• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Thanks for the write up, is it actually a 40gb download from STEAM? That is a large portion of my bandwith :(
Yeah, I think Comcast says 250GB and I wasted 12GB yesterday when I found out it downloads to C before installing to the drive I said, so it used up a big chunk of mine, too.

Baha

Not sure if old but Paradigm Shift steam keys are up on Groupees if you picked it in the Build a Greenlight bundle 3.

Amzin

I haven't seen a TON of gameplay, but IMO they look pretty darn different.

It looks extremely different :p the V.A.T.S. style is part of it, the fact that it's more abilities-based and less tumble-stab is another. The only video I saw that made the combat look close to Bastion was maybe one section of part of the trailers. There's several decent deeper look videos that show what the combat is all about.

I haven't seen a TON of gameplay, but IMO they look pretty darn different.

I agree. I'm looking forward to the game, just not around launch. I loved Bastion. My theory is that the hate it has gotten lately is more due to a contrarian response to the praise it got before than any real issue with the game.

Dark Souls 2 consumes all of my time for now. Praise the sun, so the world might be mended, try left in short then be wary of rear hole, etc.

Euro Truck Simulator 2 - Metallic Paint Jobs Pack - free

http://store.steampowered.com/app/297790/

Got it for free since I'm on World of Trucks. Then I played it for several hours while exploring Germany and Poland, and listening to the Hardcore History episode "Prophets of Doom". As a result, ETS 2 is now my most played game on Steam.
10298771_800847019927810_9133468815109995194_n.jpg

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Just posted a very extensive photo diary review of Sony's Afrika for PS3. Which explains why I haven't played any PC games for a week. It's weird how there are absolutely no photo games on Steam. Pokemon Snap is Nintendo-exclusive, Endless Ocean is Wii exclusive, Afrika and Aquanaut's Holidays are both on PS3 only. Sealife Safari was just on XBLA. I have Reef Shot in some turd bundle, so hopefully that's Greenlit and released on Steam soon. I love photo games.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
is stomping grounds a single player joint or more MP horseshit (no offense)? if its sp it just became very interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmlnUCK9oWI

Sword, Narrator, Topview, floating EXP stones, Cutscenes that are purely moving Artwork...

Only setting and V.A.T.S look different to me.
The two games seem similar in some way but going by the gameplay videos, they're not very alike

Bastion is a hack and slash. This isn't. You don't even do typical melee moves or combos with your weapon. From what I gather, it's not really a sword and you don't use it like one.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
paradigm shift keys are out for groupees build a greenlight bundle 3

The two games seem similar in some way but going by the gameplay videos, they're not very alike

Bastion is a hack and slash. This isn't. You don't even do typical melee moves or combos with your weapon. From what I gather, it's not really a sword and you don't use it like one.

You can attack with your sword normally. But because its so damn heavy you cant combo with it. And you can press the attack button longer to make more damage or reach a bigger area with your sword.

Sounds like a Weapon from Bastion that just wasnt added.

Rhaknar

so we shit on "big evil companies" for embargos and day 1 reviews and whatnot...

but Transistor is self published acording to the latest bombcast when Greg was on. So whats Supergiant's excuse?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
so we shit on "big evil companies" for embargos and day 1 reviews and whatnot...

but Transistor is self published acording to the latest bombcast when Greg was on. So whats Supergiant's excuse?

Assuming you mean review embargoes, we had complete influence over Transistor's review embargo. It's our game.

Some reasons we felt a review embargo was appropriate:

- While it is unavoidable to some extent, we wanted to give at least some media outlets an equivalent and sufficiently reasonable amount of time with the game. (We still have hundreds of requests for review code that we're evaluating.)

- We want to protect our game so that it's not spoiled for people before they can play it for themselves. We've purposely withheld a lot of information about Transistor. If someone live-streamed the whole thing yesterday, we would have been sad.

- We think it's good when reviews coincide with the availability of the thing being reviewed. I hate reading reviews of things I don't have the option to buy or play (regardless of whether the review is positive).

So, my opinion is that a review embargo such as this is primarily a request for courtesy between publications getting early access to a game, but it is also somewhat self-serving (as is the act of sending out review code). We have no real leverage to enforce this embargo, being a small studio that's only released one other game. However, we respect the editorial process and have faith that publications will honor the embargo for the sake of their peers in the field, if for no other reason.

Back in my game-reviewing days we would sometimes get reviewers' guides with lists of topics we were asked not to cover or spoil, or whatever. I think that stuff is nonsense and that we have no say in those types of decisions. Publications best know what level of detail their audiences want. It's right there in the word "Editor".

Anyway some reviews should start hitting before the game comes out for those interested. I will find out what reviews this game gets no sooner than any of you.

Take it or leave it. Two reviews have leaked thus far, 2/5 from Tom Chick and a 3/5 from someone who complained the combat was "too complex".

Arthea

Take it or leave it. Two reviews have leaked thus far, 2/5 from Tom Chick and a 3/5 from someone who complained the combat was "too complex".

Too complex combat? Does it require to solve some tensor geometry tasks before every battle?
Seriously, how can combat be too complex when it is too simple in 99% of games.
I don't get it.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Too complex combat? Does it require to solve some tensor geometry tasks before every battle?
Seriously, how can combat be too complex when it is too simple in 99% of games.
I don't get it.

Here's the review (courtesy of Mo'_B) if you want to give it a look-over, but it seems like they wanted that sort of 1-button combat and instead had to deal with tactics and decisionmaking.

And my last buys of May are Kentucky Route Zero, Hammerwatch and Outlast. :)

Excellent purchase.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
After reading that review, it's made me want to play Transistor even more.

Got a few Steam bucks saved up, hopefully I can find some time tonight to dive in.

it seems like they wanted that sort of 1-button combat and instead had to deal with tactics and decisionmaking.

"Game is too complex. I couldnt even find the "Buy DLC to WIN"-Button."

Games got more and more casual. We lost Medkits,actually finding our Waypoints,complete games,actual gameplay... now we have Bloody eyes,Protagonist-has-more-knowledge-about-the-whole-game-map-even-trough-he-is-new,DLCs and One-Button-Fights.

I wonder whats next.

fantomena

You got a review code for Transistor, right? Any GAF-exclusive non-spoilery impressions you could share?

Yep, got it yesterday. Im behind embargo though, so not sure what I can share.

The combat system is weird to understand in like 5 minutes and then everything is cool. It takes like 5 minute to understand it.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Here's the review (courtesy of Mo'_B) if you want to give it a look-over, but it seems like they wanted that sort of 1-button combat and instead had to deal with tactics and decisionmaking.

I was hoping that Transistor would be more than a "flawed gem," but at least it's not terrible. Plus according to that review, the music is good, which is definitely a plus. Hopefully other reviews will come out soon.

At this point, I'll listen to the soundtrack soon, and will buy the game on sale for 66%-75% or if it's bundled in the future. I was honestly going to do that in the first place, so not much of a loss.

Yep, got it yesterday. Im behind embargo though, so not sure what I can share.

The combat system is weird to understand in like 5 minutes and then everything is cool. It takes like 5 minute to understand it.

This is what the Review says. They say it gets more and more complex later on.

Are you far trough the game or just 1-2 hours in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom