• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

zychi

Banned
the beauty of my city's trains

loop2_map.JPG

out to the suburbs:
map.gif

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Ohh alright, thanks! Does that work everytime you want to sync or just once?

If you want to do it more than once, you'll have to log out of your account add EVE to your cart then log back in at the checkout page. If it won't let you do that, you'll have to repeat the same process using a different I.P

Copons

Last time I was in Rome everyone took the bus due to the fact no one pays for a ticket apart from those 2 days a year the conductors are out checking tickets. Granted that was about 15 years ago so things might have changed a touch by then :p

I wonder if that would be realistically recreated in Italian Bus Simulator?

Yeah, it's changed for the worse!
Really, we're about to suffer more or less 10 years of extremely bad administrations, of which 5 years featured the fact that the (previous) mayor candidly put a random relative as CEO of Rome transport system company. Yeah, like that. :D

At the moment we're rocking the great amount of less than 70 ticket inspectors (serving about - literally - 1000 lines and 2000 vehicles) . And I mean in total, not at the same time. :D
BTW you don't really need to take just the bus to avoid paying, as pretty much everybody jump the turnstiles in basically every metro station...

I don't really know of the situation of other cities - even though the few times I went there, Milan subway worked a charm - but a Rome Bus Simulator would basically mean being stuck in traffic for hours, going on strike every two fridays and at the end of the year begging the Ministry of Finance to give you money because you've been bankrupt for the last couple of months. :D

EDIT

I believe it's the first London Underground line ever constructed. It also features above & below-ground stations, offering up more visual variety, as well as the opportunity for day/night/weather conditions.

Ah thank you! I guess I never really had to use it a lot so I don't know it very well, even though I remember once when I took it from Wimbledon (IIRC) and I saw lots of amazing stations in what seemed a neverending travel.

Hehe.. when I lived in Rome back in 2009 I would mostly just always walk everywhere on principle and just occasionally take the bus. Nightlife in Trastevere was well within reach since I lived in Testaccio :)

Eh, screw you then! :D
I live in Montesacro, so basically 15Km from Trastevere, and on weekends I just refuse to go there, even by scooter. :D

Anteater

friend started asking me about gone home on chat when I was playing it and it turned into a long conversation about the 90s and that jurassic park is 20 years old, fuck him.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
So, did anyone else notice that while Sonic Generations and ASRT are on sale, the Sonic Hits Collection actually jumped *up* in price?

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/26498/

That's rather annoying, especially after a lot of people including myself missed the Humble Store sale on it.

Yeah, that's kind of bullshit. Hopefully it's not a permanent price increase.

There needs to be more hype for The Stomping Land, a dinosaur survival sim. This could be the best dinosaur related game in a while.

Evrain

What on earth is going on with Far Cry 3's vsync options. Are they all broke because I'm getting stuttering no matter what I adjust them to. Driver adjustments to the rescue and everything is back to non jerkyness.

Last time I was in Rome everyone took the bus due to the fact no one pays for a ticket apart from those 2 days a year the conductors are out checking tickets. Granted that was about 15 years ago so things might have changed a touch by then :p

I wonder if that would be realistically recreated in Italian Bus Simulator?
That's not just Rome: I hail from a city further down the land of art, history, pasta and sex-crazed Prime Ministers, and most people here don't pay bus fares, if not due to how outrageous the service is. Never on time, assuming they just don't skip your stop out of boredom or if in a hurry. Once I even risked having my foot chopped off by the doors being closed way too fast.

Montréal subway FTW

I head up to Montreal from Boston 2X a year, and I have to agree with this. Fantastic system; it covers the city well, the trains are nice, and it can handle large surges of people (like for the Osheaga music festival every year).

Boston's is fine, as long as you heading into downtown or coming out of downtown. It's a total hub-n-spoke system, so getting from one spoke to another can be supremely annoying. But as long as you don't have to transfer lines, it's decent enough.

Tenrius

Moscow Metro is all right. It works pretty well, unlike other public transit here. Actually, I have quite a bit to say on this topic, because I've been writing stuff for an organisation that promotes the study and improvement of urban environment lol.

To not be completely off-topic, I played some Tesla Effect yesterday and liked what little I saw of it. There is some very annoying speech stutter, however, which seems to be happening for a lot of users with a variety of setups. It's pretty serious: basically, every spoken line is interrupted with a small (about a second long) stutter. So hopefully they'll patch it out somehow, I just want people to be aware of this issue (although not everybody seems to have it).

Ruruja

Probably this has been asked before, but, how the hell do you synchronize your Playfire Rewards money to GMG? I've tried to log in/out from both sites, but my GMG Credit remains the same since last week.

Do I have to contact support, just wait more, or is there another way? Thanks!

I wait patiently, some took like a week to add, but they did eventually.

zkylon

zkylewd
Moscow Metro is all right. It works pretty well, unlike other public transit here. Actually, I have quite a bit to say on this topic, because I've been writing stuff for an organisation that promotes the study and improvement of urban environment lol.

am i mistaken or i recognize the shape from metro 2033 there?

Acccent

*checks steam thread*
oh, that's funny, they're all posting subway maps :) I should probably post Paris'...
*looks for a proper picture in google, quickly gives up*
heh, by the time I find one they'll have moved on, or someone else'll have posted it. nvm this

*comes back 2 hours later*
*maps are still being posted*
*paris is nowhere to be seen*

I love how it accurately shows how much of a clusterfuck this city is

I don't currently live in Paris

I have no interest in co-op but Soul Memory goes off of souls that you've received, not spent. So yes, getting a ton of souls from killing an invading hacker would make it effectively make it impossible for you to co-op even if you don't use them at all.

Actually I figured a fix of such.
1- Disconnect PS4 Controller
2- Turn on Steam
3- Turn on DS4Tool, disable Hide DS4 and THen connect DS4 controller
4- Turn on hide DS4 and the controller will be recognized normally

I don't know why anyone uses DS4 tool... it was supremely inferior to the SCP DS3 service...

GaussTek

If you want to do it more than once, you'll have to log out of your account add EVE to your cart then log back in at the checkout page. If it won't let you do that, you'll have to repeat the same process using a different I.P

Alright, thanks for the info!

I wait patiently, some took like a week to add, but they did eventually.

Yeah, I'll wait just a bit more, if not, I will use the EVE method :D

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Just because: this is Turin metro:

metropolitana_torino_ico.jpg

It only useful if you live at one of the two ends, it doesn't even cross the center of the city. What a waste of money. :lol

Nabs

Out There Somewhere comes out next week:

You guys should play this when it comes out. I'm sure we all have this from some bundle, somewhere.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Out There Somewhere comes out next week:

You guys should play this when it comes out. I'm sure we all have this from some bundle, somewhere.

dont remember seeing it in any bundle :(

Can I check somethings guys? What humble bundle was hotline miami in? Was dying to play it on pc (having got right into it on the vita) and don't usually miss a humble bundle but I can't see it in my library... :)

EDIT: regarding the London subway game. Oh gosh they chose Circle, which is probably the slowest line of the entire universe (along with District of course and the Overground).
Do you know if aside my need for speed, that line has some kind of historical interest going on?

As far as I know - you may correct me if I'm wrong - the first underground ever in the world dating 1863, anyway the oldest line in London, was the one connecting some stations such as Baker street that now are a part of Central and Circle lines in London.

The Central line has a huge historical interest, but I generally prefer travelling on other lines such as the Piccadilly, the Bakerloo or the Jubilee, maybe because they are tube-shaped.

MG_2813.jpg

800px-BakerStreetOriginalPlatforms1863.jpg

Sub Zero

Can I check somethings guys? What humble bundle was hotline miami in? Was dying to play it on pc (having got right into it on the vita) and don't usually miss a humble bundle but I can't see it in my library... :)

The most recent bundle was the Pewdiepie one a few weeks ago. I am pretty sure it was bundled before that too

wetflame

Pizza Dog
The trick to the Underground is if you can make any part of your journey on the Victoria line it's usually better to do so. I might be biased as Brixton's my local stop though.

Arthea

Absolutely, even if you don't end up liking the presentation of the story it's such a small price that I don't think you can feel too bad about it.

I personally think that it's not worth playing even for free. That's the worst game steamgaf recommended and I bought, I never should have.

It was for less than $2 on gog recently, price mistake, it went so fast I blinked and it was gone. $5 is really good price, actually

STEAM | June 2014 - CHOO CHOO

They overdid this metro talk, didn't they? (><)

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I don't think I posted it here (maybe I did but I spaced on it... Actually I think I did), but here was my review for Deadly Premonition.

deadly-premonition-directors-cut.jpg

I had originally played Deadly Premonition on the 360 during May of 2010. I was visiting my grandmother and was out with the family at Best Buy, where an uncle of mine was considering getting a printer. Being the dork I am, I went to go check out the video game section, and there were a few copies of Deadly Premonition lined on the shelves. The cover caught my interest as a horror fan, and the cheap $20 price tag sold me on it to make a blind purchase. When we got back from our day out, I put it into the 360 and started to play.

The first thing I noticed about Deadly Premonition, and something that has remained true, is that I love its soundtrack. A few select tracks are used maybe a little too often, but the music perfectly fits the odd tone of the game, and is pretty damn catchy. Even as I am writing this review, I find myself humming a few of its tunes. This is a case where the soundtrack isn't just good, but is a big part of this game. I am convinced the game may not have been as well received by as many if it didn't have this off-kilter soundtrack that really gets you into the mood for the oddness the game throws at you.

The next thing I and about anyone else will notice is that this game looks dated. It's something of a miracle that a game in this graphical condition was released as a published disk-based console title in this day and age. It looks dated, but then controversially I would say the look fits the game. It sort of sets you into a set of expectations for the sort of game you're about to play. This may be backwards logic, but if the game had looked amazing I feel a lot of people would of found the actuality of the game to be lackluster to its looks. And as the game goes on, the odd facial expressions and clunky animations become very amusing. Notably, the Director's Cut does update the graphics some, but honestly its hardly noticeable.

The rest rolls from there. The controls are a bit awkward, but you adjust. The first chapter isn't all that great, but it gets better. And before you know it, you start getting hooked into the game. I know I did. And it's the type of game you want to talk about.

ss_ca3b19c969f283be5c2aa2d805fc1d49e62d0cbd.600x338.jpg

Heavily inspired by Twin Peaks (to a point in development the game got in legal trouble for far too many similarities that they had to change it, back when the game was known as Rainy Woods), the story follows the same basic premise; An FBI agent goes to investigate the homicide of a local high school beauty in a small pacific-northwestern town, but the town has a darker side the FBI agent discovers as he gets deeper into the case. The town is Greenvale, and our character in Deadly Premonition is Agent Francis York Morgan (but just call him York, that's what everybody calls him), an offbeat FBI agent who solves cases through odd measures, particularly of note in the fact he uses a system he calls profiling (that basically results to magic to figure out what happened by collecting clues), and see's shapes and messages in his morning coffee and newspaper that gives him clues to things to investigate. He also talks regularly to some unseen person named Zach. Many will quickly put together that 'Zach' is actually York's way of talking to the player, who only he seems to realize is watching everything, and who only he interacts with.

Deadly Premonition has unforgettable characters. York stands out, as the player really begins to form a connection with their odd agent, but the rest of the cast are just as good. The likes of Emily, George, Thomas, Mr. Stewart, Polly, and the rest of the colorful cast will last with you long after the game has been completed. And the story legitimately begins to get gripping. Like the rest of the game, Deadly Premonition tells an odd tale, and honestly some of what occurs in the game is absolutely ridiculous, but somehow you'll legitimately care what's going on. That is when you're not laughing your &#9829;&#9829;&#9829; off, as the game is somehow both intentionally and unintentionally hilarious at the same time.

But it's more than just that, this game manages to actually be touching, and I found myself more emotionally involved with this game's story and characters than most any other game I've played in the last few years. And while I don't want to get ahead of myself, the last few hours of the game's story are unforgettable. Saying bye to York and the rest of Greenvale is up there as one of the hardest things I had to do as a gamer upon coming to the close of the game.

Deadly Premonition is not just, 'so bad it's good' (though definitely parts of the game are just that). The game does some things absolutely wonderfully, really stellar and uniquely. But it does other things terribly, absolutely horribly. It has flaws, a lot of them. But somehow most of these flaws become strangely part of the whole experience. They sort of blend in with everything else and become part of the overall experience of Deadly Premonition. Not everyone will like Deadly Premonition, but the title since I've played it has taken on a fairly big cult following, and for good reason.

ss_c628f83417e76d44be2496fd422001789fe698a7.600x338.jpg

Deadly Premonition is more than the sum of its parts. The game has obviously a lot of heart in it, and it shows. But it also is loaded with flaws, and that also shows. But somehow, the heart put into this game and the elements that make it amazing shine above the cumbersome driving, or the glitches the game has, or the fact the game has a few annoying QTEs. The term, 'experience', in games gets thrown around a lot these days, but this truly is what Deadly Premonition is. An experience.

And it's not a short one either. The game should take someone 15-20 hours to complete the first time. To do the side-quests easily adds another 5-20 hours (and you should do the side-quests, they're rather fun and most all of them add additional cutscenes and character depth, plus some of them reward you with handy items, like quick-travel or a weather doll or infinite ammo weapons, or even just new cars and suits).

The PC port has flaws. There are many fan-made work arounds and patches made to help, but these still exist. I was lucky that I didn't run into much, but the game did crash a couple of times for me, and there's this weird thing with the game where the longer you play it without closing it and re-launching it, the slower over time the FPS will get. It's hardly a perfect port, and some will definitely be turned off by this.

But it's also definitely the best version of the game. And if you haven't experienced Deadly Premonition before, you definitely ought to at least give it a try, maybe stick around for the coffee.

Deadly Premonition is not a masterpiece in a traditional sense, and it's too flawed in ways to be named a good game (maybe okay at best). But Deadly Premonition is probably one of the best gaming experiences you could have that's released in the last few years. You'll laugh, you'll cringe, you'll be hit with feels, and you'll panic. When all is said and done, we need more games like Deadly Premonition. It's the mid-tier game in one of the purest forms, flawed and arguably bad, but with so much heart and enjoyable elements you may not care, and hardly any game will put a smile on your face as much as DP does.

Dr Dogg

Oh the irony that a massive thread derail is cause by talk of trains.

On a Metro related note I mentioned at the time the 2033 really benefited from Nvidia's recent DX11 patch but just trying out Last Light and that seams even better. Physx needs to be updated manually as the latest beta drivers rolled it back to an earlier version that causes the game to drop right down when they're present but 60fps (even with 2x SSAA) seams to be on the cards if you got the GPU grunt.

Copons

I love how it accurately shows how much of a clusterfuck this city is

I don't currently live in Paris

Aw, don't say clusterfuck... :(

I really love Paris and probably for the old rivalry with Rome, I always compared the two cities, with huge envy for how it is organized and how it managed to grow in an urbanistically modern way, where Rome was being spoiled at first by the oppressive tiny streets wanted by the Church (they are astounding beautiful, but now are totally non viable in a city ruled by private transportation) and then by wild unplanned construction.

Just because: this is Turin metro:

metropolitana_torino_ico.jpg

It only useful if you live at one of the two ends, it doesn't even cross the center of the city. What a waste of money. :lol

AHAH I was talking about that a couple of days ago! Waste I don't know, but they're automatic train, SO FUTURE MUCH FUN

The trick to the Underground is if you can make any part of your journey on the Victoria line it's usually better to do so. I might be biased as Brixton's my local stop though.

I honestly, in like ten times I've been to London, NEVER saw, not even once, the Victoria line without some kind of works and closures going on. Northern is the way! (also because I stayed in Belsize Park or in Balham :p )

Fotonica is decent for £1.50.

Hold a button to start running. Let go to jump. Press (and hold) it again to drop down faster to land (early) and start running again. Go faster. Interesting visuals.

http://a.pomf.se/akknnt.webm

Fotonica is more than worth that price! A fantastic runner with fantastic visuals and devs are the sweetest guys ever (same devs of MirrorMoon EP).

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
if Gone Home was that price on Steam i'd buy it with card moneyz, as it stands... I wont :/

Acccent

I have a question for you guys, couldn't be more steam-related this time :D

So, now that the heartbleed bug's been mostly fixed, I recently started to change my passwords everywhere. This includes Steam, but I happen to have several accounts there...

So, I start logging into each account on the client (since that's the only way to change your password... -_-), and of course when I get to the last one &#8211; which I haven't used for years, if at all &#8211; SteamGuard is triggered and asks for the code. Thing is, I don't actually remember the email address I used to create the account... so, no way to get the code and log into the account.

I sent a ticket to Steam support, and they just replied asking about the payment information I used with the account, to prove I'm indeed its owner. But I never bought any game with that account...

So, my question is: considering this is basically a blank account that I made long ago and isn't really useful anymore, should I just drop it? or should I explain to the Steam support what I just told you guyes, ie. that I don't have any payment info linked to that account? Is it even allowed to have multiple Steam accounts?

Aw, don't say clusterfuck... :(

I really love Paris and probably for the old rivalry with Rome, I always compared the two cities, with huge envy for how it is organized and how it managed to grow in an urbanistically modern way, where Rome was being spoiled at first by the oppressive tiny streets wanted by the Church (they are astounding beautiful, but now are totally non viable in a city ruled by private transportation) and then by wild unplanned construction.
Man I think Paris can be super pretty depending on which neighbourhood you're in but it absolutely is a clusterfuck. Doesn't mean it's impossible to navigate, but it is, just like Rome I imagine, the very opposite of a planned city...

DocSeuss

I have a question for you guys, couldn't be more steam-related this time :D

So, now that the heartbleed bug's been mostly fixed, I recently started to change my passwords everywhere. This includes Steam, but I happen to have several accounts there...

So, I start logging into each account on the client (since that's the only way to change your password... -_-), and of course when I get to the last one – which I haven't used for years, if at all – SteamGuard is triggered and asks for the code. Thing is, I don't actually remember the email address I used to create the account... so, no way to get the code and log into the account.

I sent a ticket to Steam support, and they just replied asking about the payment information I used with the account, to prove I'm indeed its owner. But I never bought any game with that account...

So, my question is: considering this is basically a blank account that I made long ago and isn't really useful anymore, should I just drop it? or should I explain to the Steam support what I just told you guyes, ie. that I don't have any payment info linked to that account? Is it even allowed to have multiple Steam accounts?

So what you're saying is that you're the reason Steam has more accounts than Xbox which has more than DirecTV?

For shame.

(I have no idea, I'd just change the password to something random and forget it)

Zizbuka

Banned
Suddenly a lot of my Steam games are randomly switching to small icons. I restart Steam, after deleting my .blob files, and it still does it. Not always the same games.

Any ideas?

Acccent

So what you're saying is that you're the reason Steam has more accounts than Xbox which has more than DirecTV?

For shame.

(I have no idea, I'd just change the password to something random and forget it)

...........................maybe...

I can't change the password. To change it you must first log in... and to log in you have to disable SteamGuard... which is hard to do when you don't know what address the code is being sent to :p

maneil99

So I found out one of my favorite RTS games ever, Act of War Direct Action, is on steam but doesn't work on Windows 8 .... :(

Sub Zero

Suddenly a lot of my Steam games are randomly switching to small icons. I restart Steam, after deleting my .blob files, and it still does it. Not always the same games.

Any ideas?

Steam static content server issue. Same thing happened to me and another fella from here. Switching to the Steam Beta client should fix the problem

Copons

Man I think Paris can be super pretty depending on which neighbourhood you're in but it absolutely is a clusterfuck. Doesn't mean it's impossible to navigate, but it is, just like Rome I imagine, the very opposite of a planned city...

Oh well, I was talking from a visitor standpoint (I'd always loved to live in Paris for some time but I just cannot for the love of god pronounce anything in French :D ) and probably I'm biased by the fact that I was super lucky that my ex gf had an uncle who owned a tiny mansard in the middle of the roofs of Saint Germain des Prés.
Still, when I think about how the boulevards or Champs Élysées changed in a future-proof way the entire landscape of the city, centuries before cars and whatnot, well, that is huge to me.
But I guess banlieues or any other lower class suburbs kinda suck basically everywhere. :(

Any ideas?

JaseC suggestion (not guaranteed to work) here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=111510214&postcount=7562

MRORANGE

Has anyone gotten Rayman 2 to run properly on Windows 7/8.1? The game loads up but the text is smudged.

Yes, the game can support most normal resolutions quite well, just don't use the in-game options to set it but the settings panel to set your native resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom