• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2017 - IT'S MAHVEL BAYBEE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I played 14 hours of Atelier Sophie over the weekend and I know I've barely scratched the surface, it really is the crafting game I've always wanted.

I played 60 hours and probably spent 20 hours in crafting. :D There is so much possibility with fun!

Also Sophie Nier fan too. :p

a17_2017_03_10_01_32_gkjop.png

Fuuuuuuccck Hollow Knight is really good. Played for like 5 hours last night. Found some cool movement tech and am really loving the art. Looknig like this one is likely to hit my GOTY list if it keeps up.
Mmm, yeah. I see what Amzin meant, it's feelin' less Shovel Knight-y now and a bit more (ability spoiler?)
Mega Man X with the wall sliding and jumping
. I don't think the game is as much a Metroidvania because it's feeling more authentically Metroid that it can nix the vania suffix.

I'm just really enjoying it from top to bottom. Atmosphere, environments, art, music, and the simple but solid feel of the combat are all top notch.

Putting the image in a spoiler tag because I really don't know how much people would consider spoiler-y, but it's just a nice lookin' spot I enjoyed the sights from.

Corpekata

Banned
I don't get "forcing ones self to play games".

I mean, I hate to look like I'm dragging on Trails in the Sky here, but that's a good example of a game I had to force myself to play a few times because I wanted to see what the hubbub was about. And I eventually really liked it Some games just don't really sell you at the start, especially if mechanics are not their strong suit.

Ascheroth

Any news about a Nier preload yet? We're getting close.
That download is going to take me a day, and I'd like to get it out of the way before the release :/

Tonton

I kinda need to "force" myself to play Persona 3 eventually because i made a deal with a friend that i would play it and he would play TitS (he already played all the localized games heh) and he won't play the Ys games until I do

But I don't want to feel like i'm forcing myself to do it either

I mean, I hate to look like I'm dragging on Trails in the Sky here, but that's a good example of a game I had to force myself to play a few times because I wanted to see what the hubbub was about. And I eventually really liked it Some games just don't really sell you at the start, especially if mechanics are not their strong suit.

I never felt like i had to force myself to play it but even thought i love the game i dropped it for a long time around chapter 2 before coming back and finishing it and falling in love

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Any news about a Nier preload yet? We're getting close.
That download is going to take me a day, and I'd like to get it out of the way before the release :/

Squeenix generally allows a few days to download its big-ticket new releases, so with any luck the pre-load period will kick off some time tomorrow.

Hektor

I kinda need to "force" myself to play Persona 3 eventually because i made a deal with a friend that i would play it and he would play TitS (he already played all the localized games heh) and he won't play the Ys games until I do

But I don't want to feel like i'm forcing myself to do it either

Persona 3 is a fantastic videogame tho

Tonton

Yeah, just going to retire Hollow Knight. 31 hours and it doesn't get to go on my 52 games list. Sucks.
Just leave the game for some months then come back and beat the boss effortlessly

Always works

I liked what I played (Tartarus sucks) but my PS2 stopped working and now I have to restart it and I can't get myself in the mood to

Ascheroth

Squeenix generally allows a few days to download its big-ticket new releases, so with any luck the pre-load period will kick off some time tomorrow.
*crosses fingers*
Just leave the game for some months then come back and beat the boss effortlessly

Always works
Personally I always complain on GAF whenever I'm stuck somewhere and usually it resolves itself shortly after!

Tizoc

Yeah, just going to retire Hollow Knight. 31 hours and it doesn't get to go on my 52 games list. Sucks.
Just look up where to get health and attack upgrades then gomback and whack that boss
Having notches and charms should help taking him down easier

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

I mean, don't people look at previews or videos?

Corpekata

Banned
Persona series is a good example too really. Especially 4. If you're not into that slice of life high school stuff I can imagine having to force yourself through it to get to the good stuff. Especially latecomers since that aspect has proliferated through a handful of imitators.

Teggy

Always works

I liked what I played (Tartarus sucks) but my PS2 stopped working and now I have to restart it and I can't get myself in the mood to

Just look up where to get health and attack upgrades then gomback and whack that boss
Having notches and charms should help taking him down easier

Apparently there are 5 more weapon upgrades that I missed (although not necessarily easy to get). Maybe I will go back somewhere down the line. Kind of had enough for now.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
C'mon, I'm sure more than one of you has told someone to solider through 300 episodes of One Piece to get to the "good stuff."

It's basically that.

gngf123

Persona series is a good example too really. Especially 4. If you're not into that slice of life high school stuff I can imagine having to force yourself through it to get to the good stuff. Especially latecomers since that aspect has proliferated through a handful of imitators.

If you aren't into the slice of life high school stuff then why would you be playing Persona 3/4. The dungeon gameplay is awful compared to nearly anything else Atlus has made.

Amzin

Apparently there are 5 more weapon upgrades that I missed (although not necessarily easy to get). Maybe I will go back somewhere down the line. Kind of had enough for now.

Yea that was honestly one of the easiest fights in the game (I think some people complained about how easy it was, being what it is), but if you have no upgrades to your damage I could see it being more annoying. I failed my first try but only got hit once the second time. His moves are way more telegraphed than most I felt like.

Probably ideal charms for it:
I don't recall names, but the one where you don't push yourself back on hits, the attack speed boost, and you can use one of the range increases if you want. Any of the tank ones are fine too. Max upgraded nail + shadow dash + the speed/no knockback charms and you can destroy him in a matter of 20-30 seconds. I think you can even just face tank and kill him before your health runs out at that point. The other end boss on the other hand.... holy crap. Don't even bother :p

Teppic

I didn't know Nier is going to have Denuvo. Oh well, another game I don't have to buy! At this point in time that's actually good news.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Of course? I'm not sure what that means in this context though. What do previews and videos have to do with forcing yourself to play a game?

I mean, previews and such would give a person an idea on what to expect so it wouldn't feel like they're forcing on playing the game.

Corpekata

Banned
If you aren't into the slice of life high school stuff then why would you be playing Persona 3/4. The dungeon gameplay is awful compared to nearly anything else Atlus has made.

There's more to the games than the high school stuff. And 4 starts off with very light story, only a few characters (with Yosuke dominating it way too much) and is very linear for a couple hours. It's not necessarily representative of the majority of the game, or even the actual slice of life mechanics. I mean, I don't care about the actual high school aspect of it, but I do like the idea of social links and whatnot, so I bore through it.

I mean, previews and such would give a person an idea on what to expect so it wouldn't feel like they're forcing on playing the game.

Well, like morningbus said. Sometimes the good part needs to be slogged through. Like getting through Buffy season 1. A preview isn't neccesarily going to reflect the reality of playing something. Some games just have shitty intros, or shitty middles.

Amzin

so are the
moss knights
the best geo farming method in Hollow Knight, or is there a better way later?

I would say it's not worth farming at all, I ended the game with over 20,000 and everything in the game purchased. But there's definitely better spots, yea:
There's a bench in the fungal / mantis region, kinda lower-right corner, that's right next to a room with 2 of the big (but not huge) shrooms in it. They respawn every time you rest, and are easy to kill fast.

Edit: I keep forgetting to log in to Chrono.gg each day :(

Teggy

Yea that was honestly one of the easiest fights in the game (I think some people complained about how easy it was, being what it is), but if you have no upgrades to your damage I could see it being more annoying. I failed my first try but only got hit once the second time. His moves are way more telegraphed than most I felt like.

Probably ideal charms for it:
I don't recall names, but the one where you don't push yourself back on hits, the attack speed boost, and you can use one of the range increases if you want. Any of the tank ones are fine too. Max upgraded nail + shadow dash + the speed/no knockback charms and you can destroy him in a matter of 20-30 seconds. I think you can even just face tank and kill him before your health runs out at that point. The other end boss on the other hand.... holy crap. Don't even bother :p

Where he
starts bouncing around really fast
is usually where I was getting killed.

Hektor

No.
It's incredibly repetitive, and even disregarding that its core mechanics are average at best.

I don't disagree about the repetetiveness, Persona has always been a bit style over substance, but the coremechanics are good enough to support the rest of the game without making it boring or frustrating

The 2B cosplay R Rated stuff Ive seen cannot be unseen.
f0737e8c13.gif

yea, i really have no idea what you are talking about, gross

Only if you enjoy grinding the same horribly designed dungeon for a thousand floors. Oh and when you're not doing that you get to go to school.

The game is straight up trash. So much so that I never played 4 and never will. If it's the sequel to that game, I'm good.

Dunno why anyone would play Persona 3 when they could play SMT3 instead.

Rizzi

Only if you enjoy grinding the same horribly designed dungeon for a thousand floors. Oh and when you're not doing that you get to go to school.

The game is straight up trash. So much so that I never played 4 and never will. If it's the sequel to that game, I'm good.

I disagree with you on this stance.

Hektor

But that's the appeal?

Corpekata

Banned
Persona 3 sold me more on its mood, atmosphere, and characters (and I'd argue it starts off far more interesting thatn 4 does), but yeah, I would never fucking replay it at this point in my life. The combat and dungeons just would absolutely put me off any attempt.

Arthea

But that's the appeal?

that's not what appeal of Persona games originally was though, so I don't see why anybody should be expected to like it.

And also Persona 3 is indeed a bad game, it has a good set of characters, most of them anyway, that are wasted on such a bad game.

To be fair, Persona 4 is a better game but then again far from perfect.

BasilZero

I agree!

I started the persona series for the first time back in 2011 when the psp games came out.

I played p1p, p2 is and p3p back to back and loved every bit of it.

I played persona 4 on ps2 back in 2015 and have to say it's one of the best rpgs I ever played.

Hopefully we will see the series on steam/PC sometime in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom