• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2017 - IT'S MAHVEL BAYBEE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

Whew. Metal Gear Rising is a lot of fun when you don't have to deal with a 360 pad with analog drift. I ended up playing and finishing it over the weekend. Bring on Nier.

My favorite way to play MGR, that actually make me feel like a badass cyborg ninja is with a gully upgraded Fox Blade. You can just mow down all the regular enemies, and only the bosses are a challenge like it should be. Playing it that way made me appreciate the game more. Since originally I wasn't very big on it. In my eyes, raiden shouldn't really have to be dealing with cyborg cops and soldiers for more than a sec.

Volimar

The Western Digital externals are all pretty good. I've only had issues with the MyBooks (although, to be fair, the one I've got is pretty old by now).

Depending on what you want, you can go for the powered enclosures, or the plug-and-play ones (that draw power from the USB ports). The plug-and-play drives are great for storing backups or infrequently accessed data. For anything that requires 24/7 uptime and is always connected to your PC, I'd probably go with a powered enclosure.

Note that most externals are 5400 RPM, so if you want something in the 7200 RPM range you're better off getting a WD 7200 RPM Black drive and sticking it in an enclosure (although for games that don't stream from the disk frequently, it doesn't really matter). If you're just putting data on this external 5400 RPM is likely fine. Just make sure that whatever you get is USB 3.0 for the best read/write speeds.

Thanks for the info. I'm a bit behind the times when it comes to external memory. I just want some extra space for more Steam games. You think this will suffice?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CRZ2PRM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Sorry for the offtopic guys, it's just that if there's anyone's opinions I'd trust on more memory for games it'd be steamGAF.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 12 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

'n Verlore Verstand -- MB-87DC098E55B60F00 - Taken by data
Bulby: Diamond Course -- MB-08618488FDC2C6FA - Taken by septicore
Bullet Candy -- MB-EBC9FA9FEB1AD822 - Taken by Costa1774
Fire Arrow Plus -- MB-81CB4CEA8B3B0AB5 - Taken by Dangerblade
Interstellar Logistics Inc -- MB-8D881F8C159B142B - Taken by Mavromatis
Nuclear Contingency -- MB-676B29F901112F5A - Taken by Stumpokapow
Only One Hope -- MB-597D42B9E7FFB31C - Taken by Hakkelus
Project Xinatra -- MB-33E0B116D0D17861 - Taken by Baron_Calamity
Super Switch -- MB-E9E4AB44513E9DFF - Taken by fuzzy123
The Dungeons of Castle Madness -- MB-42C6137389B0EEDE - Taken by Purkake4
The Fall of Gods -- MB-584177A74B13FA66 - Taken by Mackenzie 92
WayOut -- MB-1EED662C5B892A5F - Taken by Kifimbo

Pachimari

No, because the games are set up around the specific geometry and animation skeleton of Batman/other characters and movement and combat works off that. Changing that just leads to the game crashing and/or clipping issues.

There are mods to play as Robin, Nightwing, or Catwoman in the later game during free roam however. Though that doesn't help for story mode and you obviously lose Batman's gadgets.
Yeah ok, this makes sense.

I think I'm gonna buy Planet Coaster today.

Thanks for the info. I'm a bit behind the times when it comes to external memory. I just want some extra space for more Steam games. You think this will suffice?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LQQHI8I/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I have the 4TB version of that drive and it's great. I'm not running games off of it, though (just backups and data storage).

I'd recommend bumping it up to the 2TB model at least (the price difference between 1TB and 2TB is ~$20). No sense in saving $20 when it gets you double the storage capacity.

A powered enclosure would likely be better for storing things that you'll be frequently accessing, but I don't think there would be a problem with using a Passport for that purpose. I'm not sure how it'll perform with running games off of it, due to it being designed primarily as a data-only drive, but it would likely be fine.

Note that the cable it comes with is pretty short, so unless you're sticking this on top of your PC with easy access to the ports in the back, you might want a longer cable.

Volimar

I have the 4TB version of that drive and it's great. I'm not running games off of it, though (just backups and data storage).

I'd recommend bumping it up to the 2TB model at least (the price difference between 1TB and 2TB is ~$20). No sense in saving $20 when it gets you double the storage capacity.

A powered enclosure would likely be better for storing things that you'll be frequently accessing, but I don't think there would be a problem with using a Passport for that purpose. I'm not sure how it'll perform with running games off of it, due to it being designed primarily as a data-only drive, but it would likely be fine.

Note that the cable it comes with is pretty short, so unless you're sticking this on top of your PC with easy access to the ports in the back, you might want a longer cable.

Great! Thanks for the help!

Great! Thanks for the help!

No problem. The 4TB one I've got is great -- it runs moderately cool and I haven't had any connection dropouts or sleep/wake problems. Looking at the reviews others are using it for their Xbox Ones and PS4s, so playing games off of it should be fine. Might just increase load times a bit due to being 5400 RPM.

Tizoc

Didn't get a message from CDKeys but the keys for Styx are up (got mine just now, at least). Might want to check your order status.

Waiting for Gamersgate to send mine. Then again I wouldn't be starting it til the 15th so I can wait a little longer :p

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
€12,79 for deus ex mankind divided if you log in: https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/deus-ex-mankind-divided/
Huh.
3CmTxk3.png

Nabs

My favorite way to play MGR, that actually make me feel like a badass cyborg ninja is with a gully upgraded Fox Blade. You can just mow down all the regular enemies, and only the bosses are a challenge like it should be. Playing it that way made me appreciate the game more. Since originally I wasn't very big on it. In my eyes, raiden shouldn't really have to be dealing with cyborg cops and soldiers for more than a sec.

I was so happy I could actually parry, i was accepting of any and all fights. I do want to go back and give it another playthrough soon, it should be fun with the upgrades.

Annubis

Since this made you so happy, I too shall confess to buying and playing the game.
I'm quite happy with the game and I'm impressed by how likeable the cast is. Usually in a JRPG, I like few of the characters but here, I'm hard pressed to choose who I use because I actually like every single one of them. Even fatso grew on me.

I really like that there is 0 schedule in this one.
I've dicked around so much, I'd probably have game overed twice already if there was one.

I'm a bit stuck though right now as everything the story asks of me has ingredients I have no idea where they are.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Whew. Metal Gear Rising is a lot of fun when you don't have to deal with a 360 pad with analog drift. I ended up playing and finishing it over the weekend. Bring on Nier.

VMYnyxK.gif

Rising is a blast. You would love Vanquish. If only they would port it to PC so we could experience it in 60 fps.

Nzyme32

Popped my Origin cherry by actually paying for games on there as opposed to retail / on the house. Picked up the deluxe Mass Effect 3 & Crysis 3, mostly because I seemed to glitch out the coupon section when I tried a code I found. Got both for £5 - a bearable cost imo. Oh how I laugh at you all and your Mass Effect Andromeda, while I will inevitably exist a game behind in every series I play. Still blasting through Witcher 2, which has taken a while for me to warm to. Quite liking it now, so excited to eventually try Witcher 3

Nzyme32

I think I knew I was going to like the game when the music suddenly had lyrics and yelped "rules of nature". Together with the rest of the singing and music fitting the action, I couldn't help but giggle. Sadly still not finished it. Will do so before I get Nier though - but hopefully by then we'll also have Vanquish and Bayo.... right?!

DasFool

Metal Gear Rising is the kind of game that is terrible at first, but feels better on a replay. There are so many problems with the normal missions (horrible camera, unblockable attacks from off screen, VERY tanky enemies, that asinine Raiden staggering section before Monsoon, bizarre dodge, etc.) that feel overlooked, in a way. I remember coming off of it rather lukewarm due to how much of a slog the normal battles were in comparison to the excellent boss fights. Thankfully, this is mostly circumvented once you get the Fox Blade and destroy everything, but it sure takes its sweet time getting there.

Overall, it doesn't nearly hit the high that Bayonetta 1/2 do, but it's an okay game altogether.

Nabs

]http://i.imgur.com/VMYnyxK.gif

Rising is a blast. You would love Vanquish. If only they would port it to PC so we could experience it in 60 fps.

I think I knew I was going to like the game when the music suddenly had lyrics and yelped "rules of nature". Together with the rest of the singing and music fitting the action, I couldn't help but giggle. Sadly still not finished it. Will do so before I get Nier though - but hopefully by then we'll also have Vanquish and Bayo.... right?!

ZAgmxae.gif

Metal Gear Rising is the kind of game that is terrible at first, but feels better on a replay. There are so many problems with the normal missions (horrible camera, unblockable attacks from off screen, VERY tanky enemies, that asinine Raiden staggering section before Monsoon, bizarre dodge, etc.) that feel overlooked, in a way. I remember coming off of it rather lukewarm due to how much of a slog the normal battles were in comparison to the excellent boss fights. Thankfully, this is mostly circumvented once you get the Fox Blade and destroy everything, but it sure takes its sweet time getting there.

Overall, it doesn't nearly hit the high that Bayonetta 1/2 do, but it's an okay game altogether.

You can slide underneath missiles fired from a robot velociraptor and slice the missiles to pieces while in slow motion. And that's not even a QTE. Therefore, it is godly.

The game is incredible in spite of the few issues it had and deserved a sequel that addressed them. And added HF wolverine claws.

FLD

Anybody got Styx key from Gamersgate yet?

Nah but the "key will be available on bla bla" message has been replaced by a download button, so it'll probably show up soon.

Do we know when the game unlocks, though? I assumed it was midnight for some reason but after making my last post I realized I didn't actually know. If it's only unlocking at 1PM tomorrow then it doesn't really matter, I guess. I'll just keep playing Hollow Knight a bit longer.

Haint

Is there any option to globally disable auto updates for all games, or do you really have to go through 1 by 1 checking the box?

Pachimari

No problem. The 4TB one I've got is great -- it runs moderately cool and I haven't had any connection dropouts or sleep/wake problems. Looking at the reviews others are using it for their Xbox Ones and PS4s, so playing games off of it should be fine. Might just increase load times a bit due to being 5400 RPM.

The higher RPM the less load time?

I'd say I've probably spent well over half my active play time (not including story and conversations) on crafting and messing with the crafting. I love how the story is just emergent as you play through things and it really does feed a desire I've had for a great single player game with crafting that I can remember wanting for at least over a decade. Still amazed that I won it and thankful for the exceptional generosity of the giver, and I'm glad my hype and interest hasn't been let down any.

Yes, lot of things are unique in Atelier Sophie (i'm only played Sophie from Atelier series) and charming. Also all characters have their unique personal, my favorite person is Fritz, always laughing when i see him, especially when he appear with his epic theme ost :D but all of them lovable with background story. Glad you enjoying so much! You also need to listen other Atelier soundtracks via BGM change in game from desk. (where you save/load your game) You can change musics from there as you like, i did Nefertiti as battle theme!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myTv7xp2iws

Parsnip

I ended up kind of sort of resenting MGR because people told me to play it on hard, and when it turned out that I didn't really enjoy the parry mechanic at all I didn't really have a lot of fun playing the game. On normal or easy I could have just slashed my way through and enjoy the ridiculous story at least.

I'm a bit stuck though right now as everything the story asks of me has ingredients I have no idea where they are.

You might need to talk to some people to get new gathering grounds or possibly craft some random stuff for some cutscene to trigger.

Anteater

I like MGR but also didn't like it that much, the AIs aren't that dynamic compared to something like Bayonetta, Vanquish and the DMC games

the last boss for example, you literally just mash a combo until it's stunned and you mash more combos, then you wait until the AI do their attacks, dodge whatever obvious area attacks it's going to do, then you repeat, it's basically mmo boss design and I hated it.

Vibranium

Banned
Still haven't played MGR yet, I will get on it. Also that Grey Fox MGR game Kojima and Platinum once considered would have been really cool. There's a good time gap to explore.

It would be especially amazing if the prologue was the Snake vs Frank Zanzibar Land minefield fist fight from MG2. Followed by gory cutscene showing Clark assembling him from a mess.

Jawmuncher

Still haven't played MGR yet, I will get on it. Also that Grey Fox MGR game Kojima and Platinum once considered have would be really cool. There's a good time gap to explore.

It would be especially amazing if the prologue was the Snake vs Frank Zanzibar Land minefield fist fight from MG2. Followed by gory cutscene showing Clark assembling him from a mess.

Anything Gray Fox would have been better than a story involving raiden.
Even if Raiden is technically stronger than gray fox, it was never fair considering he was basically the first. So he didn't get all the perfections raiden would get in 4 and MGR.

Gray Fox still the best supporting MGS character.

Vibranium

Banned
Anything Gray Fox would have been better than a story involving raiden.
Even if Raiden is technically stronger than gray fox, it was never fair considering he was basically the first. So he didn't get all the perfections raiden would get in 4 and MGR.

Gray Fox still the best supporting MGS character.

Yeah Gray Fox is better than Raiden, it is known.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 15 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

Vd1j7n6.png

Mystery Game -- MB-5C0D5C42EE6F0AE8 - Taken by Vlad

Mystery Game #10 -- MB-55BFD00029ED0898 - Taken by Nabae
Mystery Game #11 -- MB-FAEAFE68DC8A9FF5 - Taken by BlakeofT
Mystery Game #12 -- MB-C3500293BA1B19AA - Taken by Smeagol
Mystery Game #13 -- MB-1B5DDBDB2B56FB6C - Taken by Vazra
Mystery Game #14 -- MB-ED5E678160B3FBA4 - Taken by SunDimension24
Mystery Game #15 -- MB-CE550DCFF50B76BD - Taken by redlacs
Mystery Game #2 -- MB-16A9774CA1DC99A3 - Taken by Moody Blues
Mystery Game #3 -- MB-29C6E3EFFFA0F552 - Taken by yuraya
Mystery Game #4 -- MB-B1AB5A501D4A1A0E - Taken by DarKshodaN
Mystery Game #5 -- MB-F146DAB9ADF0C258 - Taken by claytonlee101