• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron D.

Elaborate more please? I wanna try justifying dropping $4 just to get Gray Matter Steam key :p

Here's what I wrote about it in the last Steam thread a month or so ago.

So I put an hour or so into Rescue - Everyday Heroes and it...kind of kicks ass?

I'm pretty surprised to be honest. I thought it looked novel but I wasn't expecting much. Yet I've discovered a Fire/EMS game that plays like The Sims with light management/rpg elements.

Presentation is on the upper scale for the genre. Graphics look great, as do the animations. I smiled when I held the held down the mouse wheel and the camera rotated around just like The Sims (I thought the game had a locked-isometric view for some reason). Menu/UI/tutorial cards are smart too.

Game systems are pretty detailed. You hire staff and buy equipment for your firehouse. Employees have skill traits, both technical and personality. You buy/upgrade fire trucks, ambulances, hoses, etc. as well as aesthetic stuff like mess hall, weight room, rec room, etc. You rotate/place the objects like in The Sims and everything you invest in and order your employees to focus on directly affects their skill level and moral.

Outside of Management mode you're off to Dispatch once you get a mission where you put together the vehicle/staff combo you want to take out to the emergency site. Once you launch the mission you take full control of the vehicles & staff. Firing up the sirens and selecting a parking location (hopefully next to a hydrant!). You're not just clicking on the fire to put it out...you have to connect various hose types, navigate your guys around the map, load up stretchers and more. Left-click to select character and right-click vehicles and equipment to get option boxes. It's a lot of detail-oriented fun.

For the "U.S. Edition", I understand that they fixed the problematic A.I. pathfinding and made the Mission Timer toggle-able, defaulted to Off if that's any indication how people felt about it.

Anyway, REH isn't GOTY or anything so I don't want to oversell it, but turns out it's a lot more substantial, polished, and fun than I expected. I love being pleasantly surprised.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
If he removes the game from sub 0 and uses the free licence system instead, there'll be card drops. See: L4D2.

Valve said "no":

J. Kyle Pittman said:
Thanks for the info, JaseC. Unfortunately, the developer site doesn't give me direct access to those settings. I did ask my Steam contact whether cards could be enabled, and they said they don't allow cards for free games because it would facilitate farming and could disrupt the marketplace. So, I think cards are definitely a no-go at this point.

Knurek

Valve said "no":
I did ask my Steam contact whether cards could be enabled, and they said they don't allow cards for free games because it would facilitate farming and could disrupt the marketplace.

Ha, that's hilarious. Everyone's farming either way, either with SAM or with app_id trick.

JaseC

That's a shame, but their reasoning is valid.

It's a pity -- and, well, stupid -- that store-bought DLC doesn't award card drops for free games. There are plenty of $5 games with cards so, say, releasing the OST for $5 would be a good way to get around the rule.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Ha, that's hilarious. Everyone's farming either way, either with SAM or with app_id trick.

True, but the value of a game's trading cards hardly ever exceeds the cost of the game itself, and if it did at some point, it wouldn't for long because people would open an alt account, buy the game, idle the cards, and sell them.

That's what they're trying to prevent - if a free game has cards, it's only a matter of hours before the market gets absolutely overloaded with people selling them for $0.03 each after idling the cards on hundreds of alt accounts at once.

It's a pity -- and, well, stupid -- that store-bought DLC doesn't award card drops for free games. There are plenty of $5 games with cards so, say, releasing the OST for $5 would be a good way to get around the rule.

True - it seems that wouldn't be hard to accomplish on Valve's end either, since they do essentially the same thing by permanently tying a free game to your library after you purchase DLC for it.

The-Bean

How long has that "popular" tab been on the store page (next to top sellers, etc)? Is it something Enhanced Steam has added?

That doesn't always seem to be the case. Pinball Arcade is F2P, I bought a table pack as DLC on the Steam store page, and it granted me card drops afterwards.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
How long has that "popular" tab been on the store page (next to top sellers, etc)? Is it something Enhanced Steam has added?

1091.gif

New in version 6.1

That doesn't always seem to be the case. Pinball Arcade is F2P, I bought a table pack as DLC on the Steam store page, and it granted me card drops afterwards.

I believe the "rule" is still 1 card drop for every $9 spent on a free game's DLC or in-game purchase. I believe JaseC is lamenting the fact that buying one piece of DLC can't unlock a game's "regular" card drops (half of the available number of cards, rounded up).

JaseC

Ah, interesting. Can't say I'm aware of any other examples (I haven't even bought any Pinball Arcade DLC, apparently). Maybe it's something that developers can opt into.

I believe the "rule" is still 1 card drop for every $9 spent on a free game's DLC or in-game purchase. I believe JaseC is lamenting the fact that buying one piece of DLC can't unlock a game's "regular" card drops.
I wonder why that doesn't work for Free To Play then as none of those cards ever surfaced. I guess Steam doesn't interpret it as DLC for it since they're DOTA items?

Ah, interesting. Can't say I'm aware of any other examples. Maybe it's something that developers can opt into.
It was pretty wonky as well. I didn't get card drops immediately after purchasing the DLC, then they came up after a time, then some more time later more drops surfaced despite not buying anything else.

AHA-Lambda

Ah shit, Jedi Academy hangs and freezes at startup and then just closes down.

Any help??

EDIT: nvm, the Mac copy works ok at least.

jshackles

I wonder why that doesn't work for Free To Play then as none of those cards ever surfaced. I guess Steam doesn't interpret it as DLC for it since they're DOTA items?

It was pretty wonky as well. I didn't get card drops immediately after purchasing the DLC, then they came up after a time, then some more time later more drops surfaced despite not buying anything else.

Yep, even though the DLC is old on the "Free to Play" page, if you click on an individual DLC it will clearly show at the top that it's actually DLC for DOTA2. So buying it would give you DOTA2 card drops, not Free to Play card drops.

Daily NBA2K14 75% off
New humble flash Natural Selection 2 1.99€/$/£

I haven't played it in a while, but Natural Selection 2 is one hell of a game, for fans of multiplayer shooters.

It got a rap for having a community with a tendency to rage, but I never caught any of that. People were pretty quick to vote out a bad commander, and people were just as quick to step up when needed.

Kiru

Didn't notice ANY music in the game. So what would he sell ? He would need to compose something I guess.^^

Also got a card drop today from Conquest of Champions, another F2P game. Registered a starter kit key that was given away yesterday on some site, listed as DLC on steamdb.

EDIT: Now I read jshackles post. Makes sense, Conquest of Champions DLC is worth $10.

JaseC

I believe the "rule" is still 1 card drop for every $9 spent on a free game's DLC or in-game purchase. I believe JaseC is lamenting the fact that buying one piece of DLC can't unlock a game's "regular" card drops (half of the available number of cards, rounded up).

Ah, that's right, haha. Can't believe I forgot about that... especially since I loaded up XCOM yesterday to use up the drops I earned for buying Enemy Within.

Didn't notice ANY music in the game. So what would he sell ? He would need to compose something I guess.^^

It was mentioned as a possible solution in the thread so I just assumed there was music. ;)

Also got a card drop today from Conquest of Champions, another F2P game. Registered a starter kit key that was given away yesterday on some site, listed as DLC on steamdb.

Yeah, my brain fell asleep and I forgot about DLC generally awarding drops. I had two or three extra drops in XCOM thanks to buying Enemy Within.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Gomo -- MB-3DFA92C642925F31 - Taken by ShogunX
CT Special Forces: Fire for Effect -- MB-3AD83496AA006166 - Taken by rookiejet
QuestRun -- MB-BAB71E849B2F7622 - Taken by AScotAbroad
Fortix 2 -- MB-11CFAA7F621F110B - Taken by Sub Zero
Hotel Collector's Edition -- MB-AAC2E652AA1C183D - Taken by zkylon
Infinite Space III: Sea of Stars -- MB-40C138AE4BAE5D65 - Taken by HalfwayOrb
Zooloretto -- MB-6F22B51DFA975D02 - Taken by Benedict

I wonder what this game loads for 10 seconds on every screen?
Code:
[img]http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l197/MavromatisLozay/Sweezy_Gunner_2014-05-07_20-13-10_zps81c45fcc.png[/img]

JaseC

What's the app_id trick?

Basically, you just make a steam_appid.txt file in the directory containing the game's executable, fill it with nothing but the app id of another game, and then launch the executable from within the directory (this is important as launching the game through Steam itself will override the value in the text file). Here's an example I put together about six months ago:

aoe2kam3zukz.jpg

Rinse and repeat as you use up your drops.

Edit: Aw.

Are you a wizard? Or did you just screen-shot a post to make a thumbnail/image-capture of a post you're linking to.

Quote button is disabled for closed threads, so I screenshotted the old post, manually added it as a quote and a link to the original post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom