• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2017 - IT'S MAHVEL BAYBEE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
oh what? you can use "watch game" even if its not a steam game? o_O

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 11 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

Evoland 2 -- MB-35D2901530946B47 - Taken by BlakeofT
Fox & Flock -- MB-4877DCE94B655E37 - Taken by bobnowhere
Garden Rescue -- MB-C6F0D243EBE7E576 - Taken by bloke
Kick Ass Commandos -- MB-9DD0C04686731DDE - Taken by Mackenzie 92
Odysseus: Long Way Home -- MB-7D11739F6186E694 - Taken by Wok
Raptor: Call of the Shadows 2015 -- MB-FF53CD24026395CC - Taken by Natty1
Razenroth -- MB-AFF974B63D657DC5 - Taken by Catshade
Stay Dead Evolution -- MB-13DF39296A07FA32 - Taken by Baron_Calamity
The Grandfather -- MB-EF900F89D126B964 - Taken by Coldsun
The Last Hope -- MB-F9394E6886162261 - Taken by AHA-Lambda
Wickland -- MB-DF3C6461011B74CF - Taken by redlacs

You found some hidden-object impressions! Yaaay! Time to find out what the deal is with Princess Isabella:

The story:You play the titular character who at the beginning of the game is set to marry Prince Adam and inherit the throne. Now, they didn't explain how the kingdom works exactly, but I'm pretty sure your parents have to be dead before you inherit anything. Maybe after the marriage, the old king and queen commit a ritual suicide? Or would that be too dark for a game that appears geared to young girls? ANYWAY. Some witch shows up, kidnaps the prince, and "curses" the castle by turning every room grimdark. You restore the rooms through various means (throwing potions into fires, playing music, cleaning mirrors, you know, the usual cursebreakers.) It's a dead simple story, with an ending that's a bit too convenient. Spoilers!
Your older sister's nanny was a witch and a corrupting influence on her. The king and queen decided she'd make a horrible queen, so they sent her away with the old nanny, who basically possessed her. After you defeat the witch, the king and queen are all "Stop! It's your sister!" but...I already knew that. It's NOT explained why you get to inherit the throne if your older sister is good now? But oh well. Also you have a kid and the witch shows up in her mirror, hinting at the sequel.
So yeah, nothing Oscar worthy.

The graphics:This game came out in 2009 (Steam says 2014 but that might just be the date it showed up on Steam,) and feels a little dated even for that: the game is limited to 800x600, the animation is minimal, and some items in the hidden object scenes stick out more than others. Still, for all that, they did try. The castle's rooms look appropriately royal, they added nice Renaissance art, that sort of thing. The characters look stylized and aren't too creepy, always a bonus.

The dialogue and voice acting: Surprisingly good here. I didn't notice any spelling errors or dialogue jank. The voice actors were mostly good, but in some instances the queen sounded kinda bored. She's reflecting on these wrongs she committed against her children and seems nonchalant about it rather than guilty. No star rosters like King's Quest or anything, but better than most.

The fairy's enthusiasm is pretty infectious. She's so happy about being able to smash or set fire to things. She does have repetitive dialogue, but she never gets annoying.

The gameplay: Easy. Let's just get that out of the way. There's actually no difficulty option, so things will sparkle to alert you to them. The hidden object scenes are mostly static - only once did I have to manipulate something in the scene to find the remaining objects. The minigames, however, were nicely varied. It contains rounds of games I know as BloxorZ and Zuma. (Those are probably clones of other games, but that's how I remember them.) And it contains a boss battle: you have to find your hidden objects before the boss finds hers. It's actually pretty tense and adds a bit of non-casual to the game: you basically have a time limit now. So it's easy, but it was still pretty innovative and I'd have liked to see more hidden object games try it.

The length:Took me two hours even. Short game.

The verdict:Overall, this is actually not a bad one. If you're looking for a challenge, I can't recommend it. If, however, you want to ease your way into hidden object games, or you have a young daughter, I certainly can.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
428 localized for Steam/PS4!!!

Q1 2018

Holy fuck this is a Megaton!
9c469fe616.gif

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
oh what? you can use "watch game" even if its not a steam game? o_O

If you mean Tom Clancy's The Division, technically my copy is bought under Steam. So yeah...

But like I said, I don't have the bandwidth to stream. So that's probably why it crashed and disabled V-sync on me. :x

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Wasnt that already confirme a few months ago?

not that it was day and date with console

If you mean Tom Clancy's The Division, technically my copy is bought under Steam. So yeah...

But like I said, I don't have the bandwidth to stream. So that's probably why it crashed and disabled V-sync on me. :x

no I was talking about someone's FF14. What, you think youre the only one I was voyeuring on? I was creeping on anyone that was playing a game, thats my thing now.

bbd23

Oh my god! the house in fata morgana chapter 3!

when maria says the girl with the white hair is having an affair

giphy.gif

MUnited83

For you.
not that it was day and date with console

no I was talking about someone's FF14. What, you think youre the only one I was voyeuring on? I was creeping on anyone that was playing a game, thats my thing now.

He was talking about Ultra Despair Girls, not V3 :p

edit: nvm, i see it's also getting a PS4 release lol.

Amzin

I played 4 hours of Hollow Knight tonight after I got home from work and now I want to play more. Pls halp

P.S. Deepnest is non-stop horror, so much for the melancholy atmosphere ;_;

First time I've felt overwhelmed by the amount of games I'm going to get to play on PC, years been pretty crazy with Japanese devs and Steam.

so with spike chunsoft and NIS going full in on PC, where the hell is GungHo? I thought we would have Lunar by now :(

Kinda surprised Let It Die isn't on Steam. The only Japanese company at this point I expect to hold out the longest is Atlus. Won't be surprised if their games never hit PC.

Jawmuncher

I'm just way too cynical for my own good.
There isn't anything coming out this year that i'm really interested in. Outside MAYBE MVCI and that's hugely dependent on what the roster will be.

Granjinha

First time I've felt overwhelmed by the amount of games I'm going to get to play on PC, years been pretty crazy with Japanese devs and Steam.

Kinda surprised Let It Die isn't on Steam. The only Japanese company at this point I expect to hold out the longest is Atlus. Won't be surprised if their games never hit PC.

Atlus and SEGA :p

I'm just way too cynical for my own good.
There isn't anything coming out this year that i'm really interested in. Outside MAYBE MVCI and that's hugely dependent on what the roster will be.

that's actually not possible

there's way too many cool games coming out

Press Turn

Neo Member
So what are some games that are good for messing around/chilling with friends.

100% Orange Juice is uh....not an optimal choice to say the least

Jawmuncher

Atlus and SEGA :p
that's actually not possible

there's way too many cool games coming out

I'm really picky. RE7 was the big game of the year for me and I was on the fence the entire for it. It was alright. After Dragon Age Inquisition I don't really trust bioware. Then a lot of other stuff I just don't have any intention of playing unless it's $20 or less. Didn't even get Horizon and that has Robot Dinosaurs. I'm hoping Zelda is good, but i've never been a big zelda fan so I have my doubts. Persona 5 is the next game i'm getting day one, and i'm still unsure of that since I thought P4 was a big step down story and tone wise from P3.

Battlechili

Banned
Spike Chunsoft is being pretty rad.
Now all they need to do is announce Shiren the Wanderer 5 for PC. Or some other Mystery Dungeon title. I'd say Pokemon but I think Nintendo has a lock on that.

I really, REALLY need more Mystery Dungeon games.

Eila

The hell is a sound novel?

A Sound Novel is a type of visual novel. The term is a trademark by Chunsoft and emphasizes the sound aspects as opposed to visual aspects. Sound novels are actually older than visual novels but because of the trademark the term "visual novel" is the one that's stuck in the long term. For older games the distinction between the two is somewhat notable, but for most modern games there's basically no difference between the meaning of the two terms.

Yakkue

The story:You play the titular character who at the beginning of the game is set to marry Prince Adam and inherit the throne. Now, they didn't explain how the kingdom works exactly, but I'm pretty sure your parents have to be dead before you inherit anything. Maybe after the marriage, the old king and queen commit a ritual suicide?

Either that, or they could just abdicate to make her inherit the throne.

Granjinha

I'm really picky. RE7 was the big game of the year for me and I was on the fence the entire for it. It was alright. After Dragon Age Inquisition I don't really trust bioware. Then a lot of other stuff I just don't have any intention of playing unless it's $20 or less. Didn't even get Horizon and that has Robot Dinosaurs. I'm hoping Zelda is good, but i've never been a big zelda fan so I have my doubts. Persona 5 is the next game i'm getting day one, and i'm still unsure of that since I thought P4 was a big step down story and tone wise from P3.

you're not into indie games? There's always cool stuff in the indie scene

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom