• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2017 - IT'S MAHVEL BAYBEE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PantsuJo

Can anyone recommend some JRPGs worth playing on PC? Preferably Steam but any PC stuff would do. I unfortunately bounced of Nier but its put me in the mood for a JRPG, a genre I haven't played for years. I don't want to say I'm looking for something clichéd, but something 'typical' that checks all the genre tropes would be ideal. I haven't really played since stuff like Digital Devil Saga, Star Ocean 3, or the early 360 games etc.
All the Falcom games, especially the two Trails. Awesome games.
There are a lot of Ideas Factory games (Fairy Fencer F and various NepNep games).
There are many others but I don't remember everything right now, sorry

Ascheroth

Can anyone recommend some JRPGs worth playing on PC? Preferably Steam but any PC stuff would do. I unfortunately bounced of Nier but its put me in the mood for a JRPG, a genre I haven't played for years. I don't want to say I'm looking for something clichéd, but something 'typical' that checks all the genre tropes would be ideal. I haven't really played since stuff like Digital Devil Saga, Star Ocean 3, or the early 360 games etc.
Trails in the Sky FC and SC

So, a Tales game?
Aren't Tales game known for the opposite though? :p

Steam is on Steam.

header.jpg

Rails to Riches, Games to Hats.

Truly the Valve story.

Trails in the Sky FC and SC

Aren't Tales game known for the opposite though? :p

Another vote Tits.

And yeah, I hear Berseria does have a good story but people play Tales mostly for the battle system.
I really need to check this one out, I really liked the Xillia duology and it seems that this one is better in every way.
Normally it would've been a day 1 for me but like so many other recent releases it'll have to wait due to lack of funds and time.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 13 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Aliens Go Home Run -- MB-D51B8DF0844046A0 - Taken by NingenJanai
Blues and Bullets Episode 1 -- MB-A0E416CAE37C77E6 - Taken by Mikurden
Factory Engineer -- MB-294388EB90B27EFB - Taken by Purkake4
Felix Jumpman -- MB-A7ECBD7E9CD4DF7A - Taken by Saty
Hellphobia -- MB-0DFE27F0DDC8DB70 - Taken by titch
HitBox -- MB-AC31E31176ADA9FA - Taken by Ventilaator
Queen of Seas -- MB-4AE79AACEA7CE216 - Taken by voodooray
Shadows 2: Perfidia -- MB-40386654EB56EE9A - Taken by Dusk Golem
SurvHive -- MB-3778BFDB4E8A4385 - Taken by fuzzy123
The Pasture -- MB-D438C6FF45620CD7 - Taken by rainking187
Tracks of Triumph: Good Old Times -- MB-E08B3A0B1B895AA2 - Taken by Vuze
Tyran -- MB-957309939EA4C396 - Taken by septicore
Vindictive Drive -- MB-8F044286756C2D2F - Taken by Ludens

Monooboe

I think I've gotten the "wait for humble monthly" thing, I was so close to getting Stories Untold but realized that it seem like a game perfect for a humble monthly. I'm never going to able to buy indie games again am I?XD

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I think I've gotten the "wait for humble monthly" thing, I was so close to getting Stranger Things but realized that it seem like a game perfect for a humble monthly. I'm never going to able to buy indie games again am I?XD

You mean Stories Untold, Stranger Things is a Netflix series.

Also if it ever is in Humble Monthly, it probably won't be so for a while since the game is finding success.

I come from the stance I like to support things I would like to see more of. I also notice Humble Monthlys hardly ever contain horror games, so take that as you will. I buy almost every horror game the moment it comes out, and I almost never own any of the games that are in Humble Monthly. Take this from a horror enthusiast, it's VERY rare for a game in the Humble Monthly collection to be a horror game, like so rare I think it's only happened twice so far in the year I've been subscribed, and in one of the cases it was a game that released on the same day as the Humble Monthly (Husk).

There's certain genres I notice Humble Monthly are more likely to skew towards, and horror is certainly not one of them.

Monooboe

You mean Stories Untold, Stranger Things is a Netflix series.

Also if it ever is in Humble Monthly, it probably won't be so for a while since the game is finding success.

I come from the stance I like to support things I would like to see more of. I also notice Humble Monthlys hardly ever contain horror games, so take that as you will. I buy almost every horror game the moment it comes out, and I almost never own any of the games that are in Humble Monthly. Take this from a horror enthusiast, it's VERY rare for a game in the Humble Monthly collection to be a horror game, like so rare I think it's only happened twice so far in the year I've been subscribed, and in one of the cases it was a game that released on the same day as the Humble Monthly (Husk).

There's certain genres I notice Humble Monthly are more likely to skew towards, and horror is certainly not one of them.

Ah yes of course! I mean Stories Untold. Yeah I was also thinking that if it were to be in the bundle it would take awhile but then it went on sale quite fast so maybe it would mean it gets bundled faster also. Hmh. I was also close to get Death Road to Canada but decided to wait with it also while I am subscribed to monthly. Might be a good thing for me to learn and wait with games that I don't need to play instantly.

Prurient

Banned
Thanks for the responses guys, I'll check some of the suggestions out. Think I'm going to dig out my copies of Digital Devil Saga too and look into getting them running on my PC.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Do Nier Automata's side quests get better?

So far it's all very MMO-like fetch quest stuff :/

some are good, a lot are standard fare. The die hards will tell you "BUT THE LORE IN THEM" of course

AHA-Lambda

I'm enjoying Nier so far, loving the style and combat especially, but I must admit I'm finding the map to be rather irritating, the side quests have all so far been pretty darn bad, and the story has been rather slow to this point (really hoping that picks up soon).

I've just got to the forest zone fwiw

Corpekata

Banned
Of all the OMG THIS YEAR IS SO GREAT games, I'd say only 2 or 3 have good side quests/optional content. Hollow Knight, Zelda, and Torment. Not outright bad in some other games, but often the weakest aspect.

Playing games this year has given me a renewed appreciation especially for games like Torment or the Souls series. Very few games can nail that "stumbled upon something really cool and in depth" aspect these days with so many games designed to make sure players see most of a game.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Of all the OMG THIS YEAR IS SO GREAT games, I'd say only 2 or 3 have good side quests/optional content. Hollow Knight, Zelda, and Torment. Not outright bad in some other games, but often the weakest aspect.

Playing games this year has given me a renewed appreciation especially for games like Torment or the Souls series. Very few games can nail that "stumbled upon something really cool and in depth" aspect these days with so many games designed to make sure players see most of a game.

Resident Evil 7 didn't have side-quests proper, but I think the small optional things you could do in that game were all pretty fun. There was a surprising amount of hidden stuff to uncover and all of them were pretty fun/rewarding to do.

It maybe helped there weren't too many of them and many focused on diversifying the gameplay/objective a bit, and how the structure of the game worked. To give examples, every VHS sequence in RE7 is completely optional to complete the game besides one but all were pretty fun to do. There's a number of hidden items you can get by doing stuff in the environment, the most interesting processes I think were for the double barrel shotgun and the machinegun. There were a few treasure photos you could find to locate hidden treasures. Some items were just insanely well hidden, collecting coins to open up bird cages was pretty engaging, and there were a few kind of neat side stuff you could partake in for just fun.

Ascheroth

Do Nier Automata's side quests get better?

So far it's all very MMO-like fetch quest stuff :/
Niers sidequest aren't really anything special gameplay wise, some are better, some are worse.
It's the stories around those sidequests that make them worth doing (for me at least). Some extremely memorable, haunting and fucked-up things in there.

The area you're in right now has 2 of my favorites btw.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

uO6NMdV.png

Mystery Gift- -- MB-18A6013189F01950 - Taken by Ventilaator. 12 entrants total.

t1490459123z1.png

Mgs V makes me wish there were more MGS games on steam

Yes. The Ac!d games would be perfect.

I wouldn't mind revisiting MGS 2, since it's the one I haven't played in the longest, and never was my favorite. I think I could appreciate the batshittiness of the plot.

And Peace Walker is underrated.

sheaaaa

I think I've gotten the "wait for humble monthly" thing, I was so close to getting Stories Untold but realized that it seem like a game perfect for a humble monthly. I'm never going to able to buy indie games again am I?XD

I'm in the same boat, so what I'm doing is if I know I'm going to play the game right now, I'll spend whatever they're asking for it and sell the key if it does make it to Humble Monthly. I've gotten really good at ignoring the 25-50% off deals for games I would just add to the backlog anyway.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Pay it forward. You can only win this game if you've given away a game since you last won a game (minimum one total giveaway).
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Vd1j7n6.png

Mystery Gift -- MB-8A2EB0B64FE325C4 - Taken by El Pollo Diablo. 13 entrants total.

t1490459308z1.png

Auraela

Banned
Anyone think Microsoft may have gotten a deal with from software for a game spencer keeps mentioning Japanese games etc.

I expect from will announce something at e3 even if its just third party

Village

Yes. The Ac!d games would be perfect.

I wouldn't mind revisiting MGS 2, since it's the one I haven't played in the longest, and never was my favorite. I think I could appreciate the batshittiness of the plot.

And Peace Walker is underrated.

Mgs2 is my favorite because its nuts, and Its message I feel is one I grow to appreciate as time went on

Diedac

ModBot said:
Instructions for Diedac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:

I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Town of Salem -- MB-F1E04546A0B778C4 - Taken by DarKshodaN
Uncanny Valley -- MB-108068F2C9DEAA88 - Taken by Purkake4

I just finished route A of Automata. It took me just shy of 19 hours, and when I was hearing quotes of around this time for the route completion I was expecting mine to be way longer, as I was trying to go for side quests and only saving the ones that seemed a bit out of my level range for later.
It's weird that I gave the wandering couple 50,000g only for the boss fight immediately after to cut off all side quests and funnel me to the end game.

That said I've had a copy of the original NieR lying around collecting dust for a while as I picked it up for $10 when I had the opportunity. If that game has the same kind of general pacing and scope as this, I might want to dig into that shortly after I'm done with Automata. I expected it to be a bit more overwhelming in size for some reason.

The game has a few enemies that are gold-plated that are the same as their regular variants, but they hit harder and have about ohh... 500x the health? I fought a pair of them and it was pretty monotonous, so when I ran into another some time later I just did the sensible thing. I got the idiot stuck in a crevice, locked onto it, and weighed down my pod fire button and did something else in the meantime.

Look at this idiot. Look at him and laugh.

This took literally 25 minutes to whittle down.
It was not worth it.

I'm trying not to think about depressing situation in my country and thousands people that was apprehended today because they don't agree with our government, so i'm planing to stay at home and play games whole weekend. Played 4 hours in Nier, combat is amazing and fascinating to watch, overall game performance is great, no stuttering or noticeable FPS drops after disabling AA completely. But there is way too much backtracking in sidequests, openworld is relatively small in this game but it's still a chore to run across the map just to talk with NPCs and then run back. Can i ignore sidequests and do story stuff without fearing of missing out anything? I see there is 100% sidequests achievement, so i wondering is it possible to get it within one savefile.

Tizoc

Quite enjoying Lit
If u like puzzle games grab it when it goes on sale for around $1 or in a bundle, worth a playthru at least

Jawmuncher

I'm trying not to think about depressing situation in my country and thousands people that was apprehended today because they don't agree with our government, so i'm planing to stay at home and play games whole weekend. Played 4 hours in Nier, combat is amazing and fascinating to watch, overall game performance is great, no stuttering or noticeable FPS drops after disabling AA completely. But there is way too much backtracking in sidequests, openworld is relatively small in this game but it's still a chore to run across the map just to talk with NPCs and then run back. Can i ignore sidequests and do story stuff without fearing of missing out anything? I see there is 100% sidequests achievement, so i wondering is it possible to get it within one savefile.

You can buy any achievement with money in game

Anyone knows if that Nonary games "bundle" price is bugged or intentional?

I mean the Mini-Ost seems to be free, but if you wanna buy the bundle, it shows up as the same price as the whole game, so you dont even save anything if you already have ZTD.

No, he literally means
you can buy the achievements with ingame money.
That's... Interesting, i guess i didn't unlocked this option for now because i looked in menus and didn't find it. And that means that i can complete everything without fearing of missing out and new playthorught from the scratch, right?

Ascheroth

That's... Interesting, i guess i didn't unlocked this option for now because i looked in menus and didn't find it. And that means that i can complete everything without fearing of missing out and new playthorught from the scratch, right?
You get that option after completing the game.
But really, it's built in a way that you really can't permanently miss anything. You'll even unlock
a chapter select feature at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom