• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2017 - IT'S MAHVEL BAYBEE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pixieking

Banned
I never understood why people can't be more accepting. I can understand not having the funds to own all consoles and a good PC. But damn, I dunno why people still hold onto this school yard concept that it has to be one and that's it.

I personally could never fully give up console gaming. Whether it be from portable systems or console exclusives. But PC as a whole is a very great platform that offers something for everyone, and so long as you aren't trying to be Ultra High Super Settings is pretty budget friendly.

I do think a big issue is the stigma that PC has to be at a desk, or that everything has to be played with mouse and keyboard. Which is just sad that it hasn't gotten past that yet.

With the bolded, I think that Valve could've done a lot more to push the Steam Controller as its own thing. It's thematically tied to BPM and SteamOS, which makes sense in one way - couch gaming - but also means that people just disregard it if they don't like the idea of BPM or SteamOS. I use the controller just sat at my desk, playing games on my laptop - it's a joy to use, and I don't think Valve really pushed that angle. They're doing a little more to push the DS4 compatibility of the Steam client, but even so...

The other thing I think with the Steam Controller is that the elitism of gamers has sunk it, somewhat. People saying in the SFV community that you're better off playing keyboard/mouse than using a SC (moronic). People in the Dark Souls community saying that it's shit (I've completed Dark Souls 2 and 3 with it, no it ain't). People generally saying it's shit compared to the DS4 or XBox Elite controllers (I think the opposite, and still dislike the DS4 after completing Bloodborne).

All of which are little things, but add to the impression that keyboard/mouse and sitting at a desk is the only "right way" to be a PC gamer.

I never understood why people can't be more accepting. I can understand not having the funds to own all consoles and a good PC. But damn, I dunno why people still hold onto this school yard concept that it has to be one and that's it.

I personally could never fully give up console gaming. Whether it be from portable systems or console exclusives. But PC as a whole is a very great platform that offers something for everyone, and so long as you aren't trying to be Ultra High Super Settings is pretty budget friendly.

I do think a big issue is the stigma that PC has to be at a desk, or that everything has to be played with mouse and keyboard. Which is just sad that it hasn't gotten past that yet.

The problem is that some people only think that PC is this:
asus-pc-de-bureau-k31ade-fr023t-4go-de-ram-win.jpg

When it's also this:

Nabs

It's so weird to me. It's 2017 and we're still getting comfy couch hot takes.

With the bolded, I think that Valve could've done a lot more to push the Steam Controller as its own thing. It's thematically tied to BPM and SteamOS, which makes sense in one way - couch gaming - but also means that people just disregard it if they don't like the idea of BPM or SteamOS. I use the controller just sat at my desk, playing games on my laptop - it's a joy to use, and I don't think Valve really pushed that angle. They're doing a little more to push the DS4 compatibility of the Steam client, but even so...

The other thing I think with the Steam Controller is that the elitism of gamers has sunk it, somewhat. People saying in the SFV community that you're better off playing keyboard/mouse than using a SC (moronic). People in the Dark Souls community saying that it's shit (I've completed Dark Souls 2 and 3 with it, no it ain't). People generally saying it's shit compared to the DS4 or XBox Elite controllers (I think the opposite, and still dislike the DS4 after completing Bloodborne).

All of which are little things, but add to the impression that keyboard/mouse and sitting at a desk is the only "right way" to be a PC gamer.

The SC could use a soft relaunch or something. It would be nice if journalists would give the controller a second chance. Valve needs to make a video showcasing the strengths of the controller. Something that highlights native support, gyro aiming, gyro/trackpad driving, radial/touch menus, activators, mouse region, etc.

Pixieking

Banned
It's so weird to me. It's 2017 and we're still getting comfy couch hot takes.

The SC could use a soft relaunch or something. It would be nice if journalists would give the controller a second chance. Valve needs to make a video showcasing the strengths of the controller. Something that highlights native support, gyro aiming, gyro/trackpad driving, radial/touch menus, activators, mouse region, etc.

Yeah, I fully understand why Valve released it in the state they did - a vast amount of work and input has come from the community. But it meant that the initial impressions are ones that have stuck with it. To be fair, any gaming site worth its salt should've have kept an eye on it and done updates and reappraisals as the client software and community support strengthened, but whatcha gonna do? A soft relaunch would be the next best thing, but seems unlikely, especially with the controller update known to be in the works. Perhaps Valve will surprise us - with the store redesign in the works, it'd make sense to soft relaunch Steam generally... But.... Yeahhhhhh... Valve gonna Valve.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

purchase justification, brand loyalty, etc.

derFeef

SC is the best thing for Action RPG's, it's a dream for Dark Souls and DD. It just needs time to set everything up and learn, this is a part where they could improve heavily. With the community and developer profiles they already started easying in people, but it's not enough.

Really SteamGAF, for a community that's so much into VNs, you aren't talking about Torment enough.
Sorry, but after Pillars of Eternity and Wasteland 2 i'll buy Torment only after final content patch and with huge discount. Steam user reviews in my region are not looking good either, and there is a lot die-hard CRPG fans in ex-USSR countries. Also, i still need to download and finally start playing Age of Decadence.

I never even played the first one

Damn, I'm having pure Jaw synergy here.

Both of these are me. I have Planescape on GOG, I think, but I haven't had the 60 hours to put into it. For some reason, when it came out, it was one of the cRPGs I never got a chance to play. Played multiple Baldur's Gate characters, though.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
that gay feline chinese vn is still not translated nor finished

goddamnit why are furry games never finished

Jawmuncher

Damn, I'm having pure Jaw synergy here.

Both of these are me. I have Planescape on GOG, I think, but I haven't had the 60 hours to put into it. For some reason, when it came out, it was one of the cRPGs I never got a chance to play. Played multiple Baldur's Gate characters, though.

You better watch out. Too much synergy and you'll catch my " bad taste"

Well, what are you waiting for? It's the best game of all time.
I want to get around to it at some point. My first CRPG I beat was actually pillars. I have the collection that has Torment and all the other older BG games and I've Dale.

Rizzi

Reading that apparently Atelier Firis is open world? That's different. Is the game good? One of my complaints about Sophie is that the areas are so small and lifeless.

zkylon

zkylewd
Haven't played the original, haven't played Wasteland 2, and kinda put off by Fargo's willingness to do interviews with GGers.
i feel like i had something to do with this haha

forget about fargo tho, he doesn't make this games, just runs the company

Really SteamGAF, for a community that's so much into VNs, you aren't talking about Torment enough.
i haven't heard anything mindblowing about it, and i like the original a lot but this weird sci fi but not really setting does nothing for me

Tizoc

Yo Jase, something about Styx 2 being sold on other stores got me wondering: It seems the keys sold on these sites don't list in their description that they offer pre-order bonuses. I am still sticking to my order from an online store but is it possible for these keys to give the pre-order bonuses once redeemed? Then again I think the DLC will be offered at a later time anyways so worries :X

Tizoc

From the creators of Teslagard
http://store.steampowered.com/app/530020/

Set in the Teslagrad universe, coming May 5th on PS4/X1/PC digitally and physically:
H2x1_WiiUDS_WorldToTheWest.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwMCoZSjeJg

Wii-U version still coming but digital only.

More on the game:

Discover a world of corrupt colonies and forgotten civilizations. Play as four characters—Lumina the Teslamancer, Knaus the orphan, Miss Teri the mind bender and the gloriously mustachioed strongman, Lord Clonington—as you explore untamed jungles, frozen tundras and the mysteries of an ancient prophecy.

Be careful though. Nothing is ever what it seems. Will you join us in this journey to the West?

- Play as four heroes, each hailing from individual nations and possessing unique identities and abilities.
- Explore a vibrant world filled with characters who have their own helpful and not-so-helpful agendas.
- Experience seamless transitions between combat and puzzle solving that keep you on your toes.
- Face your enemies head-on with brute force, convince them to see things your way or avoid them altogether. It's your call!
- Uncover secrets, more secrets and secrets inside secrets. Exploration is key to unveiling World to the West's mysteries.
- Set in the Teslagrad universe, encounter both new and familiar faces.

Durante

i haven't heard anything mindblowing about it, and i like the original a lot but this weird sci fi but not really setting does nothing for me
As far as I'm concerned the setting is great. Easily the best thing about the game, and one of the most intriguing I've seen in any game in years.

zkylon

zkylewd
As far as I'm concerned the setting is great. Easily the best thing about the game, and one of the most intriguing I've seen in any game in years.
i'm generally up for unique settings and stuff but this one just didn't really capture my imagination from the videos and things i've read, not in the way the original planescape or even something like the witcher or mass effect or pillars or fallout or whatever

i'll probably play it eventually, does it seem like a game that'll get a billion patches like wasteland 2? cos if it is i should probably just wait until they're done patching it

i loved divinity and pillars but it did leave a sour taste in my mouth that both games got huge updates just the moment i finished playing them

Pixieking

Banned

Shilling a friend's review here. Now, you might say it certainly doesn't sound mindblowing, but I will say that the guy gets easily bored with predictable stories and games, and is really into RPGs (has been for years). :)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yo Jase, something about Styx 2 being sold on other stores got me wondering: It seems the keys sold on these sites don't list in their description that they offer pre-order bonuses. I am still sticking to my order from an online store but is it possible for these keys to give the pre-order bonuses once redeemed? Then again I think the DLC will be offered at a later time anyways so worries :X

Gamesplanet, Humble and Nuuvem all mention the pre-order bonus, so I'd say if it's not listed, then odds are you're just pre-ordering a post-release key.

Durante

i'm generally up for unique settings and stuff but this one just didn't really capture my imagination from the videos and things i've read, not in the way the original planescape or even something like the witcher or mass effect or pillars or fallout or whatever

i'll probably play it eventually, does it seem like a game that'll get a billion patches like wasteland 2? cos if it is i should probably just wait until they're done patching it

i loved divinity and pillars but it did leave a sour taste in my mouth that both games got huge updates just the moment i finished playing them

FWIW, I played it for almost 30 hours so far and only had 1 crash and 1 minor bug I encountered. A few UI things could be improved, but the vast majority of the game is dialogues and that works pretty well ;)

Why is Hotline Miami 2 so much less fun than the first one?

I don't think I ever actually rage quit while playing the first one but I've done it twice so far with the 2nd. There was a point early on where I was thinking 'If this was a random no-name bundle fodder game, I'd have retired it by now.'

I'd tentatively chalk it up to the emphasis on gunplay and how often you get shot dead from the extreme edge of vision as opposed to the first ones emphasis on melee and thrown weapons. I switched the look key to spacebar because I was holding it down so much as shift my pinky finger was getting tired. I'd also say the levels being bigger, longer, and having more floors makes them inherently more frustrating to get through--in the first one you'd often get killed by the last enemy on a stage and have to do it over again and again, but it didn't feel nearly as frustrating a waste of time as it does here because the better you got the faster you could do a floor. You could risk your life for clearing a room quickly and not be too put out if it didn't work the first few times, and it'd be satisfying when it did.

In HM2 it just generally feels like you have a lot less variety of options in how you'll tackle a floor, and because guns are so immediately deadly you spend a lot of time kiting enemies into doorways. In the same vein, I can't say I'm fond of so many levels picking your character for you and having weapons you can't drop. The level design doesn't really feel like it keeps pace with that design decision. Oh, and then there's the ambiguity about what counts as a wall, a table you can shoot over, and stuff that's just a starkly different colored floor for some reason.

Always weird to play a sequel that feels like it could have been the first in the series and the actual first game was the refined successor.
Pre-fire every corner or you die. It's a shame that even the developers have forgotten how well melee weapons flow in the first game.

Victory Road looks interesting and makes me wish there was a Hajime no Ippo game. Heck VR doesn't even have a karaoke mini-game according to its trailer.

Mivey

"Sci-fi not but really"? Yeah, right, if they don't have energy weapons and talk in weird jargon then it's not proper Science Fiction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom