• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2017 - IT'S MAHVEL BAYBEE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabs

April 5th.

qJ3Y22v.png

Wow. Timed Exclusive. Gonna start a hate tumblr now.

FLD

I've been too busy watching Styx 2 playthroughs to make giveaways. ;)

I'm trying to avoid watching too much extended gameplay but I'm curious about one thing. The last few trailers had a... concerning amount of "jokes" in them. I mean completely out of place pop-culture references, like a Buzz Lightyear quote. From what you've seen, does it look like the actual game is full of that kinda stuff? I'm kind of hoping it was just for the trailers because it was pretty off-putting...

I mean, it's not like Styx 1 was some big serious game or anything but it still felt pretty out of place to me. :/

Vuze

I'm trying to avoid watching too much extended gameplay but I'm curious about one thing. The last few trailers had a... concerning amount of "jokes" in them. I mean completely out of place pop-culture references, like a Buzz Lightyear quote. From what you've seen, does it look like the actual game is full of that kinda stuff? I'm kind of hoping it was just for the trailers because it was pretty off-putting...

I mean, it's not like Styx 1 was some big serious game or anything but it still felt pretty out of place to me. :/
Played some more today and he made two jokes about AssCreed. It was the usual white hood/haystack cliché, didn't mind it too much. Other than that I'm probably not too versed with pop culture quotes so I guess if there were any, they went over my head 😜

gngf123

Okay, so I played around with the Switch pro controller today. Fuck is that thing comfortable. I love the large clunky face buttons and the weight.

Might be the most comfortable controller I've ever used. Genuinely thinking about using it as a PC controller in future.

Such is the downside to remaking a ~30-year-old game but strictly adhering to the blueprint. It's more for fans of the 1989 original than a new audience.

They're using the same levels from the original? I never played that one, but I played Monster World IV...that was a blast. Hard to imagine its predecessors were that plain...

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Okay, so I played around with the Switch pro controller today. Fuck is that thing comfortable. I love the large clunky face buttons and the weight.

Might be the most comfortable controller I've ever used. Genuinely thinking about using it as a PC controller in future.

I'm also loving it and plan on picking up another as soon as they go back in stock. The battery life is top notch. My only complaint is that it doesn't support audio out (headphones) like the DS4 / XBO controllers do.

FLD

Played some more today and he made two jokes about AssCreed. It was the usual white hood/haystack cliché, didn't mind it too much. Other than that I'm probably not too versed with pop culture quotes so I guess if there were any, they went over my head ��

See, that doesn't sound too bad, as long as it's just a vague reference. Like, AC isn't too far removed from a medieval setting and the one from the Witcher 2 was pretty subtle, so it was fine. But stuff like this and this really make me wonder wtf they were thinking.

Anyway, so you've got an early copy, uh? I'm jealous. :p I'm assuming it's for review and you're under embargo? I'm still on the fence about pre-ordering, so any reassurance you can provide that it's at least as good as the first one would be welcome lol.

zkylon

zkylewd
Looking at the Drakengard games, no, he's not. He acknowledges them as actual game developers. That's already more praise than I would grant them.
he's the game's director, in the end it's his responsibility to design a game around the strengths and weaknesses of his team.

also idk about drakengard cos I only played 1 on emulator but nier 1 was fine

I find that attitude in real poor form, you don't even know exactly what he means in the quote. for all we know square rushed drake3 or whatever

Kudo

I'm also loving it and plan on picking up another as soon as they go back in stock. The battery life is top notch. My only complaint is that it doesn't support audio out (headphones) like the DS4 / XBO controllers do.

Yup, I've played Zelda for 2 nights straight and it's still on full charge.
I hope Steam adds support for the controller soon so that I can use it when playing Souls and YS VIII.

Nillansan

for one Firis is much more demanding, could be due to poor optimization but there can be other reasons. I maybe got lucky with Sophie as some people had problems with that port, I had none, it ran so good that Firis came as a shock to me. I finally managed to get Firis to run somewhat satisfactorily, so not like it is a terrible port or anything, but it isn't Sophie level of good either.

Thanks for the impressions. What sort of set up do you have? I hope that Koei Tecmo will address the issues or that the community somehow manages to resolve the them. The community support for Atelier Sophie has been impressive.

It doesn't support MSAA and it requires significantly more GPU performance than it should.

That's a shame, hopefully I'll be able to achieve a locked 60 FPS at 1440P on a 980 TI and an 3570K overclocked to 4.5 GHz. I still need to play Atelier Sophie first though.

Knurek

I wish Valve would just hire Nintendo people for SteamCon v2.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
he's the game's director, in the end it's his responsibility to design a game around the strengths and weaknesses of his team.

also idk about drakengard cos I only played 1 on emulator but nier 1 was fine

I find that attitude in real poor form, you don't even know exactly what he means in the quote. for all we know square rushed drake3 or whatever

His whole sense of humor is pretty self-deprecating. He throws himself under the bus more often than he does anyone he's worked with. I wouldn't look at it as though he's being malicious towards anyone he's worked with in the past! Being so up-front and brazenly open towards tearing apart his own games isn't something we see a lot of, and I kind of find it refreshing.

zkylon

zkylewd
by the way if the development team has all the blame for idk nier being kind of ugly they should also have all the praise for the story and music and shit right?

or the good parts were all made by yoko taro himself

gngf123

by the way if the development team has all the blame for the game they should also have all the praise right?

or the good parts were all made by yoko taro himself

He recently had an interview where he said the parts of Nier Automata he worked on were "all poop" and Platinum were great.

He is completely happy to throw shade at himself and I actually really like that about him.

Mivey

Since Nier Automata seems to come out better, I would assume the rest of the dev team was the lacking component. The guy who is too shy to shew his face is probably not great at social competence and might not be able work well with every team. But give him a professional setup like Platinum and he seems to have produced the best game of his career.
And I want to reiterate that from what little I have played of the Drakengard games, they are really really bad. I hope he gets to make more games with Platinum.

M.D

Not sure what I was expecting but Enter the Gungeon feels way different from Nuclear Throne and it's also more difficult, for me at least..

I like it but I feel like everything about Nuclear Throne is more satisfying from the music to the art style to how the weapons handle (although I've only made it to the second floor so far so I haven't tested a lot of weapons. That pillow weapon you get from a boss is pretty awesome tho!)

Nzyme32

There really needs to be a notice of free dlc for a game that you may not have picked up.

A month or so back I realised I never picked up the free HD Texture pack for Shadow of Mordor. Just tried it now, and it's much nicer as well as properly addressing supersampling even for 16:10 displays (which it wasn't doing properly last time).

zkylon

zkylewd
Since Nier Automata seems to come out better, I would assume the rest of the dev team was the lacking component. The guy who is too shy to shew his face is probably not great at social competence and might not be able work well with every team. But give him a professional setup like Platinum and he seems to have produced the best game of his career.
And I want to reiterate that from what little I have played of the Drakengard games, they are really really bad. I hope he gets to make more games with Platinum.
i played all of drakengard 1 and that game is "really really bad" in a very deliberate and, if the two games of him i've played tell me anything, in a very yoko taro kind of way

i just feel it really repulsed when someone like yoko taro shits on his dev team considering that the dozens of devs worked on that game probably under very shitty conditions, get zero recognition but then have to take all the blame

it's not like that, you direct a game, you're responsible for that game, if your team can't make the game you want to make then make something else, and if you're shy and can't work with anyone other than platinum games well what can i tell you buddy...

i like yoko taro and his games (even drakengard) and i find him a funny persona and everything and hey, maybe his dev team knows what he means, rockstar attitudes are nice and all but labor conditions in game development are so shitty i'd rather have the captain saying "couldn't have done it with my team"

also shitting on urself doesn't make it cool to shit on others!

Tizoc

Honestly, Mighty No9, while dissapointing, wasn't really any worse than like half of the real Megaman games.

Nice. Gimme all the fighters on PC.

Eh I liked Mighty #9, should replay it again though.

Chaos Code on the other hand is a game I am glad is coming alongside the Ps4 ver. I'll get it on PC for now and PS4 when it goes on sale.

Vuze

Anyway, so you've got an early copy, uh? I'm jealous. :p I'm assuming it's for review and you're under embargo? I'm still on the fence about pre-ordering, so any reassurance you can provide that it's at least as good as the first one would be welcome lol.
Yeah. Unfortunately I didn't get around to play the first one ever since I picked it up in November but safe to say the game is fun and the levels are quite large and packed so far. It also looks pretty nice and runs buttery smooth on my 4790k/1080 combo (feels like 90fps+ at 1440p Max, I didn't use a fps counter tho). No complaints at this point in time ;)

Tizoc

Yeah. Unfortunately I didn't get around to play the first one ever since I picked it up in November but safe to say the game is fun and the levels are quite large and packed so far. It also looks pretty nice and runs buttery smooth on my 4790k/1080 combo (feels like 90fps+ at 1440p Max, I didn't use a fps counter tho). No complaints at this point in time ;)

Thanks for the feedback. Any chance you could provide some more gameplay impressions if you could?

Ampsicora

Speaking about the 4K option for NiER Automata, I've found a old interview by Famitsu made during the gamescom and translated by a fansite

Here the complete interview

—Will the PC version be 4K (Ultra HD)?

Saito: That hasn’t been decided yet, but we’d like to try for it. Simply, NieR:Automata runs at 60fps, but to run at 4K with 60fps, you might have to beef up your computer……

Aside by the Editor: The speculated PS4.5/PS4K/Neo console supposedly has the same specs: 4K w/ 60fps.

there's a chance, right?

Tonton

I sure hope they won't use the 900p prerendered cutscenes the PS versions have.
Please :(

really doubt they're gonna have higher res cutscenes just for the pc version

why isn't everything real time nowadays

It doesn't even make any sense why the prerendered cutscenes were 900p res in the first place.

the resolution on the base ps4 is 900p so i guess they wanted to match that
which is kinda dumb!

C4rter

Great, they announced "Panzer Corps 2" in Unreal Engine 4 for 2018.

http://flashback.games/devblog/panzer-corps-2-a-new-story-begins/

First of all, an improved modern-looking 3D graphics powered by a state-of-the-art game engine. Like Panzer General 20 years ago, we want the game to be a gateway into the wonderful world of wargaming for more casual audiences. If you compare Panzer Corps gameplay to games like Civilization, Heroes of Might and Magic Heroes and XCOM, you can’t help thinking that Panzer Corps is no more complex and no less addictive. Millions of players are enjoying these games. They should be able to enjoy Panzer Corps too. But for younger players out there, moden graphics seems to be a prerequisite. So, we are going to make sure the game looks good enough for any player potentially interested in playing it.

Then, of course there is the gameplay. For me personally, this will always remain a top priority. When Panzer Corps originally came out, it was widely praised by the press and players alike, but some people felt that the game did not bring enough innovation to the table. This time, it is going to be different. Our promise to the fans of the series is that there won’t be lack of innovation in the sequel. We are not going to try and sell the same game with updated looks one more time. Panzer Corps has certainly got a lot of content. Total number of scenarios across all expansions and DLCs approaches a whopping 400. Many fans of the series still have not finished playing through all campaigns available. I think, in Panzer Corps 2 the players will expect a new experience, not just more content. And this is what we are going to deliver.

At the same time, Panzer Corps 2 will remain 100% true to traditions of the series. There will be no “dumbing down” of anything, promised. People who have been following my work since PG Forever days know that for me “traditions of the series” is no empty phrase. I always treated it with utmost respect, and Panzer Corps 2 will be no different. And even if I try to do something terribly wrong, I’m sure that our fantastic fan community will step in and help me to remain on the right course. I hope that seasoned Panzer Corps players will feel themsleves instantly at home with new game and get countless hours of enjoyment from it.

Ascheroth

really doubt they're gonna have higher res cutscenes just for the pc version

why isn't everything real time nowadays

the resolution on the base ps4 is 900p so i guess they wanted to match that
which is kinda dumb!
Didn't have enough money to buy enough GameCubes and Duct-Tape to render those additional ps?
hopefully .. there is a weird rumour of 1080p lock going on steam forums right now 😢 Denuvo itself is borderline dealbreaker fo me , this would be total one
"rumor" "steam forums" vs. Platinums previous track record
Gee, I wonder what I'd trust more :p

Parsnip

Played a few hours of Firis.
Not a big fan of the English VO on the two sisters, which is too bad since most of Sophie was actually fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom