• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
All of this talk about pricing made me look at my purchasing list so far this year. So far, the most expensive game I bought was $50, but that really doesn't count since I got a full refund because Amazon doesn't know how to properly package LEs apparently. Other than that, I've bought 3
3DS
games at $40, and the most expensive PC game I bought was $20 because I bought the CKII Collection and a piece of DLC a while back.

Feels good saving money to buy more games to put in the backlog.

Purkake4

Banned
Humble bundle links enjoy limbo is my favorite.

tumblr_m74moaNxDw1qm9aybo1_500.gif

Thanks Dr Dogg I think I'm just going to wait.
Thanks for Reus!

Saty

Add another one for the Steam features wishlist: search by multiple tags. That's what i imagined the Tags systems for. Instead of browsing games only be pre-made categories or by single tags, you will be able to filter games by any combination of tags, so i could look for all the titles that were tagged as FPS + Steampunk + MP + 2-weapon limit etc. etc.

I'd also hope when i use a 'search by tags' field that there will be auto-complete suggestions because the user is unable to know what tags exist or don't.

derExperte

Steam keys for 1849 are available on Indiegamestand.

Cool, thanks for the hint.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/250580/discussions/0/540740501494884103/
Paranautical Activity, a game that had trouble getting onto steam way back when is ceasing development in a month or two and the coop patch is getting cancelled.
I think the last update for the game was like 4 or 6 months ago, I'm not sure, but oh well.

Someone bring me popcorn. A lot.

Lomax

http://steamcommunity.com/app/250580/discussions/0/540740501494884103/
Paranautical Activity, a game that had trouble getting onto steam way back when is ceasing development in a month or two and the coop patch is getting cancelled.
I think the last update for the game was like 4 or 6 months ago, I'm not sure, but oh well.

I remember way back when this game was in the groupees bundle and the Devs were trolling the chatroom and making enemies. I can't exactly blame people for being aggressive against the internet masses, but it's a fight one can never win.

I almost wonder how much their development ground to a halt when they saw Tower of Guns do everything they were trying to do so much better in every possible way, and release feature complete. That and the general backlash against the "Minecraft aesthetic" that has cropped up.

Quick, someone make a thread about it so more fuel is added to the fire against Valve/Steam/Early Access!
LOL

Early Access works just fine. Games like Mercenary Kings, Betrayer, Sir You Are Being Hunted are proof of that

Early Access isn't the problem. Lazy developers who give up on their game, who abandon their game and their fanbase, are the problem

Dr Dogg

Kifimbo

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Fortix 2 -- MB-3DE4A7C272DEF560 - Taken by zeroOman

Another one tonight.

Aerocrane

LOL

Early Access works just fine. Games like Mercenary Kings, Betrayer, Sir You Are Being Hunted are proof of that

Early Access isn't the problem. Lazy developers who give up on their game, who abandon their game and their fanbase, are the problem

The problem is that since the introduction of Steam Greenlight, quality control on Steam has become pretty much nonexistent. Combining this worrying development with the Early Access program has resulted in some cases of lazy developers like that Earth: Year 2066 game which was removed from sale on Steam. The fact that pieces of crap like that can get on Steam doesn't exactly instill confidence in Valve for me.

Just got MK9 from the humble store and I was wondering if anyone knows the name of or can help me find the mod to patch in higher res videos for the game?

catabarez

Anyone want to help me with the gift achievement in Darksiders 2? I think the list only shows my most recent friends.

Edit: Oh and which color are the epic items?

Grief.exe

It looks like Valve changed the default visible list to the Top Sellers list when you first enter the store webpage.

New releases tab is rendered useless due to the constant stream of garbage on the store.

So they change the default to the Top Seller tab? Seems like a complete band-aid solution to a massive problem.

Lomax

I'm honestly a little annoyed seeing Bound by Flame so high in the top sellers list. Not that I begrudge them the success, but Spiders/Focus Home tried to make some more unique RPGs with Mars: War Logs and Of Orcs and Men, and neither ever got that high on the sales list (until daily deals at least). But here we get yet another dark fantasy "epic" complete with every trope imaginable and suddenly everyone eats it up? This is why we can't have nice new things.

catabarez

New releases tab is rendered useless due to the constant stream of garbage on the store.

So they change the default to the Top Seller tab? Seems like a complete band-aid solution to a massive problem.

They need just added and new releases as separate lists.

Deadbeat

Banned
I'm honestly a little annoyed seeing Bound by Flame so high in the top sellers list. Not that I begrudge them the success, but Spiders/Focus Home tried to make some more unique RPGs with Mars: War Logs and Of Orcs and Men, and neither ever got that high on the sales list (until daily deals at least). But here we get yet another dark fantasy "epic" complete with every trope imaginable and suddenly everyone eats it up? This is why we can't have nice new things.
I never played Of Orcs and Men but I have debated many times buying the game. Is it any good?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Definitely. At the very least they could have made it so that the "Top Seller" tab was enabled by default, and the last tab you had open in that section would be saved in your browser's cookies so that the next time you opened the home page it would remember your selection. Giving users the choice is almost always better than making the choice for them.

The problem is that since the introduction of Steam Greenlight, quality control on Steam has become pretty much nonexistent. Combining this worrying development with the Early Access program has resulted in some cases of lazy developers like that Earth: Year 2066 game which was removed from sale on Steam. The fact that pieces of crap like that can get on Steam doesn't exactly instill confidence in Valve for me.
That I agree with. The recent floods of shovelware and shitty games has really made me question Steam's future. I prefer Greenlight over the rumored self publishing, but I think gettig onto Greenlight needs to be stricter and more controlled

But that shouldn't diminish the developers who actually work their asses off on their games. Or the Early Access games that have progressed to full release or that are regularly consistently updated

And honestly, going by that thread, the PA devs are assholes
It is very apparent that some of you are plainly afraid of yourself, and feel the need to be telephone tough guys, or have boisterous opinions that in my world, would get you smacked aside the head. That is where I come from.
Seriously? What kind of dev talks to their community like that?

Arthea

50 Euros is an equivalent of $60, sounds like a good price to me considering the content and how long DW games are played.

not this again... 50€ is not $60, it's bloody more than $70!
Can someone please point me to the bank that will give me 50€ for $60? I'll be rich in no time and shower you with awesome giveaways! I promise.

edited: I forgot to refresh, it was pointed out long time ago
lol, sorry about that

Aerocrane

That I agree with. The recent floods of shovelware and shitty games has really made me question Steam's future. I prefer Greenlight over the rumored self publishing, but I think gettig onto Greenlight needs to be stricter and more controlled

But that shouldn't diminish the developers who actually work their asses off on their games. Or the Early Access games that have progressed to full release or that are regularly consistently updated

Unfortunately I feel that Valve is damaging both the Early Access and Greenlight labels with these couple high profile failures of the system. Negative news get more publicity, but I'd like to have some sort of response from Valve, to show that they do care about the system. I think the fact that publishers can just throw up their back catalog on Steam and have it all show up in the new releases list is also a problem. Only real coverage for new releases on the Steam store itself are the promotion slots.

Anyone want to help me with the gift achievement in Darksiders 2? I think the list only shows my most recent friends.

Edit: Oh and which color are the epic items?

You don't have to actually have anyone do anything with the gift. You just need to send one to someone. I don't think it even matters if they have the game. :)

And I think elite items are purple.

From PS3T:
Mass Ruckus
Equip elite items to all slots (4)
To get this trophy you must equip an elite (purple) item in all seven of Deaths item slots at the same time. This means you need an elite item for your Scythes, Secondary Weapons, Shoulders, Armor, *Gloves, Boots, and Talisman slots.

If you try to equip a higher quality item such as a legendary or possessed item in a slot, along with elites, the trophy will not unlock. The items must be of the elite tier, no higher, no lower.

The level of the elite item does not impact the trophy in any way, so you can have lower level items saved for later if you are concerned about getting this early on. You should have absolutely no problem completing this trophy if you play through the entire game. If you are struggling to find an item for a specific slot you can go to one of the vendors and purchase them as well.

There are six different tiers of items in all, starting with the the lowest tier (common) to the highest (legendary):

Common (White)
Uncommon (Green)
Rare (Blue)
Elite (Purple)
Possessed (Orange)
Legendary (Yellow)

And

Pay It Forward
Gift An Item To A Friend (58)
Requires the Crucible Online Pass
You must be online for this trophy and have a friend that is also playing Darksiders 2. If you do not have any friends playing the game, you can find someone from the Trophy Boosting thread to help you.

Head to any of the Serpent Tome's in the game and access it—the first of which is located in Tri-Stone. Press to select the Online Inbox. Then go to "Add Gift..." and a list of your friends will appear. Choose the one that has the game and send them any item you want from your list. Close the tome and shortly thereafter the trophy will unlock.

So all you have to do is send it to someone on your steam list who has the game and it should pop. I think I should have playtime logged on the game in terms of Steam, so send it to me and it should pop...

not this again... 50€ is not $60, it's bloody more than $70!
Can someone please point me to the bank that will give me 50€ for $60? I'll be rich in no time and shower you with awesome giveaways! I promise.

How about the general cost of living and the minimum wage? :p
It's apples and oranges, man. It's not a vacuum where only the exchange rate changes and everything else is equal.
If we do that kind of math, an adult over the age of 21 in NY making minimum wage takes home $7,176 less per year than an adult living in the UK.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I love this Dreadout trailer, reminds me games like Fatal Frame or Siren or those japanese horror games they dont really make anymore since everything is western first person these days

any word on the price?

Tellaerin

The fact that pieces of crap like that can get on Steam doesn't exactly instill confidence in Valve for me.

When you buy a crummy game from, say, Best Buy, do you blame the manufacturer for making a lousy game, or Best Buy for carrying it?

I'm not sure why people keep expecting Valve to behave like a console platform holder in the PC space. Steam's a distribution service. Valve's job is to make buying and downloading games as simple and painless as possible. I don't expect them to vet games for sale unless it involves blatantly false advertising or knowingly selling a broken product, in which case I expect to see said product pulled from the storefront and refunds issued where appropriate. Beyond that, though, it's on us to spread the word about good products (and bad ones).

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
I love this Dreadout trailer, reminds me games like Fatal Frame or Siren or those japanese horror games they dont really make anymore since everything is western first person these days

any word on the price?

It was $15 with a 10% discount, making it $13.49, the other day when it was put up by mistake.

hopefully they do the € price right

And all other currencies. Next to region locking and not localizing games, charging an exorbitant fee for a game that's cheaper in another region is something I dislike.

Arthea

you shouldn't be, you know how many people bought very first DMC just because it was named awesomely? A lot, myself included.
I hope you get my meaning ;)

Turfster

Speaking of Of Orcs and Men, I've always wanted to try that, but the price hasn't dropped into "okay, I'll do it" territory yet, because apparently the stealth is horrible, so...
I'm interested to see what Cyanide will do with Styx: Master of Shadows (the prequel), which looks like a much more stealth focused game.

jediyoshi

The fact that pieces of crap like that can get on Steam doesn't exactly instill confidence in Valve for me.

Don't worry, it's a lose/lose for Valve either way. Either they don't turn the nozzle enough and people complain about games they want not getting greenlit, or they open the nozzle too much and people complain about everything else. The issue is the idea that the store front should be anything other than Valve curated choices by now and Steam itself should just be an open platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom