• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2017 - IT'S MAHVEL BAYBEE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

maty

Honest question, why is everything compared or referenced to Dark Souls? (haven't played it) .

Is it the difficulty? because lots of games were hard before this popular new franchise arrived. The atmosphere? The mechanics? Level design? Some comparisons don't even make sense.

If Super Meat boy was released today, people would call it the darks souls of platformers :/

I barely started Hollow Knight so I don't know how hard it will get but sometimes I feel gamers overestimate games' difficulty.

I don't see any hype here about this game, but in case anyone interested, retail steam keys for Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War 3 should be available for activation now if you bought game outside Steam store.

jediyoshi

2BeKvMH.gif

It's a crime that Battlegrounds doesn't have a first person only mode, because I don't think most players have seen this reload animation yet

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
The game should just download a patch and update when when you turn it on

That should let you pick a campaign to play when you start a new file

That's how it worked for me on Wii U with the first expansion anyway

Oh ok. I remember now that you were supposed to get the first update for free, but I had no idea it included the others as well.

Pixieking

Banned
Honest question, why is everything compared or referenced to Dark Souls? (haven't played it) .

Is it the difficulty? because lots of games were hard before this popular new franchise arrived. The atmosphere? The mechanics? Level design? Some comparisons don't even make sense.

A mixture of things (speaking personally, obviously).

Level design is surprising. Exploring an area, and finding it open up into a vista, and then looking behind and realising that you can actually track your past hour or two's progress is pretty thrilling. I completed Bloodborne, and then started Nioh, and in comparison, Nioh's levels are predictable and obvious - "I expect there's some treasure here, with a dead-end. Oh, look, I was right." Dark Souls (and Bloodborne) have a minimum of predictability, without being procedural generated. The sense of loneliness and exploration is amazing, I think.

Environmental story-telling. Like, if you see an elevator with a blood texture on it, that's a hint that the elevator is trapped some how. There's lots of small nods from the developers like that, and it fleshes out the world a lot.

Mechanics are taught without a stupid tutorial - just notes and messages.

Stories which aren't over-told can't be badly told. Nioh's story is - imo - pretty crap, and the devs take great pains in laying it all out. But it's so meh, I end-up just not caring about it in any way. SoulsBorne games have a story, but the player has to be piece it together, so if they care about it, they can, and if not, then can just go around killing things and murdering NPCs.

The difficulty is over-rated, and I think it's used as a way to be elitist about the games - honestly, my Dark Souls 3 character is level 190 or so, and it just minces everything. But it's a good thing about the Souls games - if you like them and have the patience, you can just over-level to compensate for a lack of skills.

There's other points, too, like the combat is satisfying and the enemy designs are awesome (and scary, in some cases), but that's most of why I like them. :)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

If Super Meat boy was released today, people would call it the darks souls of platformers :/

I barely started Hollow Knight so I don't know how hard it will get but sometimes I feel gamers overestimate games' difficulty.

it has nothing to do with the difficulty, its because it uses the same style of (missable) "quests" as Dark Souls as you will trigger certain NPCs through out the game, the vibe, the fact you collect your dead soul to regain your currency, the bizarre super hidden secrets that only a community of players would decipher like Dark Souls, that directly influence the story of the game and extra bosses and whatnot.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
There were only 2 remade though.

exactly

what wouldn't I give for HD Chip n Dale

memes and it's the "casual's difficult game" as they say it

maty

A mixture of things (speaking personally, obviously).

There's other points, too, like the combat is satisfying and the enemy designs are awesome (and scary, in some cases), but that's most of why I like them. :)

it has nothing to do with the difficulty, its because it uses the same style of (missable) "quests" as Dark Souls as you will trigger certain NPCs through out the game, the vibe, the fact you collect your dead soul to regain your currency, the bizarre super hidden secrets that only a community of players would decipher like Dark Souls, that directly influence the story of the game and extra bosses and whatnot.

Thank you for both your answers :)

While I understand what you are saying I believe I have to play DS to truly get what makes it so special.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Better late than never! I suppose this puts a dent in the theory that its Bethesda.net exclusivity on the PC side would prove to be a precursor to Bethesda pulling an EA.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
nice price on that 2d Zelda clone Blossom Tales that someone reviewed some days ago.

and by nice price, I mean its a indie game that isnt 20€ >_>

Its 15€, with 15% discount dropping it to 12.75€

data

Man, I was really hoping I'd like Rain World despite it being overly frustrating :/ But after 1 hour and knowing what other kind of even more difficult enemies you get I don't even want to try. I was having fun the first 40 minutes, since I could take it slow, use the pillars to escape lizards, wait it out etc. Then it started raining, and I was nearly at another hibernation room, if I got there I could've gotten to the third rank, but the rain got me and instead I lost a rank. :/ Then I tried going to another hibernation chamber trying not to take as long, but I died because I wasn't careful enough. Then again and again. I don't even want to try a turn because I know if I get to another hibernation chamber, I'll have to get to ANOTHER one without dying to progress. I really like the art and the ecosystem stuff is really cool but it's too hard for me and I suck too much. Which makes me sad. I don't even feel like it's a game but a wildlife simulator since I'm not having any fun anymore.

duppolo

Man, I was really hoping I'd like Rain World despite it being overly frustrating :/ But after 1 hour and knowing what other kind of even more difficult enemies you get I don't even want to try. I was having fun the first 40 minutes, since I could take it slow, use the pillars to escape lizards, wait it out etc. Then it started raining, and I was nearly at another hibernation room, if I got there I could've gotten to the third rank, but the rain got me and instead I lost a rank. :/ Then I tried going to another hibernation chamber trying not to take as long, but I died because I wasn't careful enough. Then again and again. I don't even want to try a turn because I know if I get to another hibernation chamber, I'll have to get to ANOTHER one without dying to progress. I really like the art and the ecosystem stuff is really cool but it's too hard for me and I suck too much. Which makes me sad. I don't even feel like it's a game but a wildlife simulator since I'm not having any fun anymore.

lol seems a lot of fun. dark souls is for kids

Was waiting for the DS3 complete edition but in April (and May, June and maybe even July lol) I'll be busy with Persona 5.
This will probably have to wait until the steam winter sale.

MUnited83

For you.
I'm not really feeling the Capcom Disney release. But maybe I'm spoiled by the older Disney games being actually remade.
I'm very hyped for some classics being available legally on their original form so to speak, with some nice content and improvements added. We need more of those collections.

Ibuki

Banned
I still want Snake Pass regardless of any launch discount. It's pretty dumb that it's full price on every other platform though. Meanwhile the bad reviews for Rain World got me shook.

Danielsan

Man, I'm so damn curious. I bought the game this afternoon at work, just because it sounds super interesting. Almost everyone has issues with it, and yet still, I want to experience it for myself.

Tonton

Was waiting for the DS3 complete edition but in April (and May, June and maybe even July lol) I'll be busy with Persona 5.
This will probably have to wait until the steam winter sale.

I'm starting to think I'm gonna have to wait for winter minimum too for dark souls 3, I want the complete game sub R$100 come on, Bamco

And I still want to get Berseria and Nier this year >.>

Deques

EU Square enix bundle is up

Mini Ninjas, Tomb Raider Anniversary and Kane and Lynch 2 apart from Just Cause 3

This is not a good bundle at all...

Rhaknar

Mini Ninjas, Tomb Raider Anniversary and Kane and Lynch 2 apart from Just Cause 3

good thing I waited for JC3 to be on humble monthly then

edit: I see Vazra is banned, what did him in btw?

Where did that Battlegrounds game come from? I heard nothing about it and then that's all I see. It's putting up significant numbers on Twitch, too.

It looks like a more accessible DayZ. Is that about right?

Tizoc

That's lame outside of TR Ann.
Can one request a refund for it? I hadn't redeemed the key(s) yet. edit: I see you already requested one; I may follow suit if yours go through.

good thing I waited for JC3 to be on humble monthly then

edit: I see Vazra is banned, what did him in btw?

Yeah I've suspected it being on Humble Monthly for some time now XP

Pachimari

Where did that Battlegrounds game come from? I heard nothing about it and then that's all I see. It's putting up significant numbers on Twitch, too.

It looks like a more accessible DayZ. Is that about right?

It's been on the way for long while, and have been at the top of Twitch for as equally a long time. It's super popular in the genre.

xist

I worry about being banned from the Square-Enix store for refunding, the same way as people talk about getting banned from Amazon....

Lomax

Wonder how similar the NA bundle will be. Would love to get Just Cause 3 but already have all that other stuff. Plus it seems unlikely the NA bundle will have JC3 but more likely to have a Final Fantasy game.

Edit: funny thing is that retail on those four games is $88 total, so that would be right around the estimate for the NA bundle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom