• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lomax

Why has the price of Dota 2 keys plummeted on the Community Market? I'm tempted to pick up a few before the Canadian currency thing kicks in.

The Compendium for the International released, which apparently triggered a lot of selloff, but also a chest was released that doesn't require keys, which may have led to a big dump out of paranoia that Valve is changing their overall strategy for the game.

Edit: My thought is that prices will go back up, we've seen big selloffs during sales and such before. But it may never get back to parity with TF2 keys if DOTA has keyless crates and TF2 does not, which would impact the ability to use them to buy games.

DocSeuss

PSA: I do not recommend Doom 3 BFG edition anymore. After the latest patch, it dynamically downscales the resolution to whatever it thinks will maintain 60FPS, which is absolute bullshit because I played solid 60FPS at 1080p with 8xAA before and this won't even allow 2x before turning everything into mud.

Note that the UI is still running 1080p because it is programmed into the 3D engine. There is no way to turn it off.

The worst bug, in my opinion, is the one that interprets screenshots through Steam as an attempt to cheat, and thus disable achievements.

shira

Valve implemented chests that do not require keys.

It's an experiment, definitely not a guaranteed trend. Then again they haven't released a brown key chest in a long time.

Fucking with the economy by not having a base monetary unit would be disastrous. Dragonclaw hooks are 100 keys. Whether keys are going for $1.50 or $2.50.

Or maybe they want to destroy that re-seller market.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I just completed A Military Shooter Game. I don't play a lot of military shooter games, but I have to say I thought this one was decent, if a little short (a hair under 4 hours beginning to end). You play as several different characters over the course of the game, they all had sort of silly names. You basically go through several missions where your objective is to kill terrorists and protect freedom.

You basically work with NPCs to get through linear levels. There's lots of shooting. There was an on-rails helicopter sequence, and a turret bit. There was a door breaching part where time slows down and you have to shoot people inside the room. Most doors, though, you had to wait for your teammates to catch up and open them for you. There were parts where you had to get a boost up a high ledge from your team mate. There was one level where you kinda needed to do stealth sort of. You have machine guns, shotguns, and sniper rifles and grenades. You have to take cover but it's first person and not sticky cover so it's more like you need to stay out of sight. Some cover is destructible but some isn't. Some parts the NPC AI could basically clear out the level for you if you just sort of hung back but other parts they ran into your line of sight while you were shooting.

Overall I liked some of the plot points, like parts of the plot where we were surrounded by bad guys and almost died but then got through it. There was also a part where some guys on the team got taken captive and we had to rescue them.Also the part where my character is injured and his vision is like blurred and his ears were bringing.

Also the parts where there were quotes about the nature of sacrifice and war and stuff really made me consider the moral weight of it all but mostly I just shot like probably 1,000 guys over the course of the campaign. The dialogue was really crisp although I didn't really understand any of it because it was all nonsense marine talk. There was a lot of swearing.

One of the really epic moments was in a late-game stage when a song from a Top 40 artist came on, the game's theme song. Really made it feel like this big, important sequence.

Anyway it was a good game so I'd definitely consider playing the sequel.

Don't ruin the effect by checking my profile to see which game I actually played.

It's an experiment, definitely not a guaranteed trend. Then again they haven't released a brown key chest in a long time.

I am not up to date with the latest Dota 2 or TF 2 keys trends since I don't use these so I am sorry if that info is wrong or FUD. The last part of your post sounds *might* also be the reason why they implemented it.

DocSeuss

One of the really epic moments was in a late-game stage when a song from a Top 40 artist came on, the game's theme song. Really made it feel like this big, important sequence.

I don't remember what song it was. Care to share?

The top 40 artist bit gave it away Stump you sly devil. The sequel is decent. The shooting feels better but other aspects are worse.

The sequel is one of the few games where I literally just gave up a half hour or so in and decided I was not going to play the game ever again.

maneil99

I just completed A Military Shooter Game. I don't play a lot of military shooter games, but I have to say I thought this one was decent, if a little short (a hair under 4 hours beginning to end). You play as several different characters over the course of the game, they all had sort of silly names. You basically go through several missions where your objective is to kill terrorists and protect freedom.

You basically work with NPCs to get through linear levels. There's lots of shooting. There was an on-rails helicopter sequence, and a turret bit. There was a door breaching part where time slows down and you have to shoot people inside the room. Most doors, though, you had to wait for your teammates to catch up and open them for you. There were parts where you had to get a boost up a high ledge from your team mate. There was one level where you kinda needed to do stealth sort of. You have machine guns, shotguns, and sniper rifles and grenades. You have to take cover but it's first person and not sticky cover so it's more like you need to stay out of sight. Some cover is destructible but some isn't. Some parts the NPC AI could basically clear out the level for you if you just sort of hung back but other parts they ran into your line of sight while you were shooting.

Overall I liked some of the plot points, like parts of the plot where we were surrounded by bad guys and almost died but then got through it. There was also a part where some guys on the team got taken captive and we had to rescue them.Also the part where my character is injured and his vision is like blurred and his ears were bringing.

Also the parts where there were quotes about the nature of sacrifice and war and stuff really made me consider the moral weight of it all but mostly I just shot like probably 1,000 guys over the course of the campaign. The dialogue was really crisp although I didn't really understand any of it because it was all nonsense marine talk. There was a lot of swearing.

Anyway it was a good game so I'd definitely consider playing the sequel.

Don't ruin the effect by checking my profile to see which game I actually played.

Linkin Park Medal of Honor?

DocSeuss

Something you probably would have listened to in middle school.

That doesn't help me. I don't remember a song in that particular game. The only modernish military shooter I do remember with popular music was Black Ops playing... I want to say Run Through the Jungle and/or Sympathy for the Devil? It significantly elevated that game's quality. Actually just set up a Stones playlist, so how 'bout that for synchronicity?

EDIT: Thanks, maneil, we were trying not to say the name of the game.

Also, I do not remember that at all. That's not something I would have listened to in middle school, if I'd actually attended middle school.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Something you probably would have listened to in middle school.

Yeah it's an artist mostly known for sort of top 40 hip-hop-ish stuff but also with a bit of a rock influence at points. First became popular in the late 90s. The publisher made a big deal that they had recruited such a prominent artist to do a song for their game. There was a music video or something too, right, because the song was a single?

Dr Dogg

I can remember Stump saying he had a specific Military Shooter Game on his to play list and one immediately came to mind. Reading his thoughts did throw me off a little to another popular franchise but he wasn't talking about numbers so I kinda guessed it was a more modern one. The sequel deserves a playthrough to experience the most hilarious and yet most shocking 3D rendered characters in cutscenes for a big budget game in a long time.

Crap! I was supposed to start up KOTOR 2 sometime this week but AC IV took my time away.

Speaking of AC IV, I downloaded that Kenway's Fleet app on IOS to make some passive money while I'm not playing it.

Actually it pulls double duty as your in game map and most of the UI info if you connect it while in game. So you can declutter the screen, set waypoints and go look for collectables with very little downtime. Plus it's quite handy for the treasure maps and if you're one of those people invested in the lore of AC so you can read all the notes you've picked up.

I hope Wristwatch_Dawgs does something similar but all the talk has been about multiplayer integration. I'd love to get the UI and phone hacking stuff off the screen and onto the 'second screen' (such an awful name).

Milamber

Actually it pulls double duty as your in game map and most of the UI info if you connect it while in game. So you can declutter the screen, set waypoints and go look for collectables with very little downtime. Plus it's quite handy for the treasure maps and if you're one of those people invested in the lore of AC so you can read all the notes you've picked up.

Yeah, also used it on my iPad for the maps and realtime progress. Bit overly distracting tho.

Caerith

I wish more games did this. DXHR was a bit of a headache in comfy couch mode (since you can't resize the text in the emails and datapads you read) that being able to read stuff on my phone while playing would've been a godsend.

I also wish more games let you resize lore text.

Dr Dogg

Yeah, also used it on my iPad for the maps and realtime progress. Bit overly distracting tho.

Hahaha you've played nigh in 20 hours now I'd say you're in too deep for that to matter.

I wish more games did this. DXHR was a bit of a headache in comfy couch mode (since you can't resize the text in the emails and datapads you read) that being able to read stuff on my phone while playing would've been a godsend.

I also wish more games let you resize lore text.

Something I'd really like to see as an added (sometimes returning) feature is full control over text an UI scaling. If a game uses UE3 and Scaleform it's right bloody there in the .ini files so it just needs a comprehensive front end or better organisation when being put together. A few games have done it but as resolutions are going up and more and more people are using their PCs with TVs it seams a bit silly to not to try and cater to that audience.

Didn't the Directors Cut get an update letting you use the same WiiU Gamepad functions. Or am I dreaming that up? Still on the fence if I want to pick that up again or not.

DocSeuss

I like the idea, but have yet to experience it working. The Far Cry 3 app won't work at all for me. The ACIV app won't work while I'm playing ACIV, but will sync up later.

Milamber

You know AC IV is pretty great, if they removed the AC bits and left the pirate bits in. And add a true realtime trading system with fleets. I wanna build an empire with plantations at every island.

And I want to romance some governor's daughter at a ball.

http://positech.co.uk/cliffsblog/2014/05/10/the-future-of-steam-vr-and-other-seattle-stuff/

I’m here for a meeting with valve and some other indies, so I have lots to talk about. I am no expert at knowing exactly what I am and am not allowed to say, so here are vague impressions rather than a news-dump on steams plans. For a while, a lot of indies have been panicking about steam. There are more and more indie games being released though greenlight and people are worrying that the ‘average’ indie game on steam is making less money. The phrases you hear are ‘floodgates are opening’ and ‘race to the bottom’.

I’ve seen what valve have planned and I really do not think anyone has to worry. Actually I do. If your plan is to dump your first unity hobby game on steam and then retire rich, and that game is a clone or unpolished, or incredibly unoriginal, then yeah, you are so fucked, but frankly I don’t care.

Valve are approaching the ‘floodgates’ problem in exactly the right way. The steam experience for everyone is going to get so much better. I can’t fault their plans in any way. I’d love to attract loads of web traffic with a clickbait ‘valve are about to wreck steam’ blog post, but that would be complete bullshit.

My advice to indies uncertain about steam’s future is just to make a really cool game and don’t worry.
That sounds like PR bullshit but it’s actually true for once.

Dr Dogg

That's only 10% if JaseC's time is anything to go by.

To become a Master Assassin first you must lose you're save and be born again.

I've been listening to the shanties on the app when I'm outside driving. I'm deep into AC IV now.

Considering they lost Jesper Kydd I'm pleasantly surprised by the AC IV soundtrack. As I've said though it's a perfect Master and Commander crossed with Errol Flynn simulator. I would throw in a touch of Hornblower but I doubt many are as familiar with Horatio.

I like the idea, but have yet to experience it working. The Far Cry 3 app won't work at all for me. The ACIV app won't work while I'm playing ACIV, but will sync up later.

Half the problem I had with Far Cyr 3's mobile app was connecting to the multiplayer server to sync up profiles and such. It would load on my phone and register changes but never update in game. At first I had a few problems with the AC IV one not connecting or timing out after about 5 mins but it seems to be more stable now (touch wood). The Splinter Cell Spiderbot one has never worked for me.

Benedict

What's the word of pricing regarding Nuclear Throne?
Will it stay the same or increase?
I see you can buy it as Early Access already, both on Humble store and Steam.
Worth getting now?

Benedict

NBA 2K14 is only £5.62 with ALFIS4-GRATZ0-025GMG on GreenmanGaming, but then I can't use my Playfire Credits...
what to do what to doo...

Caerith

You know AC IV is pretty great, if they removed the AC bits and left the pirate bits in. And add a true realtime trading system with fleets. I wanna build an empire with plantations at every island.

There do need to be more pirate games.

Deques

Strike Suit Zero has an easy achievement which gives you 0.50 in playfirebucks

SHOOT THE MOON

You do it in the first mission. When you have the ability to shoot missiles just shoot the missiles to the moon. It takes around 5 minutes to get it

Dr Dogg

Or better still Anno Creed. Take the piratey Black Flag bits and layer it in you the settling & trading systems and map of Anno 1404. Make it happen Ubi

Dr Dogg

Is it wrong that I enjoy Settlers more than Anno?

It's been a while since I've played a Settlers title but I've played more of them than I have Anno and they both do different things very well. Granted Settlers is a bit more laser focused and Anno is a jack of all trades but both really reward what you put in. And Settlers 3 took up a lot of my time way back when.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom