• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

vareon

As someone that liked/loved AC I&II, is this one worth playing?

Definitely, but keep in mind that I skipped Revelations and III so it just felt fresh. I also don't like the ship battles too much, but it's kinda fun I read a lot of people having fun with it.

The bloated comment is real, though. Almost felt like they throw a lot of everything for "content". Fortunately most are optional, and some are fun.

Also the most bloated, typical Ubi, cramming in all the mechanics they've used.

Collecting feathers and all that is part and parcel of the AC series at this point. As for cramming the rest of the mechanics, I don't see anything wrong with that. It's better than not changing anything at all between iterations right?

it's the worst feeling in the world, it like paralyzes you completely and just turns you into a paranoid idiot just uncontrollably jumping at everything

guess you're lucky sharks are a lot more uncommon than fucking spiders

and we have a deal : they stay in the water, I'll stay on land.

Dr Dogg

Anno 1404 is so great. I just want to give it a big hug.

I'm amazed how much there is to it. I thought it was just another city builder but it's like a hybrid between Settlers, Tropico and Patrician. Plus is looks luurvely.

and we have a deal : they stay in the water, I'll stay on land.

Don't play with the map editor then

2tDwp.jpg

Miguel81

Definitely, but keep in mind that I skipped Revelations and III so it just felt fresh. I also don't like the ship battles too much, but it's kinda fun I read a lot of people having fun with it.

The bloated comment is real, though. Almost felt like they throw a lot of everything for "content". Fortunately most are optional, and some are fun.

Yeah, I've learned to avoid most bloat this generation as it ends up making you hate games that would otherwise be fantastic.

Collecting feathers and all that is part and parcel of the AC series at this point. As for cramming the rest of the mechanics, I don't see anything wrong with that. It's better than not changing anything at all between iterations right?
"People didn't complain about this mechanic in other games, therefore we'll have it in this one. And copy & paste the collectibles several times and give them different names."

It's definitely better than not changing them at all, but do you feel the games have improved after adding that sort of stuff? AC is going downhill after Brotherhood until the recent BF, more is not better.

styl3s

I didn't realize i was supposed to message Lain till i woke up this morning and he sent over the code for the Moto and it worked like a charm. $0.00 for a brand new Moto X and i am super excited i can throw away my piece of shit pre-paid i have been using from Wal-Mart.

I know this is a bit OT because it doesn't have to do with steam but i just want to thank the guy/gal who gave it away and Lain for not being in america lol (i will PM you later and hook you up with a Steam game so you don't leave empty handed) I am a bit emotional right now so i will end this post before i go on a very long nonsensical post so thanks and i look forward to repaying the community soon with some giveaways of my own and sorry it took so long for me to get back to people on this. I had no idea till this morning.

vareon

Yeah, I've learned to avoid most bloat this generation as it ends up making you hate games that would otherwise be fantastic.

When I think of it, the problem came from marking each chest, fragments, collectibles etc as 100% completion, which might give you problem if you really like 100%ing games.. A lot of other games had chests but they don't make a checklist out of them.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Race as fast as possible, master the most difficult stunts and drive the Jet Cars like no other!
Jet Car Stunts is a different breed of racing game and a remake of the iOS game of the same name.

Master difficult stunts, set the fastest times and let your Jet Car Stunts skills shine.

Are you good enough to master all the tracks with elegance or will you get left behind?

$9.99.

I'm amazed how much there is to it. I thought it was just another city builder but it's like a hybrid between Settlers, Tropico and Patrician. Plus is looks luurvely.

The city micromanagement aspects aren't quite as involved as, say, Knights & Merchants, but I think the trading element and the fact you can expand to different islands makes up for this; if you had to babysit your citizens then expanding beyond a single area would probably prove frustrating.

Speaking of Anno, I e-mailed Ubi earlier about Anno 1701 being completely unavailable digitally and was told that my message will be sent to the relevant department, so who knows, maybe I'll get lucky twice... oh, and I of course also reminded Ubi about the incomplete King Kong and Tintin listings in the Steam registry. I even made a thread on Ubi's forums in case anybody here with a Uplay account wants to add their two cents. I see DocSeuss has dropped in. <3

BruteUA

I didn't realize i was supposed to message Lain till i woke up this morning and he sent over the code for the Moto and it worked like a charm. $0.00 for a brand new Moto X and i am super excited i can throw away my piece of shit pre-paid i have been using from Wal-Mart.

I know this is a bit OT because it doesn't have to do with steam but i just want to thank the guy/gal who gave it away and Lain for not being in america lol (i will PM you later and hook you up with a Steam game so you don't leave empty handed) I am a bit emotional right now so i will end this post before i go on a very long nonsensical post so thanks and i look forward to repaying the community soon with some giveaways of my own and sorry it took so long for me to get back to people on this. I had no idea till this morning.

I don't want to start any phone fanboy wars, but you're getting a very fine little piece of hardware. I really enjoy my X. I've been wanting to get one for my wife, too bad I wasn't around last night. Much respect for the anonymous giver, both for the awesome giveaway and for remaining anonymous.

styl3s

I don't want to start any phone fanboy wars, but you're getting a very fine little piece of hardware. I really enjoy my X. I've been wanting to get one for my wife, too bad I wasn't around last night. Much respect for the anonymous giver, both for the awesome giveaway and for remaining anonymous.
It says it's for Verizon, i assume i can do Verizon Pre-paid with it? I don't know a whole hell of a lot about phones but i didn't have to sign any contracts or anything so i assume i can.

Dr Dogg

The city micromanagement aspects aren't quite as involved as, say, Knights & Merchants, but I think the trading element and the fact you can expand to different islands makes up for this; if you had to babysit your citizens then expanding beyond a single area would probably prove frustrating.

Well the only other Anno I had played previously was 1503 and 1404 has loads more going on. I'm still going through the babies first scenarios but getting a handle on the mechanics and it seams like another great crime time vampire like Civ.

Speaking of Anno, I e-mailed Ubi earlier about Anno 1701 being completely unavailable digitally and was told that my message will be sent to the relevant department, so who knows, maybe I'll get lucky twice... oh, and I of course also reminded Ubi about the incomplete King Kong and Tintin listings in the Steam registry. I even made a thread on Ubi's forums in case anybody here with a Uplay account wants to add their two cents. I see DocSeuss has dropped in. <3

Don't have any of my password credentials on me so will bump it up when I get home. Not overly keen on King Kong (suffered through the 360 version way back when) but Tintin would be groovey as well as getting 1701 available in some form. I'm 2 for 2 with support departments at the mo so three in a row would be a nice run.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Hurray for hope!
You have a heart of gold, don't let them take it from ye.

In a series called Dark Souls about undead people cursed to eventually lose they're minds while traveling through (often beautiful) old, destroyed lands filled with monsters and traps, I really wouldn't expect this to be the main-theme. And yet, it is. I like that.
Hopefully the end is a whole lot less depressing then that of the original game. Not that I'm there yet, not by a longshot. I hope. Such a delightful game, Drangleic is an intriguing place to explore.

On a completely different note; Child Of Light is unbelievably gorgeous. And that soundtrack, fantastic stuff.

BruteUA

It says it's for Verizon, i assume i can do Verizon Pre-paid with it? I don't know a whole hell of a lot about phones but i didn't have to sign any contracts or anything so i assume i can.

I would agree with your assumption, but I'll also admit I have no idea. Try asking the cool kids over in the Moto X thread, they'll have both the answer and could probably give you a better pre-paid alternative that works with Verizon hardware.

Interesting. Slitherine just announced that Pandora: First Contact is coming to Steam. Now I don't really care about Pandora, but this does give a suggestion that Qvadriga (a very unique chariot-racing sim that plays out more like a simultaneous-move boardgame) might come in the future at some point.

styl3s

I would agree with your assumption, but I'll also admit I have no idea. Try asking the cool kids over in the Moto X thread, they'll have both the answer and could probably give you a better pre-paid alternative that works with Verizon hardware.
Will do.

To be semi-on topic i assume some people in here are or have played Child of Light, is the turn based combat really turn based or is it active? I have been in the mood for some classic turn based ass turn based RPG goodness.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I have a question. I've started using fraps to take screens of games, but it doesn't work. When I'm in DkS II and press F10, nothing happens, and no screens get added to the directory I selected. How can I fix this?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Any chance to see a Capcom or Ubisoft Humble Bundle?

Is there a chance? Sure. There's a chance of anything. I would say Ubisoft is more likely than Capcom (Capcom Japan seems to really keep Capcom USA on a tight leash and doesn't seem very conducive to enabling those kinds of experiments or whatever by their subsidiary). I wouldn't expect Ubisoft to be a Humble Weekly sale, rather a main bundle. But I don't think it's extremely likely in either case.

zkylon

zkylewd
You have a heart of gold, don't let them take it from ye.

In a series called Dark Souls about undead people cursed to eventually lose they're minds while traveling through (often beautiful) old, destroyed lands filled with monsters and traps, I really wouldn't expect this to be the main-theme. And yet, it is. I like that.
Hopefully the end is a whole lot less depressing then that of the original game. Not that I'm there yet, not by a longshot. I hope. Such a delightful game, Drangleic is an intriguing place to explore.
yes, it's one of the reasons i like the series so much

unlike most grimdark stories it's actually filled with little glimpses of hope

you can do acts of kindness, you can befriend fellow warriors and you can rely on other players to help you along

there's so much about the game that's about resolve, with the world being such a brutal unforgiving place, it just makes every small good thing all the stronger.

i really love how positive it is in spite of its dark fantasy roots.

maneil99

Speaking of sharks.... My San Jose Sharks just lost a 3-0 series lead to become one of the 4 teams in the NHL to ever choke away the lead, ugh, smh.

If Ubi did a humble bundle it would end up being like $100

BLOPS 2 is still $60 retail digitally.
Since when did black ops 2 get made by ubisoft?

Dr Dogg

I have a question. I've started using fraps to take screens of games, but it doesn't work. When I'm in DkS II and press F10, nothing happens, and no screens get added to the directory I selected. How can I fix this?

I've found Fraps to be a funny bugger and needs certain C++ repositories installed to work with some games for me. Afterburner on the other hand is flawless and works with x64bit processes. My box of tools is getting a bit cluttered at the moment though.

"People didn't complain about this mechanic in other games, therefore we'll have it in this one. And copy & paste the collectibles several times and give them different names."

I imagine people didn't complain about collectibles because some people enjoy it and most others ignore it, safe in the knowledge that is has virtually zero impact on the experience. That would leave only a few people complaining about it.

It's definitely better than not changing them at all, but do you feel the games have improved after adding that sort of stuff? AC is going downhill after Brotherhood until the recent BF, more is not better.

The games haven't 'added that sort of stuff'. It's been there from the start, including Brotherhood if you somehow consider that as the peak of the series. And yes, the games most certainly have improved since then. The setting has changed thrice which is always interesting, the writing has been uneven but Brotherhood wasn't some world class story either, there's more mission variety and there are more gameplay mechanics to play around with. They've tried new stuff every time... sometimes it worked (naval combat for example) so they kept it on and sometimes it flopped so they discarded it (tower defense).

AC4 (and the entire series for that matter) isn't immune to criticism but calling it out for completely optional collectibles that have been around forever and some actually enjoy seems a bit much.

Haunted

I nearly put mrorange on my ignore list because this is the first time I've seen the thread title and was actually thinking there was a steam sale going on.

:mad:

Grief.exe

Use Durante's downsampling tool, Gedosato, to take your screen shots.

It has a function where it takes uncompressed shots before the UI is even rendered.

I imagine people didn't complain about collectibles because some people enjoy it and most others ignore it, safe in the knowledge that is has virtually zero impact on the experience. That would leave only a few people complaining about it.

The games haven't 'added that sort of stuff'. It's been there from the start, including Brotherhood if you somehow consider that as the peak of the series. And yes, the games most certainly have improved since then. The setting has changed thrice which is always interesting, the writing has been uneven but Brotherhood wasn't some world class story either, there's more mission variety and there are more gameplay mechanics to play around with. They've tried new stuff every time... sometimes it worked (naval combat for example) so they kept it on and sometimes it flopped so they discarded it (tower defense).

AC4 (and the entire series for that matter) isn't immune to criticism but calling it out for completely optional collectibles that have been around forever and some actually enjoy seems a bit much.
I'm not sure what kind of point you're trying to make, the game really is bloated.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Don´t even dare to hope for state-of the art graphics, a proper balancing, professional voice acting or breathtaking script-writing. This here is 100% pure trash, an adventure / shooter hybrid with gazillions of bad jokes, dozens of pop culture references and a hidden, dense net of subversive, intelligent messages related to post-WWII-politics. Oh yes, you need a basic knowledge of pop culture to enjoy the game, and quite some education on politics to really love it, but who cares?

Far more important is:

We got boobies.
We got hookers.
We got Zombies.
We got Nazis.
We got even Nazi-Zombies!

You`re Peter "Pete" O`Brannon, a Private Eye. Sounds fascinating? It isn`t, trust me - unless you find it exciting to hunt down cheating husbands and lost dogs while living of cheap Chinese food in shabby motels. THAT would be what Petes job is all about - but luckily for him, he has a good customer paying his bills. It`s GlobalSecure Inc., one of the biggest insurance companies on the East Coast. More exactly, it`s Samantha "Sam" Miller who runs their investigation department on insurance fraud. She`s tough, she`s intelligent, she`s better than Pete. By far better. But due to the companies Code of Conduct and some very nasty ethic rules, she`s prevented from taking, erm, "semi-legal" steps to gain essential information and proofs. That`s where Pete steps in - for 500 bucks per day + expenses + a nice 20% share of the money the company saves with whatever Pete finds out.

Into the Dark is a playable B-Movie, a trash experience composed out of 60% humor, 30% horror and 10% technical flaws. Enjoy!

$9.99. The honesty is refreshing. :p

Well the only other Anno I had played previously was 1503 and 1404 has loads more going on. I'm still going through the babies first scenarios but getting a handle on the mechanics and it seams like another great crime time vampire like Civ.

I haven't played any other Anno games, come to think of it. I wanted to play 2070 while waiting for 1404, but I figured I'd play them in historical order, so to that end, if 1701 comes back to Steam, I'll play it after 1404.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom