• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2017 - IT'S MAHVEL BAYBEE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Wow, trying out The Talos Principle on Linux with Vulkan and I'm hitting performance that's in the same ballpark as DX11 on Windows. My 970 was struggling to stay above 60 fps the last time I tried Linux. Now it's well above that. Very impressive.

Also, the Humble Freedom Bundle added a ton of Linux games to my account. So I guess I'll stay on Linux for a while.

Yeah, Croteam has put a lot of effort into fine-tuning its Vulkan renderer. It's actually ditching DX9 entirely in the near future and DX11 will probably follow at some point considering the most-used discrete GPU on Steam that doesn't support Vulkan is the GTX 630 at 0.25%. That would change to various GPUs that don't even chart at 0.01% if Nvidia were to extend its Vulkan support to Fermi-based GPUs.

dex3108

john wick 2 really made me want to play gta 4 again

i know it's cool to hate on gta 4 but i really like new york as a setting and few games do new york as good as it does it

trying to think of other games i may like set there, i already played max payne 1&2 (aka the good ones) and parasite eve, and i like the blackwell games quite a bit, but not sure which others are there

I still think that GTA IV has most grounded story of all GTA games. But gameplay and story are really disconnected from each other.

Knurek

oh wow, that's a high praise indeed
is it long? I might move it up on my list, to play after Firis.

Game 3: Technobabylon - started on 30.12.2016, finished on 11.01.2017 (12:15) - ★★★★★

That's for playing the game with commentary and minimal guide usage than another run for achievement hunting, reduce the time by 3-4 hours if you don't want any of the above.

Hakkelus

I still think that GTA IV has most grounded story of all GTA games. But gameplay and story are really disconnected from each other.

I really like the things in GTA IV that most of the people seem to hate: Driving and walking/running. I like the "realism" and the sense of weight.

It doesn't help that KT ports are all over the place. You got good, bad, and everything in the middle.

They wouldn't dare to fuck up Nioh port. They wouldn't!

I'd sue them if they did.

I dunno, if they release Nioh at $60 with a Tecmo port I can see it flopping big time.

Toukiden 2 is going to flop everywhere on every platform. I don't know why it exists.

I'm simply looking at the reception of Souls games on Steam. But yeah, the problem is that two of them kinda released at the same time as console. Depending on when they're gonna release it, $40 to $50 would be ideal. But people would still to buy it even at $60.

Games frequently turn a profit with <100,000 sales. Determined by development/marketing budgets, Touikoden 2 likely uses reused assets and animations similar to Monster Hunter.

It went from being tiny mission based arenas to an open world game so I dunno about that. Pretty sure it did bad in Japan as well. If it's a good port I'll eventually pick it up at some point anyway since Monster Hunter on Steam seems like it's probably not happening for some reason.

Amzin

on steam you just press "watch game" on anyone

Mine is set to all friends can watch. I can't imagine how anyone who isn't on my friends list would even know I exist. I don't think I have a ton of you on there still though :p

Ya'll could have seen me die a billion times in Hallow Knight tonight. Stupid laggy boss fight.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Mine is set to all friends can watch. I can't imagine how anyone who isn't on my friends list would even know I exist. I don't think I have a ton of you on there still though :p

Ya'll could have seen me die a billion times in Hallow Knight tonight. Stupid laggy boss fight.

I watched Ozium die instead. He's not ashamed of people seeing how shit he is.

Ghazi

Most of them have this on their store page:

Also, someone sent me a support chat they got a reply on because they were getting the VAC disconnect error. So it looks like Valve is definitely "detecting" Idle Master now.

I started using Idlemaster for the first time yesterday and kept getting booted from CSGO VAC enabled servers with idlemaster running (not idling, just forgot the exe was running), which didn't happen before.

E: It's happening without Idlemaster running now, wouldn't recommend using IM if you play CS.

zkylon

zkylewd
I really like the things in GTA IV that most of the people seem to hate: Driving and walking/running. I like the "realism" and the sense of weight.
i liked the "realism" too, the sense of place in that city is just second to none, so much attention to detail and atmosphere, it's really breathtaking. it's something i found very lacking in gta 5, sadly

the story i don't like in any gta game, they're all trash

dex3108

i liked the "realism" too, the sense of place in that city is just second to none, so much attention to detail and atmosphere, it's really breathtaking. it's something i found very lacking in gta 5, sadly

the story i don't like in any gta game, they're all trash

I like San Andreas and GTA IV stories the most. They are grounded and main characters are common folks that rise in criminal environment but they want to be better than that.

Deques

Valve added "Steam Idlers" to their list of software that can conflict with VAC systems.

So like I've said all along, don't run Idle Master or other similar software while connected to a VAC-enabled game/server. This doesn't necessarily mean that you will be VAC banned for using such programs. And no, I have no intention of trying to play cat and mouse with Valve to try to keep Idle Master "undetectable".

While you aren't going to play cat and mouse game with Valve, is it possible to check a game is VAC-enabled before idling that game? I am not asking you to add such feature, just wondering

JaseC

JaseC

The risk of getting VAC-banned would be zero

While true, I'd say the odds of Valve actually adding Idle Master to the blacklist are effectively zero as it doesn't confer any sort of benefit in multiplayer games and it's in Valve's interest to turn a blind eye to people having a simpler way of obtaining cards that are only of any use within the Steam ecosystem.

Vuze

Most of them have this on their store page:

Also, someone sent me a support chat they got a reply on because they were getting the VAC disconnect error. So it looks like Valve is definitely "detecting" Idle Master now.
Why the hell would they run Idle Master alongside any game anyway?
So basically, nothing to worry about at all. Good.

While true, I'd say the odds of Valve actually adding Idle Master to the blacklist are effectively zero as it doesn't confer any sort of benefit in multiplayer games and it's in Valve's interest to turn a blind eye to people having a simpler way of obtaining cards that are only of any use within the Steam ecosystem.

Plus I suspect it would disproportionately target their biggest buyers/users. I can't see Valve cutting off their nose to spite their face.

zkylon

zkylewd
I like San Andreas and GTA IV stories the most. They are grounded and main characters are common folks that rise in criminal environment but they want to be better than that.
idk to me story is almost irrevocably tied to characters and rockstar has always been shit at writing characters

i don't play gta 4 for the story tho, i just like being immersed in that world

Pixieking

Banned
Since this is March 1st, a quick look back at the sales for high-profile Steam games launched in February. Once again, the placement is pretty arbitrary.

Great/Good
Torment: Tides of Numenera (still early) - 62,538 ±7,767

Note that this was Kickstarter'd, and that KS backers got their keys awhile ago (I registered my key as soon as I got it on 10th June last year).

200w.gif

ModBot said:
[

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (bobnowhere, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Just Bones -- MB-A2F80DE203762B7C - Taken by Wok
Monster RPG 2 -- MB-558823366C120FFD - Taken by dot

Deques

I lost an entire category in my Steam library for some odd reason. And that category listed all my finished games in 2017. Luckily I am able to list all games that I finished this year, it's not much as Tizoc and Rhaknar, only 14 games

Mivey

Even in my cyberpunk indie adventure game I can't escape anime.

I really don't like it when the game pulls stuff like this, but it's been engrossing otherwise.
I don't remember that when I played through the pre 2064 version. Guess they added that later. The style of Read Only Memories is kinda anime-ish, tough.

kagamin

Phew, that second area boss fight in Ys Origin was tough, having to deal with all the external factors at once and ending the fight with 1 health, TOO CLOSE. Beat it at level 16, tell me if this is below the recommended level for hard mode lol. But for now... onto the fire area!

I don't remember that when I played through the pre 2064 version. Guess they added that later. The style of Read Only Memories is kinda anime-ish, tough.
Oh shit, how do I trigger that? I never did get it when I played.
Cyberpunk anime has been around since the 80s, you got Snatcher/Policenauts for one thing.
I use all the available options on most things, so I can't remember the specific one but it came from looking/using/talking at the tough boy graffiti.

Tizoc

So my laptop doesn't have DSR option and I have no idea how to get Cheat Engine to raise the resolution beyond 1600x900 meaning I keep playing this windowed on Windows 10 @_@
I know Rayge linked to a site that offered a way to set it up but I am still confused.

Deques

Reminder

header.jpg

Today is the last day to buy Shovel Knight at reduced price. After today the price will increase.

Best place to buy it would be the Humble Store if you got the extra 10% off, plus you'll get a DRM-free version

Momentary

Banned
So my laptop doesn't have DSR option and I have no idea how to get Cheat Engine to raise the resolution beyond 1600x900 meaning I keep playing this windowed on Windows 10 @_@
I know Rayge linked to a site that offered a way to set it up but I am still confused.

You can only use Cheat Engine to hack in supported monitor/DSR resolutions. It won't allow you to use resolutions beyond that.

Bluth54

Valve added "Steam Idlers" to their list of software that can conflict with VAC systems.

So like I've said all along, don't run Idle Master or other similar software while connected to a VAC-enabled game/server. This doesn't necessarily mean that you will be VAC banned for using such programs. And no, I have no intention of trying to play cat and mouse with Valve to try to keep Idle Master "undetectable".

This doesn't surprise me. Recently a TF2 Youtuber visited Valve and he was told by one of the members of the TF2 team that he manually banned around 100,000 TF2 idle accounts/bots that day. I can't imagine how many idle bots/accounts there are for all 3 of Valve's games.

Edit: I was wrong it was 200,000 bot accounts.

I mostly really enjoyed GTA IV. It would've been a great game without the "hey cousin, let's go bowling" etc etc. That stuff really annoyed me.

fantomena

Decided to get Zelda on my Wii U simply due to it's the only thing tha tinterests me for the moment, Im barely even interested in Splatoon 2 (had lots of fun with the first one) and Mario Odyssey.

And Ive barely had time to start Horizon. Just done the first main quest.

I need more time.

So, i decided to play another G&#822;a&#822;m&#822;e&#822; &#822;D&#822;e&#822;v&#822; &#822;T&#822;y&#822;c&#822;o&#822;o&#822;n&#822; Game Dev Story clone, GamersGoMakers. Played through full timeline, from 80s to 2025, and managed to become an owner of multibillion dollar corporation.
Main fun in this kind of games is to create your own story of success while using real game titles. I spent first ten in-game years trying to figure right combinations of game parts (like gameplay, graphics, sound, story, etc.) for each genre. First big financial success we gained after switching to PC platform and releasing in 1984 our first RPG, The Elder Scrolls. During 80s our company created five TES games, but franchise was not very profitable (maybe it's because of confusion with names, TES4 was mistakenly named as TES3), The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim sold only 27k copies overall. After signing few deals with publishers, struggling in getting more money for research and education programs for employees, our (partially) annual train simulator series Trainz 1992 suddenly received incredible reviews and sold like hotcakes. With creating our own in-house engine, everything went in right direction, Trainz 1994 sold x3 more than previous Trainz entry, and soon after that Gears of War became our first 1+ million units sold title. Unfortunately, despite all our efforts, people didn't liked Fallout games much.
90s was very easy for us, our company continued to experiment with genres, in a meantime releasing sequels and remasters for most profitable titles. We also bought few rival studios, to force them to create endless sport simulators and quiz games for eternity. After researching multiplatform development in early 00s, we created one of our definitive franchise - Tomb Raider, impressive mix of action and adventure genres. 100+ million profits slightly increased our marketing budgets, and we started to milk Tomb Raider franchise like crazy. Sequels every year, even MMORPG about Tomb Raider universe, we were swimming in cash like Scrooge McDuck. But it's not a TR was a main success of our corporation - concerned that people possibly burnt out with yearly releases, we released completely different game, racing simulator Forza Horizon, and it sold even better than latest TR game, despite lower scores from press. Released year later, Forza Horizon 2 sold insanely well, over 26 millions units and almost 1$ billion profit, it became best-selling video game ever, excluding titles that was bundled with consoles.
So, what will you do with all that money? Create your own console, of course! From this moment i'll try to smoothly move from my story to flaws that GamersGoMakers have. After releasing our shiny new console on market, it didn't sell well, despite all marketing and games that acquired studios were releasing exclusively for it. Apparently, it was because we didn't created "exclusives" for console launch - GamersGoMakers devs have some weird definition of "exclusive game", you can develop exclusive game only during console manufacturing period, and those games will not receive scores and will be selling only bundled with all console units. After creating few consoles, i noticed that all those fancy looking tables are missing one very important thing - money that you spent on development and marketing. As you can notice on previous pictures, literally every game, despite bundled titles (which just doesn't counts at all), was profitable - but this is wrong, game calculating profits only by removing discs production costs from total income. Same about consoles, selling hardware in this game is most profitable thing ever, which is far from true in real life.
The more you play, extend your company and buy more rooms, the more it's obviously how clunky is UI. Some things you can control directly from your office, but a lot other things are hidden in different rooms. For example you can announce your upcoming titles and organize annual events to promote your current console or new game in PR-room, but it required 4-5 clicks to access that room! Not to mention that setting highest possible budget required 10-20 more clicks, you can't immediately set every value at max and move on. You can also create publishing contracts for other companies in publishing room, but you won't use this feature because of same problem, it required to much time to create every single contract. More confusing, some rooms have additional options, and some aren't. Overall, UI in this game is mess, it very confusing sometimes and have noticeable delay after clicking on some buttons, also game sometimes forgetting to show reviews screens or explain what happened, for example i don't know why first addon for Civilization 5 didn't sell at all.
I think, that's a main problem of all game dev simulators - they are not perfect and have flaws in some fields, even Game Dev Tycoon, which is probably most polished game in this sub-genre, did some things even worse than GamersGoMakers. But they still fun to play for the first time, before you'll figure out right combinations for creating games with perfect scores. I spent 8 hours on this game and regret nothing, but i'll probably never come back and play it again.
P.S. For some reasons, this game didn't support steam overlay, manually adding screenshots to steam "remote" folder didn't do shit, but it worked for me with Tomb Raider: Legend (oh, the irony!). And yes, i basically named console as "Tomb Raider box" and bundled it with Tomb Raider Online game - surprisingly, it works. Also, never abandon PC gaming if you want crazy profits, exclusivity preventing your games from selling like gangbusters.
And sorry for such long post, it was unintentional

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom