• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2017 - IT'S MAHVEL BAYBEE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally finished Far Cry 2 with a grand total of 27 hours playtime. The game feels way better when played as a nature simulator, not a diamond collectathon or Quake-style twitch shooter. Recommend it to anyone who's yet to try it out. If anyone else has played this, make sure to delete your saves! It turns out that every quick save goes into a new slot and at the end, I had over 600 total saves at about 5 MB each.

Thanks very much to pantsattack for the advice on how to properly handle enemy counters and the tip about the mounted-gun cars at safehouses.

That game is fucking hardcore. Probably the most ambitious single player game Ubisoft has made in the last 10 years. Did you get attached to any characters? I remember feeling like shit cause one of my buddies perma-died lol

DasFool

That game is fucking hardcore. Probably the most ambitious single player game Ubisoft has made in the last 10 years. Did you get attached to any characters? I remember feeling like shit cause one of my buddies perma-died lol

Yeah, I had one of my buddies die in the first half, can't remember who it was. Andre became my best man in the second half, though.

Kinda distraught when all your buddies turn on you if you go after the diamonds at the end. Andre sounded like he didn't want to fight, yet he pulled a gun out after the shooting began. I had to take him out. :(

Amzin

The stat scaling in Xanadu Next is kinda crazy. Everything is insanely painful for a few minutes, then you level up at it hits you for 1, and so far that cycle is repeating. The game itself is kinda fun but feels like there's not a whole lot of time spent in the "balanced" part of the stat-cycle :p

The stat scaling in Xanadu Next is kinda crazy. Everything is insanely painful for a few minutes, then you level up at it hits you for 1, and so far that cycle is repeating. The game itself is kinda fun but feels like there's not a whole lot of time spent in the "balanced" part of the stat-cycle :p

Sounds similar to Ys Origin. The level ups are apparently secrets, but they feel necessary. I was hitting a boss for 20 damage per hit, lost several times, left and found a power up, then I'm hitting him for 200. A hard challenge suddenly became an easy one.

ModBot said:
Instructions for GoldandBlue:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste. Your giveaway will be automatically reposted on your behalf.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (GoldandBlue, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

2064: Read Only Memories -- MB-7EDD2D19B7BBC279 - Taken by ctw0e. 1 entrants total.
Jotun -- MB-9ECF9A8A7EA2BC8D - Taken by Zeeman. 17 entrants total.
NiGHTS Into Dreams -- MB-90F3F3A67FDCA8FC - Taken by illusionary. 5 entrants total.
Skullgirls Plus All DLC -- MB-A98D2A7F01F70F4E - Taken by Press Turn. 1 entrants total.
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky -- MB-AA00DF42568492A2 - Taken by Kudo. 17 entrants total.
The Stanley Parable -- MB-A3518884229C8DFB - Taken by Nabae. 1 entrants total.

t1490591844z1.png
Doing my first giveaway.

it's kind of depressing a game called feminazi the triggering was allowed to be released...

Always had mixed feelings about Greenlight, I never cared for all the bad games getting in since they were easy enough to ignore and fine the good stuff. With some of the shit people got in recently though, it can't end soon enough.

it's kind of depressing a game called feminazi the triggering was allowed to be released...

From what I've seen of it, it looks like a shitty game. The developers probably knew they wouldn't get by on their skills, so they went with the attention-grabbing route. And it worked.

From what I gather from youtube comments SJW are responsible for EA being shitty?

and I just roll my eyes at their stupidity,

EA was always shitty before that GG buzzword became a thing lol

EdmondD

I was impressed by the demo of Untold Stories. Really clever concept and great sound design. Actually made me jump and not many games can make me do that.

zkylon

zkylewd
i've actually always liked greenlight as an idea, allowing players to choose which games they want on the store is imo a sound idea and a good way to filter out games that don't look ready for sell based on players' interest and nothing more. the $100 price was too high imo considering that's a serious amount of money for people in lots of countries, but i still think the idea is solid, people do most of the policing and valve doesn't have to weight in at all, no weird cases where some game gets kicked for questionable reasons and if it leans a little on the open side that's not too bad

the problem is when valve doesn't do the minimum curation necessary for something to be sold in their store (like checking if the game actually works), and also the extreme neglect they've given to players' ability to curate through greenlight, as well as the store in general being kind of a mess to browse. valve should've worked on giving tools to players to do the curation, that would encourage legitimate greenlight users to review more games and get more involved, which would also take away some power from the people trying to abuse it

i like the idea of democratizing what's sold on steam, greenlight as a whole has been a big plus compared to what was there before, $100 might be high but it's probably affordable by most serious developers. having to fly to gdc to talk to some valve rep to lobby your game in is very prohibitive, and i bet lots of games we think as essential to the indie world would probably never have made it in under the old system. the whole reason why steam is awesome is because it made both selling and buying games more accessible and both parties benefited from it, and greenlight could've been part of that if valve had given it a bit more attention. i don't know why they did, maybe they have the numbers that say it's not worth it, but valve is often pretty hard to understand so we'll probably never know

about this game in particular, i've not played it but i'm willing to bet it's probably a parody of the meme kind, and i don't think those kinds of parodies do the world any good (i'd say it's pretty close to being like a hate speech loop hole), so i personally find it pretty irresponsible from valve to sell it

haven't played it so maybe it's not like that, idk

From what I've seen of it, it looks like a shitty game. The developers probably knew they wouldn't get by on their skills, so they went with the attention-grabbing route. And it worked.
i just dislike opening it up and seeing it's like "we don't mean to offend anyone" or whatever

feels so spineless to make a game like this and then pretend you're not attacking anyone

Tagyhag

VI has problems that need to be addressed.

The two biggest problems are the AI and the optimization. Even on a good system the AI can take a really long time to process their moves, and late game + 12 other civs? Forget about it. Like 15 minutes waiting.

The AI itself is insanely aggressive and it also feels like they economically cheat.

V has the advantage of 2 expansions worth of balancing and patching, plus, a buttload of mods.

I think VI will get there eventually, but right now, it's just hard to recommend, and it's why it fell off. People assumed it would have been fixed by now I guess.

Anteater

I thought 9s is a terrible character to play as until I run into those stupid ass high level enemies that are bullet sponges, he's not so bad afterall

I thought 9s is a terrible character to play as until I run into those stupid ass high level enemies that are bullet sponges, he's not so bad afterall

Just started playing through route B and was not liking 9S at all either until the enemies started becoming really hard all of a sudden and wondered "is it possible to defeat these enemies...their health is barely going dow....oh wait doesn't he have a hacking ability....oh.....ohh....OHHHH....I see now." Then I discovered fist weapons and mixed those in with spears and now he has become more fun than I originally thought. Still not sure about route B though
I know they are filling in information that you didn't get with 2B and making certain themes more prevalent in the game but in the back of my mind I can't fight the fact that I have done most of this not to long ago. I hope it changes up a bit more as I play further in the Route.

Man it's been like 2 or 3 weeks since the last major Japanese pc port announcement. I need more! Gotta have my fix!
Some dates for any of the Falcom games coming to Steam wouldn't be bad either.

The two biggest problems are the AI and the optimization. Even on a good system the AI can take a really long time to process their moves, and late game + 12 other civs? Forget about it. Like 15 minutes waiting.

The AI itself is insanely aggressive and it also feels like they economically cheat.

V has the advantage of 2 expansions worth of balancing and patching, plus, a buttload of mods.

I think VI will get there eventually, but right now, it's just hard to recommend, and it's why it fell off. People assumed it would have been fixed by now I guess.

Man, what a bummer, hopefully they can fix the problems before they want to sell a expansion

Man it's been like 2 or 3 weeks since the last major Japanese pc port announcement. I need more! Gotta have my fix!

It's ok, Sega will announce their pc ports .......anyday now....anyday now.......... right..........right?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Lionsgate has dozens of films up on Steam, including new releases, however it seems insistent upon only releasing those it can distribute in the US/Canada, and Devolver has an indie film distribution arm that trickles out content. I think Valve was hoping that Lionsgate's presence would result in other distributors following its lead, but that hasn't really happened. Even WB has only bothered to release the Mad Max films.

Ah figures it's a regional thing.

Anteater

Just started playing through route B and was not liking 9S at all either until the enemies started becoming really hard all of a sudden and wondered "is it possible to defeat these enemies...their health is barely going dow....oh wait doesn't he have a hacking ability....oh.....ohh....OHHHH....I see now." Then I discovered fist weapons and mixed those in with spears and now he has become more fun than I originally thought. Still not sure about route B though
I know they are filling in information that you didn't get with 2B and making certain themes more prevalent in the game but in the back of my mind I can't fight the fact that I have done most of this not to long ago. I hope it changes up a bit more as I play further in the Route.

yeah, the gameplay changes aren't strong enough but the additional sidequests are nice in route B actually, I'm trying to finish them before the forest area and they aren't as annoying as the first playthrough

I hate 9s. Had no emotional attachment to him whatsoever.
His hacking skill is nice though.

I like 9s but he's no Kaine

9S is fun to me, the hacking is worth it just for the 8bit versions of the music.

yeah the hacking is good for the higher level enemies you just can't do much damage to

zkylon

zkylewd
At least we got a LGBT flag emoticon +background out of it so at least those edgelords are good for something.
true lol

yea he's ok

honestly i think playing as either of them (or a2) is very fun or deep. it's mindlessly entertaining enough that you don't mind doing it for like 40 hours, but in the same way nier 1's combat was, just with a little bit more nuance and a lot more polish

it's just serviceable enough to get you through the story and world, which is what actually matters

the exploration is at least more fun thanks to the dash and air dash being really satisfying, as well as some other stuff like the boar riding or the journey sand skating. the gliding is kind of a let down since it feels more like it's meant to break your fall rather than actually glide. i really wish that would let u get farther

yeah, it's kind of like nier 1, except in nier 1 the added context kind of changes everything, while here it's like flavor more than anything

route c actually gets into meaningful new stuff so let that be what you're looking forward to, cos nier 2 route b is no nier 1 route b

I hate 9s. Had no emotional attachment to him whatsoever.
His hacking skill is nice though.
i feel like that to every character except for pascal and
emil, but i loved him already

again nothing to do with nier 1, characters here are very hard to relate to since they're really one dimensional and kind of boring

i do like 9s the best out of the three protagonists, at least he wasn't like fucking DON'T QUESTION THE MISSION like 2b

fuck i kind of hate 2b

I want to say "Greenlight sucks," but it brought us stuff like Stardew Valley or Deadly Premonition that absolutely wouldn't have ended up on Steam otherwise. So it has been an acceptable compromise.

Firaxis have got to stop shipping games with huge problems, be they technical or design, that they later address with paid expansions or hope the community sorts out for them through mods. Civ VI kinda feels like Beyond Earth Round 2 in that there's a lot of good ideas in the game but there's also a lot of problems that make it hard to recommend. BE will probably always be a mess but Civ VI will probably eventually be as good as Civ V Brave New World, eventually. Hopefully.

zkylon

zkylewd
i do like nier 2, even if i think it's kind of a bad game, at least in its individual parts, specially those that are supposed to be strong like combat and story and characters, and coming from nier 1 which at least absolutely nailed the last two. like not bad in the nier 1 this game is clunky and underbudgeted way, but bad in the "this game had a lot more budget and time to learn from its mistakes but it lots a lost of its essence in the process"

there's a combination of aesthetic and tone and good music and the occasional strange/bizarre clever thing and nier 1/drakengard reference i pick up (there's probably a gazillion that fly right by me) that i do appreciate and that resonate fairly well with me and keep me going, but yeah, this is not another classic

at least not so far, if i understand it correctly i still have some ways to go

Jawmuncher

i do like nier 2, even if i think it's kind of a bad game, at least in its individual parts, specially those that are supposed to be strong like combat and story and characters, specially coming from nier 1 which at least absolutely nailed the last two. like not bad in the nier 1 way, but bad in the "this game has a lot more budget and time to learn from its mistakes but it lots a lost of its essence in the process"

there's a combination of aesthetic and tone and good music and the occasional strange thing and nier 1/drakengard reference i pick up (there's probably a gazillion that fly right by me) that i do appreciate and that resonate fairly well with me and keep me going

I agree with that. It does seem they improved one area drastically while regressing on the other.

yeah, the gameplay changes aren't strong enough but the additional sidequests are nice in route B actually, I'm trying to finish them before the forest area and they aren't as annoying as the first playthrough

I like 9s but he's no Kaine

yeah the hacking is good for the higher level enemies you just can't do much damage to

Not sure if you're interested in leveling a good deal or not but if you head to the amusement park as 9S you can hack the robots and attack the statue. It's lvl 80 though.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of GoldandBlue, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (GoldandBlue, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

2064: Read Only Memories -- MB-7EDD2D19B7BBC279 - Taken by ctw0e. 1 entrants total.
Jotun -- MB-9ECF9A8A7EA2BC8D - Taken by Zeeman. 17 entrants total.
NiGHTS Into Dreams -- MB-90F3F3A67FDCA8FC - Taken by illusionary. 5 entrants total.
Skullgirls Plus All DLC -- MB-A98D2A7F01F70F4E - Taken by Press Turn. 1 entrants total.
The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky -- MB-AA00DF42568492A2 - Taken by Kudo. 17 entrants total.
The Stanley Parable -- MB-A3518884229C8DFB - Taken by Nabae. 1 entrants total.

t1490591844z1.png

Anteater

route c actually gets into meaningful new stuff so let that be what you're looking forward to, cos nier 2 route b is no nier 1 route b

man Nier 1 route b was like god tier right from the beginning with the Kaine back story, Nier 2 route B is pretty subtle with the changes

Not sure if you're interested in leveling a good deal or not but if you head to the amusement park as 9S you can hack the robots and attack the statue. It's lvl 80 though.

hmm interesting, i never ran into that when i was at the amusement park

man Nier 1 route b was like god tier right from the beginning with the Kaine back story, Nier 2 route B is pretty subtle with the changes

hmm interesting, i never ran into that when i was at the amusement park

It's the rabbit statue right at the entrance. If you attack it enough times with a robot it comes to life, obviously hacking it is best.

Ni No Kuni 2 is releasing in 2017, we'll see the release date soon maybe at E3.

Final Fantasy XII HD announcement is also on the horizon.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The redrawn art isn't bad IMO, but...they don't have Kaneko feel, and the fact that they're replacing the original art is hella lame; surely they could've just used original art and implemented them?

All they did was put it in Photoshop and smooth-filtered it. What happened with Kaneko anyway?

Is there a quick way to remove saves from Steam Cloud?

I'm about to give Fallout 4 another shot, but it keeps insisting on downloading 1GB of saves before starting. I know I can turn off Steam Cloud, but I'd like to have my saves synced since I'm planning on playing on 2 PC's ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom