• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
The daily isn't worth it unless you want the Guilty Gear game for $1, but supposedly it isn't good. Since you own everything in the weekly other than Fly'N, it's not really worth it. The Doctor Who bundle might be worth it if you're a fan or want to become a fan of the franchise, but it's all comics.

if you go for the full $10 package, it's really not a bad deal. I paid a lot more than that for GG and Blade Symphony combined.

yuraya

99 Spirits is a fun little rpg game. Plus it comes with 15 cards 8 of which are drops. So you just about make your money back from the indiegala bundle by selling some cards. Not to mention there is few more days left for 99 spirits playfire cheevos and there are other games that come in the bundle.

Indiegala delivers! Very solid bundle.

Meanwhile Humblebundle must redeem themselves. Plenty of time left..I have faith in you humble. Don't disappoint anymore.

Grief.exe

From the Eurogamer Wolfenstein review

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-05-20-wolfenstein-the-new-order-review

The game begins as a very showy series of set-pieces, a prologue set toward the end of the war that has you pressing X to close a valve, X to pull a lever, or even X to climb into a plane's nose turret and shoot at Nazi jets. It's all very prescriptive, and although you soon have a gun in your hand and the freedom to run around shooting people, Wolfenstein: The New Order does like its set-pieces and cut-scenes. While the latter are often cheesy, the former throw up a few neat moments, including roping up the wall of a fortress and piloting an awesome giant robot.

All these scripted events mean that this is mostly a game on rails, taking you from point to point with the minimum of distractions, secrets or alternate routes. Though a few examples of these do exist, they won't keep you off the the path laid before you for very long. Later in the game, a rather obvious Easter egg makes it possible to play some of the original Wolfenstein 3D and the contrast between the two is remarkable. Its ancestor serves as a reminder of just how sprawling first-person shooters used to be, along with how much of their expanse was entirely superfluous, existing only to be explored. In comparison, Wolfenstein: The New Order, like many of its peers, is rigid and claustrophobic.

Pretty much what I expected. Yet utterly disappointing.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
A 99 Spirits PROTIP: Be sure to upgrade your gems when you get the chance to make the fights go faster.

Wolfenstein is nothing like Call of Duty, and its far more open than it could ever be. In the three chapters I've played through so far each level has had open areas with multiple pathways that you can take to your destination. And the game never rushes you forward, allowing you to take your time.

Quite a few of the reviews praise this aspect as well, so don't go by the one that is harsh :p

Wolf 3d has aged like shit and is the definition of maze level design. I'll take linear over shitty maze every time.

I play through older shooters--sometimes for the first time, sometimes to revisit--and I sort of agree. For example I wouldn't want to play a modern game with some of Star Wars: Dark Forces level design. There were some seriously obtuse sequences in some of the levels in that game.

Although I think there was a happy median between the sprawling maze designs of early shooters and the more guided experience that's typical in more modern shooters in the lat 90's/early 00's that's sort of been lost in recent years. While not a shooter, Dishonored tread that line between the two approaches fairly well.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Vanguard Princess -- MB-E91A8FE07EFB1933 - Taken by BorntoPlay. 2 entrants total.
Ether Vapor Remaster -- MB-3195B6D1D29E5A08 - Taken by factorone. 1 entrants total.

t1400561333z1.png

Grief.exe

When I posted that I wasn't referencing Wolf 3D, but more of the Starbreeze developers that make up much of the Wolfenstein team.

Riddick, and Darkness to an extent weren't just a series of straight corridors and set pieces. You were often left to your own devices in a situation, or dropped into a huge area with multiple pathways to success.

Ultimately, that is what leaves me feeling disappointed.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
if you go for the full $10 package, it's really not a bad deal. I paid a lot more than that for GG and Blade Symphony combined.

True. It's at least $5 off Blade Symphony if you do go for the highest tier.

Wow, so Bad Rat cards are going for... why are they so high?

Some people, for whatever strange reason, want the badges, and even the higher levels of badges for Bad Rats. Because who wouldn't want this amazingly detailed badge:
Bad_Rats_Badge_05.png

When I posted that I wasn't referencing Wolf 3D, but more of the Starbreeze developers that make up much of the Wolfenstein team.

Riddick, and Darkness to an extent weren't just a series of straight corridors and set pieces. You were often left to your own devices in a situation, or dropped into a huge area with multiple pathways to success.

Wolfenstein NO isn't hub based but from the four hours I've played nearly every level has been open and had multiple pathways throughout, many of which are missable. It really isn't a railroaded experience, although I'm sure there will be climatic battles where it is.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Do they auto ID the spirits you've fought before? If so then I'll have to try slogging through until I can upgrade my gems.

You can upgrade your gems so you get five hints when you activate the ability. You can also upgrade it so the abilities charge faster, and are available as soon as they finish charging rather than waiting for an Attack or Defense cycle to end. Not quite a win button, but mitigates a bit of the tediousness.

I've only just gotten to where I can start using enemy abilities as well, so that should give some more options for quicker/more interesting fights, hopefully.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
You can upgrade your gems so you get five hints when you activate the ability. You can also upgrade it so the abilities charge faster, and are available as soon as they finish charging rather than waiting for an Attack or Defense cycle to end. Not quite a win button, but mitigates a bit of the tediousness.

I've only just gotten to where I can start using enemy abilities as well, so that should give some more options for quicker/more interesting fights, hopefully.

How far do you have to go before you can upgrade gems? It's been a while since I played but I think I just got my fourth gem.

Servizio

How far do you have to go before you can upgrade gems? It's been a while since I played but I think I just got my fourth gem.

You should be able to upgrade already then, you just have to go to Tamagami Shrine and you should be at the upgrade character instantly.

Knurek

I've heard nothing but bad things about Indie Gala. Then again it was from another bundle's engineers, but they said some pretty damning stuff. Enough so that I'd never buy a bundle from them again.

It's weird that nobody picked up this post.
Chuby, could you maybe elaborate? While IG does have some bad things going on (amateurish web design, newletter emails that flag just about any spam filter out there, 'Italian' customer support team), this is the first time I hear someone talking about boycotting their service altogether.
Which is moreso weird, considering they seem to be a legit business (dat EU VAT hike), with a load of unique bundles.

I play through older shooters--sometimes for the first time, sometimes to revisit--and I sort of agree. For example I wouldn't want to play a modern game with some of Star Wars: Dark Forces level design. There were some seriously obtuse sequences in some of the levels in that game.

I definitely liked the Coruscant bank puzzle; nothing was really that obtuse in the late-game, aside from maybe exploring parts of the Arc Hammer. Nar Shaddaa was plain frustrating to go through at all, and the Detention Facility at first seems difficult to navigate.

Although I think there was a happy median between the sprawling maze designs of early shooters and the more guided experience that's typical in more modern shooters in the lat 90's/early 00's that's sort of been lost in recent years. While not a shooter, Dishonored tread that line between the two approaches fairly well.
The new Wolfenstein seems to tread closer to early-oughties mechanics and mapping conventions, even having some of the slower run speeds a game like Jedi Outcast suffers from. Of course, that was the time period the first Chronicles of Riddick game came out during.

This Eurogamer review doesn't seem to have been corroborated on the linearity claim. From what I've made of the incoming reviews, it's not as exploratory as Hexen, but not as likely to railroad as most of its competitors.

Servizio

Quickly, my GAFfodills, what cheap ass badge can I craft? That is no Costume Quest 2?

For Two Fiddy?

Doesn't Enhanced Steam have some feature that lists badges by value? Or am I thinking of some website? Or maybe a potential feature that was under discussion?

Possibly a Steam fever dream.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Quickly, my GAFfodills, what cheap ass badge can I craft? That is no Costume Quest 2?

For Two Fiddy?

You can get a Rogue Legacy badge for something like $0.50.

Doesn't Enhanced Steam have some feature that lists badges by value? Or am I thinking of some website? Or maybe a potential feature that was under discussion?

Possibly a Steam fever dream.

I know there's a feature that lets you sort by highest drop value, not sure if it's an Enhanced Steam or normal Steam feature anymore since I haven't used normal Steam in my browser for a while.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I honestly don't remember, but it was a very expensive card they had planned on releasing for a long while. The 290 release put the performance to shame and made the price look like a scam.

This also happened fairly recently. Maybe someone will be able to provide some more details.

It wasn't the 290 but the 295X2 ($1500 for 2x 290X on a single card, representing a premium of $400) that lead Nvidia to "indefinitely delay" its grossly-overpriced Titan Z ($3000 for 2x Titan Black on a single card, representing a premium of $1000).

Milamber

Someone is livestreaming Watch_Dawgs on PS3 right now and I'm just checking it out to see what fidelity of graphics I'm up against for the PC version.

LOL stunt jumps!? C'mon!

I didn't know you could destroy salvaged containers of Meld, found that out the hard way try to keep one of my flanked squad members alive. With a grenade.

Gvaz

Banned
Someone is livestreaming Watch_Dawgs on PS3 right now and I'm just checking it out to see what fidelity of graphics I'm up against for the PC version.

LOL stunt jumps!? C'mon!

Rad!

I hope it's not taken down, i want to see the game I paid for now, rather than later.

Giveaway time!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Gateways -- MB-4F82601FFA427694 - Taken by topyy
Midnight Mysteries -- MB-A070DA2DF956CA0B - Taken by Deques

I definitely liked the Coruscant bank puzzle; nothing was really that obtuse in the late-game, aside from maybe exploring parts of the Arc Hammer. Nar Shaddaa was plain frustrating to go through at all, and the Detention Facility at first seems difficult to navigate.

The new Wolfenstein seems to tread closer to early-oughties mechanics and mapping conventions, even having some of the slower run speeds a game like Jedi Outcast suffers from. Of course, that was the time period the first Chronicles of Riddick game came out during.

This Eurogamer review doesn't seem to have been corroborated on the linearity claim. From what I've made of the incoming reviews, it's not as exploratory as Hexen, but not as likely to railroad as most of its competitors.

The Detention Facility threw me for a loop. So ridiculous, you have to trundle through the entire level, nab some key and then backtrack all the way back to the beginning to a door that you could have easily missed. Nar Shadda was a non-sensical maze. Level and puzzle design like that I don't miss. I kind of get that pic that some people post when discussing old and newer shooters but at the same time, I don't miss the old coloured key/locked door shenanigans of yesteryear.

I'm on the fence with the new Wolfenstein, even if I am morbidly curious about what the new Doom will be like. I would've liked to be in the beta, just not at a 60$ price for a game I am unsure about. Interested to see how it all shakes out in the coming weeks.

Edit: Total Biscuit has a WTF is... up for Wolfenstein.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AduQvX4nU0k

Dambrosi

Banned
Gala extras:
ModBot said:
Instructions for Dambrosi:
Yes, indeed, you ARE a Bad enough Dude to rescue the President.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

99 Spirits -- MB-F26E11462D93D674 - Taken by SalsaShark
Vanguard Princess -- MB-E36AF2E1CDB3CAEF - Taken by -MD-
War Of The Human Tanks -- MB-56C4BA9386C8CADC - Taken by Cloudius12
Ether Vapor Remaster -- MB-BEAEA4C0FE24FD1E - Taken by Jive Turkey

I actually really like what I see in the Total Biscuit playthrough of Wolfenstein. Game doesn't look like a straight up corridor crawler and the gameplay looks pretty ridiculous compared to most of the modern military shooters we see on the regular now. Dual wielding assault rifles, ripping turrets off of their stations, a slide move like Bulletstorm's although toned down so it's not as fast and doesn't move as far. There's even health overcharge and armor pick ups (hello Doom and Quake).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom