• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
The Forest has its store page up.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/242760

The most recent trailer shows loads of mutants. Can't wait. This game must be nightmare fuel on the Oculus Rift.

Plus there'll be a no enemies mode if you just want to craft and chill.
Survival has to be the most boring genre ever to me. Give me anything but that. Tower defense, pony caretaking, boat simulator, fuck, even mobas.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Survival has to be the most boring genre ever to me. Give me anything but that. Tower defense, pony caretaking, boat simulator, fuck, even mobas.

What's weird is that all the genres you listed have survival as a core game mechanic.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
What's weird is that all the genres you listed have survival as a core game mechanic.

At it's broadest definition, every game is about survival and destruction.

I've also gone to 2 meetups of my clan and I know about 10 of them.

I'm actually surprisingly social lol. Even though I'm quite a hikki.

That norse mythology game thread re-ignited my flames for ragnarok online. Anyone wanna play?

Ragnarok Online is still going? It's been a long time since I've played, haha.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Wow, grid view icon problem is getting worse. Now, almost every icon is gone from my library. Get your shit together and fix this Valve, I don't want to use the broken beta client

Dice

Yes, any game in existence needs you to "survive" the rules and circumstances of the game to reach the goal of the game. Similarly, I could play the "semantic bullshit game" with you or I could assert that you know damn well what I am referring to when I mention the survival genre.

morningbus

At it's broadest definition, every game is about survival and destruction.

Yes, any game in existence needs you to "survive" the rules and circumstances of the game to reach the goal of the game. Similarly, I could play the "semantic bullshit game" with you or I could assert that you know damn well what I am referring to when I mention the survival genre.

Oh, I've got some indie games for you to "play."

Regardless, joking aside, tower defense is really a survival genre, all things considered. You usually have to survive waves of enemies, each time improving your abilities to better tackle the next wave.

From a critical stand point, there is no way you can criticize Survival games without also damning Tower Defense. The only real difference is that one is often open world and the other is level based.
Dice
Grouchy
(Today, 12:58 PM)
Temperament determine by roll of the dice.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Huh. Toribash is on Steam now, or at least it will be soon since it doesn't seem like there's any way to add it to your library yet. Plus it's free to play.

And because I'm a sucker for RPG Maker games, I might as well mention that two more released on Steam.

Sweet Lily Dreams is available for $9.74, 35% off its normal price until May 23rd. The art style looks like a visual representation of the definition of girly.

About the Game

The peaceful Realm of Dreams is threatened to be consumed by a dark and terrible nightmare. You must venture into the darkness and battle fearsome foes such as Doctor Jekyll, the Headless Horseman and Dracula. Are you brave enough to face your fears?

Lily is a girl who loves to read and dream about fairy tales. One night she encounters Faith, a dog set out to prove herself, and Curly Trick the cat. Lily is drawn into the escalating battle between good and evil and discovers that books are a lot safer than reality.

Legionwood 2 is available for $4.19, 30% off its normal price until the 23rd as well.

About the Game

Legionwood 2: Rise of the Eternal's Realm is an epic fantasy Role Playing Game (RPG) in the classic style reminiscent of older RPG hits. Playing as an elite imperial soldier trying to protect their homeland, you'll get to explore a massive, fully detailed medieval empire filled with daring adventures, outlandish treasures and dramatic conflicts. Along the way, you'll have to contend with the likes of political corruption, zombie hordes, the onset of war and a game world that changes depending on your choices and actions. Get ready to pick a side on the stage of history. Will you be the one who saves Legionwood, or will you be the one who dooms it to an age of darkness?

Dice

From a critical stand point, there is no way you can criticize Survival games without also damning Tower Defense. The only real difference is that one is often open world and the other is level based.
So the only difference is a paradigm shift in structure and pacing. I see. How could I have possibly thought of them as fundamentally different experiences? What a hypocrite I am.

Dice
Grouchy
(Today, 12:58 PM)
I'd rather my simple communication be received as simple communication than an invitation to a needless smartass battle.

Tellaerin

Oh, I've got some indie games for you to "play."

Regardless, joking aside, tower defense is really a survival genre, all things considered. You usually have to survive waves of enemies, each time improving your abilities to better tackle the next wave.

Depends on what you characterize as a "survival game". I tend to think of games like Minecraft, where you're thrown into a hostile environment and are forced to scavenge for resources and craft tools and weapons you need to survive. Which mechanically feels nothing at all like a tower defense game to me.

morningbus

So the only difference is a paradigm shift in structure and pacing. I see. How could I have possibly thought of them as fundamentally different experiences? What a hypocrite I am.
Well considering how pacing and structure can be different between games of the same genre, I'm not really sure of your point.

So far it just seems you want to be angry.

Dice

Well considering how pacing and structure can be different between games of the same genre, I'm not really sure of your point.
So you're saying that wandering around in the woods with this forest game or in Minecraft or DayZ or Thomas Was Alone or some such is basically the same experience as Sanctum 2, just because you are "surviving against odds" in both? So similarly, in fact, that given how genres can range, that it's really hard to determine at all what I even mean?

Well then... sorry. If you can't tell what I mean just by looking at the games, I don't think there is any amount of description I can offer to help you out. And I'm not angry with the games, I was just saying they are boring. I do get a bit pissy when I sense someone is intentionally missing my point just to stir shit, but maybe you aren't.

Dr Dogg

Why on earth are hacking mini games always so detached from the confines of logic. If you could break any cryptographic security by essentially playing Frogger then none of your bank accounts are safe!

man this game never goes on sale ive been waiting years to pick it up

Probably to catch all the people Paradox has screwed over with the near constant stream off DLC their "Complete" pack no longer contains.

If it's a special edition 'bundle' like the banner saga one, it's doubtful.

I kinda get why people were miffed about it... but $15 is about the lowest that game has been on sale anyway... so you can give $15 to charity and get a copy of the game? That's not as terrible as people make it out to be.

Sure, it's not "Banner Saga for $1!!!!!", but 50% off might be the lowest it's gone outside of Nuuvem:

Code:
Store	         Lowest Recorded
Nuuvem	         $12.90	
GameFly PC  $16.69
GamersGate	 $19.99
GOG	         $16.74
GMG                $16.74
GameStop     $19.99
Steam	 	$16.74
Uplay PC	$16.74

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
I kinda get why people were miffed about it... but $15 is about the lowest that game has been on sale anyway... so you can give $15 to charity and get a copy of the game? That's not as terrible as people make it out to be.

Sure, it's not "Banner Saga for $1!!!!!", but 50% off might be the lowest it's gone outside of Nuuvem:

I think a lot of people were disappointed by Banner Saga being the only full game in the bundle. I think it was a missed opportunity for it to have not been a $15 tier along with other games at lower tiers or in the same tier.

Then again I'm pretty cheap when it comes to bundles.

Team 17 bundle? I'll pass on that one too.

Turfster

Humble Team 17 bundle
TIER 1: 1$
  • Superfrog HD
  • Worms Blast
  • Worms Crazy Golf
  • Worms Pinball
  • Worms Ultimate Mayhem
TIER 2: 6$
  • Worms Armageddon
TIER 3: 10$
  • Worms Clan Wars
  • Worms Revolution Gold
  • Alien Breed: Impact
  • Alien Breed 2: Assault
  • Alien Breed 3: Assault

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
While Worms Crazy Golf is the best golf game on Steam, I doubt this bundle will sell much a second time around.

morningbus

So you're saying that wandering around in the woods with this forest game or in Minecraft or DayZ or Thomas Was Alone or some such is basically the same experience as Sanctum 2, just because you are "surviving against odds" in both? So similarly, in fact, that given how genres can range, that it's really hard to determine at all what I even mean?

Well then... sorry. If you can't tell what I mean just by looking at the games, I don't think there is any amount of description I can offer to help you out. And I'm not angry with the games, I was just saying they are boring. I do get a bit pissy when I sense someone is intentionally missing my point just to stir shit, but maybe you aren't.

I don't really see what makes tower defense games that different than a survival game like the Forest. What is that different? You aren't limited to a small play field? The waves of enemies are preceded by a countdown? You don't get upgrades through a store, but through resource management? That there is resource management beyond being awarded points you can spend at the store?

It just sounds like someone who hates burritos but loves tacos to me.

The other genres I said were like survival games were obvious jokes, like boat simulator, but I'm just trying to have fun here, not trying to force you to like survival games. Regardless, your response to anything I've said in this thread, even if I were just being a smartass, was kind of disproportionate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom