• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knurek

Th sad thing is, I own that game (got it in a bargain bin years ago) and really want to play it, but I heard about the uninstaller wiping peoples' HD's and decided against it. (Didn't want to be that person who does something incredibly stupid in a moment of forgetfulness you know?) So the box is literally sitting on my desk next to the PC collecting dust.

I'm pretty sure there are patches for that, although not sure if the game does work on current OSes.

Zafir

in1xNsKLDfh5z.png

Ergh.

As a 1440p monitor owner, that annoys me greatly. :/

Zia

Yeah, people getting rattled by reviews, Grief being called a Steam shill, people arguing for no reason etc

I also learned that the talking DS4 makes PS4 the definitive version and everyone that writes about video games is friends with Greg Kasavin.

Can someone help me out. Does Windows 8.1 have a history of compatible issues with modern games? Bastion all of a sudden won't detect my controller. It was working before now it doesn't. All I did was add bastion as a tile to the start screen just to test out the feature and see how it looks, now this is the only game that doesn't detect a controller. I deleted the bastion tile and also deleted steam as a tile but it still won't work. :(

Windows 8.1 is quite tricky with modern games. In my experience it is worse than windows 8, since there is a really bad memory leak that affects a number of games when they are played in full screen. I don't know of issues specifically to do with the start screen since I use classicshell to skip it.

rtcn63

I also learned that the talking DS4 makes PS4 the definitive version and everyone that writes about video games is friends with Greg Kasavin.

I've learned that outside of SteamGAF, people seem to like yelling loudly at each other while still ignoring each other while trying to make each other look worse than they really are while touching themselves.

Grief.exe

Yeah, people getting rattled by reviews, Grief being called a Steam shill, people arguing for no reason etc

niy Grief IS a steam shill... we all are :p

Yep, got called out for mentioning the Steam version's existence and that the DS4's speaker seems like a gimmick more than a reason to call it the definitive version.

Some guy was actually going to run out and buy a PS4, people don't even realize this game is on PC.

The situation reminded me of Titanfall where people aren't even aware the game isn't exclusive. Have to be careful though, apparently giving people information is analogous to a religious crusade with an agenda.

BadRamen

Th sad thing is, I own that game (got it in a bargain bin years ago) and really want to play it, but I heard about the uninstaller wiping peoples' HD's and decided against it. (Didn't want to be that person who does something incredibly stupid in a moment of forgetfulness you know?) So the box is literally sitting on my desk next to the PC collecting dust.

I have read multiple sources that said Bungie found the bug before the game launched and sent out people to physically replace the CDs to the tune of a crapload of money, so you should be fine. Officially, apparently, only one person actually got hit with the bug, a Bungie employee.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Despite not yet reaching my goals on Patreon, I'm getting ready to order a dedicated server for Enhanced Steam.

There are now over 215,000 daily users that hit the API server. Between 10am and 11am (when new deals are posted on Steam) I'm getting up to 65,000 concurrent connections, and it's just killing what I have.

So, I'm not someone that likes asking for money, but with the exception of the $34 a month that has been pledged already (thank you again to those that have already donated!), and a few one-time donations, I'm paying for the server out of my own pocket. So if you find Enhanced Steam useful and can throw anything my way (even $1 a month helps), it would be really appreciated. If you can donate $5 a month or more, you'll get a cool supporter badge for your Steam profile.

With any luck, this new dedicated server should alleviate the issues that cause the almost daily downtime of some of Enhanced Steam's best features.

Have you looked into stuff like Linode, or other pay-per-CPU-hour options rather than a dedicated server? They scale up and down a little better with usage than the expense of buying a dedicated server.

Yep, got called out for mentioning the Steam version's existence and that the DS4's speaker seems like a gimmick more than a reason to call it the definitive version.

Some guy was actually going to run out and buy a PS4, people don't even realize this game is on PC.

The situation reminded me of Titanfall where people aren't even aware the game isn't exclusive.

I didn't even know it was on PS4, then again I am Steam exclusive.

Zafir

You gotta be kidding me... I just spent over an hour installing Wolfenstein from disk, and there's a 10GB patch as well? I knew there was a release day patch but, not that large. :I

Guess I'll download Transistor first and play that while it downloads the rest of Wolfenstein.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
5 min unti BTA bad rats bundle! (probably)

I really want that to be the last daily bundle. $1 tier is a new Bad Rats exclusive art book consisting of three images along with the soundtrack, BTA is Bad Rats, and a $15 tier revealing Bad Rats 2: The Rattening and giving early access keys.

As a steam shill, i foresee myself either waiting for a 75% deal or for the game to be in a bundle. Bastion was good but i felt that it was better received than it merited being and grew bored of it 2/3s into the game.

More power to Super Giant Games for making well received games and establishing a following, though.

I really want that to be the last daily bundle. $1 tier is a new Bad Rats exclusive art book consisting of three images along with the soundtrack, BTA is Bad Rats, and a $15 tier revealing Bad Rats 2: The Rattening and giving early access keys.

Meh... Rattening?
Dont buy unless its Advance Rattening or Modern Rattening.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Escape Goat -- MB-1E7B3C9DF0F91E51 - Taken by Sub Zero
SOL Exodus -- MB-4E5EC7F5A343FABD - Taken by Tellaerin
Space Giraffe (possibly taken, probably not) -- MB-CDA5A7E3E574E5EA - Taken by KenOD

BiggNife

lol mean its 83 metacritic right now so I am not sure what the drama is about from PRO people. Also it looks to be a game that you either love or hate, so who cares about reviews.

There are some people that get REALLY worked up about outlier reviews for whatever reason. You should've seen the stink people made when Eurogamer gave Uncharted 3 an 8/10 (which imo is the score it deserved anyway) admist a sea of 9s and 10s.

Aaron D.

So is Steam Search broken or is there really on Tropico 5 OT?

Comes out this Friday and Steam is selling 4-pack pre-orders for $27 a pop (per person). Has a bunch of pre-order bonuses including T5 DLC, T4 & Omerta - City of Gangsters.

Dr Dogg

You gotta be kidding me... I just spent over an hour installing Wolfenstein from disk, and there's a 10GB patch as well? I knew there was a release day patch but, not that large. :I

Guess I'll download Transistor first and play that while it downloads the rest of Wolfenstein.

Yep I got hit with that. Only 7 hours to go... I really hope fibre hurries up and comes to the cabinet here. Still that the price to pay for fresh air and nice views I guess.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
I'm assuming that the best part is that it doesn't include the Rajas of India DLC.

Oh well, at least I bought this for $14 or something like that when GMG had it on sale thanks to their vouchers.

Meh... Rattening?
Dont buy unless its Advance Rattening or Modern Rattening.

What about Rat Ops?

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
The crusader kings bundle is a steal if you don't own the game. Just keep in mind that it doesn't include the 3 latest DLCs (Old Gods, Sons of Abraham, Rajas of India) and some other minor ones like the EU IV converter, the customization pack and some portrait and music packs

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Have you looked into stuff like Linode, or other pay-per-CPU-hour options rather than a dedicated server? They scale up and down a little better with usage than the expense of buying a dedicated server.

I've looked into it, but I'm scared of committing to a plan like that where the cost becomes the unknown variable. I fear that Enhanced Steam would be featured on Lifehacker or Kotaku again (or even something bigger) and I'd have a hell of a bill to pay at the end of the month.

I've looked into it, but I'm scared of committing to a plan like that where the cost becomes the unknown variable. I fear that Enhanced Steam would be featured on Lifehacker or Kotaku again (or even something bigger) and I'd have a hell of a bill to pay at the end of the month.

You are far enough into it that you could offer it as subscription based model. Like 2-5$ per user per month.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Well, it is labeled as Crusader Kings Daily Bundle, so its not really a different deal at all, just a alternative way of buying the same thing :p

edit: welp, I see that it is 1 cent cheaper. That is hilarious.
Yeah, I just noticed they switched it over. It was just CK2 Collection with the DLC, but no ebook or CK1 up until 2pm.

Zafir

Yep I got hit with that. Only 7 hours to go... I really hope fibre hurries up and comes to the cabinet here. Still that the price to pay for fresh air and nice views I guess.
Well, you managed to make me feel bad about my moaning. It says it'll 'only' take me an hour and ten.

It's quite frankly a miracle I have fibre optic albeit not super fast considering I live on the outskirts of a city no one cares about.

There are some people that get REALLY worked up about outlier reviews for whatever reason. You should've seen the stink people made when Eurogamer gave Uncharted 3 an 8/10 (which imo is the score it deserved anyway) admist a sea of 9s and 10s.

People to this day can't forgive Jeff Gerstmann's 8.8 review of Twilight Princess.

And let's not forget Polygon's 7.5 review of the Last of Us.

Just, um, play the game yourself or something? I agree with the 8.8 (it's actually too high) and disagree with the 7.5 but I'm not raising pitchforks or calling people clickbait attention whores or some variation of that just because their reviews don't meet my expectation of their reviews so as to better validate my purchase.

Authority

Banned
are you new to PC gaming? Don't mind meanness of guys here, they are good people when you get to the bottom of things.
Here is a list of steam games selling sites to remember, bookmark them for future use:

http://www.greenmangaming.com/
http://www.gamersgate.co.uk/
http://digital.gamefly.co.uk/#!/pc
https://www.amazon.com/?tag=neogaf0e-20
https://www.humblebundle.com/store
http://groupees.com/
https://www.indiegala.com/

Thanks and kinda. I was mainly an MMO player for years so I didn't look for anything else beyond that.

Shadow Warrior on Humble is £6.

tumblr_mtuydwmawp1rofs78o1_500.gif

Such an underrated iconic game...

Shadow Warrior Gameplay GTX 770 1080p Ultra Settings

The_Monk

Did somebody really called you a Steam shill? That's embarrassing, just don't listen to those GAFfers. I'm never going to defend a machine weather is PC or consoles but I might defend a good game so just pay no attention to people calling you out like that. Just be a fan of playing good games (now go play Demon's Souls before Dark Souls is patched with Steam achievements!)

Also, similar GAF names are confusing. Just saw that there is our known Rhaknar but there's also GAFfer Raknar.

And now on Topic, played the first mission of Operation Flashpoint Red River and the game still holds up, at least for me. But it's not for everyone, two bullets or even one are enough to get you killed.

Majukun

i was so happy when i saw that it was a crusader king bundle..then i saw that it has been actually cheaper several times in other sales....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom