• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2017 - IT'S MAHVEL BAYBEE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
That "would you drop console gaming for PC gaming" thread got randomly bumped and man those replies. I get if you prefer consoles but some people reply so angrily like it was an insult to ask.
I honestly blame last gen's rampant fanboyism

it wasn't as bad back in the PS2/GC/XB era

Momentary

Banned
I can't continue with Firis until it's brought up to par with Sophie. I still have to beat Sophie anyway. Hopefully there is a community fix down the line.

MUnited83

For you.
I can't continue with Firis until it's brought up to par with Sophie. I still have to beat Sophie anyway. Hopefully there is a community fix down the line.
I'm really sad about it not being DX9. All the cool AA and other visual improvements you can inject on Sophie make it looks amazing. Firis both doesn't run well, and doesn't have the possibility for that extensive visual upgrade either.

PC Gamer has Mount and Blade II 4K screenshots

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1350980

giphy.gif

looking a bit... eh?

Momentary

Banned
I'm really sad about it not being DX9. All the cool AA and other visual improvements you can inject on Sophie make it looks amazing. Firis both doesn't run well, and doesn't have the possibility for that extensive visual upgrade either.

I was able to throw some stuff at it, but it would hurt performance for people without beast GPUs.

Touched the game up some. There is still AA issues and the game is no where near as optimized as Sophie. Also... The lower left menu that pops up with the button commands reduces my framerate by about 15 when it shows up. If you're not running about 60 you won't see it. So not a big issue.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/202795
32935367940_71c66f8172_o.jpg

32503731323_55f2884def_o.jpg

MUnited83

For you.
I was able to throw some stuff at it, but it would hurt performance for people without beast GPUs.
Very nice, any guide on what you did? Hoping they fix up the performance like they did with Sophie to do that.

Also, seems it's not going to be quite playable on the GPD Win, which is a shame :(

Wok

I find it very hard to believe that any game will surpass it this year as goty, I havent liked a game that much since the first Dark Souls.

2017 should be the year of Miegakure.

Lit is a pretty bad PC port.

[...]

animation looks good though.

Gamepad is supported. Except the leaderboard complaint, using a gamepad solves most issues.

Incredible difference for the items on the table (and the furniture itself).

I'm kind of a "Why not both" kind of guy. It's expensive but I don't miss out on any exclusives that way!

Yea I just like to play whatever has good games. Switch is gonna have Mario and Monster Hunter so yay more shit to buy. I just hope they get the hardware issues sorted by the time it has a worthwhile software lineup.

Deques

I started Naruto and you play five minutes and than a 40 minutes cutscene happens, it's worse than MGSIV.

Just don't play the story mode. I wish that the cutscenes could be skipped. And it sucks that it's in story mode you can unlock new content (at least what I know)

Sarcasm

So my mother wants to gift me a game for my birthday how do I help her do it?

Some information. My mother lives in the states while I live in Taiwan.

Ludens

Banned
Just don't play the story mode. I wish that the cutscenes could be skipped. And it sucks that it's in story mode you can unlock new content (at least what I know)

Dunno, I'm playing that and honestly I'm having fun. I never watched the anime, so I know nothing about characters and the plot itself, but I'm liking it. The only awful thing is they literally throw you minutes and minutes of cutscenes after every fight, but at least I can understand the story. With the One Piece game, that was impossible.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Why is Hotline Miami 2 so much less fun than the first one?

I don't think I ever actually rage quit while playing the first one but I've done it twice so far with the 2nd. There was a point early on where I was thinking 'If this was a random no-name bundle fodder game, I'd have retired it by now.'

I'd tentatively chalk it up to the emphasis on gunplay and how often you get shot dead from the extreme edge of vision as opposed to the first ones emphasis on melee and thrown weapons. I switched the look key to spacebar because I was holding it down so much as shift my pinky finger was getting tired. I'd also say the levels being bigger, longer, and having more floors makes them inherently more frustrating to get through--in the first one you'd often get killed by the last enemy on a stage and have to do it over again and again, but it didn't feel nearly as frustrating a waste of time as it does here because the better you got the faster you could do a floor. You could risk your life for clearing a room quickly and not be too put out if it didn't work the first few times, and it'd be satisfying when it did.

In HM2 it just generally feels like you have a lot less variety of options in how you'll tackle a floor, and because guns are so immediately deadly you spend a lot of time kiting enemies into doorways. In the same vein, I can't say I'm fond of so many levels picking your character for you and having weapons you can't drop. The level design doesn't really feel like it keeps pace with that design decision. Oh, and then there's the ambiguity about what counts as a wall, a table you can shoot over, and stuff that's just a starkly different colored floor for some reason.

Always weird to play a sequel that feels like it could have been the first in the series and the actual first game was the refined successor.

It's definitely the focus on gunplay. The first was just this frenetic melee blitz that had occasional guns in the mix, whereas the second plays more like an overhead Contra with enemies that also see and shoot you off screen. I just found myself in so many cases where the most effective method of approach was just cheesing AI behaviour by baiting them into corners or doors and very much inching my way through areas while using the look ahead controls to plot the enemy placements. In the first game, I never once used look ahead.

Deques

Dunno, I'm playing that and honestly I'm having fun. I never watched the anime, so I know nothing about characters and the plot itself, but I'm liking it. The only awful thing is they literally throw you minutes and minutes of cutscenes after every fight, but at least I can understand the story. With the One Piece game, that was impossible.

I agree that the cutscenes are way too long, I wish those could be skipable since I have read through the entire manga. I would play through the story mode if it weren't for the long cutscenes

derFeef

Why is Hotline Miami 2 so much less fun than the first one?

I don't think I ever actually rage quit while playing the first one but I've done it twice so far with the 2nd. There was a point early on where I was thinking 'If this was a random no-name bundle fodder game, I'd have retired it by now.'

I'd tentatively chalk it up to the emphasis on gunplay and how often you get shot dead from the extreme edge of vision as opposed to the first ones emphasis on melee and thrown weapons. I switched the look key to spacebar because I was holding it down so much as shift my pinky finger was getting tired. I'd also say the levels being bigger, longer, and having more floors makes them inherently more frustrating to get through--in the first one you'd often get killed by the last enemy on a stage and have to do it over again and again, but it didn't feel nearly as frustrating a waste of time as it does here because the better you got the faster you could do a floor. You could risk your life for clearing a room quickly and not be too put out if it didn't work the first few times, and it'd be satisfying when it did.

In HM2 it just generally feels like you have a lot less variety of options in how you'll tackle a floor, and because guns are so immediately deadly you spend a lot of time kiting enemies into doorways. In the same vein, I can't say I'm fond of so many levels picking your character for you and having weapons you can't drop. The level design doesn't really feel like it keeps pace with that design decision. Oh, and then there's the ambiguity about what counts as a wall, a table you can shoot over, and stuff that's just a starkly different colored floor for some reason.

Always weird to play a sequel that feels like it could have been the first in the series and the actual first game was the refined successor.

Yep, it's really sad. I dropped that game pretty quickly and boot up the first game when I am in the mood for Hotline.

derFeef

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (derFeef, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

STASIS -- MB-404985AB4816B0B1 - Taken by Chairmanchuck. 5 entrants total.

t1489053216z1.png

Arthea

I'm not sure that will happen, there is still no word from KT of any sort as far as I know.

Have you reached outside? I have a weird texture glitch there, not sure how to fix that and it seems nobody else is having it. It's a pity that so few people play Firis, it's much harder to find solutions and solve problems.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I swear you youngins and your language. I dunno what lit is but back in my day we call them "the shaz!"

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (bobnowhere, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

t1cxE6r.gif
Wave of Darkness -- MB-6225DEF6F6A9EE97 - Taken by MaxiLive
Tribal Pass -- MB-55EB650F38FE9B54 - Taken by Vlad

Buraindo

PC Gamer has Mount and Blade II 4K screenshots

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1350980

giphy.gif

Looks very good. Hope it releases this year.

yea i feel like what i want from mount and blade 2 is more stuff besides fighting, cos that's where a lot of the emergent storytelling came from and i have so many awesome stories of crazy shit happening that had nothing to do with the combat

the combat is key as well but the thing i want most is more npc and faction shit

also i hope it has bad voiceacting

I think you meant godlike voice acting.

Jawmuncher

🤔

The "I'd rather die" stuff is amusing.

I never understood why people can't be more accepting. I can understand not having the funds to own all consoles and a good PC. But damn, I dunno why people still hold onto this school yard concept that it has to be one and that's it.

I personally could never fully give up console gaming. Whether it be from portable systems or console exclusives. But PC as a whole is a very great platform that offers something for everyone, and so long as you aren't trying to be Ultra High Super Settings is pretty budget friendly.

I do think a big issue is the stigma that PC has to be at a desk, or that everything has to be played with mouse and keyboard. Which is just sad that it hasn't gotten past that yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom