• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avinexus

Dragonfall is brilliant. The base campaign, No Man's Switch, is a nice run through some Shadowrun fanservice and not much else.

Don't get it without Dragonfall.

I see, thanks. Think I'll wait for them to be bundled together or something then, summer sale maybe.

Dr Dogg

I'm pretty sure they're not going to add them as they only did the PS4 trophies because Sony has a mandate that all games require trophy lists. And when they made the trophies, they just kind of phoned it in apparently and some of them were kind of made to be grindy or irritating on purpose since they didn't want to add them.

Regardless of whether the achievements would be fun to get or go for, the fact that they released a version of the game with more content and haven't ported that content to the PC version yet really irks me. I don't care if the achievements suck and I won't ever focus on 100% and I don't care if it's not "part of their vision" for the project. When they "sold out" in a sense and put it on PS4 to make more money and reach a bigger audience they compromised that "vision" they spoke of... so now for me it's all about parity (and the fact that I don't want to play the game and have the achievements show up after I've finished with the game forcing me to replay or use SAM).

Hahaha don't you dare joke about SAM after all the drama in this thread already. I get the feeling with both Sony and Microsoft having their own bizarre exclusive independent initiatives there might be a few odd cases in up coming releases in terms of content anyway.

I didn't hesitate but I am on the fence with MK complete.

Also FF8 I should just wait for summer sale right?

I think this is about the lowest Mortal Kombat Komplete has been (well compared to directly on Steam at least). Final Fantasy VIII has been cheaper on GMG with codes but Square do like their discounts so unless you really want it now will more than likely be the same or cheaper during the Summer Sales (well I hope so as I'm tempted to pick it up then as well).

zkylon

zkylewd
What was the general consensus on Shadowrun Returns? I've been eyeing it for awhile, anyone here have it?
i only played original campaign but writing was really good and combat was entertaining, tho not amazingly so. it's a pretty linear story but you got a bunch of cool choices (tho not that much consequence), and a bit of side stuff too

i really hate the ui on that game and how touchpad-y it is and that turned me off completely when i wanted to try the expansion

i say it's probably worth it if you can ignore the interface woes. i know i hated it when i played it for the first time but i guess i got used to it, so maybe you can do so too

Hahaha don't you dare joke about SAM after all the drama in this thread already. I get the feeling with both Sony and Microsoft having their own bizarre exclusive independent initiatives there might be a few odd cases in up coming releases in terms of content anyway.

I think this is about the lowest Mortal Kombat Komplete has been (well compared to directly on Steam at least). Final Fantasy VIII has been cheaper on GMG with codes but Square do like their discounts so unless you really want it now will more than likely be the same or cheaper during the Summer Sales (well I hope so as I'm tempted to pick it up then as well).

The SAM drama was using it to cheat Playfire though. I wouldn't do that. However, I have used it to fix things that were bugged or that I earned on other versions of a game that I didn't feel like replaying after I made the move to PC as my main platform.

Don't despair, entrants in Full Bore giveaways are getting fewer and fewer every passing minute, so I'd say that in the next couple of months top we'll both be able to finally snag it! :D

I just missed 2 giveaways for it. Dammit. >_<

HEY. Thank you, missed all the bundles with this one.

http://indiegamebundle.wikia.com/wiki/Millennium_-_A_New_Hope

(or is there a new one?)

I posted above, but it was in IndieGala January bundle and they finally added keys today.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I don't understand what's so hysterical about a $50 pricetag?

its like 1 year old?

edit: i guess not for PC. point still stands tho, fuck off with 50 bucks/euros for a 1 year old port of a niche series

Divius

Don't Starve multiplayer sounds interesting. Hopefully teaming up will make me enjoy the game, because that hasn't happened so far. I think having someone to run around/work together with will improve the game for me personally although it will take away from the desperation and loneliness that define the game.

ShogunX

Anybody Interested in Xenonauts? Got a copy of the game here but not sure whether I will like it or not. Never really played an X-COM type game.

If anybody wants to trade something for it just send me a pm.

In other news Tiny Barbarian is excellent, simple game but very fun and the soundtrack is amazing.

Don't Starve multiplayer sounds interesting. Hopefully teaming up will make me enjoy the game, because that hasn't happened so far. I think having someone to run around/work together with will improve the game for me personally although it will take away from the desperation and loneliness that define the game.

I get too stressed playing the game, ruins my enjoyment of it because I'm constantly worried about running out of stuff or breaking my tools.

Well I bought Freespace for $2.50 and...it doesn't work as it should. The Windows task bar flickers on the bottom, and if you click in that area (like selecting the Accept or Commit buttons in the bottom-right), it minimizes the game. You can't maximize it again (though you can hear the music), and Task Manager says it's Not Responding. Great, can't do anything with it. Also, the opening cutscene uses the European name "Conflict: Freespace"

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
its like 1 year old?

edit: i guess not for PC. point still stands tho, fuck off with 50 bucks/euros for a 1 year old port of a niche series

The version they're selling isn't a year old. The Xtreme Legends complete edition only came out last month on PS4 and Vita with Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends for PS3 coming out at the same time.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
The version they're selling isn't a year old. The Xtreme Legends complete edition only came out last month on PS4 and Vita with Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends for PS3 coming out at the same time.

50 euros for a dynasty warriors game is ridiculous, there. Can I please have my opinion on stuff :)

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
50 euros for a dynasty warriors game is ridiculous, there. Can I please have my opinion on stuff :)

I'm not saying your opinion is wrong, just the nugget about it being a year old :p They probably don't want to undercut the console releases which are going for the same price, very silly.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Holy fuck, the lightsaber combat in Jedi Outcast is awesome. I forgot how much fun this game was once you got your lightsaber, your force powers and it starts to regularly throw Dark Jedi opponents at you. Mechanically the melee combat in JO just dumps all over The Force Unleashed and it's so much more refined than Jedi Knight. Jedi Knight was an awesome idea, Jedi Outcast is awesome execution of that idea. In Jedi Knight you only got the duels in like 4 or 5 boss fights, I think I've already had more lightsaber fights in Bespin than I did in all of Jedi Knight.

The locomotion in Jedi Outcast is pretty sweet too, wall running, massive jumps, flipping over and around opponents. It's so damned good.
Yes it is, yes it is! Jedi Outcast feels good, and you can make Kyle do exactly what you want. Controls are perfect.

And I agree about the saber being much better than in TFU. The latter feels like an arcade brawler, while the former has a more "realistic" combat style, with different attack stances, combos and techniques. Not to mention running along walls, which I'll never get tired of.

Regarding lightsaber duels, they went from levels with a single boss battle in JK1 to a lot of encounters during the normal levels in JK2. I used to hate that in the latter because I couldn't beat a particular guy during my first playthrough, and I don't remember if I ended up running away or killing him with my guns. But then I learned how to fight better and I could stand my ground (although I'm still no pro). It's funny how bad I was during that first playthrough; so much that I even missed
getting into the AT-ST in one of the latter missions, so I did it all on foot. It was hard as hell, and to this day I still can't understand how did I manage to beat it that way nor why didn't I realize I could enter the thing.

Kaleinc

Banned
I could probably go to Gamestop and spend $50 and pick up 10 other Dynasty Warriors games that play relatively similar to this one.
The most amusing thing is I probably wouldn't tell Warriors game apart. They look and play almost the same, even HUD is very similar from one iteration to another. How do they even sell it?

Reckoner

Is there a deal for UT3 steam key somewhere? Want to buy three copies for me and some friends. UT announcement getting us hyped.

Sad how steam ruins people's perception of reasonable pricing.

Although of course I'm not talking about euro/pound pricing which is always silly :p

Hey I've got a question for you guys. A buddy of mine is having that stopped/flickering download issue, he's downloading something but it's stuck at 1%. I already got him to try changing his download region, but it didn't work (yeah he restarted steam, paused the download, etc). Any suggestions for fixing it?

Dr Dogg

Only crazy people pay more than $5 for a AAA title.

I don't think there's anything too crazy about buying a game you want to play day and date release at full price. Well just as long as you play it and not let it sit in your backlog for 6 months, especially Square Enix titles.

3 out of the last 4 games I bought full price I've cleared my plate to play them.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Sad how steam ruins people's perception of reasonable pricing.

Although of course I'm not talking about euro/pound pricing which is always silly :p

It's not Steam which is doing that, it's the surfeit of games that exist. Right now, on Steam, you can choose between what I think I'm fair in saying are probably 300-500 excellent, best-of-breed, amazing, life-changing experiences. That's more games than the average person plays to completion in their life and easily 5-10 years for even the hardcore, plays-80-hours-a-week gamer to play. There are 66 games with 90+ metascores. That's without deep-diving any genre or looking into flawed gems or whatever.

If you assume that the average gamer is only buying 10 or 15 games a year at most, then they're going to be choosy. Some of these people are going to be drawn towards new releases... but if someone releases a great 2D puzzle platformer, and you haven't played Braid or Limbo or other titles that are sort of the 800 pound gorillas in the genre, chances are you're going to go to those first. Legitimately I believe that if you resolved only to play Steam games with a Metacritic of 80 or higher for the rest of your life and never touch any other games ever regardless of how much you want to, you'd still have something to play for the rest of your life. This is something that applies to easily 99% of people buying games.

What this means is that it's a buyer's market. There's more stuff for you to try out than time or money to try it all. In cases like this, the average price goes down. It goes down because companies need something to differentiate their product, and because lowering price decreases risk adversity on the part of the customer.

It also allows them to engage in price stratification, which means the people who are dumb enough to pay $100 pay $100, the people who want to pay $40 pay $40, and the skeptics who will try the game for $2 but really don't want to take a risk at all pay $2. This is a revenue maximization technique. The idea is also that when you want to sequelize your game property or build a brand, you also don't mind making less per-copy because some of the people who get your game at $1 will move to being people who get your next game at $10.

So you can look at low prices on Steam as either a symptom of too many games being produced (which it is) or a revenue maximization technique (which it also is), but either way, it's the natural result of the competition that exists, rather than a calculated policy on the part of the platform owner.

To make this a little more concrete. I'm playing The Bureau, which I bought for $5. If The Bureau had stayed $60 and never dropped, it's true that some people like me would have bought it at $60. But far more people like me would have never heard of the game, saw the mixed reviews, and then settled on a less risky choice. I'm also playing BeatBuddy, which I got on the Humble Bundle. I would never have bought it otherwise. It's a good game. The result would be a marketplace dominated by very few extremely polished and broadly appealing games. My average game spend on Steam is around $1.50 a game since 2008. If you made me spend $15 a game, 1/10th the developers would benefit 10 times as much, and 9/10ths of the developers would be left out in the cold.

Turfster

50 Euros is an equivalent of $60, and for what you're paying you're getting a lot of content.

Actually, 70$
We're paying 40% more for the same game, and don't come with that bullshit about the standard of living and wages being higher over here.

Tizoc

Actually, 70$
We're paying 40% more for the same game, and don't come with that bullshit about the standard of living and wages being higher over here.

IMO, any game released should match it's US counterpart, regardless of wages or living expenses, or if a country's welfare is higher than the other.

I still think it's BS that Australia, for example still as high prices for games when they could just as easily be similar or match the US price.

Dr Dogg

How much is DW8 in €'s?

Considering pricing is all on publishers some have very different ways in treating different markets so how they internally set prices could be due to various different factors but end of the day higher taxes in various European countries plays a massive part into higher prices for us.

Not that I'm here sticking up for unequal pricing. Everyone has a price they are willing to pay for an item and it has to be something I'm really interested in to pay full price on Steam as the completion has better deals the majority of the time.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
It looks like Valve changed the default visible list to the Top Sellers list when you first enter the store webpage.

Well, that's certainly interesting.

It's not Steam which is doing that, it's the surfeit of games that exist. Right now, on Steam, you can choose between what I think I'm fair in saying are probably 300-500 excellent, best-of-breed, amazing, life-changing experiences. That's more games than the average person plays to completion in their life and easily 5-10 years for even the hardcore, plays-80-hours-a-week gamer to play. There are 66 games with 90+ metascores. That's without deep-diving any genre or looking into flawed gems or whatever.

If you assume that the average gamer is only buying 10 or 15 games a year at most, then they're going to be choosy. Some of these people are going to be drawn towards new releases... but if someone releases a great 2D puzzle platformer, and you haven't played Braid or Limbo or other titles that are sort of the 800 pound gorillas in the genre, chances are you're going to go to those first. Legitimately I believe that if you resolved only to play Steam games with a Metacritic of 80 or higher for the rest of your life and never touch any other games ever regardless of how much you want to, you'd still have something to play for the rest of your life. This is something that applies to easily 99% of people buying games.

What this means is that it's a buyer's market. There's more stuff for you to try out than time or money to try it all. In cases like this, the average price goes down. It goes down because companies need something to differentiate their product, and because lowering price decreases risk adversity on the part of the customer.

It also allows them to engage in price stratification, which means the people who are dumb enough to pay $100 pay $100, the people who want to pay $40 pay $40, and the skeptics who will try the game for $2 but really don't want to take a risk at all pay $2. This is a revenue maximization technique. The idea is also that when you want to sequelize your game property or build a brand, you also don't mind making less per-copy because some of the people who get your game at $1 will move to being people who get your next game at $10.

So you can look at low prices on Steam as either a symptom of too many games being produced (which it is) or a revenue maximization technique (which it also is), but either way, it's the natural result of the competition that exists, rather than a calculated policy on the part of the platform owner.

To make this a little more concrete. I'm playing The Bureau, which I bought for $5. If The Bureau had stayed $60 and never dropped, it's true that some people like me would have bought it at $60. But far more people like me would have never heard of the game, saw the mixed reviews, and then settled on a less risky choice. I'm also playing BeatBuddy, which I got on the Humble Bundle. I would never have bought it otherwise. It's a good game. The result would be a marketplace dominated by very few extremely polished and broadly appealing games. My average game spend on Steam is around $1.50 a game since 2008. If you made me spend $15 a game, 1/10th the developers would benefit 10 times as much, and 9/10ths of the developers would be left out in the cold.

That's a bit harsh, don't you think? Some people might want to help a developer out in Early Access or get some extra stuff not available to people who pay a lower tier.

Nzyme32

It looks like Valve changed the default visible list to the Top Sellers list when you first enter the store webpage.

Is anyone else seeing two seperate sections kind of merged together, to show 20 games but with no indication of what the lower 10 represent? I'm assuming it's a bug since the animations when clicking 10 more on the bottom set moves the screen to the opposite 10 above that haven't changed? (i'm sure this sentence makes no sense other than to me)

NotSelf

Humble bundle links enjoy limbo is my favorite.

tumblr_m74moaNxDw1qm9aybo1_500.gif

ModBot said:
Instructions for NotSelf:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Cthulhu Saves the World -- MB-A99078A2712FC1C7 - Taken by Divius. 1 entrants total.
Thomas Was Alone -- MB-2F005B996AB01BCA - Taken by Reckoner. 1 entrants total.
Reus -- MB-C09F2A288C09D6CD - Taken by Purkake4. 2 entrants total.
LIMBO -- MB-C6DD5A6E5995D881 - Taken by Dr.Acula. 1 entrants total.

t1399497534z1.png

Thanks Dr Dogg I think I'm just going to wait.

The Crusader Kings II Collection is the new flash sale on the Humble Store.

That is... that is a *profound* amount of content for $12. It's definitely diving in the deep end compared to Civ, but if you ever wanted to try out a "grand strategy" game, this is the one to dive into. Well, this or Europa Universalis IV. CK2's scale is a bit more manageable, EUIV has a mariginally better tutorial.

What's fun about CK2 is it's not really about "winning" the game or achieving global dominance; the act of playing the game from turn to turn ends up creating a very interesting story, and you get invested in your leader and whatnot, far more than the empire itself.

(Plus, if you ever wanted to basically "play" Game of Thrones, the GoT mod for CK2 is about 1000X better than any official GoT game.)

Terra_Ex

Is anyone else seeing two seperate sections kind of merged together, to show 20 games but with no indication of what the lower 10 represent? I'm assuming it's a bug since the animations when clicking 10 more on the bottom set moves the screen to the opposite 10 above that haven't changed? (i'm sure this sentence makes no sense other than to me)
Yes and the lower 10 appears to be new releases, It looks pretty messy atm.

This is all pretty accurate.

You can see the same trends in the market for console games as well.
I stopped buying games at $60 at release unless (1) it was something I was absolutely dying to play or (2) Amazon or someone would offer a $20 pre-order credit with it. Coupled with Gamefly clearing out their inventory of pristine like new games for $15 and under regularly, there's absolutely no reason to pay the MSRP for most games. Hell, back in December of 2007, Modern Warfare was consistently going on sale for under $40... that's part of the reason I received an x360 for Christmas.

When you factor in other platforms such as iOS and android, it gets even worse. Games are routinely $1-$2. And for good reason -- most consumers do not want to pay top dollar prices for unknown quality, and for digital copies of those things either. There's no resale when you're done with it, there's no collecting aspect where you can line your cases up on a shelf... so in order to get people to accept and buy in, you have to lower the cost of entry to attract buyers.

Kiru

Boop!
Found Sammy and Lara a.k.a. Princess Boopypoo and the Countess von Flufflebutts a.k.a. I put my cats in a video game because I am five years old.

I love this achievement description.
:3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom