• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please take these

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (trailmix16, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Awesomnauts- -- MB-C76B720D9356B2E1 - Taken by Sammichu. 2 entrants total.
Tiny Inferno- -- MB-E4AE76BD62563E3C - Taken by Purkake4. 3 entrants total.
Superfrog HD- -- MB-0B405AA6E3090861 - Taken by BernardoOne. 2 entrants total.
Lonely Tom- -- MB-5C848EF3B2FABD93 - Taken by Ingueferroque. 2 entrants total.
Gun Monkeys- -- MB-BDB4AC421A5374E2 - Taken by Leg-End. 1 entrants total.

t1400351114z1.png

messed around with battleblock yesterday and I can't wait to play it locally with a bud. shit is dumb

Yeah I feel like that's the way it has to be played. Single player was enjoyable so far but once I started a level in local co-op
alone for an achievement
and saw that the levels actually changed the game made a lot more sense to me.

Ok interesting stuff. HumbleBundle got this new banner on their facebook page. Do you think they might hint at new bundles ? Or just random games on their store? At least Riptide is in there.

PzTBnFt.png

1. Dead Island Riptide
2. Worms
3. FTL
4. The Banner Saga
5. Hammerwatch
6. Universe Sandbox

So our of those six there is only FTL left, isn't it?
I guess that one may be a reharse of Humble Indie Bundle 9.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
I guess they're spacing out the good bundles to make people feel easier about spenting their money between the Humble Sale and the Daily Bundles . I would certainly feel bad if I spent $10 on Bundles everyday, even if my money went to charity

Scipius

In case anyone missed out on HB8 Rebundle, here's most of them again:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 10 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Awesomenauts Cluck Costume -- MB-25A691DCA78CC3D7
Capsized -- MB-AF771A04DE34A08C - Taken by PossumMeat. 3 entrants total.
Little Inferno -- MB-C48C0FED49CC498A - Taken by Emerson. 2 entrants total.
Dear Esther -- MB-10CE8E21BC136671 - Taken by FauX. 5 entrants total.
English Country Tune -- MB-00D716428E853FCC - Taken by PLASTICA-MAN. 2 entrants total.
Tiny and Big in Grandpa's Leftovers -- MB-B12BAD82CE1B565B - Taken by Gianni Merryman. 3 entrants total.
Oil Rush -- MB-79AA82D5676AFDD0 - Taken by Benedict. 2 entrants total.
Awesomenauts -- MB-B17ADE3A42153F27 - Taken by Zeliard. 2 entrants total.
Thomas Was Alone -- MB-CE5E821D42586B56 - Taken by Pop. 1 entrants total.
Intrusion 2 -- MB-BD01F9D7C5859F1A - Taken by KenOD. 4 entrants total.

t1400361729z1.png

Tellaerin

I don't really see what makes tower defense games that different than a survival game like the Forest. What is that different? You aren't limited to a small play field? The waves of enemies are preceded by a countdown? You don't get upgrades through a store, but through resource management? That there is resource management beyond being awarded points you can spend at the store?

It just sounds like someone who hates burritos but loves tacos to me.

The other genres I said were like survival games were obvious jokes, like boat simulator, but I'm just trying to have fun here, not trying to force you to like survival games. Regardless, your response to anything I've said in this thread, even if I were just being a smartass, was kind of disproportionate.

I'm not a big fan of tacos, but I love a good burrito. No lie. They're two different things. They have different textures (crunchy vs. soft), different flavors, different fillings (I don't particularly like lettuce). So that's probably a poor example. :p

There are fundamental differences between the survival and TD genres, in terms of both mechanics and focus.

In survival games, the emphasis is squarely on securing the resources you need to survive. You have to scavenge raw materials, find or make shelter, and craft tools and weapons to protect yourself from hostile creatures. The game is experienced through the player's avatar, reinforcing the theme of a lone character stranded in a hostile environment. Your view of the world is limited by your POV - being surprised by enemies you can't see coming is a real concern, making exploring your surroundings and finding somewhere safe to hole up a priority.

In a tower defense game, you're placing defensive weapons on a map to protect an installation from enemies trundling down a fixed number of possible routes. The challenge lies in figuring out the optimal placement of your weaponry to protect your base/crystal/whatever. Resource gathering mechanics are minimal or nonexistent, as you said. TD games are typically played from an overhead perspective, removing the element of the unknown. You don't need to explore unfamiliar terrain, and you're not going to be ambushed by something you couldn't see coming.

How in the world can you possibly equate these two things?

I don't really see what makes tower defense games that different than a survival game like the Forest. What is that different? You aren't limited to a small play field? The waves of enemies are preceded by a countdown? You don't get upgrades through a store, but through resource management? That there is resource management beyond being awarded points you can spend at the store?

It just sounds like someone who hates burritos but loves tacos to me.

The other genres I said were like survival games were obvious jokes, like boat simulator, but I'm just trying to have fun here, not trying to force you to like survival games. Regardless, your response to anything I've said in this thread, even if I were just being a smartass, was kind of disproportionate.
You can find mechanical similarities on a surface level but the thematic differences and the ways they engage the player are vastly different. You don't really hear of player stories about emergent situations in a TD game, they're practically puzzles in how they play out whereas survival games are more about roleplaying the scenario in either single player or multiplayer. You don't really get those moments of a guy making a video showing off his Minecraft crib only to have it end with him screaming as he sees the Creeper at the corner of his eyes blowing him up, or the dude who gathers up a tribe of pantsless followers in Rust that go around and forcing others into their crew by gunpoint, or being held hostage in the middle of the road in DayZ and having your friend shot in front of you while getting looted only for a mysterious Good Samaritan sniping your captor and setting you free.

Survival games are sandboxes first and foremost, TDs are far more structured in limited in terms of player agency. They both feature resource management and the ultimate basic goal of not getting your life to 0, but they're really nothing alike apart from that. Would you recommend a TD to someone looking for a survival game? That would be a bad idea. The title of the genre could be more specific, but it's pretty clear what the general concepts and themes of a survival game are looking at the games within it.

denx

So Arma 3... I played it only to be treated to janky animations, inconsistent server stability on mp, a run button that seemingly has a life of its own and menus where mouse controls don't work half of the time. Really impressive...

Slightly different, but has anybody purchased keys from GetGamesGo? They have the Far Cry series on discount and I would like to purchase the first two games. My only doubt being if these are the Steam versions or the Uplay ones. I would like the Steam ones.

Any information?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Slightly different, but has anybody purchased keys from GetGamesGo? They have the Far Cry series on discount and I would like to purchase the first two games. My only doubt being if these are the Steam versions or the Uplay ones. I would like the Steam ones.

Any information?

getgames is reliable, they do bundles also

Far Cry games are uplay tho, not steam

I wasn't really sure where else to post this, but I'm having a problem with steam lately that I don't really know how to fix. To put it simply, over the past week or so, my game icons have been disappearing. I usually use the grid icon system to explore my games, and most of games are just steam games, but the game icons for games I own are no longer showing up. They're just showing blank gray boxes with the title over them, and it seems like every time I look at steam, it happens to more and more titles.

Any advice please?

I wasn't really sure where else to post this, but I'm having a problem with steam lately that I don't really know how to fix. To put it simply, over the past week or so, my game icons have been disappearing. I usually use the grid icon system to explore my games, and most of games are just steam games, but the game icons for games I own are no longer showing up. They're just showing blank gray boxes with the title over them, and it seems like every time I look at steam, it happens to more and more titles.

Any advice please?

It's a client bug at the moment. Switch to he beta client in the options or just wait until it's probably fixed in the next release.

Volimar

So Arma 3... I played it only to be treated to janky animations, inconsistent server stability on mp, a run button that seemingly has a life of its own and menus where mouse controls don't work half of the time. Really impressive...

Just so you know, that's a hallmark of the series. Other than the incredible mods, the ArmA series have been really disappointing.

In my opinion anyway.

Zafir

Heh. I never even realised you can access the steam programs console, and through that check what subid your game is and apps/depots you have access to from it, also says when it was activated and payment method. Learn a new thing every day.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I'm not a big fan of tacos, but I love a good burrito. No lie. They're two different things. They have different textures (crunchy vs. soft), different flavors, different fillings (I don't particularly like lettuce). So that's probably a poor example. :p

Anything that can be put in a burrito can be put into a taco. I stand by the analogy. The analogy is strong. Any attempt to break it proves it stronger.

There are fundamental differences between the survival and TD genres, in terms of both mechanics and focus.

In survival games, the emphasis is squarely on securing the resources you need to survive. You have to scavenge raw materials, find or make shelter, and craft tools and weapons to protect yourself from hostile creatures. The game is experienced through the player's avatar, reinforcing the theme of a lone character stranded in a hostile environment. Your view of the world is limited by your POV - being surprised by enemies you can't see coming is a real concern, making exploring your surroundings and finding somewhere safe to hole up a priority.

In a tower defense game, you're placing defensive weapons on a map to protect an installation from enemies trundling down a fixed number of possible routes. The challenge lies in figuring out the optimal placement of your weaponry to protect your base/crystal/whatever. Resource gathering mechanics are minimal or nonexistent, as you said. TD games are typically played from an overhead perspective, removing the element of the unknown. You don't need to explore unfamiliar terrain, and you're not going to be ambushed by something you couldn't see coming.

How in the world can you possibly equate these two things?

Solid points, but I will say that I'm not taking every tower defense game and comparing it against every survival game. In my head, I'm thinking of Sanctum and, because it is what started the conversation, what I've seen of the Forest. Sanctum has you playing a more direct role in combat, which lends for a more direct comparison against your average survival game.

This does lead me to another question, though: what genre is a game like Killing Floor?

You can find mechanical similarities on a surface level but the thematic differences and the ways they engage the player are vastly different. You don't really hear of player stories about emergent situations in a TD game, they're practically puzzles in how they play out whereas survival games are more about roleplaying the scenario in either single player or multiplayer. You don't really get those moments of a guy making a video showing off his Minecraft crib only to have it end with him screaming as he sees the Creeper at the corner of his eyes blowing him up, or the dude who gathers up a tribe of pantsless followers in Rust that go around and forcing others into their crew by gunpoint, or being held hostage in the middle of the road in DayZ and having your friend shot in front of you while getting looted only for a mysterious Good Samaritan sniping your captor and setting you free.

Survival games are sandboxes first and foremost, TDs are far more structured in limited in terms of player agency. They both feature resource management and the ultimate basic goal of not getting your life to 0, but they're really nothing alike apart from that. Would you recommend a TD to someone looking for a survival game? That would be a bad idea. The title of the genre could be more specific, but it's pretty clear what the general concepts and themes of a survival game are looking at the games within it.

I agree and that's why I think survival games like those are more compelling than your average tower defense. But ultimately, both genres task me with more micromanagement than I generally care for personally.

Which is probably another thing too that helps make the connection in my head: I'm dismissive of both genres for the same reasons.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
That Watch Doggies review. It does say that the PC version might look better, though. This part is the best part:

One huge caveat/punishment Ubisoft implemented is when you do turn off the Online Option, all your skills accumulated are reset to zero. You read that right. They all get reset to zero. All the online-specific skills reset to zero as punishment for not wanting to play online, something which is entirely disappointing. Either you keep getting invaded, or you get punished for wanting to play sometimes and not other times with the online mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom