• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

How about the general cost of living and the minimum wage? :p
It's apples and oranges, man. It's not a vacuum where only the exchange rate changes and everything else is equal.
If we do that kind of math, an adult over the age of 21 in NY making minimum wage takes home $7,176 less per year than an adult living in the UK.

I'm afraid I have really bad news to you, I'm not even sure I should tell you this, it can break your world perception forever, but big part of Europe is happy if they take home (when they have one) $7,176 per year and many don't.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Speaking of Of Orcs and Men, I've always wanted to try that, but the price hasn't dropped into "okay, I'll do it" territory yet. because apparently the stealth is horrible, so...
I'm interested to see what Cyanide will do with Styx: Master of Shadows (the prequel), which looks like a much more stealth focused game.

If Orcs and Men was focused on using just 1 of the character I would have enjoyed it. as it stands, I thought the gameplay didnt work at all trying to juggle both characters at the same time.

Their other game tho (actually they have more games, but the other I played), Mars War Log was surprisingly ok...good even. Just very short, I think im like 4-5 hours in and I checked a faq and im almost at the end

I'm afraid I have really bad news to you, I'm not even sure I should tell you this, it can break your world perception forever, but big part of Europe is happy if they take home (when they have one) $7,176 per year and many don't.

badnewsbarrett-png.2170

Tizoc

Yo so Darksiders 2 starts fine at 60 FPS, but I reach the Forgelands and suddenly it dips to 30 FPS and stutters, what's up wth tat?

not this again... 50€ is not $60, it's bloody more than $70!
Can someone please point me to the bank that will give me 50€ for $60? I'll be rich in no time and shower you with awesome giveaways! I promise.

edited: I forgot to refresh, it was pointed out long time ago
lol, sorry about that

No worries, mind you I was calculating off the top of my head, and it is possible I am unaware of how much 1 Euro costs in dollars atm ^^;

Aerocrane

When you buy a crummy game from, say, Best Buy, do you blame the manufacturer for making a lousy game, or Best Buy for carrying it?

I'm not sure why people keep expecting Valve to behave like a console platform holder in the PC space.

The thing is, Steam used to be wholly curated by Valve and while it seemed at times to be just a matter of luck if you got your game listed, at least there was some semblance of quality control in what products made it. I'm not expecting Valve to create an certification process like the consoles, but I feel that they should have a more visible quality control process so outright copyright infringement like Air Control doesn't get on to the store. At least the ratio of terrible stuff like WarZ and Earth: Year 2066 is like one to a thousand, so it really doesn't matter at this point. WarZ might be an alright game at the core, but I consider it bad for the outright lies featured on the original Steam page for the game. I'm alright with Early Access and that we might not get all features promised in a game, because that's a risk we take by supporting those products, but I don't want stuff like Towns becoming more common. Maybe I'm worried about nothing, I'm too tired to make sense of my own arguments anymore anyway.

Knurek

True that - I made roughly $12,000.00 last year, almost half of which was taken by social security/obligatory medical insurance. Still need to pay 40% (or more) for games than you, US guys.

mannerbot

Hm, anyone know how to fix frozen Steam downloads? I actually had this same issue the other day and managed to get it working but no luck so far today. The downloads are basically at 99% but keep going endlessly. My solution last time this happened was to install something else, which managed to finish without issue, and then the downloads that were stuck went to completion as well afterwards. But yeah, already tried that and multiple client restarts with no luck.

Ruruja

Hm, anyone know how to fix frozen Steam downloads? I actually had this same issue the other day and managed to get it working but no luck so far today. The downloads are basically at 99% but keep going endlessly. My solution last time this happened was to install something else, which managed to finish without issue, and then the downloads that were stuck went to completion as well afterwards. But yeah, already tried that and multiple client restarts with no luck.

Change download server.

Kifimbo

Wow, Darksiders II final boss was a joke. Way too easy. And the ending sequence was so disappointing compared to the first game. The whole thing felt rush (and it probably was, considering THQ was weeks from bankruptcy).

Wow, Darksiders II final boss was a joke. Way too easy. And the ending sequence was so disappointing compared to the first game. The whole thing felt rush (and it probably was, considering THQ was weeks from bankruptcy).

I was pretty excited for that game since I was a huge fan of the first one, but I just couldn't get through it. It sucks because a good friend of mine worked on it, so I wanted to check out what he had been working so hard on for a long time. He told me lots of horror stories during the development of that game that led to what it is.

Kifimbo

I was pretty excited for that game since I was a huge fan of the first one, but I just couldn't get through it. It sucks because a good friend of mine worked on it, so I wanted to check out what he had been working so hard on for a long time. He told me lots of horror stories during the development of that game that led to what it is.

Well, I thought the first 6-8 hours were pretty average. After, I really liked the
Kingdom of the Dead
. Then I hated the third person shooter section
on Earth

Sajjaja

Just coming off of Darksiders 1, DS2 is pretty great in my opinion. It improved in every way. I'm only 9 hours in but it doesn't feel like a drag.

Copons

Regarding 1849 key from IGS, I redeemed it but I realized the game isn't on Steam yet. IIRC devs said it was going to be up on the 8th (now for EU, so probably later for US, assuming it's an US dev). Do I recall correct?

DocSeuss

Just coming off of Darksiders 1, DS2 is pretty great in my opinion. It improved in every way. I'm only 9 hours in but it doesn't feel like a drag.

The only part of it that feels like a drag to me are the "find all the X" quests, which I'm completing for Playfire in what little spare time I have. A couple levels, like the Ivory Tower, aren't really fun to navigate.

Regarding 1849 key from IGS, I redeemed it but I realized the game isn't on Steam yet. IIRC devs said it was going to be up on the 8th (now for EU, so probably later for US, assuming it's an US dev). Do I recall correct?

I have got my 1849 Key, though yeah, wouldn't be surprised if it's the 8th, not sure. Haven't got my Subject 9 key, though.

Well, I thought the first 6-8 hours were pretty average. After, I really liked the
Kingdom of the Dead
. Then I hated the third person shooter section
on Earth

It's been a while since I played it (I played it on Xbox), but I think I stopped right after the
Kingdom of the Dead
. Maybe if I can transfer my Xbox save to my PC I can finish it on Steam.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
http://steamcommunity.com/app/250580/discussions/0/540740501494884103/
Paranautical Activity, a game that had trouble getting onto steam way back when is ceasing development in a month or two and the coop patch is getting cancelled.
I think the last update for the game was like 4 or 6 months ago, I'm not sure, but oh well.
Holy shit, that guy sounds extremely bitter, for some unknown reason. From what he said I can assume some people had been bothering him, but still...

"there is another world out there... I am sorry that some of you dont see it, or are too damn afraid to actually interact with humans, not keyboards"
"It is very apparent that some of you are plainly afraid of yourself, and feel the need to be telephone tough guys, or have boisterous opinions that in my world, would get you smacked aside the head"

Dude doesn't sound like a very likable person. This isn't even funny, like Phil Fish comments were (in my opinion, of course).

DocSeuss

Holy shit, that guy sounds extremely bitter, for some unknown reason. From what he said I can assume some people had been bothering him, but still...

"there is another world out there... I am sorry that some of you dont see it, or are too damn afraid to actually interact with humans, not keyboards"
"It is very apparent that some of you are plainly afraid of yourself, and feel the need to be telephone tough guys, or have boisterous opinions that in my world, would get you smacked aside the head"

Dude doesn't sound like a very likable person. This isn't even funny, like Phil Fish comments were (in my opinion, of course).

He was always really annoyed by "when will we get our keys that you advertise when we bought bundles?" questions, for one thing. My impression was that the dude had like no concept of customer service, existed in a bubble where people had to not piss him off, then accused other people (who pissed him off for things that weren't worth getting pissed off about) of living in their own.

Pachimari

The only part of it that feels like a drag to me are the "find all the X" quests, which I'm completing for Playfire in what little spare time I have. A couple levels, like the Ivory Tower, aren't really fun to navigate.

I have got my 1849 Key, though yeah, wouldn't be surprised if it's the 8th, not sure. Haven't got my Subject 9 key, though.

Where do I find my 1849 Steam key?

EDIT:
Found it.

Copons

Where do I find my 1849 Steam key?

From IndieGameStand, in the top right corner of the page there should be a "game wallet" link, assuming you're logged in.

EDIT:
wow for the Paranautical Activity... :/
I remember reading lots of praises around here, and one of the editors of my site also had plenty of good stuff to say about it.

Anyway, I won't say this is an alarming thing for the Steam/Greenlight ecosystem, but still, as this doesn't seems to be a scammy situation, it's kinda unbelievable how unprofessional can people be. It's your fucking job to deliver a game (and a game you already sold)!

I added it to my Steam library but it hasn't showed up. Hopefully it shows up later.

Yup same here.
Also, it's the first time a reedem freezes my client. It happened twice for the same key (I tried a second time before realizing the game isn't up yet), while Full Bore key (yeah DerExperte you're all safe now! :p ) - or any other keys ever really - went through without any problems. And here I thought I was immune to this issue. :(

Pachimari

I added it to my Steam library but it hasn't showed up. Hopefully it shows up later.

Anyway, I'm playing Batman: Arkham Asylum. Do you guys know if there's any extra costumes in this game? Like the Batman Beyond one or others?

Anyway, I'm playing Batman: Arkham Asylum. Do you guys know if there's any extra costumes in this game? Like the Batman Beyond one or others?

Restarting Steam should make the game appear in your library.

There aren't.
IIRC, you can mod some in, but I've only seen a few and they're not very high quality.

The sequel, Arkham City, has unlockable costumes though(and Arkham Oranges)

Copons

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
He was always really annoyed by "when will we get our keys that you advertise when we bought bundles?" questions, for one thing. My impression was that the dude had like no concept of customer service, existed in a bubble where people had to not piss him off, then accused other people (who pissed him off for things that weren't worth getting pissed off about) of living in their own.
Looks like some devs need to learn when and how to shut up. Or at least hire a PR guy to deal with the customers.

I don't know if this post on the Steam forums is true, but if it is then the devs are definitely assholes.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
That's a bit harsh, don't you think? Some people might want to help a developer out in Early Access or get some extra stuff not available to people who pay a lower tier.

If someone wants to pay $10,000 to get a $10 game (or $1000, or $250, or $100, or really any price above and beyond MSRP), it's their money. But it seems to me that expecting any value above and beyond the warm glow of charity is going to lead to disappointment. Not only because the resulting product is being held to an unfair expectation of comparing the actual value the developer is putting out to the near-unlimited value the player is expecting, but also because those price tiers exist only to raise the margin of profit. The additional value being delivered is not proportionate to the extra cost, and that's the entire point. Say goes for Cat Helmet or whatever AAA example.

There are an awful lot of people I've seen on here and elsewhere who think that, say, KSing a game at a $250 tier is a safe investment because they expect to love the result 5 times more than your average full price game. I can't speculate as to whether or not other people have different expectations or the rate of payoff, but it's certainly not a position of risk adversity.

It was unfair and a little grumpy of me to describe it as "stupid" rather than "an emotional purchase". :(

Caerith

Weird. My community feed shows a Steam friend just got Chronicles of Riddick, which I own, but it isn't highlighted in green. I clicked on the name and, rather than taking me to a store page (or the Steam front page because it isn't available anymore) it took me to riddickgame.com. Have removed games always linked off-Steam or is this new?

When you buy a crummy game from, say, Best Buy, do you blame the manufacturer for making a lousy game, or Best Buy for carrying it?

I'm not sure why people keep expecting Valve to behave like a console platform holder in the PC space. Steam's a distribution service. Valve's job is to make buying and downloading games as simple and painless as possible. I don't expect them to vet games for sale unless it involves blatantly false advertising or knowingly selling a broken product, in which case I expect to see said product pulled from the storefront and refunds issued where appropriate. Beyond that, though, it's on us to spread the word about good products (and bad ones).

You're not wrong, but I would like to see Valve treat Steam as more than an afterthought. I would like to see them split Valve and Steam-- one as a "no bosses" developer with no perception of time, and the other as a business where people do their jobs every day instead of just saying "I don't want to do customer service" and rolling their desks over to the L4D3 team. There's a solution between the two extremes of "curated but not a lot is approved" and "open the floodgates to the river of garbage."

I'm not an indie dev, so I literally have no idea what I'm talking about, but everyone should really take a page out of chubigans' book or at least read his gamasutra articles:

Other games launched ahead of mine, and I took note of their release strategies. One dev refused to give Steam keys to people who got the game via a bundle which lead to a lot of backlash in the Steam forums, so I immediately offered keys on Desura, my website and Humble Store for current owners. Other devs released their game with no extra Steam support, and some Steam community members were a bit put off. They had beat me to release, but at the cost of not fully embracing the Steam platform. I had one chance to launch on Steam, and damn if I was gonna just throw my game up there without making it the best I possibly could.

MUnited83

For you.
Weird. My community feed shows a Steam friend just got Chronicles of Riddick, which I own, but it isn't highlighted in green. I clicked on the name and, rather than taking me to a store page (or the Steam front page because it isn't available anymore) it took me to riddickgame.com. Have removed games always linked off-Steam or is this new?

[/URL]:

I'm not sure how recent it is, but like 2/3 weeks ago a friend of mine got Horrid Henry (game removed from the store) and when I clicked it, it went to the Horrid Henry website.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Some games, after their removed from Steam, have their URLs changed like this, but it's rare. It's always been the case with Riddick (since it got removed) and I know of at least one other (the Trine 2 Goblin Menace DLC).

Nothing new here, it's just not very common.

Caerith

I'm not sure how recent it is, but like 2/3 weeks ago a friend of mine got Horrid Henry (game removed from the store) and when I clicked it, it went to the Horrid Henry website.

Some games, after their removed from Steam, have their URLs changed like this, but it's rare. It's always been the case with Riddick (since it got removed) and I know of at least one other (the Trine 2 Goblin Menace DLC).

Nothing new here, it's just not very common.

Ah, that clears it up. I guess I never noticed because it's not common for people to get removed games and have it show up on the feed.

kris.

Banned
so i bought GTA IV and EFLC a few weeks ago and they both run like straight garbage on my PC when they shouldn't. anyone got a good tweaking guide they know of to make them playable?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Ah, that clears it up. I guess I never noticed because it's not common for people to get removed games and have it show up on the feed.

Yeah, I believe the only way this can happen is if someone accepts a gift copy of the game and adds it to their library.

I believe it's a way built into Steam so that in the event this happens, it just falls back to the "homepage" property in the Steam database. Normally I would say this is a mechanism to prevent 404 errors, but in Steam's case it would just soft-fail to the home page. So it's kind of weird that this even happens, but I guess it's just another one of those "that's the way it's set up and we don't have any reason to change it" scenarios.

If someone wants to pay $10,000 to get a $10 game (or $1000, or $250, or $100, or really any price above and beyond MSRP), it's their money. But it seems to me that expecting any value above and beyond the warm glow of charity is going to lead to disappointment. Not only because the resulting product is being held to an unfair expectation of comparing the actual value the developer is putting out to the near-unlimited value the player is expecting, but also because those price tiers exist only to raise the margin of profit. The additional value being delivered is not proportionate to the extra cost, and that's the entire point. Say goes for Cat Helmet or whatever AAA example.

There are an awful lot of people I've seen on here and elsewhere who think that, say, KSing a game at a $250 tier is a safe investment because they expect to love the result 5 times more than your average full price game. I can't speculate as to whether or not other people have different expectations or the rate of payoff, but it's certainly not a position of risk adversity.

It was unfair and a little grumpy of me to describe it as "stupid" rather than "an emotional purchase". :(

I can't speak for others but for the games I've donated large amounts to I'm fully aware that, in the end, I'm still getting a game that will one day be on sale for five bucks as well as going into it with the same level of emotion, which is no more than typical excitement of a new game by a developer I love. Helping to expand the scope of a project is a nice feeling even if all it amounts to is a tiny bit extra. If people do indeed go into these projects with the false idea of loving the game more because they spent more then that's going to be a harsh (and expensive) lesson for them.

I like to think anyone giving a lot of money to a developer through Kickstarter or elsewhere is smart enough to understand what exactly they are doing but I suppose there are people thinking with their hearts more than their minds.

Caerith

Yeah, I believe the only way this can happen is if someone accepts a gift copy of the game and adds it to their library.

I believe it's a way built into Steam so that in the event this happens, it just falls back to the "homepage" property in the Steam database. Normally I would say this is a mechanism to prevent 404 errors, but in Steam's case it would just soft-fail to the home page. So it's kind of weird that this even happens, but I guess it's just another one of those "that's the way it's set up and we don't have any reason to change it" scenarios.

I wish they did still have store pages for removed games, or maybe semi-hidden store pages visible only to people who already own the game.

Tizoc

Ah OK reducing the Shadow quality ups the frame rate, so now it's running at smooth 60 FPS~

When do you get the first Possess weapon in Darksiders 2? Thought I'd get it halfway through Tears of the Mountain...

Levyne

Banned
Ah OK reducing the Shadow quality ups the frame rate, so now it's running at smooth 60 FPS~

When do you get the first Possess weapon in Darksiders 2? Thought I'd get it halfway through Tears of the Mountain...

I think it's random along with anything else. If not, I remember getting a possessed hammer really early on.

Tizoc

^Shoot, ah well shouldn't be long til I find one while I wait for Tesla Effect to finish dling...

Darksiders 2 is good but it's biggest issue that you'll come to find is that it feels too long for its own good. Non the less it's still a fun and entertaining game, and has a superb soundtrack.

lol wtf I bought the Sonic Collection last night and just presumed it went through because I was in a rush and i "added" my credit card to the humble site and it texted me saying it did. Turns out after that I didn't press purchase again so I didn't get it, woe is me, hopefully they do an encore steam style.

Dambrosi

Banned
Can anyone get on Playfire at the moment? All I'm getting are 500 Errors for every page except the blog, and I can't sign in and/or comment there. Has their server finally collapsed from the strain, or is it something on my end? (It's a 500 error, so that's not likely, but...)

Wow, first post of a new page. Should get me some answers.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Can anyone get on Playfire at the moment? All I'm getting are 500 Errors for every page except the blog, and I can't sign in and/or comment there. Has their server finally collapsed from the strain, or is it something on my end? (It's a 500 error, so that's not likely, but...)

I seem to be connecting to Playfire just fine.

I've checked on multiple devices and each one connected to the site.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Man, Pressurizer is great, I finally have everything properly organized! :D
steam_categorieswokrm.png

Dambrosi

Banned
I seem to be connecting to Playfire just fine.

I've checked on multiple devices and each one connected to the site.
Yeah, I can see the site when I delete the site's cookies and don't sign in. But the moment I log in to check my balance, I get Superman's friendly face staring back at me. This is on both Firefox and IE on my PC, and my mobile phone's browser too. (Edit: And Chrome too.)

Now I know that a 500 error is server-side, so I'll probably open a support ticket about it, but I'm wondering if there's anything else I can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom