• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2017 - IT'S MAHVEL BAYBEE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no stakes on Andromeda, it was merely a little semi-joke based on the last few pages of RPS bickering. I even started it "I hear you guys like RPS" and not something like "hey the new mass effect might be shit" or something.

Yeah, I know. I was merely talking about the responses, not only here but in Shinobi's thread as well.

Who says you need to focus on it? Gosh, some of you are hilariously defensive.

Because that's how things usually go in Gaf, like in the review threads. It's already been a culture.

It might be though. I can't trust mainstream gaming "journalists" to review modern Bioware games, I have to wait for gaffer impressions, and when they are at least 3/4 through the game.

DA Inquisition was #4 GOTY (below 3 Nintendo games) and #1 RPG in Gaf though. Of course if you're focusing on the negative you'll find plenty of them for basically every game ever.

Yeah, I know. I was merely talking about the responses, not only here but in Shinobi's thread as well.

DA Inquisition was #4 GOTY (below 3 Nintendo games) and #1 RPG in Gaf though. Of course if you're focusing on the negative you'll find plenty of them for basically every game ever.
Let's hope the collective taste in RPG has been raised by The Witcher 3.

BlakeofT

Any previews about Nier's performance on PC? I'm only seeing things about requirements, and that the game is in fact still coming to PC.

gngf123

Any previews about Nier's performance on PC? I'm only seeing things about requirements, and that the game is in fact still coming to PC.

Square Enix haven't sent out copies to anyone as far as we know. Probably we'll only get real performance reports on release.

inky

Because that's how things usually go in Gaf, like in the review threads. It's already been a culture.

A trend, or whatever it is you read in certain attitude of certain posters in a discussion forum where things are discussed by hundreds of thousands of members, is not really a "culture". I'm not sure you are even using the correct term.

It only seems like that to you because, again, you are defensive about a particular subject. Nothing about the responses to that particular post, especially in this thread, is indicative of a "culture", whatever you mean by that.

Grief.exe

It might be though. I can't trust mainstream gaming "journalists" to review modern Bioware games, I have to wait for gaffer impressions, and when they are at least 3/4 through the game.

He did say you have to wait for Gaffer impressions. Need the marketing-induced hysteria to wear off before people give you reliable opinions.

Opinions on Inquisition dropped off a cliff at one point and now it's never even mentioned.

I also want to add that DA:I had plenty of very real issues that aren't nit picks. It just happened to be released in an AAA WRPG drought.

Edit: Seems like ME:A also has MMO fetch quests, bleh.

Press Turn

Neo Member
left earbud broke.

everything feels weird. guess its time to give up some lunches in order for a friend to amazon prime me some actual over ears.

gonna be weird to play games with slightly wonky sound for awhile

A trend, or whatever it is you read in certain attitude of certain posters in a discussion forum where things are discussed by hundreds of thousands of members, is not really a "culture". I'm not sure you are even using the correct term.

It only seems like that to you because, again, you are defensive about a particular subject. Nothing about the responses to that particular post, especially in this thread, is indicative of a "culture", whatever you mean by that.

He did say you have to wait for Gaffer impressions. Need the marketing-induced hysteria to wear off before people give you reliable opinions.

Opinions on Inquisition dropped off a cliff at one point and now it's never even mentioned.

I also want to add that DA:I had plenty of very real issues that aren't nit picks. It just happened to be released in an AAA WRPG drought.

It's just that it's been as expected to see how ME Andromeda received so far after that first reveal of 'using DA Inquisition as the template for Andromeda'. But then again, it's still tiring to see these trashings from the community in practically every Andromeda thread this year. It's a game that I believe everyone know what to expect already, a Bioware open world jank, and yet people still go at it at every chance they've got.

It's just that it's been as expected to see how ME Andromeda received so far after that first reveal of 'using DA Inquisition as the template for Andromeda'. But then again, it's still tiring to see these trashings from the community in practically every Andromeda thread this year. It's a game that I believe everyone know what to expect already, a Bioware open world jank, and yet people still go at it at every chance they've got.
A set expectation doesn't exempt a game from criticism. Don't be like those Bethesda fanboys.

So Mass Effect Andromeda will have the shitty MMO sidequests? I guess their existence makes sense, but BioWare actually named Witcher 3 as a reference or goal, so I have to assume there is more "meaty" side content as well. Otherwise, did they really believe people wouldn't hold them to promises you make a few months before release?

What exactly does 'holding them to their promises' entail?

The game is going to get showered with high scores from critics. It's also going to sell a boatload of copies. EA is actually expecting it to move 3 million copies in it's first week. It will be on several GOTY lists at the end of the year. You don't even have to play the game to know all of this already. Developers like Bioware and Bethesda Game Studios do not 'learn' the lessons you want them to learn.

TheTrain

Are there no Bench available for Styx: Shards of Darkness? I want to know if i can hit 60FPS maxed out on a 970m or if it's better to wait until I return back to home, where I have a 1080 available

Durante

That's an interesting statement considering that they praised Torment: Tides of Numenera to high heavens...
I don't find that particularly interesting or surprising.

Torment does exactly those kinds of things well that I can easily imagine modern Bioware failing spectacularly at (like presenting a very intriguing and unique setting, filled with great, varied sidequests that allow for different solution approaches, while being almost devaid of filler or repetition), while stumbling at things that Bioware will probably do better at (like cinematic presentation, or convenient UI design).

Which just goes to show that GAF (outside SteamGAF) has horrendous taste and is driven by the incessant AAA hype cycle.

gngf123

GAF also considers fucking Persona 4 to be the number 2 essential RPG.

GAF has pretty bad taste.

Durante

The game is going to get showered with high scores from critics. It's also going to sell a boatload of copies. EA is actually expecting it to move 3 million copies in it's first week. It will be on several GOTY lists at the end of the year. You don't even have to play the game to know all of this already.
You're correct. It's all a shitshow.
da2mwjbw.png

Yep.

At least Derrick could articulate his points.
Derrick was a bit too generally negative, but I feel like he was right at least as often as he was wrong.

Which just goes to show that GAF (outside SteamGAF) has horrendous taste and is driven by the incessant AAA hype cycle.

Which reinforce my point. Atraveller chooses to wait for Gaffers impressions, but as I recall Gaf is not a reliable source for impressions which is shown by the examples.

inky

You're correct. It's all a shitshow.

da2mwjbw.png

Yep.

I still can't believe LuigiIsEvil hasn't added PC Gamer to his ultimate review aggregator spreadsheet website! They seem exactly like the kind of site that belongs in that small, expertly curated list of opinions where I can make my own reality and ignore all kinds of dissent.

They actually called it the best RPG of the decade too. A site called Personal Computer Gamer called Bioware's Dragon Age 2 the best Role Playing Game of the decade... I'm still not over it, LOL. Probably never will.

Parsnip

So excited. Finally about to have a PC capable of playing games lol my 5+ year old laptop really wasn't cutting it. While this is a cheap PC (Alienware Alpha R1), it's still far better than what I had. Woot woot!

I had ventured into previous threads, but never posted (as far as I can recall). I'm pretty excited to actually use my 500+ games Steam account. I definitely have some leftover Humble Bundle keys from the past few years that I should post in here. Need to figure out how ModBot works I guessssss
Welcome to bestgaf.

Lain

I still can't believe LuigiIsEvil hasn't added PC Gamer to his ultimate review aggregator spreadsheet website! They seem exactly like the kind of site that belongs in that small, expertly curated list of opinions where I can make my own reality and ignore all kinds of dissent.

They actually called it the best RPG of the decade too. A site called Personal Computer Gamer called Bioware's Dragon Age 2 the best Role Playing Game of the decade... I'm still not over it, LOL. Probably never will.

I can empathize. How could they call it best RPG of the decade, when it is quite clearly the best RPG of the forever? Baffling.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I don't find that particularly interesting or surprising.

Torment does exactly those kinds of things well that I can easily imagine modern Bioware failing spectacularly at (like presenting a very intriguing and unique setting, filled with great, varied sidequests that allow for different solution approaches, while being almost devaid of filler or repetition), while stumbling at things that Bioware will probably do better at (like cinematic presentation, or convenient UI design).

DING! DING! DING! DING!
Stuff like this is exactly the reason modern Bioware games have become boring. Where Torment innovates and excels is the areas that I remember LOVING about the old Bioware games. Conversely though Mass Effect and DAI might have much higher production values, they have lost the things that were most memorable. Their writing has become trite and predictable and their reactivity and interactivity have plummeted.
And to be totally fair, Torment has its share of bad writing, but it also has great writing and a genuinely interesting setting which is SO MUCH more than can be said of any recent Bioware game. I don't begrudge anyone who likes those games, but they aren't the ones I fell in love with anymore, so I don't get excited about them.

Parsnip

You know, I didn't hate Dragon Age 2. I always felt it was an average 3/5 or so.

The most disappointing part aside from the cookie cutter dungeons was that it felt so small after Origins. Practically everything happened in that same city or a stone throw from it.
Origins on the other hand was a grand journey.

Still haven't played Inquisition though. Owned it since launch, what a waste of money that was.

TB14

Everyones talking about Momodora or Hollow Knight, but no one played the best Metroidvania of 2016 Rabi Ribi....

Been eyeing it every time it goes on sale. Hopefully, it gets bundled soon or sees a big discount during the summer sale. Already have Hollow Knight and Momodora.

You know, I didn't hate Dragon Age 2. I always felt it was an average 3/5 or so.

The most disappointing part aside from the cookie cutter dungeons was that it felt so small after Origins. Practically everything happened in that same city or a stone throw from it.
Origins on the other hand was a grand journey.

Still haven't played Inquisition though. Owned it since launch, what a waste of money that was.
There were interesting ideas in DA 2, especially storytelling wise.

The idea of a Beowulf/Conan type of storytelling where the entire lifetime of a hero is shown through the most illustrious moments that happened to him over the years hasn't been done in games a lot.

The attempt to try and keep it all confined to one city and the effects on it was also potentially cool.

But the game was half-backed and rushed and as you said too small. You can easily make a huge number of interesting environemnts that are technically part of the same city, but we got a bunch of bland caves instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom