• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlad

the game has a weird alphabet to decrypt and a bunch of nonsense that i have zero will to follow through with because by the time i finished the game the first time around i had had my fill of it.

It's the Undertale problem of once i hit what feels like a legit ending to a game i've usually reached my tolerance for said game too, meaning fhat if the devs did some stupid shit like want me to play the game again to get the REAL EXPERIENCE then they can go pound sand, i'm done with it.

Oh, yeah, I kind of remember that. Finding some cubes or something scattered around. Like you said, by the time I got to what-I-thought-was-the-ending-but-apparently-wasn't, I was getting a little bored wtih it anyway. The whole "rotate the world" thing was a cute idea, but I don't remember a single time that it was used in a clever way to solve a puzzle. It was usually just "find an area you can't pass, rotate the camera a buch to see if that helps, if not move on", and repeat.

yeah, it has a practical use, and it kind of changes everything considering some of the challenges you face later on

replace it with the holy shit part of braid if it's better for u, or some of the crazier parts of portal or whatever you prefer, idea is that there's no big moment like there is in those games

i mean, there is a BIG THING about it that's really really REALLY cool, but it didn't feel like such a big moment that one time but just the slow realization of what was going on that really has that similar effect. it's just a different way cos it's more like peppered out through the island rather than a super directed moment like in braid or portal or whatever

also i had a dream about the witness last night in which i drew like maze lines around my bedroom, so uhh

i'm officially fucked up

See, I'm not looking for a "holy shit" moment per se. Especially since I apparently keep missing them. Braid had one as well? Did it have to do with the books? I tried reading the first one and couldn't take any more, so I just skipped the rest when it appeared that they weren't gameplay-relevant.

Not sure what you mean exactly by "cryptography stuff" but Fez was much much more than just collecting the obvious bits of cube scattered about.

For me, the whole process of figuring out that there was something to figure out, then scrawling all kinds of stuff on actual paper, cracking the game's codes then using all of that to get the anti-cubes was really amazing.

Yeah, it sounds like I missed a bit.

Ludens

Banned
Shantae and This war of mine, both on my wishlist...well, awesome bundle (for those who purchased it, of course).
I didn't.

fantomena

Yass!! Finished up Demon's Souls with the exception of 3 trophies. Damn good game, but very ugly too. Needs a texture overhaul/remaster.

That means Ive finished Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Dark Souls 2 and Bloodborne.

Parsnip

Bunch of new additions to my ignore list from that Sweeney thread.

Some of the posts are really quite amazing.

Yass!! Finished up Demon's Souls with the exception of 3 trophies. Damn good game, but very ugly too. Needs a texture overhaul/remaster.

Platinum or bust.

Shantae and This war of mine, both on my wishlist...well, awesome bundle (for those who purchased it, of course).
I didn't.

This War of Mine is in the next bundle, not this one. You could still purchase it.

I'm debating whether I'm getting the next one. That game will be a duplicate for me. But the only Monthly I didn't buy so far had a few games I wanted, so I might just do it for the gamble.

2 things:
1) I need a good sale on Nuclear Throne already.
2) Does anyone have any idea what's going on with Kingdom Under Fire 2? It was supposed to get PC/PS4 release around this time, but all news on it is pretty outdated. Those games on Xbox were so solid.

Ozium

This War of Mine is in the next bundle, not this one. You could still purchase it.

I'm debating whether I'm getting the next one. That game will be a duplicate for me. But the only Monthly I didn't buy so far had a few games I wanted, so I might just do it for the gamble.

2 things:
1) I need a good sale on Nuclear Throne already.
2) Does anyone have any idea what's going on with Kingdom Under Fire 2? It was supposed to get PC/PS4 release around this time, but all news on it is pretty outdated. Those games on Xbox were so solid.

you should cancel your Monthly subscription so that Nuclear Throne gets added next month.. ;)

a resolution boost would do wonders for it. Just look at how great Dark Souls looks simply by bumping up the res.

That sony hasn't simply knocked out a Demon's Souls remaster is beyond me at this point. But hey, if it wasn't for Atlus the souls series wouldn't have taken off in the west anyhow

Ludens

Banned

Eh, but what if I'm not interested in the other games? Take this month: I'm missing Shantae but I have Wasteland 2 and not interested into I'm Bread.

I hate this monthly thing :(

Dr.Acula

Banned

Crazy, Demon's Souls is still playable?

Oh yeah, absolutely.

There are still things about Demon's that i really love compared to Dark, like the Nexus and some of the story things that play out there if you're paying attention

fuck
patches and yurt

but i do enjoy the whole conquer-a-stage-in-one-shot nature of the game. It makes everything so much more intense than Dark Souls.

You need to beat this stage to continue, you need to do it without dying, you need to get fucking good.

fantomena

Not for everyone.

Oh yeah, absolutely.

There are still things about Demon's that i really love compared to Dark, like the Nexus and some of the story things that play out there if you're paying attention

fuck
patches and yurt

Fuck these. Fuck'em to hell and back again so I can fuck'em to hell once more. Goddamn these pieces of shits. Especially in close corridor, holy shit those damn shitheads.

mind-flayer.jpg

Phawx

Good gravy. So, I love my R9 290. I got it cheap over a 1.5 years ago but it's the reference card model so the fan can get super duper loud. Moreso when you are trying to run games at 4k. I used to be get away with auto noise cancelling, but now I actually have to demux my mic audio and take it to audacity to remove noise and then mux the mic audio back in.

Next GPU I get better have crazy cooling on it.

This Humble Monthly was pretty good. Since I have the 10% off and still haven't bought South Park or This War of Mine, think I'll go into next month as well.

Edit: Why is Demon's Souls not playable anymore?

you should cancel your Monthly subscription so that Nuclear Throne gets added next month.. ;)

You ain't lying. That's exactly what would happen.

Oh yeah, absolutely.

fuck
patches and yurt

The entire encounter and storyline reveal of
Maiden Astraea
is the best in any Souls series. It perfectly captures the ethos of the series.

Demon's remains my favorite. Viable bleed and poison builds!

zkylon

zkylewd
See, I'm not looking for a "holy shit" moment per se. Especially since I apparently keep missing them. Braid had one as well? Did it have to do with the books? I tried reading the first one and couldn't take any more, so I just skipped the rest when it appeared that they weren't gameplay-relevant.

braid has some pretty cool stuff regarding its story and figuring it out some of its mechanics

pretty full of eureka and holy shit moments

that moment in fez is one of my favorites in all videogames, just the way a game can reveal a whole new dimension to itself
(in fez' case, literally)
just when you thought you had it figured out

the witness has its share of that, and some of it really left me feeling like "it was in front of my fucking face all along!" but nothing quite as insane as the big reveal in fez

but yeah multi-layered games like these are something to be treasured imo, it took me a lot to find that other dimension to the witness but when i did it just changed everything

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Good gravy. So, I love my R9 290. I got it cheap over a 1.5 years ago but it's the reference card model so the fan can get super duper loud. Moreso when you are trying to run games at 4k. I used to be get away with auto noise cancelling, but now I actually have to demux my mic audio and take it to audacity to remove noise and then mux the mic audio back in.

Next GPU I get better have crazy cooling on it.

I bought this card and I've been super happy with it. The combination water / air cooling means that those fans are barely audible and make about as much noise as my case fans do. My previous card I installed an aftermarket cooler that helped a lot but even it wasn't as quiet as my new card.

Hey, Path of exile patch is out? No hype? :p

If it weren't for some other major adventure remaster releasing today on that "kid system" I have, I'd probably be jumping back in this weekend.

we shouldn't be proud for this ;_;

Finished Undertale. It actually is as good as everyone says. Quoting you, since I think your avatar is currently Undyne... anyway:

I only had a few complaints overall, but it's still very good and I feel it was a steal at the $8 or so I bought it for during the Chinese/Lunar New Year sale.

Other than the one developer decision I consider flawed design and not having patched the game so it will run if the player is using the Steam Beta Client, the only other issue I had was that it has no native controller support (which is why the fact that I can't run the game in the beta client is annoying, as I don't want to have to go into BPM just to fix my bindings for the Steam controller).

I do find myself wondering if this gem will end up on other platforms, and if the game does eventually make it onto MS or Sony consoles, how Toby Fox will handle his Klei "Don't Starve" stance on achievements/trophies... but unless that happens and he becomes Klei Jr., I don't have a problem with the lack of achievements/trophies in Undertale as the game is good enough for me to overlook it. I don't buy into his reasoning on skipping them, but it's not my game, so...

Anyway, for once, the general buzz about a game seems to have been right. I don't know that I'd go back for another run at the moment, but I do find the alternate extreme path to the one I took very interesting and I may take a look at doing a run of that sort in the future.

Also, the soundtrack is amazeballs.

Bunch of new additions to my ignore list from that Sweeney thread.

Some of the posts are really quite amazing.

Platinum or bust.

Surprising that certain people aren't on your ignore list from this thread, apparently...
But yes, platinum or bust indeed. Good luck with that pure bladestone. And as a secondary concern, cloudstone chunks were a bit of a pain.
With my recent platinum (third time, essentially) of DS2:SotFS on my PS4, I now have platinums for Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin, and Bloodborne. Should Dark Souls 3 live up to the quality I expect of FROM, I would wager I will eventually pick up a copy of DS3 on PS4 (depending on how good the performance is, I suppose) and continue the streak.

Braid's twist is a narrative one. It got a couple of levels to the story, one about the creation of nukes and the other about the princess trying to actually get away from you to be saved and such. Maybe they're just the same story told differently using metaphors and such, i dont quite remember, but at least Braid's moment to moment gameplay was much more engaging that Fez's and it didn't rely on that stuff to make it decent.

328k for Rock Band 4 PC so far. Come on PC community don't let me down now.

wow that's a surprise, i thought self respecting pc gamers would just let them hang out to dry like they did to us for nearly a decade, especially since apparently they can't even fund this last-ditch-effort port to PC without our help

Vlad

Braid's twist is a narrative one. It got a couple of levels to the story, one about the
creation of nukes and the other about the princess trying to actually get away from you to be saved and such.
Maybe they're just the same story told differently using metaphors and such, i dont quite remember, but at least Braid's moment to moment gameplay was much more engaging that Fez's and it didn't rely on that stuff to make it decent.

Hah, yeah, I don't recally anything about
nukes. I did kind of catch on to that whole thing with the princess at the end, which was kind of a nice touch.

I completely agree with the "moment to moment gameplay" stuff. The base game itself has to be good before you start tacking on all this extra junk to it. Fez just felt like a pretty proof-of-concept.

Maybe they're just the same story told differently using metaphors and such, i dont quite remember, but at least Braid's moment to moment gameplay was much more engaging that Fez's and it didn't rely on that stuff to make it decent.

That stuff about Braid's narrative is kinda spoiler-ish, even if I thought it wasn't really much of a surprise/revelation myself. I deleted it from the quote, but you may want to consider tagging it.

As for Braid's gameplay being more engaging? I think the exact opposite. Most of Braid was either too obvious or too obtuse for me. And I hated the art style and was not invested in the story, either. While I didn't really find the story of Fez to be engaging, the gameplay was much better for me, even if I didn't care to try to complete the decoding puzzles on my own.

I completely agree with the "moment to moment gameplay" stuff. The base game itself has to be good before you start tacking on all this extra junk to it. Fez just felt like a pretty proof-of-concept.

Not as blatant a spoiler as the post I quoted above, but again, you may want to consider spoiler tagging some of the stuff I deleted from the quote.

zkylon

zkylewd
Finished Undertale. It actually is as good as everyone says. Quoting you, since I think your avatar is currently Undyne... anyway:

I only had a few complaints overall, but it's still very good and I feel it was a steal at the $8 or so I bought it for during the Chinese/Lunar New Year sale.

Other than the one developer decision I consider flawed design and not having patched the game so it will run if the player is using the Steam Beta Client, the only other issue I had was that it has no native controller support (which is why the fact that I can't run the game in the beta client is annoying, as I don't want to have to go into BPM just to fix my bindings for the Steam controller).

I do find myself wondering if this gem will end up on other platforms, and if the game does eventually make it onto MS or Sony consoles, how Toby Fox will handle his Klei "Don't Starve" stance on achievements/trophies... but unless that happens and he becomes Klei Jr., I don't have a problem with the lack of achievements/trophies in Undertale as the game is good enough for me to overlook it. I don't buy into his reasoning on skipping them, but it's not my game, so...

Anyway, for once, the general buzz about a game seems to have been right. I don't know that I'd go back for another run at the moment, but I do find the alternate extreme path to the one I took very interesting and I may take a look at doing a run of that sort in the future.

Also, the soundtrack is amazeballs.
yeah, i mean, i don't tend to recommend bad stuff so what did you expect :>

the overlay stuff is definitely a gamemaker thing but i dunno why no controller support tbh. i know toby fox is not really a programmer but from experience it's really easy to set up basic 360 controls in gm studio at least. the beta thing might be a gm thing too.

also yea the soundtrack is fantastic, i listen to it while i'm at work, really gets me rolling

That stuff about Braid's narrative is kinda spoiler-ish, even if I thought it wasn't really much of a surprise/revelation myself. I deleted it from the quote, but you may want to consider tagging it.

As for Braid's gameplay being more engaging? I think the exact opposite. Most of Braid was either too obvious or too obtuse for me. And I hated the art style and was not invested in the story, either. While I didn't really find the story of Fez to be engaging, the gameplay was much better for me, even if I didn't care to try to complete the decoding puzzles on my own.

Not as blatant a spoiler as the post I quoted above, but again, you may want to consider spoiler tagging some of the stuff I deleted from the quote.

eh, it's a nearly decade old game. I think anything past a few years is fair game, tbh. who knows, maybe someone who was already interested in the game will now play it knowing there's a bit of depth to it. Plus, no one plays games in these threads.

corrosivefrost said:

you can edit and check configs without going into BPM now :p

Knurek

I bought this card and I've been super happy with it. The combination water / air cooling means that those fans are barely audible and make about as much noise as my case fans do. My previous card I installed an aftermarket cooler that helped a lot but even it wasn't as quiet as my new card.

I've been very, nay, extremely happy with MSI GPUs.
I mean, 750TI was pretty much inaudible. Such a pity I didn't decide for their version of 970 - by all accounts doesn't even spin the fans while idle/desktop and under load it's even quieter than 750TI!

Knurek

The wording does sound strange, but I don't mind if they held off porting the Atelier games until they have sorted out their porting department.

Maybe Gust is a bit like ATLUS JP in that they simply hate PCs.
(Which would be weird considering Gust started out as a PC-98 developer)

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Madridista, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Frozen Synapse -- MB-28EF15F45842668F - Taken by Darth Kupi. 2 entrants total.

t1457126296z1.png

Parsnip

^ I enjoy the look of that Momodora game. Would I need to play the previous entries, is there a story?

Surprising that certain people aren't on your ignore list from this thread, apparently...
But yes, platinum or bust indeed. Good luck with that pure bladestone.
I don't block many people, someone needs to really really get on my nerves before I pull the trigger. Usually if I don't find someone's posts particularly interesting in general, they just kind of automatically turn into background noise.

Unless there are trigger words like Demon's Souls. :p

A momentus occasion captured on camera.
pure_bladestone_by_majorparsnip-d7a4nt3.jpg

eh, it's a nearly decade old game. I think anything past a few years is fair game, tbh. who knows, maybe someone who was already interested in the game will now play it knowing there's a bit of depth to it. Plus, no one plays games in these threads.

you can edit and check configs without going into BPM now :p

Better to be safe than to be that guy. But hey, if you wanna be the guy who might spoil it for someone who hasn't gotten around to playing it yet... *shrug*

And yes, you can... if you're in the beta client. But Undertale won't run in the beta client, so... I could either:

(1) Go into BPM mode and configure/rebind or
(2) Opt back into the beta, restart, configure outside of BPM, opt out of the beta, restart, then launch Undertale.

Before I remembered that I had to opt out of the beta to get Undertale to run, I right clicked it to try and then said a bunch of curse words when the option wasn't there.

Pachimari

I just signed up for Fig but is there any way to add games I'm interested in to a list? Kind of like marking projects with a star on Kickstarter?

[edit]Seems like there's spoiler talk on this page? I'm skipping over it. As long as I won't be spoiled on Braid or Fez, if that's one of the two games you're talking about. Please spoiler-tag any spoilers in tags.

^ I enjoy the look of that Momodora game. Would I need to play the previous entries, is there a story?

I don't block many people, someone needs to really really get on my nerves before I pull the trigger. Usually if I don't find someone's posts particularly interesting in general, they just kind of automatically turn into background noise.

Unless there are trigger words like Demon's Souls. :p

A momentus occasion captured on camera.
pure_bladestone_by_majorparsnip-d7a4nt3.jpg

I ended up at a ridiculous SL after like 10 hours of farming the skeletons in 4-2. What a boring bit of grinding that was. Thankfully FROM hasn't been that ridiculous in the subsequent games using the same mechanics.

As for Momodora, I don't think the story is anything you need to have played previous games for. Momodora III was a good time, even if I had problems getting it to run on my 770 and had to opt to play on my netbook instead. I didn't feel like I was missing out because the story is pretty basic/generic and the real draw is the platforming/combat. And that part is pretty good.

hows is momodora 3 anyways?

do u guys recommend it?

Yeah, it was solid.
As someone else said, I think Momodora I & II are free to play/download/whatever, so you could always check those out to see if you like the gameplay before jumping in on III or the new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom