kind of wish I had jumped in on this one.

Some great games in the Humble Monthly, too bad I own most of the ones that I'm actually interested in... oh well, I'm sure I can find a good home for Wasteland 2 and Shantae.

What would you want for that copy of Wasteland 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom