• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2017 - IT'S MAHVEL BAYBEE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kagemusha

Disgaea®: Hour of Darkness is on sale on PSN. I still play PS3 from time to time. I have no idea if I would like this series. Was thinking about trying it. Should I just buy Disgaea PC instead?

Also, Persona 4 is also on sale. Can I start with that? I rented Persona 2 back in 2000 and hated it. Was thinking of giving the series a second chance after 17 years.

Jawmuncher

I've always been pretty critical of games. Though I tend to be harder on highly received games than I am on poorly received games. As an example I had a lot of fun with devils third, despite what the general opinion from many who haven't even played it is. On the other hand, more popular fair I tend to question why it's played up so highly. Uncharted 4 is definitely the most recent example of overblown praise in my eyes.

What I need is the mid-budget AA games, or indies that make more than just 2D platformers (I love shovel knight and others, but it's very abundant of a indie genre when you consider all the different types). That's where I usually tend to have the most fun, and as of late that's been sorely missing I feel.

Disgaea®: Hour of Darkness is on sale on PSN. I still play PS3 from time to time. I have no idea if I would like this series. Was thinking about trying it. Should I just buy Disgaea PC instead?

Also, Persona 4 is also on sale. Can I start with that? I rented Persona 2 back in 2000 and hated it. Was thinking of giving the series a second chance after 17 years.
Do you mean story-wise, if so yes, Persona 4 only has slight references to Persona 3 that are pretty much easter eggs.

Platy

2016's Summer Games Done Quick Speedrun by Halfcoordinated

Basicaly a
dude that can only play with one hand finishing Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight in half an hour and then giving the most tear inducing speech after.
Also the cat plush is to honor a kid who is sick and learned to play games with one hand with him and was supposed to be there but she could not leave the hospital that day

Edit : spoiler tags it is
But yeah you know I am right because 3 people knew exactly what I meant xD

BioWare is racist against Batarians. They seem to go out of their way to put them in the worst light.

There are a few planet bios in ME2 that mention the various slave-abusing atrocities committed on them. Always Batarians involved.

Like one is where the slaves were purposely kept in low-gravity environments so there bodies would atrophy and they could not live offworld, removing their incentive to escape. Fucking Batarians.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

uO6NMdV.png

Mystery Game #1 -- MB-6A32579D3FD209CA - Taken by texhnolyze. 18 entrants total.

t1489549949z1.png

There are a few planet bios in ME2 that mention the various slave-abusing atrocities committed on them. Always Batarians involved.

Like one is where the slaves were purposely kept in low-gravity environments so there bodies would atrophy and they could not live offworld, removing their incentive to escape. Fucking Batarians.

Also, the one Batarian character who seems good noble only appears in that mobile spin-off game Mass Effect Galaxy.
Then turns out to be the main villain.

Teggy

Why is Nier coming out on Friday anyway? They think they're Nintendo?

Has anyone here beaten PSP Brandish? I beat the first boss but I'm kind of wondering how hard it's going to get down the line.

It really is bizarre how good SC/Diablo/WC3's stories are. They walked the fine line between melodrama/hamminess and a sort of grim fantasy realism that made it really work. I think brevity was the key, because when SC2 and Warcraft doubled down on it, they lost everything.

It's kind of why Overwatch is the return of Blizzard's Good Storytelling™, because they're forced to be brief due to how much it isn't focused on story. You get enough scraps to present a tantalising world, without so much that you learn Reaper is actually a god trying to save the world from itself, and Mercy is the bad one, and Mei actually masterminded everything, and the Omnics are actually the reincarnated souls of a dead race from another dimension, and that everyone needs to group together to fight an even bigger, cartoonier apocalyptic evil, etc.

Every time Blizz gets a chance to explain things, it goes badly.
What happened to Diablo is a real shame. It's not like Diablo 2 has some amazing story, but it's given an appropriate gravity and pacing that you can take it seriously despite it being a wrapper for a game about whacking monster piñatas. Diablo 3 would have benefited greatly from just cutting 75% of the writing, and absolutely all of the lore/journal pick-ups. If we could acquire energy from eye rolling, Blizzard would have been able to indefinitely power anything from the amount gotten out of all the prattling of Azmodan in act 3.

I hear StarCraft 2 didn't fare so great either, but the original was so memorable in how the characters turned and how things don't end up rosy. I didn't play SC2, but I did see some bits of endings and... hoo boy.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Detour -- MB-5C0FE2C5C7B6C482 - Taken by Loptous
Gun Monkeys -- MB-D51C3455FF9ED6F2
Tristoy -- MB-F11E6565F6A17297 - Taken by FeedMeAStrayCat

Just finished Resident Evil 7: biohazard / BIOHAZARD 7: resident evil, for a game that seemed like a departure from the series formula it sure turned out to be one resident evil ass resident evil game. Really enjoyed it though, the ending was kind of goofy but in a very resident evil way.

Coreda

I need to go back to it but I've completely forgotten what I was doing :(

I had to remap nearly all the keys since the default bindings are unusable on my 60% keyboard (and having Shift for the pause menu and not Esc wasn't at all obvious). Have it set up similar to Shovel Knight's controls now.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
I have questions.

IGN Prime is still a thing?
Suppose you start on the frontpage, how do you even find IGN Prime?
Who pays for IGN Prime?

I think I paid for it one time many years ago to get that pet on Gamersgate that gave a 15% discount on everything I purchased.

Corpekata

Banned
IGN Prime I had for like a month for some game I wanted where signing up for a month meant saving a few bucks on the game. For some reason despite cancelling it back in 2014, I still am a Prime member and get all the free games.

Given that the free game promos have sort of died over the past year (only the last couple months have they started cropping back up) and their lax membership requirements, I imagine they probably have nobody in charge of it anymore that's not an intern.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
So what you're all telling me is that the people who are still paying for IGN Prime have a financial domination fetish and IGN is their money domme.

Got it.

Wok

The recent Twitter hack by Turkish hackers apparently uses a hacked application called TwitterCount or something like this. Even though I was not affected, I decided to check whether I had any application, and it turned out I forgot to revoke gleam.io. I'm not going through the hassle of authorizing any application to get a +1 from now on. Not worth it.

Durante

Yes. At this point it's easily the best version of the game.

You know, I didn't hate Dragon Age 2. I always felt it was an average 3/5 or so.

The most disappointing part aside from the cookie cutter dungeons was that it felt so small after Origins. Practically everything happened in that same city or a stone throw from it.
Origins on the other hand was a grand journey.
In my opinion, while the blatant asset reuse was really bad and boredom-inducing, the worst thing about DA2 is how they completely ruind the pretty decent battle system and encounters they had going in DA:O by designing all skills for a lack of friendly fire and spawning waves of enemies out of thin air.

Mivey

I liked the concept of Dragon Age 2 to simply not play the Chosen One who will save the world™. In a normal BioWare game, Hawke would become the Viscount after like 2 seconds in Kirkwall and lead an army against the Qunari invasion force by Act 2, and single-handely solve the mage-templar war by the end of Act 3. Instead you slowly earn your position of important, but even in the end are just one voice among many.

The big fucking problem is, that the game is essentially unfinished. Whatever shithead thought you could make a game like this, even with the reduced scope, in less than a years time is, well, ... I guess there's a reason they work at EA. That almost no one who praises this game is willing to mention that fact baffles me. Seems immature.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Spares:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.

Asteroid Bounty Hunter -- MB-9E3AC07CD0518762 - Taken by illusionary
Fly and Destroy -- MB-AD6E51501AB6121D - Taken by Diedac
Neon Space 2 -- MB-BD769BA6424EE812 - Taken by Vuze
ShipLord -- MB-5265AD469E76A935
Survive in Space -- MB-5B01B16815ED82E9 - Taken by fuzzy123

Every part of Dragon Age 2 is the worst part. The combat for being a step back, the #content for being re-recycled too many times, the characters for being awful, and the story for being a funnel of bad choices. Bioware had good ideas in DA2, but that's all they ever were--whatever ambition they had was cut very early on.

There'll be an RPG some day that incorporates the passage of time in a cool way (the most intruiging "feature" of DA2, IMO), but I don't think it will ever be Bioware that pulls it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom