• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

fantomena

Unfortunately, the price paid for the richness and depth of the game’s combat system is a loss of accessibility. If Bastion’s simplistic button mashing left some hardened gamers cold, then Transistor’s complexity threatens to overwhelm the more casual player.

Seriously? This dude lol. Sounds like the reviewer doesn't like a bit more advanced combat system. 1 button seems to be perfect for the reviewer.

This is what the Review says. They say it gets more and more complex later on.

Are you far trough the game or just 1-2 hours in?

Not sure. Personally, I wont say its' too complex. A bit complex it is, but it's part of the fun.

Cth

Just posted a very extensive photo diary review of Sony's Afrika for PS3. Which explains why I haven't played any PC games for a week. It's weird how there are absolutely no photo games on Steam. Pokemon Snap is Nintendo-exclusive, Endless Ocean is Wii exclusive, Afrika and Aquanaut's Holidays are both on PS3 only. Sealife Safari was just on XBLA. I have Reef Shot in some turd bundle, so hopefully that's Greenlit and released on Steam soon. I love photo games.

Fun game, I just wish the save/load process was faster.

Dr Dogg

wow...we're going to complain about 'too complex' now?

That's what most of the reviews said about W101 and that game has probably the easiest to pick up combat system of PlatinumGames' mechanics.

As it should always be said only get opinions from people you know and trust. I'd take a Stump or Dusk thorough analysis of a game any day than a professional review. As would I like reading an Adventure of Copons or a Mr Poolman Dark Souls Diary than watch a YouTuber. Stallion's what I like/dislike/indifferent views break a game down into simple chunks better than any score can do.

I was hoping that Transistor would be more than a "flawed gem," but at least it's not terrible. Plus according to that review, the music is good, which is definitely a plus. Hopefully other reviews will come out soon.

At this point, I'll listen to the soundtrack soon, and will buy the game on sale for 66%-75% or if it's bundled in the future. I was honestly going to do that in the first place, so not much of a loss.
That review is just weird. The content does not match the "flawed gem" label. The review praises everything, the story, the art, the music, the combat, the varied enemies, how it's almost puzzle-like in figuring out how to approach a situation. The only "flaw" is that it's "too complex" for causal players. So not a flaw at all

SummitAve

Banned
That review is just weird. The content does not match the "flawed gem" label. The review praises everything, the story, the art, the music, the combat, the varied enemies, how it's almost puzzle-like in figuring out how to approach a situation. The only "flaw" is that it's "too complex" for causal players. So not a flaw at all

How do you know it's not a flaw at all? I'd like to hear your other impressions from the game since you have clearly played it.

How do you know it's not a flaw at all?
Maybe it is a flaw. Maybe the game is so complex to the point of overwhelming. But the review isn't even saying that. It's saying that there's a learning curve and it takes time to understand the combat and mechanics. In general, I don't see being complex and having a learning curve that may be steep for causal players as a flaw. Like I play IOS games a lot and whenever I see a review dock a point because a game is too hard for casuals or is "too" difficult, I find that pretty ridiculous. Games don't have to appeal to everyone

This is from the review
However, its inherent obtuseness sometimes makes it a difficult game to love. Those with the persistence to learn the intricacies of its battle system and really get under the skin of its universe will find themselves richly rewarded but those made of less stern stuff may find the game somewhat wearying.
Okay, so the game requires patience and some actual skill and focus to learn how it works and how to improve. How is that a flaw?

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

The review definitely focuses more on the combat than the other aspects of the game, praising pretty much everything else except for it. I'm interested in hearing more impressions, and I'll form a real final opinion on the game whenever I do play it in the future, though that may take years knowing the rate I finish games.
I'll probably end up really enjoying it like I did with Bastion.

Grabbed Age of Mythology from Humble. Never played an 'age' game before. Tell me I did good Gaf?

You did okay. No idea on the extended edition, but the original was an okay game, so you probably could have bought far worse games with that money.

Just posted a very extensive photo diary review of Sony's Afrika for PS3. Which explains why I haven't played any PC games for a week. It's weird how there are absolutely no photo games on Steam. Pokemon Snap is Nintendo-exclusive, Endless Ocean is Wii exclusive, Afrika and Aquanaut's Holidays are both on PS3 only. Sealife Safari was just on XBLA. I have Reef Shot in some turd bundle, so hopefully that's Greenlit and released on Steam soon. I love photo games.

You probably already know this game but I believe you can take photos on World of Diving.

Knurek

It's weird how there are absolutely no photo games on Steam. Pokemon Snap is Nintendo-exclusive, Endless Ocean is Wii exclusive, Afrika and Aquanaut's Holidays are both on PS3 only. Sealife Safari was just on XBLA. I have Reef Shot in some turd bundle, so hopefully that's Greenlit and released on Steam soon. I love photo games.

You could argue that Skyrim is all PC gamers need for photo games, especially after browsing the PC screenshot thread.

Dr Dogg

You probably already know this game but I believe you can take photos on World of Diving.

Well to be pedantic technically on a PC you can take pics of any game. Ok granted some it doesn't really fit within the theme but something like Dear Esther deserves to stop and take in the scenery. The Vanishing of Ethan Carter is something I'm keeping a very close eye on for the same reason.

Arthea

Here's the review (courtesy of Mo'_B) if you want to give it a look-over, but it seems like they wanted that sort of 1-button combat and instead had to deal with tactics and decisionmaking.

From this description combat sounds good, or interesting, or worth time investment. And yes, he's unhappy it's not Bastion 2. It has nothing to do with said complexity, that's how I see it, at least.

More than one button? Too confusing.

Give us our Assassin's Creed and Skyrim.

well played (><)

Haven't you played Fatal Frame games? they are amazing "photo" games.

rac

Banned
Watching the GB quick look of wolfenstein really made me want to play a shooter. Then I remembered shadow warrior was on sale, is it worth it?

Grief.exe

Game Reactor put up a reveiw of Transistor before embargo and quickly took it down. Here is the Google Cached version.

As we embark on our second playthrough of Super Giant Games's sophomore effort Transistor we do so with much more enthusiasm than we felt during our first hours of the initial session. Not because we weren't excited to experience the adventures of voiceless singer Red in Cloudbank City, but rather because Transistor is a game that it takes a little getting to know well before it lets you in on its secrets. In an effort to innovate and change many of the principles we've grown accustomed to, perhaps Super Giant went a little too far and forgot about making the player feel in full control.

It's not that the game is overly challenging. We only died once during that first playthrough (mainly, because we went overboard with the limiters - more on that later), it's rather that the complexity and depth of the systems aren't fully revealed until we're half-way through the game and when we've really warmed up to it the game is over. Then again it's a game that was always designed for multiple playthroughs. It's even built into the narrative and theme of the game.

There is something almost postmodern about Transistor. There is no main menu. You simply start the game from the start screen, it autosaves as you go along and you cannot manually save a file or load it. At the start of the game we find the main character - Red - a singer who has lost her voice next to a body with a giant talking sword sticking out of it. You pick up the sword and off you go. Cloudbank City is being wiped from existence courtesy of the Process, a viral infection brought down by an elusive group known as The Camerata. Red won't take the sword's (Transistor) advice to leave town, but instead sets out to find the members of The Camerata as the city is crumbling to exact revenge. There is no rollercoaster of a plot here, it's pretty straight forward story of revenge and you learn more about the characters involved as Transistor absorbs their essence or soul if you will.

If you've played Super Giant Games' first title Bastion you'll be familiar with the narrative technique. Transistor comments on certain things you do, while leading you on your way. If you happen to stray or take a wrong turn, he'll let you know. In addition to the narration that takes place as you journey through Cloudbank City there is also additional tidbits you find at terminals throughout the place and you unlock background files on the characters by using their associated functions (skills) in various ways.

The narration is accompanied by wonderfully jazzy tunes that makes for a soundscape that ranks among the best in video games. Even if Transistor is a visual tour de force, we'd go as far as saying you're better off playing this game blindfolded rather than with the sound muted.

It's a predictably dark story, but it's one that never offers any dramatic highs or lows, we're sort of just jogging along at the same pace throughout the journey. That said we really appreciate the narrative technique and how everything feels carefully thought out. If the story is somewhat uneventful, it's the combat that will keep you coming back for more. While it's difficult to get into at first, there's tremendous depth as the combat evolves with each function you unlock. There are 14 functions in total and you can place them in an active slot (an attack or skill you use either in real-time or queue up during the tactical phase), a passive slot providing you with a boost or as an upgrade to an active skill that tweaks how this skill works. This allows for tremendous variation between four active slots with two upgrade slots each and four passive slots. Add to this a system of limiters that allow for quicker XP gain, while giving up distinct disadvantage in combat.

Another reason why it's difficult to get into Transistor is the fact that it doesn't make use of the traditional HP and Mana bars. Sure there is HP, but you never see the actual numbers and the main concern in losing health is that one of your functions will overload if it hits zero, severly crippling your offensive efforts.

Super Giant Games clearly opted against forcing the player to start out the game with a tutorial, instead there are Backdoors spread out in the city that lets you access some sort of dreamy vacation island with doors that lead to challenges. As these challenges are unlocked you'll be introduced to a number of upcoming functions and you're also given tasks that require precise actions (speed tests, planning tests), when you reach your third backdoor you're given access to a test room where you can freely switch around your functions (typically you have to do this at terminals inside the game world) and so you can come up with new combinations. We would have preferred to have been free to switch functions around on the fly, but seeing as overloaded functions are your penalty for not doing well it makes sense even if it's a little cumbersome.

Super Giant Games avoids the dreaded sophomore slump, and Transistor is certainly a game any fan of turn-based tactical RPGs should take a closer look at. It's beautiful, memorable, highly replayable, deep, stellar from a sound perspective, but ultimately falls just short of the high bar set by Bastion. Maybe it will grow even more on us by the time we set out on our third playthrough, but this is where it lands today.

We played Transistor on PlayStation 4 for review purposes. All review screens have been captured with the built-in "share" functionality.

iLNX2J8.png

The closer I get to the end of Darksiders 2 the more it crashes, like it doesn't want me to leave. Also, no wonder I was able to get the Belial DLC for 2 cards, it stinks.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I noticed compression almost immediately on the Wolfenstein cutscenes. Checked the folder and there are 5 gb of pre-rendered videos. I want real-time cutscenes. The fuck is this shit.

ibtdH04qIvyM8.gif

You can add Mario Kart 8, Watch Dogs, Dreadout and The Forest to that list.

Mario Kart 8 is coming to PC/Steam? Mind am blown.

'remain fully functional'?? The game isn't even 'fully functional' now. What is this shit

What's this knock on? GFWL sucking ass?

Too complex is better than too simple, especially considering Bastion.

Is this a knock on Bastion? >_<

Fill me in cause I want to do this.

"Gavlan wheel, Gavlan deal"
"You want deal?"
"With Gavlan, you wheel? You deal! Gah hah!"
"Many deal...many thanks! Gah hah!"

Knurek

I noticed compression almost immediately on the Wolfenstein cutscenes. Checked the folder and there are 5 gb of pre-rendered videos. I want real-time cutscenes. The fuck is this shit.
ibtdH04qIvyM8.gif

I think most of the AAA devs have deals with Comcast to drive their client's monthly DL quotas.
No other explanation for shit like MGR:Revengenence.

Authority

Banned
If anyone is interested, I have found the lowest price for Metro: The Last Light for £6. Send me a PM so I do not derail the thread with another website.

Downplaying the links to Alpha Centauri makes me rather less excited for this game, to be honest. Civ in Space? Eh, that's cool and all, but not what I dreamt of.

I never played Alpha Centauri but when the game was announced a lot of people were hyped because they saw the game as a spiritual successor for Alpha Centauri and I think it can kind of kill some of the hype like it did for you.

Well to be pedantic technically on a PC you can take pics of any game. Ok granted some it doesn't really fit within the theme but something like Dear Esther deserves to stop and take in the scenery. The Vanishing of Ethan Carter is something I'm keeping a very close eye on for the same reason.

I knew I was going to get this response. xD

I think most of the AAA devs have deals with Comcast to drive their client's monthly limit DL quotas.
No other explanation for shit like MGR:Revengenence.

But then there's the other end of that spectrum where, if youre going to use HD videos already then come the fuck on and crank that bitrate up. Mortal Kombat's videos were actually worse than the PS3 version, forcing their fanbase to rip them from the PS3 version and put them up themselves. If you're going to have videos in your game at least make them at a decent bitrate, for goodness' sake.

Arthea

I'm trying to remember any game with too complex combat, any at all and I can't. So Transistor has to be first, feat on itself, a game is already the legend, in my eyes. (><)

Anyway I forgot to do my thing.
99 spirits is a good game, really it is. It requires some dedication, as it is much longer than I expected. Well, combat maybe too complex for some (OK, I won't do two same jokes in one post). You need to understand, that you don't need to fight every encounter and that you need to upgrade your sword. That's really important if you want to progress faster. Also as I said earlier in some steam thread it teaches you a valuable lesson: an adventurer has to travel light but take what's necessary and nothing else.
I really like ideas behind design of this game, give it a try.

Tizoc

Slow starting games aren't a big issue for me, 99 Spirits starts slow but once you get more abilities and you sart defeating enemies faster it becomes more fun.

ibtdH04qIvyM8.gif

Then what the hell's the point of the 30+ GB?

Vuze

ibtdH04qIvyM8.gif

I wonder why devs still use pre-rendered cutscenes. I'm not into game developement or anything, so I can't really imagine any reason why.

Dark Souls log.

Episode VII
The Return of the Poolman.

Last weekend I didn't have that much time to play. As my powers fell dormant, I felt dark urges growing inside me. Calling me to Lordran. Calling me to slay anyone and everything on my path. Yesterday, I was able to play again. Dark times are coming.

I returned to Anor Londo. Lightning Axe in hand and dark purposes on my heart. I made my way to the palace, killed the giants on my way and proceed to the fog gate to see the fearsome enemy GAF has warned me about.

As I entered, a cutscene showed to me not a single boss, but a team up of bosses.
B69BB89C1C62C200FA75B9D787884FD56092EE98

Pictured: Big Bastard and buddy, Spear Bastard.

As the battle began, they quickly tried to corner me. As a giant hammer smashed me to the ground I understood GAF's warnings. These are no joke, even for Dark Souls standards. I spent my first encounter with them learning, watching their patterns and remembering their moves. Even as death approached me, I took a small pride in seeing both Bastards had less than half their lives on my first fight. I came back to them. My second fight was better. I was able to catch Spear Bastard off guard a couple of times, and my Pyromancy works wonders on him. The main gripe in this fight is to be able to keep them BOTH at distance, having the two Bastards on melee range at the same time means a quick death.

F91C9525B2B7BCA74F9D040BF8169D9FCF0A6841

Yo mama's so fat... you know what, forget it. I'm sure your birth woman was a fine lady. Now leave me in peace while I kill your friend.

There I discovered that you can block all of their attacks. So given failure or entrapment, at least I could take a good hit and not die. I was able to kill Spear Bastard, and a cruel smile shone on my face. A cutscene showed Big Bastard finish Spear Bastard and grew up in size and won lightning powers. Just great. His longer range got the best in me. Still I was able to land a couple good hits. I was defeated, but learned that the key to this battle is patience. I decided to fight them again, armed with knowledge and tranquility of mind. Spear Bastard fell to his knees and screamed in frustration as he was unable to hit me. Big Bastard proved to be a very slow fight, I think I spent centuries on this fight, but so much time spent just reinforced my will to defeat him. After what seemed like millenia, Big Bastard fell. On my third try, I was able to kill these fearsome bosses.

I traveled upward the palace and found a bonfire. I advanced through a door and was received by this:
1B63FB38B23707B580FA27DCCB7DFB8E42601C3F

Kneel? KNEEL? you are no Zod! I won't kneel to any titty-goddess :mad:
Her voice turned into a chilling scream as her body was consumed by my Pyromancy. I guess I can kill gods now. I was given the Lordvessel. I guess you could be friends with her, but something was not right; Anor Londo is not a testing place, these bosses were no guardians. This is a trap. As she died, Anor Londo turned dark and a voice warned me that I pissed some kind of Sun God.
I went and found Anor Londo deserted, only a couple of human enemies stood on my way. They died. Then further, the former firekeeper challenged me. She died. I am becoming dark, I am the dark soul... I am Lord Poolman, the Dark Lord of the Soul.
At the downstairs bonfire, I found a new path, there I found another boss. But he killed me with some ranged attack. I will return later.

I returned to firelink, and spoke with the teethy serpent, it was in ecstasy.
1FC6E04F285BF32E32223FF2829B4CD334CE1073

You just had an orgasm, right?
I was sent to a new place and light the lordvessel. The Dark Lord Poolman has a new kill list. Nito, Seat, Four Kings, the Witch. They will die.

3D4745C98CFE85C3675BC07BEC485F8EBD847FA5

The Return of the Poolman

My saga of Dark Souls... is far from over.

MUnited83

For you.
But then there's the other end of that spectrum where, if youre going to use HD videos already then come the fuck on and crank that bitrate up. Mortal Kombat's videos were actually worse than the PS3 version, forcing their fanbase to rip them from the PS3 version and put them up themselves. If you're going to have videos in your game at least make them at a decent bitrate, for goodness' sake.

Yep! Its extremely annoying and a complete waste of space when games have cutscenes with godawful compression that end up looking worse than the actual gameplay.

Arthea

Downplaying the links to Alpha Centauri makes me rather less excited for this game, to be honest. Civ in Space? Eh, that's cool and all, but not what I dreamt of.

me too, as Alpha Centauri is a game yet to be repeated, let alone bested.
But I leave open mind, if they can make a good game, that good as AC I mean, I can live with it not being Alpha Centauri.

Ruruja

I'm still waiting for steamworks on Dark Souls before playing too. With the amount of Dark Souls 1 and 2 spoilers in this thread the last few months, I feel like I've already beaten both of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom