• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to have to start working the streets again to afford all these games ;-;

Dreadout actually started getting scary and I realized I'm not in the mood for that so hopefully I'll be able to get through it tomorrow. Games are so much scarier with a nice pair of headphones. Is the Forest going to have Oculus Rift support at early access launch? Will be the death of me.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
This is not based off anything other than gut-feeling and being pretty familiar with horror games, but I expect The Forest to be good, maybe not great though. It's Early Access release, so I expect there to be some bugs and I bet it's going to be a scenario that at first everyone will be all excited to play, but then numerous bugs will pop up, and then we'll get gifs and the like.

But there is a good game that shapes up from the bugs. Though I think the survival element will be pretty good, while the horror element may be scary at first but quickly diminishes when when you become more focused on hording and building. But they then try spicing it up with locations with twists in them that then take people out of their safe zone, but soon these twists become pretty norm for those who play the game a lot too.

But it'll look pretty and have good atmosphere, and be a good time sink game.

This is my prediction, to see if I turn out to be right or not.

Dusk Golem

Dreadout actually started getting scary and I realized I'm not in the mood for that so hopefully I'll be able to get through it tomorrow. Games are so much scarier with a nice pair of headphones. Is the Forest going to have Oculus Rift support at early access launch? Will be the death of me.

The best part is that I can guess which one of the possible early moments you may be at. The sound design in the game is fantastic, adds a lot. It along with some intelligent horror design does make the game legitimately unnerving at times, and a few good scares.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Prediction: Two of those games will be poor. But I don't know which ones.

vo51QQu.png

:D

Dusk Golem

What games are people looking forward to in June?

Gimme a moment to google horror games releasing that month!

But seriously, June is part of the drought months, but a few titles that interest me. Namely Darkwood (which was pushed back), Sniper Elite III, and interested how Murdered: Soul Suspect might turn out (okay, terrible, good?)

Lomax

So I just realized it's been over a year now since Trading Cards released, and yet almost all of the future developments that were promised during Beta seem to have ground to a halt. While I love the fact that these cards have almost single-handedly supported my gaming habit for the last year, it's frustrating to see it seemingly abandoned to being just a gimmick especially when the promised album feature seems like such a crucial element to any sort of real collectability.

So I just realized it's been over a year now since Trading Cards released, and yet almost all of the future developments that were promised during Beta seem to have ground to a halt. While I love the fact that these cards have almost single-handedly supported my gaming habit for the last year, it's frustrating to see it seemingly abandoned to being just a gimmick especially when the promised album feature seems like such a crucial element to any sort of real collectability.

Valve-Time.

Just wait. In 4 years we can finally have the album!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I'm thinking of trying to conquer my fear of horror games by binge playing a bunch of them... I'll either conquer the fear, or have a nervous breakdown

List of candidates in my steam collection off the top of my mind:

Amnesia
Penumbra games
Outlast
Silent Hill Homecoming
Doom 3
Huntsman The Orphanage
FEAR 1/2 (because I finished 3 recently and it wasn't scary at all)
Slender
Condemned (this would be cheating since I finished it on the 360 before I turned into such a pussy)
Dreadout (if I buy it)

I'm sure I have more but I can't remember

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Amnesia
Penumbra games
Outlast
Silent Hill Homecoming
Doom 3
Huntsman The Orphanage
Slender
Condemned (this would be cheating since I finished it on the 360 before I turned into such a pussy)
Dreadout (if I buy it)

Homecoming isn't really scary at all, so start out with that and work your way up. Doom 3 isn't really scary either.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I'm looking forward to Murdered: Soul Suspect impressions, likely won't buy it though.

Darkwood, Unrest, and Gods Will Be Watching look kind of good.

And who's not hyped for Don Bradman Cricket 14?

header_292x136.jpg

From the discription.

The first thing to think about when you start playing Don Bradman Cricket 14 is to forget what you know about Cricket games and start afresh… it's cricket like you've never seen it before!

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahaha!

Oh thank you, I needed a good laugh. Anyroad, Murdered: Soul Suspect is the one I'm most looking forward to, I just fell in love with that last E3 and have been waiting ever since

Dusk Golem

Oh, speaking of Darkwood, I have hardly seen anyone mention it at all in these Steam topics, so let me do one of those informative posts.

Darkwood Steam Store Page
Darkwood Early Access Teaser Trailer

header_292x136.jpg

Darkwood is a top-down rogue-like psychological survival-horror game, made to be a challenging and nerve-wracking game.

You are in a big open-world in Darkwood and are deep in the forest. You tranverse an eerie and atmospheric landscape, making tough choices and fighting for survival. The game does have a story, and multiple endings. The developers also touched that there's also a 'weird' element to the game, as well as some dark humor. The game drops you into its world, and wants you to figure it all out and survive harsh conditions and make your own choices in a twisted world of nightmares, limited supplies, and strange occurrences and sounds.

The game enters Early Access next month, and it does look fairly promising if you're interested in this kind of thing.

From the discription.

I think that is their way of saying "every cricket game ever has been rubbish <insert Alan Border's cricket was AMAZING comment here> and the game translates really poorly ... but you know, ours is different"

I'd be a bit dubious to be honest, but the bar is set pretty low. Hopefully they can keep the game on steam for longer than a couple of days.

The game enters Early Access next month, and it does look fairly promising if you're interested in this kind of thing.

Looks well worth a look.

bender

What time is it?
I'm thinking of trying to conquer my fear of horror games by binge playing a bunch of them... I'll either conquer the fear, or have a nervous breakdown

Amnesia
Penumbra games
Outlast
Silent Hill Homecoming
Doom 3
Huntsman The Orphanage
Slender
Dreadout (if I buy it)

I didn't think the Fear games were all that scary and I'm a wuss. They have fantastic AI though. I think Amnesia is the only survival horror game I've ever completed and now I'm done with the genre. They are just way too uncomfortable for my tastes.

Coreda

Transistor

Whenever I see a game with such evocative scenery I'm always a bit sad that the more interesting parts of the level (to me at least), such as the underwater city here can't be dived into and explored, or be part of gameplay. Such a level, where perhaps you are a detective and have to dive down and sneak up to various apartments to hear private conversations, for clues and such, would be so my type of game.

Dusk Golem

Amnesia
Penumbra games
Outlast
Silent Hill Homecoming
Doom 3
Huntsman The Orphanage
Slender
Dreadout (if I buy it)

Scariness is subjective, but working your way up is usually a good idea. Just to sort of footnote each of these:

Amnesia: Hide & Seek/Don't get Tagged Simulator, with oppressive atmosphere and twists-up in the formula because you're going insane. Is scary to many.

Penumbra: Has action, but more twisted monsters than Amnesia. debate with people if the game is better or worse than Amnesia, but it definitely is less popular, but probably around same scariness level as Amnesia.

Outlast: Very scary at first, but it gets bit predictable after a while. Looks pretty for an indie game.

Silent Hill Homecoming: Kind of like a B-Horror movie with some good elements and parts. Has flaws, but does have okay atmosphere, though really not all that scary.

Doom 3: Haunted House Simulator on Mars. Lots of BOOGA-WOOGA-WOOGA BOOMBOOM KABLAM GORE-SPREAD-EVERYWHERE. And it's dark.

Huntsman: A lot more narrative focused, though a few good scares and sprinkled in. A lot of files/videos/audio to partake in.

FEAR: Satisfying gameplay and some delicious weird scenes, but are you afraid of little girls? If not...

Slender: You mean Arrival? It's basically a found-footage film in game form, which either you'll think is awesome, or not. Has some good scares in it, and on a personal level I enjoy it more than Eight Pages, but that opinion of mine is a bit controversial.

Condemned: You should know~

DreadOut: Styled 90s/early 2000s horror, with sound and never guessing what might come next to scare and engage you. Some good atmosphere.

The dreaded enhanced Steam early access logo strikes again. The image you probably want:

header_292x136.jpg

Thank you very much, I saw someone thinking of playing horror games and had to reply, of course.

Divinity Original Sin and Sniper Elite III

I've never played a divinity game before but it looks like a really strong RPG, and I played the crap out of Sniper Elite V2 but I didn't like nazi zombie army that much so I'm excited for a return to the regular sniping stuff in SE3

Doom3 and Fear1 arent scary at all.

Play Outlast or Amnesia.

Dark Souls 2 has been giving me palpitations on NG+ since it mixes up enemy variations and placement at times like previous games.

If you haven't cleared the game once and haven't cleared
Harvest Valley
in NG+ or with a bonfire ascetic, don't read this:

So I'm blazing fast path style through the area when I hit the 2nd bonfire... I decide to take a quick detour because i can't remember what's behind that "secret" wall up the hill with the huge guy. So I get up there, the guy breaks out of his boarded up cell and starts to attack me. So I strafe around him, and I back up trying to lure him back in there to smash the second wall down for me, just like in my 1st playthrough. The stubborn bastard won't come after me though and just stands on the hill flinging those huge dark magic balls.

SUDDENLY, A RED PHANTOM DOUBLE SICKLE HOLLOW BUSTS OUT FROM BEHIND ME AND NEARLY TAKES MY HEAD OFF!!

I uttered some fantastic string of Tourette's style cursiing as I tried to roll my way the hell out of there. When I killed him without dying and easily dispatched the no longer necessary enslaved giant thing, I started to laugh and couldn't help but think "Well, that was a much easier way of getting into that secret area!"

I've had a couple moments like those so far where something almost the equivalent of a jump scare comes out of nowhere and takes me by surprise. It's exhilarating.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Is the Stanley Parable likely to be cheaper in the upcoming sale?

Possibly, but I wouldn't expect more than 66% off. 75% might happen, but I have doubts.

Expecting it to go back down to 50%, or at the very least 33%, off during the summer sale is probably the safest bet.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Doubt it goes more than 50%, it's too close to the sale, and the game isn't even 1 year old AND it didn't bomb

ehhh, I am new to pc gaming...just built mine within the last month. I never knew this thread existed before. But I am looking at the trusted sellers, and it has gotten me worried. I bought a watch dogs key from some place called G2A because it was only 30 something dollars. Was this a mistake, are they not reliable

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
ehhh, I am new to pc gaming...just built mine within the last month. I never knew this thread existed before. But I am looking at the trusted sellers, and it has gotten me worried. I bought a watch dogs key from some place called G2A because it was only 30 something dollars. Was this a mistake, are they not reliable

Well, G2A is a known key reseller. So you could be unaffected or completely out of luck, unfortunately.

Rhaknar

I have a rule to not use sites with numbers in the name. Also it's probably not even a steam key but a uplay key

Yakkue

Well, they resell keys, so if the original buyer of the key complains to valve, your copy might get revoked.

Rhaknar

well, thats not good to hear. Think I might just go ahead and try to cancel my order.

Since you are new lemme give you a little advice that people to this day still don't check. This only matters if you only care about steam version of games, and being in the steam thread, it's likely you do.

Always check if in whatever game page on any retailer it says "you need a steam account to activate this game"

If it doesn't say that, it's not a steam key, and it baffles me how people still miss this or just assume everything just redeems on steam (including some real life friends who then get super pissed when they don't lol)

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
STEAM | May 2014 - Ask us about the missing grid view banners!

Actually, they have full sets in contrast to the old chests that have a mix of items. And they also change the way you get the items so you don't get duplicates for opening the same chest a couple of times. Basically they guarantee you will get the item you are looking for sooner or later without having to spend $1,000 on keys...
Aha, so they basically made the old chests useless, and with that the keys. I didn't think the change was so severe.

A few that I have in my "play soon" backlog like Remember Me and Guacamelee.

G2A is an unauthorized key reseller, so whether you get to keep the game or the key ends up revoked is a coin toss (do mind that in this case it's very likely an UPlay key and not a Steam one). If not buying from Steam always buy from authorized sellers only (amazon, gmg, gamefly, gamersgate, etc) to avoid issues like that.

Wonder if Playfire'd ever have rewards for the Deadpool game...
Unlikely since you can't buy it, but I wouldn't mind, would be the trigger for me to finally install it :p

Yakkue

well, thats not good to hear. Think I might just go ahead and try to cancel my order.

You could be completely fine. A friend of mine mostly buys those sort of keys and never had a problem. It's faar to risky for my taste though and I prefer being 100% sure that none of my games were bought with stolen credit cards :x

thanks for the help and advice everyone. I was already able to cancel and get a refund. Definitely going to pick it up from a more trusted place

Yakkue

thanks for the help and advice everyone. I was already able to cancel and get a refund. Definitely going to pick it up from a more trusted place

I think the cheapest you can get it for at the moment would be at greenmangaming with this 20% off coupon: FUSWJT-B1DU64-JBV8UY. Or at Gamefly with this coupon: UKMAY20OFF (someone correct me if it's cheaper anywhere else).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Just got back from seeing The Grand Budapest Hotel (finally).

It was good.

G2A is about as reliable as you would expect a popular reseller to be, but as JustinJ004 found out the hard way even "reliable" resellers can screw you over.

-MD-

I think the cheapest you can get it for at the moment would be at greenmangaming with this 20% off coupon: FUSWJT-B1DU64-JBV8UY (someone correct me if it's cheaper anywhere else).

I went to go test that voucher for him and it doesnt seem to work, I believe because they're offering a $9 cash back/$12 credit on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom