• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

Muffin Knight is now available on Steam for $4.89, 30% off its usual price until May 27th. The game was in Greenlight Bundle's Greenlight Bundle 1, apparently, so anyone who bought the bundle will probably get keys.

About the Game

Muffin Knight is an arena based action-packed platformer with stunning visuals and a myriad of fairytale characters, each with their own unique abilities, which gain strength as you advance.

“Much like muffins, Muffin Knight is sweet, simple, and dangerously addicting, and you can never go wrong with rainbow-shitting unicorns”- Kotaku

There's also this:

About the Game

Fiesta Online is a unique free to play anime MMORPG played by an active and friendly community. In a magical and colorful world, players assume the role of a fantasy hero and brave powerful enemies and challenging quests.
With regular updates and more than 115 levels, hundreds of hours of gameplay content await you!...

EVENTS & WEDDING SYSTEM: Participate in numerous in-game events and organize parties where you can dance with your friends. Find a partner who will stay on your side throughout your adventures and get married.

I admittedly bought Transistor because it's a pretty looking 2D-ish game, same reason I bought Bastion, which didn't really click with me. The presentation and combat are kind of interesting so far but that's really all I can say at the moment.

Steam down, what a surprise...

Really shitty service lately, no other way to put it.

How dare they perform maintenance and briefly inconvenience people.

Steam down, what a surprise...

Really shitty service lately, no other way to put it.

Not helping my 34 hour 40.7 GB download of Wolfenstein: The New Order that was only 11% complete. Not helping at all.

Saving $23 on the new release is proving rather insignificant at the moment considering how much I was craving a decent SP shooter. Should have bought retail.

Zeliard

If you, or anyone else here, is planning on getting Stranded, I have a 20% off coupon they can have for free.

First one to PM me gets it.

I have that too actually (since I have Waking Mars), but I can't use it until the current promotion is over.

Vardhan

Not sure if it was mentioned already, but on Newegg, they are having a Memorial Day 2K Games sale.

Sales Link

You can get an extra 15% off if you use this code: EMCPEHW232

I got the Borderlands GOTY + Borderlands 2 bundle for 10.19 instead of the 11.99 sale.

Anyone who is playing or has completed 99 spirits -- how far in is the boss you have to beat for the $0.50 achievement?

This one:
Woodsman
Vanquish a Great Monster
This achievement is obtained by defeating the boss in Tamagami Shrine. It looks like a red mist and it is blocking one of the two side paths in the map.

I did it in level 12, you just have to acquire all 5 gems.
You get them after
you kill all three undead samurai.
Follow this guide

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Another Enhanced Steam feature that Valve finally decided to implement themselves.

yaNxRuE.png

I should be on the payroll

Acccent

Another Enhanced Steam feature that Valve finally decided to implement themselves.

I should be on the payroll

To be honest, I know that mustn't feel good, but I don't think sarcastically pointing it out so often in here is helping your cause. You're preaching to the choir and if people from Valve actually lurk here or even have active accounts, I doubt that's the best way to sway their opinion. I mean no offense, and I wish the best for you... just stating a humble opinion.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Wow, what a ripoff.

FYI, this was introduced in Enhanced Steam version 3.4, which was released on 6/1/13.

It's a pretty obvious ripoff of the functionality, especially since I know that a lot of Valve's own employees use Enhanced Steam.

On one hand, it makes me upset when I don't get acknowledgement for things like this, but on the other hand I'm happy that all Steam users will benefit from this great feature.

Dr Dogg

How well does frame limiting software work and which is the best one?

Riva Tuner Stats Server bundled with Afterburner or Precision has been problem free for me though some games can stutter a bit if you clamp them down to 30 but that's a case by case basis. Only game I had to use Inspector to force it was Joe Danger 2 as everything was twice the speed at 120fps.

As always once the achievements become available we will be adding a finer selection, so mystery hunting time folks! There are a number of freshly minted games for you guys to be rewarded for trying out, so hopefully fun can be had! Any new releases have their rewards backdated to the date of launch so no one misses out!

Does this mean Playfire is adding Transistor achievements! (sweet baby free money)

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I want to strike your guy's fancy with The Last Door, which is a fantastic point'n'click game and one of the absolute best 2D horror games to exist.

These impressions are based off of the free version, the Collector's Edition comes with reworked graphics, music, new scenes, new puzzles, new story, and new unlockables. Small impressions for now as I need to still play the CE.

The Last Door: Collector's Edition Trailer

header_292x136.jpg

Steam Store Page
The original 'non-collectors' version of the game can be played freely here.

The Last Door is a 2D point'n'click horror game, that takes inspiration from several of horror's leading creative minds, particularly of note are Edgar Allan Poe, H.P. Lovecraft, and David Lynch. The game is episodic, with the first season complete and the second season now being worked on. The first season is 4-episodes long, and that's what this CE includes,

Set in a Victorian England, you play as Jeremiah Devitt, who receives a letter from his childhood friend, Anthony Beechworth, and goes to visit him at his home. From this, a series of events get set into emotion as Devitt must uncover things all the way back from his youth and meddle with things man was never meant to know.

The game has Clock Tower-esque point'n'click system (Why do I bring-up Clock Tower? No reason...) where you have a character who goes to interact with objects you click on. Like other games in the genre, you find items and find where they go to, find letters and exposition, solve puzzles, and make progression. However, as this is a horror game, there are things like scares and, later, survival.

ss_103f3be0878deadc3df7c22c131f5398f62780dd.600x338.jpg

Graphics are simple, but do their job. There are a few cool effects and lighting systems, and the minimalism helps get the imagination running on details, much like old PS1 horror games.

The music is very nice though. It's very stylized to the Victorian age the game is set in, with some good exploration tracks, scare tracks, and more. Honestly, the closest thing I can compare the soundtrack to is the music found in the PS2 cult game, Rule of Rose, as they share a similar setting and style. Sounds are well-handled, whenever being just little ambient noises, or something creepy and unidentifiable.

I also would say the game has some good scares, and it gets creepier and scarier as it progresses, with each episode being better than the last. It's maybe not the scariest thing you'll ever play, but some moments will unnerve you, and sometimes what the games gets to you can only stare at in uncertainty or disbelief.

A very solid horror game and point'n'click adventure that should engage people with its good atmosphere, interesting puzzles, and slow-burn but engaging story.

jshackles

To be honest, I know that mustn't feel good, but I don't think sarcastically pointing it out so often in here is helping your cause. You're preaching to the choir and if people from Valve actually lurk here or even have active accounts, I doubt that's the best way to sway their opinion. I mean no offense, and I wish the best for you... just stating a humble opinion.

I know, it is really frustrating, and I apologize if I come off as sounding like a dick. I really just want what's best for Steam users everywhere, and I sincerely feel that Valve hiring me would let me do the most amount of good for the highest number of people. I guess I'll try to filter myself a little more going forward, as needed.

Oh strange, it works now. It was grayed out earlier when I tried it on desktop, with Enhanced Steam telling me that it didn't work with other promotions.

*raises eyebrow at jshackles*

That sounds pretty strange - I wonder if they changed the discount eligibility on the coupon...?

Sajjaja

FYI, this was introduced in Enhanced Steam version 3.4, which was released on 6/1/13.

It's a pretty obvious ripoff of the functionality, especially since I know that a lot of Valve's own employees use Enhanced Steam.

On one hand, it makes me upset when I don't get acknowledgement for things like this, but on the other hand I'm happy that all Steam users will benefit from this great feature.

Except you're more upset than you are happy and I would be too lol. Stop working for free :p

To be fair, wouldn't Valve have a long list of obvious fixes/improvements they need to make to the steam store?

I've never seen it as a question of coming up with useful ideas, more about why they never take the relatively small time needed to implement them.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I want to strike your guy's fancy with The Last Door, which is a fantastic point'n'click game and one of the absolute best 2D horror games to exist.

These impressions are based off of the free version, the Collector's Edition comes with reworked graphics, music, new scenes, new puzzles, new story, and new unlockables. Small impressions for now as I need to still play the CE.

The Last Door: Collector's Edition Trailer

header_292x136.jpg

Steam Store Page
The original 'non-collectors' version of the game can be played freely here.

The Last Door is a 2D point'n'click horror game, that takes inspiration from several of horror's leading creative minds, particularly of note are Edgar Allan Poe, H.P. Lovecraft, and David Lynch. The game is episodic, with the first season complete and the second season now being worked on. The first season is 4-episodes long, and that's what this CE includes,

Set in a Victorian England, you play as Jeremiah Devitt, who receives a letter from his childhood friend, Anthony Beechworth, and goes to visit him at his home. From this, a series of events get set into emotion as Devitt must uncover things all the way back from his youth and meddle with things man was never meant to know.

The game has Clock Tower-esque point'n'click system (Why do I bring-up Clock Tower? No reason...) where you have a character who goes to interact with objects you click on. Like other games in the genre, you find items and find where they go to, find letters and exposition, solve puzzles, and make progression. However, as this is a horror game, there are things like scares and, later, survival.

ss_103f3be0878deadc3df7c22c131f5398f62780dd.600x338.jpg

Graphics are simple, but do their job. There are a few cool effects and lighting systems, and the minimalism helps get the imagination running on details, much like old PS1 horror games.

The music is very nice though. It's very stylized to the Victorian age the game is set in, with some good exploration tracks, scare tracks, and more. Honestly, the closest thing I can compare the soundtrack to is the music found in the PS2 cult game, Rule of Rose, as they share a similar setting and style. Sounds are well-handled, whenever being just little ambient noises, or something creepy and unidentifiable.

I also would say the game has some good scares, and it gets creepier and scarier as it progresses, with each episode being better than the last. It's maybe not the scariest thing you'll ever play, but some moments will unnerve you, and sometimes what the games gets to you can only stare at in uncertainty or disbelief.

A very solid horror game and point'n'click adventure that should engage people with its good atmosphere, interesting puzzles, and slow-burn but engaging story.

Bah damn it I can't handle all these games. Looks like I can at least pick up a steam key for this on Greenmangaming though, so I can blow some credit on this!

Dr Dogg

http://img.acianetmedia.com/i/XBnVJ.png[iMG]

[URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=822586"]Modbot lays down the law.[/URL] [IMG]http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/images/smilies/laugh.gif

Reading ModBots post history is always good for a laugh. Such a jovial character when in here but it's got some right zingers when shutting down threads.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
http://steamstat.us

Steam Status is your friend as it shows which regions are down and certain sections of Steam like Community, Market or Servers. IsSteamDown is as dead as a dodo and we should all move along and embrace the future.

First time I remember seeing this site posted, though it's probably been posted countless times before.

Might have to look at this later. For reasons.

Well, I'm even more sold on this now. Will pick up in the future.

jshackles

To be fair, wouldn't Valve have a long list of obvious fixes/improvements they need to make to the steam store?

I've never seen it as a question of coming up with useful ideas, more about why they never take the relatively small time needed to implement them.

That's true - I don't claim to have a monopoly on good ideas that can be implemented into Steam. After reading the logic in their new code, I can say that what they are doing with this is almost exactly what I did, with the exception that they created a whole new API to facilitate the data transfer - rather than scraping the market page. It's exactly what I would have done when implementing the feature from their side.

But all said, I am happy that they've finally taken some time to add something like this to "default Steam". If they don't already have a list of things that need fixed, I'd be happy to share mine. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom