• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2017 - IT'S MAHVEL BAYBEE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 38 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

AUPeRsu.jpg

Heaven Forest - VR MMO -- MB-93A5C3617297F609
Heaven Forest - VR MMO #10 -- MB-92587C7EE84D06D3
Heaven Forest - VR MMO #11 -- MB-7D1D5AD044A7D98C
Heaven Forest - VR MMO #12 -- MB-D962A91D74413F2E
Heaven Forest - VR MMO #13 -- MB-318FE7BE7838D246 - Taken by Naked Snake
Heaven Forest - VR MMO #14 -- MB-EBB055B70D37445F
Heaven Forest - VR MMO #15 -- MB-FB7EA74C442A0DA7
Heaven Forest - VR MMO #16 -- MB-777FA6D87BB01892
Heaven Forest - VR MMO #2 -- MB-105ED0F225882C66
Heaven Forest - VR MMO #3 -- MB-BCEA97DA4CE2B42C
Heaven Forest - VR MMO #4 -- MB-9BC6698A556A7CC5
Heaven Forest - VR MMO #5 -- MB-C3C50E8A14D96728
Heaven Forest - VR MMO #6 -- MB-43D98BE75D110593 - Taken by The_Super_Inframan
Heaven Forest - VR MMO #7 -- MB-106A234D262CE1EA
Heaven Forest - VR MMO #8 -- MB-1F42D74C34DD6836
Heaven Forest - VR MMO #9 -- MB-E6CD0291BBF94EA5
Mystery Game #1 -- MB-F119B43238A02199 - Taken by bobnowhere
Mystery Game #10 -- MB-C777D517F6C72FCB - Taken by PAUonePUNCH
Mystery Game #2 -- MB-A5ABF17F677D2CFE - Taken by Monooboe
Mystery Game #3 -- MB-EA6F514BF710A9F7 - Taken by dave is ok
Mystery Game #4 -- MB-65A260EBF31E26E7 - Taken by MaxiLive
Mystery Game #5 -- MB-5C5E726E3BBA6B58 - Taken by rostocker
Mystery Game #6 -- MB-DD444478E8C547ED - Taken by NeoRaider
Mystery Game #7 -- MB-A2BCC9989C81A707 - Taken by Smeagol
Mystery Game #8 -- MB-6F9CF8855F3BB4D8 - Taken by PetriP-TNT
Mystery Game #9 -- MB-01BB7239E1554E77 - Taken by KainXVIII
Paradise Island -- MB-38D9CCCD83513986 - Taken by Camel Master
Paradise Island #2 -- MB-7BB82621F68FA681
Paradise Island #3 -- MB-3FCB348BF9C8C8AD
Woodle Tree 2: Worlds -- MB-70D35C6D72106D7E - Taken by kagamin
Woodle Tree 2: Worlds #2 -- MB-05D4FE002E52C3F4 - Taken by rainking187
Woodle Tree 2: Worlds #3 -- MB-20C6A7A3A4523A6C - Taken by dot
Woodle Tree 2: Worlds #4 -- MB-A29B09AD55745D97 - Taken by fifasnipe2224
Woodle Tree 2: Worlds #5 -- MB-02DC75BB4471605B - Taken by Megauap
Woodle Tree 2: Worlds #6 -- MB-066AA0F87CC85C10
Woodle Tree 2: Worlds #7 -- MB-E0599D08F4CB7BF6
Woodle Tree 2: Worlds #8 -- MB-0220BE09DB54A15A
Woodle Tree 2: Worlds #9 -- MB-4AA78A233A85CE54 - Taken by PandaPedinte

Corpekata

Banned
Been noticing a lot of gaming media or stores have really gone some uh, interesting paths in their social media of late. Greenmangaming and Gamespot in particular seem to think posting like r/gaming is what is going to get them more customers these days. Just a ton of stupid memes and shit.

Coreda

Been noticing a lot of gaming media or stores have really gone some uh, interesting paths in their social media of late. Greenmangaming and Gamespot in particular seem to think posting like r/gaming is what is going to get them more customers these days. Just a ton of stupid memes and shit.

Here among the cultured of course we post respectable anime GIFs.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Non-bundled and non-free game about putting puzzle pieces together and not only has steam achievements but steam cards too. just how long can this be -- MB-228A044F1B5DBC24 - Taken by purseowner

It seems that Xanadu Next underperformed. What numbers did they actually expect?

And by the way, I humbly accept the blame as I haven't bought it either.

Ascheroth

It seems that Xanadu Next underperformed. What numbers did they actually expect?

And by the way, I humbly accept the blame as I haven't bought it either.
It's your fault!
/jk

I posted this in the other thread just now:
Honestly, Xanadu Next hasn't aged all that great visually, especially the character models. It's an 11 year old game after all.
If I weren't a Falcom fan and already knew about this games existence beforehand I probably wouldn't spare it a second glance if I noticed it popping up in the new releases.

It's inherently a hard sell, but that's why you'd especially need marketing to show how awesome it is despite it's age.
I guess it's always difficult to decide how much you want to spend on marketing when you know it's not going to sell gangbusters, but their 'intense press release cycle'(lol) cleary wasn't enough.
Xseed really need to rethink their release strategies.

It's your fault!
/jk

I posted this in the other thread just now:

Xseed really need to rethink their release strategies.

Yeah, it's just weird to me that they actually expected something out of Xanadu Next, especially with their next to nothing effort to market the old game.

In the other news, they're happy that they found a great audience for Shenran Kagura series. The future seems pretty bright and shiny.

Ascheroth

It's only partly true, not like they marketed Senran Kagura, it sold 80K
I'll never understand steam userbase, never
It's pretty simple:
- anime tiddies
- also released on consoles
- 'relatively' recent and still a franchise that is producing games

vs.

- dated graphics (perceived lesser production values)
- PC-only
- 11 years old and essentially a standalone game

But maybe people will discover it after Tokyo Xanadu hits, even though they don't really have anything to do with each other.

Arthea

A game like Senran Kagura simply needs some appropriately-designed icons and banners to effectively convey its main appeal to its target market.

but Shinovi versus banners aren't even lewd!

It's pretty simple:
- anime tiddies

vs.

- PC-only

But maybe people will discover it after Tokyo Xanadu hits, even though they don't really have anything to do with each other.
yeah, this probably is one of reasons, more people know and heard about it.

but then again Sakura games sell better than good VNs on steam

meme games sell way better than good games.

It's just impossible to comprehend, aside of the fact that it is harder to sell older games even if they get their first release in the west now. If anything gamers pay way too much attention to graphics, but that can't be changed, it's easy to see and appreciate, unlike gameplay, or story or characters

Tizoc

It's pretty simple:
- anime tiddies

vs.

- PC-only

Your xanadu next points can apply to ys oath in felghana as well esp. Since they both released on pc in the same year.
It isnt a matter of visuals, it is a matter of exposure. However i doubt xanadu next being released on vita or psp first wouldve helped its sales much.
Xseed should seek out credible pc gaming youtube channels to help spread word of their game

Arthea

They market Senran Kagura quite a bit, what are you talking about?

they did? PC version? I'm not aware of this

edited:
if Xseed indeed marketed SK, (I'm pretty sure they just dropped it on steam on day like everything else tho), it's kinda Xseed's fault they do nothing of sort for other games, yeah.
Unless you consider couple of tweets - marketing, because every game they release get those.

edit2: I don't blame Xseed for not marketing their games, don't get me wrong, marketing is hella expensive

Your xanadu next points apply to ys oath in felghana as well esp. Since they both released on pc in the same year.
It isnt a matter of visuals, it is a matter of exposure

Xanadu Next has rougher graphics I'd say, but it's also lesser known. Then again, don't misunderstand me, I actually consider Xanadu Next to have nice production values. But the perceived value is lower. It's a 11 years old game, with a rough look and a tougher sell than let's say, Senran Kagura, which is anime af, has shiny 3D cell shaded graphics.

edited:
if Xseed indeed marketed SK, (I'm pretty sure they just dropped it on steam on day like everything else tho), it's kinda Xseed's fault they do nothing of sort for other games, yeah.
Unless you consider couple of tweets - marketing, because every game they release get those.

edit2: I don't blame Xseed for not marketing their games, don't get me wrong, marketing is hella expensive

Marketing is expensive when you pay for it. Building awareness around a game two months before release instead of 2 weeks before doesn't cost more money. It doesn't cost more money to send keys to a few popular youtubers and try to gather word of mouth.

Arthea

on more important note, can we take this as a hint that 5K sales is nothing publishers are happy with, even if it covers porting costs, although I'm yet to see any confirmation it is true.

on more important note, can we take this as a hint that 5K sales is nothing publishers are happy with, even if it covers porting costs, although I'm yet to see any confirmation it is true.

We can't because it depends on each one expectations but also each one's developpement pipeline. It's more difficult for XSeed to deal with a different company, strike a deal, and touch up an older release, considering they only have one person to do so, than it is for KT, which is a bigger company, handling their own games, with an already multiplatform/modern PC ready developpement pipeline. Also, games aren't sold for the same price.

Ascheroth

We can't because it depends on each one expectations but also each one's developpement pipeline. It's more difficult for XSeed to deal with a different company, strike a deal, and touch up an older release, considering they only have one person to do so, than it is for KT, which is a bigger company, handling their own games, with an already multiplatform/modern PC ready developpement pipeline. Also, games aren't sold for the same price.
I agree with this, except I would not consider KTs development pipeline 'modern PC ready', because they frankly suck :p

Arthea

it was a jab at Bernardo, don't take it so seriously

I'm aware of all that, but also I'm aware that publishers and devs aren't jumping of joy getting 5K sales, no matter the cost or price, and Bernardo usually insists they should or even are.

I agree with this, except I would not consider KTs development pipeline 'modern PC ready', because they frankly suck :p

sucky or no, they basically release almost everything on PC and in timely fashion even, lately at least, so yea, that definition stands.

and yet I can't understand why they do no post release support on PC, or plain ignore any feedback. Do they treat consoles the same way? I'm not sure

Well, it is modern PC ready. Them lacking features doesnt mean it's not ready for this. It basically mean they can pump out PC ports like nothing.

I'm aware of all that, but also I'm aware that publishers and devs aren't jumping of joy getting 5K sales, no matter the cost or price, and Bernardo usually insists they should or even are.

Sure, but there's a difference between expectations and profit.I suspect the reason why KT is still going on with PC ports is that not only the high price and low cost means they can pump these at no cost, but the long term nature of the platform rather help in the long run, considering it doesn't need an intervention from them, even in 5 years or 10.

MUnited83

For you.

edited:

Not quite sure you're aware, but the series is widely marketed. You don't need to market a specific PC port to reap benefits of the marketing on the PC port. Xanadu hasn't had even 1/10 of the marketing SK games had.

sucky or no, they basically release almost everything on PC and in timely fashion even, lately at least, so yea, that definition stands.

and yet I can't understand why they do no post release support on PC, or plain ignore any feedback. Do they treat consoles the same way? I'm not sure
Under expectations does not mean it's not profitable. Also different companies and different strategies. Again, KT is fine with the sales they have, which is why they continue to port more and more games.
Mind, i always used the words "fine with", not "jumping of joy".

kagamin

I've been wanting to play Woodle Tree 2, now I can! Will post updates when I start playing along with it for the general enjoyment of the thread.

Durante

Not quite sure you're aware, but the series is widely marketed. You don't need to market a specific PC port to reap benefits of the marketing on the PC port. Xanadu hasn't had even 1/10 of the marketing SK games had.
Yeah, that's one of the primary arguments for day and date ports (and it's a very good one too).

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:

AUPeRsu.jpg

Mystery Game #1 -- MB-509C5FEBF2915B42 - Taken by Sarcasm
Mystery Game #2 -- MB-CADA26D64DF39C44 - Taken by Regginator
Mystery Game #3 -- MB-4AD67E71C06E5653 - Taken by ussjtrunks
Mystery Game #4 -- MB-06BA7C2097B85F32 - Taken by Baron_Calamity
Mystery Game #5 -- MB-3225984B4C4B14ED - Taken by voodooray
Mystery Game #6 -- MB-FD6268FB8668E3E2 - Taken by White Wolf

Anyone here buying Battlegrounds next week?

So this game has been in top 5 on Twitch for the last week or so. Seems like every other early access survival game where you have to scavenge supplies and weapons and head on over to someplace to kill other players.

That reminded me to look up Conan Exiles which was dominating Twitch a few weeks ago. Now you have to scroll pretty far down in the list to find it with a few hundred viewers at best. Just another flash in the pan like so many of these types of games turn out to be.

Also Wednesday is almost over and there's no preload for Nier Tomato :|

Uzzy

There's a good article over on Eurogamer about Dishonoured 2, interviewing some of the developers for the game, talking about the immersive sim elements and the level design, especially for two of the games levels. Some spoilers, so you might want to avoid it if you've not played it.

But if you've not played it, you really should. It's one of the best games of last year, and my personal GOTY.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (bobnowhere, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- You must admit that Femshep is the real Shep
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide -- MB-C9D68AFBA0C1E5C7 - Taken by Kifimbo. 3 entrants total.
Jotun -- MB-4BB922FD891F98E3 - Taken by xist. 10 entrants total.
Legends of Eisenwald -- MB-24A705E653301554 - Taken by Sarcasm. 2 entrants total.
The Journey Down Ep 1 Plus2 -- MB-82191D4E0F7F22DA - Taken by Scrooge McDuck. 1 entrants total.

t1489582754z1.png

prudislav

damn would love to get to play Dishonored 2 one day ... but what put me off were the PC performance issues and DRM. Is it fixed now? Do we know if they have any plans for DLC or its done?

Also still need to finish first game properly before going to second one :-/

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

I7Ufybq.png

Mystery Game #1 -- MB-D4E8F00C9A3564C4 - Taken by InquisitorAles. 14 entrants total.

t1489583898z1.png

Anno

damn would love to get to play Dishonored 2 one day ... but what put me off were the PC performance issues and DRM. Is it fixed now? Do we know if they have any plans for DLC or its done?

Also still need to finish first game properly before going to second one :-/

Performance is a lot better though not perfect. Unless you're a total stickler I can't imagine it's bad enough to warrant not playing what is otherwise an amazing game.

No DLC announced yet but multiple things have pointed towards one coming before too long. Maybe E3?

xist

What's the general consensus on activating keys? I often end up buying games that I do actually want, but because I'm not playing them immediately they sit unclaimed in the relevant account (Bundle Stars, Humble, Square-Enix). Is this a stupid thing to do and I should activate them as soon as I buy, or is the probability of an invalid or expired key minimal?

(I appreciate that this is a somewhat stupid question but wondered if other people end up hoarding unused keys for games they bought and intend to play at some point, rather than stockpile for giveaways)

Jawmuncher

What's the general consensus on activating keys? I often end up buying games that I do actually want, but because I'm not playing them immediately they sit unclaimed in the relevant account (Bundle Stars, Humble, Square-Enix). Is this a stupid thing to do and I should activate them as soon as I buy, or is the probability of an invalid or expired key minimal?

(I appreciate that this is a somewhat stupid question but wondered if other people end up hoarding unused keys for games they bought and intend to play at some point, rather than stockpile for giveaways)

It's better to just activate them in my eyes. I guess there's nothing technically wrong about hoarding keys, until you want to play them. But that could turn into needless work. When you forget you own a key for X game and such. By activating a game right when you get it, you can easily see if you own it or not through steam itself. Then you can just organize your library or hide the games that aren't currently on your plate.

Vuze

If you want to play it, redeem it. You can always purge the license from your account later. And while it's unlikely keys from Humble or similar will expire, it's not impossible.
It's also easier to check if you already got that game that you're currently thinking of picking up on sale lol.

xist

It's better to just activate them in my eyes.

If you want to play it, redeem it. You can always purge the license from your account later.

Yep, you're both right....just needed some force to push me over the precipice. Just seeing my backlog, or put better gaming choices, increase faster than I can play them makes me feel weird, but I suppose EVERYONE in this thread is in the same boat.

Coreda

While it's unlikely keys from Humble or similar will expire, it's not impossible.

Has this occurred before? I think I have some unredeemed keys there, but unless the publisher closes shop what other reasons would cause key expiration/invalidation?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Has this occurred before? I think I have some unredeemed keys there, but unless the publisher closes shop what other reasons would cause key expiration/invalidation?

Strictly speaking, keys don't expire, but they can be blacklisted (or "banned" as Valve says), which is effectively the same thing and not unheard of. E.g. Codemasters and the Dirt 3/Showdown giveaways held prior to their respective delistings (so the keys couldn't be resold).

Edit: Also, when a game is pulled due to copyright infringement, any packages for which public keys have been generated are changed to "Unavailable", which renders unused ones useless, and it's common for promotional pre-release keys to be binned following, say, a closed beta.

Vuze

I've had some experiences where I was notified to redeem the key by date X because it will expire afterwards. Also Humble themselves did it with their recent giveaways iirc

Parsnip

Honestly, Xanadu Next hasn't aged all that great visually, especially the character models. It's an 11 year old game after all.

The funny thing about this is that it wasn't much of a looker even back in the day.
Just thinking about other games that came out 2004-2006 on PC or consoles, stuff like RE4, Haunting Ground, Doom 3, Jak 3, FF12, MGS3 etc.

You could argue that XN probably didn't have much of a budget in comparison to any of those titles, but that doesn't really matter to the consumer. It just wasn't a very visually interesting looking game even back then, even less now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom