• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caerith

If they have a leg to stand on legally, they should go after G2A directly. Cancelling already sold keys is just hurting the customers that probably didn't know any better and just saw a good deal. I don't think that is the right thing to do.

Not everyone knows that they are unauthorized resellers and sites like G2A are heavily promoted on a lot of deal sites.
Cancelling keys does hurt the customers, but as long as those customers can get refunds it's probably the best course of action. G2A would lose the money from the sale (having to refund it to the customer) and gains repute as selling bad keys, thus losing future business.

Is this site legit?

http://www.mygamekeys.net/

Was checking for a Dead Space 3 price that beats the current origin sale and came across it.
If you have to ask, it probably isn't. I've never heard of it before, and the word "my" in the URL seems kinda second-rate.

Zafir

If you google "buy Dead Space key" for example, the first hit for me is a site that aggregates offers from key resellers. How often do you see people come here and ask if a certain reseller is legit?

I'm not defending key resellers, I just think it's a problem analogous to piracy and devs/pubs should either go for the sites directly or just deal with it by offering a better product/service than those sites do.
The problem is it's a areas of grey. Some sellers will sell stolen keys or keys they have obtained in unscrupulous ways like the humble bundle fiasco. But other's are just selling keys from bought retail copies (gamekeysnow is a good example, they even have videos showing them taking the keys out of retail copies), which is still unauthorised, but you'd probably be fairly safe to buy from.

Just Tiny & Big and Awesomenauts DLC left

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 11 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Last Baron, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Tiny & Big in Grandpa's Leftovers -- MB-D1E05389662FCB0B
Awesomenauts Cluck Costume -- MB-ACD9F6BD49BB586A

t1400276039z1.png

Zafir

How is buying from TF2outpost and traders any different from using those sites? Honest question. Both are just reselling bundle keys.

Well. It's not if you're getting keys. However if you're trading through Steams trading system, then you are covered. Steam support can get what you traded back or activate the gift if you traded for a revoked gift, for example from what I've heard and you're not breaking the T&C by trading.

Is there any reason that dead space 2 is rarely on sale? It's the only game of the main series that I'm missing but I swear i haven't seen it on sale in years. I'm even willing to settle for an origin key at this point, it's that bad, haha.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Is there any reason that dead space 2 is rarely on sale? It's the only game of the main series that I'm missing but I swear i haven't seen it on sale in years. I'm even willing to settle for an origin key at this point, it's that bad, haha.

It has gone on sale for US$5 multiple times.

Grief.exe

what happened to the patch for metal gear rising? Still no higher resolution options

The justification from Platinum for that restriction was hilarious.

They checked the Steam hardware survey and saw that less than 10% of users were using >1080p monitors so decided to support those resolutions. Obviously they are not aware of down sampling, or future proofing. PC has infinite backwards compatibility, what happens in 5 or 10 years when people are trying to play MGR on 1440p/4K/8K monitors?

_hekk05

Banned
Do you have your inventory set to private? I found I don't get anymore random begging/scam PMs when I don't.

Its public. I know cus just 2 weeks ago some dude trade requested me for a dota 2 item. He wanted to complete his set and I think I got the better end of the deal too.

I also have 2 real life friends who play l4d2 and dota 2 with me \(^▽^@)ノ

Turfster

It was on a humble bundle. Give one tf2 key, receive origin key. Done.

Yeah... no.
Then you're basically doing the same thing as buying it from a shadyasscdkeys.notarealurl reselling jerk, although for slightly less =p
There's a difference (subtle, I'll grant you, but still significant) between buying a Steam game from a cheaper region (where most of the money actually went to the developer), and giving someone money for something they bought with 5 other games for a dollar.

Cancelling keys does hurt the customers, but as long as those customers can get refunds it's probably the best course of action. G2A would lose the money from the sale (having to refund it to the customer) and gains repute as selling bad keys, thus losing future business.
If Devolver are in the right, they should go after G2A directly. If not, what right do they even have to cancel those keys? I don't know what the legal situation is with reselling bundle keys, to be honest.
Well. It's not if you're getting keys. However if you're trading through Steams trading system, then you are covered. Steam support can get what you traded back or activate the gift if you traded for a revoked gift, for example from what I've heard and you're not breaking the T&C by trading.

Look at steamtrades for example. You can trade TF2 keys for old Humble Bundle keys and people don't seem to have too much of a problem with it.

Buying games with stolen credit cards and so on is an entirely different matter, but I believe that is more an exception than the rule.

They checked the Steam hardware survey and saw that less than 10% of users were using >1080p monitors so decided to support those resolutions. Obviously they are not aware of down sampling, or future proofing. PC has infinite backwards compatibility, what happens in 5 or 10 years when people are trying to play MGR on 1440p/4K/8K monitors?
That sounds like Japanese developers to me. They tend to hit a specific hardware/resolution target and not design things with expandibility/modification/future proofing in mind.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Was this posted yet?
This should clear up the "is g2a (and its sisters like kinguin) a good place to buy games from" question once and for all for the people that still doubted us naysayers =p

welp

MisterM

I saw that Devolver G2A conversation the other day. The worst part was where the G2A rep said something along the lines of 'yeah, so we will still offer great deals'.

Disgraceful.

I had a friend over yesterday who is mainly plays console games. He wanted to try CSGO on my Steambox. I said sure but you'll probably have difficulty using a controller against people who are using a mouse. He then proceeds to place 1st in the next five games. What!?

BruteUA

How is buying from TF2outpost and traders any different from using those sites? Honest question. Both are just reselling bundle keys.

This really can't be stressed enough, and it even gives a warning in the trade window itself. If the game you are trading for is not a Steam Gift that appears in the trade window (a product key/serial/Humble gift link/anything that is promised to be sent after you provide payment), you are pretty much waiving your right to recourse. Like Zafir said, it the game is revoked because it was originally purchased fraudulently or whatever, Steam Support will give you back whatever items you traded for it. I know that these warnings make it sound like the trade market is the Mos Eisley of e-commerce and it's a scary place to do business, but it's not bad at all if you follow the rules to protect yourself.

Zafir

Look at steamtrades for example. You can trade TF2 keys for old Humble Bundle keys and people don't seem to have too much of a problem with it.

Buying games with stolen credit cards and so on is an entirely different matter, but I believe that is more an exception than the rule.
Well, it's not as if they can easily clamp down on it with so many people doing it, and people are happy enough buying/trading because it still ends up being cheaper even after the sellers cut.

People just want the best deals.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So, a number of years ago, circa 2011, EviLore posted this thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=451542

The purpose was to ban CD key reseller sites from being discussed on GAF. His logic was that since it was essentially impossible to determine the provenance of the keys they were selling (could be stolen, could be taken off of foreign retail copies, could be taken off foreign retail copies and double-sold, could require VPN activation, could be unauthorized resale) and there was essentially no liability or accountability mechanism, people would be likely to fall for it, get themselves in trouble, or lose access to their games. I suspect from EL's perspective it's also a liability issue for him that he wants to avoid.

That basically ended the issue for a few years, but lately I've noticed that an awful lot of people have been basically wandering in here to say "LOL is dis $10 key for a new retail game I found on RussiaKeyz.ru real? Well bot it newayz". It's sort of a support issue, it takes up a lot of posts in the thread, So this is me taking the opportunity to remind people that our stance site-wide is not to use those services and not to post them here. No one is going to get banned, obviously, since the crux of the issue is people not understanding the nature of the services, but just a reminder that we're asking people not to discuss them.

If you still plan on buying from those sites, by all means, it's your money and your account and don't let me stop you. But we've added several of the biggest key resale sites to GAF's block list and trying to post their URLs will result in them being ******ed out. I won't be providing a list of the URLs that we're blocking. This should also not be taken as an indication that sites we haven't blocked are somehow legit and there will probably be more names added to the list as it continues to come up.

Grief.exe

The purpose was to ban CD key reseller sites from being discussed on GAF. His logic was that since it was essentially impossible to determine the provenance of the keys they were selling (could be stolen, could be taken off of foreign retail copies, could be taken off foreign retail copies and double-sold, could require VPN activation, could be unauthorized resale) and there was essentially no liability or accountability mechanism, people would be likely to fall for it, get themselves in trouble, or lose access to their games. I suspect from EL's perspective it's also a liability issue for him that he wants to avoid.

Seems like good logic to me. Exactly what Base was trying to explain the other day to the guy who was having issues.

Relevant in 2011 as it is now.

Volimar

I am SO BUYING THIS once it goes up. I will only quickly try it and then wait for full version, but I want to support these devs ASAP.

Same here. Hoping for a lot more functionality if they get enough early support.

Is it bad that I would buy Our Darker Purpose instantly if it had Steam achievments but as of now I am debating getting it?

If I'm on the fence about a game, its lack of steam cards is usually enough to put it in the no category.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Yeah, I love Titanfall, but it feels like the game is slowly bleeding dry. Respawn's not doing enough, and it's doing it too slowly. I want to pick up the Season Pass, but I'm wary the game will be dead by the time the second or third map pack rolls out.

On a slightly related note, this talk of the Halo: Master Chief Collection has renewed hope that we'll be seeing a PC release too. Chances are slim, but dammit, they'd have all of my money. :(

Drop the price to $15. Re-add in CTF.

?????

Still not buying until it's "On the House"
PROFIT.

legacyzero

Banned

That basically ended the issue for a few years, but lately I've noticed that an awful lot of people have been basically wandering in here to say "LOL is dis $10 key for a new retail game I found on RussiaKeyz.ru real? Well bot it newayz". It's sort of a support issue, it takes up a lot of posts in the thread, So this is me taking the opportunity to remind people that our stance site-wide is not to use those services and not to post them here. No one is going to get banned, obviously, since the crux of the issue is people not understanding the nature of the services, but just a reminder that we're asking people not to discuss them.

If you still plan on buying from those sites, by all means, it's your money and your account and don't let me stop you. But we've added several of the biggest key resale sites to GAF's block list and trying to post their URLs will result in them being ******ed out. I won't be providing a list of the URLs that we're blocking. This should also not be taken as an indication that sites we haven't blocked are somehow legit and there will probably be more names added to the list as it continues to come up.
People still risk that shit?

If it's too good to be true, etc, etc.

Anteater

Yeah I don't think they quite get it, I hope they also read that sega petition in full especially the "preservation" part.

Turfster

Japanese companies aren't very good at forward thinking.
You'd be amazed how many companies didn't keep source code and assets for games they made, for example.

Japanese companies aren't very good at forward thinking.
You'd be amazed how many companies didn't keep source code and assets for games they made, for example.

That's no different to the British Broadcasting Corporation not having many old episodes of treasured television programmes e.g. Doctor Who, Dad's Army as they used the tape for new content.

I really wish we would leave the nationality out of such discussions. I am far from politically correct but the prevailing attitude of many here of "Japanese devs suck" really sits poorly with me.

Turfster

That's no different to the British Broadcasting Corporation not having many old episodes of treasured television programmes e.g. Doctor Who, Dad's Army as they used the tape for new content.

I really wish we would leave the nationality out of such discussions. I am far from politically correct but the prevailing attitude of many here of "Japanese devs suck" really sits poorly with me.
Eh, I didn't mean it as "Japanese devs suck", I'm just stating known facts.
Also, there's a difference between early 70s TV series on bulky, expensive perishable tapes and digital game data, which is a much more recent industry with lower storage space requirements. They had to extract the files back out of the PS2 version of Kingdom Hearts to do the HD remix, for example, a game from 2002, and this is far from the only such example.
I'm sure there's western examples too, but most such stories come from the east =p

Eh, I didn't mean it as "Japanese devs suck", I'm just stating known facts.
Also, there's a difference between early 70s TV series on bulky, expensive perishable tapes and digital game data, which is a much more recent industry with lower storage space requirements. They had to extract the files back out of the PS2 version of Kingdom Hearts to do the HD remix, for example, a game from 2002, and this is far from the only such example.
I'm sure there's western examples too, but most such stories come from the east =p

Working in the tech industry, it seems pretty common and almost required that companies (in the US at least) have to use some sort of versioning software to track changes and such. I think ISO standards require it. So when I hear that some company (Japanese or not) seems to have lost the source code for one of their most well known products, I'm just baffled. Not only at how they lost such a valuable asset, but at the marvel that somehow they managed to produce a working game without having that sort of control mechanism in place.

fallout

I don't think that leaving nationality out of it makes sense when there are cultural differences that can lead to this sort of thing. E.g., Japan is still a very paper-based working culture. This may have changed in the past 5 years, but at least a decade ago, many developers were still filing bug reports on paper.

I'm not a fan of gross generalizations, but culture definitely has an impact.

Pakkidis

Bought the humble bundle

Here are some keys

ModBot said:
Instructions for Pakkidis:

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Awesomenauts -- MB-C270FF5741EF6635 - Taken by Madridista
Dear Esther -- MB-E769D89A82B4A073 - Taken by Evrain
Thomas Was Alone -- MB-0E66C22F3EDE994D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom