• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I kinda hate Supergiant because I can't stand their games (I guess Transistor and Bastion are similar in gameplay?) but god if I love their art style. :(

Same here, I hated Bastion, don't understand all the praise it got, art style was nice, but gameplay was terrible.

Grief.exe

I kinda hate Supergiant because I can't stand their games (I guess Transistor and Bastion are similar in gameplay?) but god if I love their art style. :(

Same here, I hated Bastion, don't understand all the praise it got, art style was nice, but gameplay was terrible.

I actually did not like the general gameplay of Bastion all that much either, but I am loving Transistor so far.

Did a small write up here

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=112802587&postcount=13743

Pachimari

Am at chapter 9/14 in Max Payne 3 now, and I'm actually having fun. A bit repetitive with all the shooting in these sandboxes but the great shooting combined with the stages makes it worth it, if not for Max's character arc itself. :)

After that, I'm gonna play through Gone Home, and then probably Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons before starting up Batman: Arkham Asylum (did play an hour of it already).

Milamber

Take that with a massive pinch of salt. Let me ask you a question, what do you think a PassMark combined CPU score of 9,000-10,000 equates to in relation to gaming performance?

Depends on the way a game is coded. It's like GTA IV, which took a majority from the CPU. Game was crap until CPU's caught up. Now it's okay.

Grief.exe

Depends on the way a game is coded. It's like GTA IV, which took a majority from the CPU. Game was crap until CPU's caught up. Now it's okay.

It just sounds like Watch Dogs, and many current-gen games going forward, take advantage of multi-threaded processors.

So the i7's with Hyper Threading now look very useful, where as before they were largely useless for gaming applications.

GTAIV is a horrible example for any situation as it is one of the worst ports of all time.

Milamber

The problem I have with UbiShit's latest is that they decided to make it CPU bound with the highest support to this generations very top line i7.

Grief.exe

The problem I have with UbiShit's latest is that they decided to make it CPU bound with the highest support to this generations very top line i7.

I guarantee they are just putting out way over inflated specs to cover their asses, and you will have no problem running the game on a 2600k.

I'm sure you will have no issues on a 2500k either, but the HT will really help if it is a multi-threaded process.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
gamez

ModBot said:
Instructions for Rhaknar:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Knytt Underground -- MB-DD17C388FB308380 - Taken by Madridista
Dark Scavanger -- MB-7CF451CD021A2980 - Taken by Milamber
Doorways: Chapter 1 & 2 -- MB-1693C32B33203408 - Taken by Aaron

edit: misses a giveaway while doing a giveaway. FML

Dr Dogg

Hehehehe sure but that's not going to be answered by telling someone a set of numbers now is it? It's kind of like me saying you won't be able to make a large omelet unless you have a chicken this big.

Let me put it to you this way a PassMark CPU score is made up of various test, some that relate to gaming performance, some that have no bearing and some that only if that game takes advantage of them. Saying you need an overall score of a set number is a bit silly as you can knock your clocks up on an 4670k to about 4.4-4.5 and get a 10,000 score no probs but if it's something like physics calculations or SSE then an i5 even at those clocks is only just getting to where an i7 is at stock.

No one outside of UbiSoft knows if Watch_Dogs takes advantage of HyperThreading but from all the CPU talk I'd say there is a fair chance it will.

PassMark is a bad benchmark to gauge gaming performance, something along the lines of a 3DMark bench would be a much better overall assessment of CPU and GPU. For example here's a Tech Powered Up article that shows if a game uses HyperThreading an i7 will get a better physics score than an i5 hands down.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Core_i5_4670K_and_i7_4770K_Comparison/7.html

Also bear in mind that's an article made of of just a few tweets from Jonathan Morin and not really a through interview. Unless it's on offer or like me you're impatient going to play it on release, I'd hold off until it's out in the wild as no one knows how it plays. The fact the GPUs that get mentioned for 'Ultra' settings are really suspect and all the CPU talk is more cause for concern.

Grief.exe

Part of me was hoping the Harmonix Kickstarter would fail so they would go back to the drawing board and return with a spiritual successor not tied to Sony platforms.

Apparently Sony not only owns the IP, but also the gameplay mechanics. Though that seems like a strange excuse as I have never heard of that before.

But I'm a Steam shill, so what do I know?

Zafir

Part of me was hoping the Harmonix Kickstarter would fail so they would go back to the drawing board and return with a spiritual successor not tied to Sony platforms.

Apparently Sony not only owns the IP, but also the gameplay mechanics. Though that seems like a strange excuse as I have never heard of that before.

But I'm a Steam shill, so what do I know?

I'm amazed it's gotten so close. Didn't look like it was going to.

Milamber

I guarantee they are just putting out way over inflated specs to cover their asses, and you will have no problem running the game on a 2600k.

I'm sure you will have no issues on a 2500k either, but the HT will really help if it is a multi-threaded process.
Hehehehe sure but that's not going to be answered by telling someone a set of numbers now is it? It's kind of like me saying you won't be able to make a large omelet unless you have a chicken this big.

Let me put it to you this way a PassMark CPU score is made up of various test, some that relate to gaming performance, some that have no bearing and some that only if that game takes advantage of them. Saying you need an overall score of a set number is a bit silly as you can knock your clocks up on an 4670k to about 4.4-4.5 and get a 10,000 score no probs but if it's something like physics calculations or SSE then an i5 even at those clocks is only just getting to where an i7 is at stock.

No one outside of UbiSoft knows if Watch_Dogs takes advantage of HyperThreading but from all the CPU talk I'd say there is a fair chance it will.

PassMark is a bad benchmark to gauge gaming performance, something along the lines of a 3DMark bench would be a much better overall assessment of CPU and GPU. For example here's a Tech Powered Up article that shows if a game uses HyperThreading an i7 will get a better physics score than an i5 hands down.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Core_i5_4670K_and_i7_4770K_Comparison/7.html

Also bear in mind that's an article made of of just a few tweets from Jonathan Morin and not really a through interview. Unless it's on offer or like me you're impatient going to play it on release, I'd hold off until it's out in the wild as no one knows how it plays. The fact the GPUs that get mentioned for 'Ultra' settings are really suspect and all the CPU talk is more cause for concern.
I guess so. I guess I won't mind in the end. I'm used to playing games with fps at their low 20's. I still haven't pushed the big fat OC button on my Mobo yet though, so I got that going for me.

Wok

What is this?

[/URL]

About Out There Somewhere Steam keys, I received an email from the devs:

If you are receiving this, it's because you own our game Out There Somewhere on Desura.

As you may know, we made a brand new version for the Steam release, and this link should get you a key: [...]

But for reasons that are unknown to us, the game wasn't published on Steam today as it was supposed to, and we are still trying to figure out why.

I would recommend using the [Steam key] above after the game is live (we are hoping that will be some time tomorrow).

Dr Dogg

Did you see my post in the Wolf14 PC performance thread? They say min req is an i7 but my now back at stock Q6600 begs to differ. I get the feeling the sample selection that is being used to test for larger games is much samller than it used to be. Sure it's a 8 year old processor but it still can pack a mighty punch. I can see 920s trucking along for a good while yet let alone 2500/2600Ks

I guess so. I guess I won't mind in the end. I'm used to playing games with fps at their low 20's. I still haven't pushed the big fat OC button on my Mobo yet though, so I got that going for me.

Do it! Though your ambient temps where you live/work are going to be massively higher than mine so I hope your cooling is up to snuff.

Grief.exe

Did you see my post in the Wolf14 PC performance thread? They say min req is an i7 but my now back at stock Q6600 begs to differ. I get the feeling the sample selection that is being used to test for larger games is much samller than it used to be. Sure it's a 8 year old processor but it still can pack a mighty punch. I can see 920s trucking along for a good while yet let alone 2500/2600Ks

I didn't see that, but it hardly surprises me. Recommended system requirements have gone increasingly bat shit over the past couple years.

The Q6600 is such a good CPU, they just keep on going with the punches especially when OC'd. Looking back, makes me wish I had gotten the 2600K instead of the 2500K. Of course, hindsight is 20/20 and I would have rather saved the $100-$200 at the time.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Also, why is Cabela's Hunting Expeditions the only game in the series thats only available in the USA?

It looks like the most interesting of the bunch... bought two others anyway, these games are the right stuff for a drunken night with friends :)

I smell a special giveaway!

QUBE is getting a console release with bonus / changed stuff so they're just releasing it as a DC similar to Strike Suit Zero.

Hey Sin.

Salsa

QUBE was supposed to have a story that was cut out and the game turned into pure gameplay with no exposition. I guess this director's cut brings the story back.

aku:jiki

I think I've decided that Risk of Rain is regretfully shallow and not all that rewarding. My first 10 hours with it was excellent, and learning the game was the best part by far, but the problem is that once you know everything, it plateaus and it feels like there's no reason to continue on. And the problem with that is that it happens fairly quickly. 10 hours is a long investment for, say, a singleplayer action adventure cutscene bonanza, but it should just be scratching the very surface of a roguelite.

- There is no procedural level generation. It seems like there is at first, but it's just that there are two variant environments for each level (like Dried Lake or Desolate Forest for the first level) and each environment has at least 2, maybe 3-4, layouts. Once you've seen a layout, it will never change. This gets boring and pretty frustrating; I don't know how many times I've tried to get the right version of Magma Caverns so I can find that artifact, but it's getting silly. I can't get to the right layout of Desolate Forest, while I have a Photon Jetpack, to save my life either. This is the worst way to do unlocks, forcing me to just bash my head against the wall over and over until I luck into it. This problem could be solved by tossing in a "max movement speed + jetpack" artifact, so you could explore more efficiently and feel less bored by the first few levels.
- Very little loot. If I were to guess, I'd say the game has maybe 75 items, which should be plenty, but the majority of them do the same thing! There's really only a few items when you break it down; increased HP/regen in various forms, increased rate of fire or damage, and various RPG-styled "chance to..." items like setting enemies on fire or healing yourself on crit. There are a couple of rare items that significantly change things up, like the ones that lower (or, if stacked, completely remove) your ability cooldown or the one that lets you shoot lasers on top of your basic projectiles, but the majority of the rares don't really do anything unique either. There's nothing like Binding of Isaac's technology, quad shot, wavey bullets and whatever else. You have your basic attack and abilities and can buff those, but that's it.
- The timer-based difficulty tops out at "HAHAHAH" or about an hours worth of play. It never gets any harder at that point. You can still die, but I made three laps in a 130 minute run yesterday and I could open the blast doors on the last level by just standing still by the switch and firing behind me, so it doesn't exactly get to be very hard. The game is very punishing and difficult in the beginning, but after a certain point, it gets to be pretty easy and could use a buff to stay interesting.
- The Command artifact destroys the game. I know, I can opt to not use it but I can't bring myself to do that... I need to use the most optimal way to play a game, or I'll feel stupid. Command lets you manually pick loot any time loot would drop, so you just end up giving yourself 10x attack speed, 10x health/regen and 10x crit/flame/etc damage on every run. It gets old fast.
- Conversely, if you don't use Command, the game can become disappointingly item-dependant. You can always do enough damage and survive by just leveling, but if you end up with just spikestrips and the piggy bank, you will not be standing much of a chance on the final level. Letting you loop the game before heading there is a nice way to solve that, but it's also a waste of time. No point in making that run work if you can just start over and get better loot in level 1.
- Boar Beach is a bad idea. I know, same as Command, I can choose not to use it... But I also have to. It's a hidden area that's pretty common and allows you to grind infinite easy bosses (Scavenger/Toxic Beast), meaning you can give yourself infinity-level damage, health, regen and so on. All it takes is a 30 minute investment to give yourself literally 100+ items and make yourself unstoppable.

It's too bad, because I love the combat, the artstyle and graphics, the music and the mysterious atmosphere, but the roguelite part of the design just doesn't cut it. Needs more items, items that do more interesting things, more or randomized level layouts and for the difficulty to keep scaling so it doesn't just become a mindless grind after 60 minutes. I'll be playing it until I get 100% since I do like it, but it could and should have been much more.

Dr Dogg

I didn't see that, but it hardly surprises me. Recommended system requirements have gone increasingly bat shit over the past couple years.

The Q6600 is such a good CPU, they just keep on going with the punches especially when OC'd. Looking back, makes me wish I had gotten the 2600K instead of the 2500K. Of course, hindsight is 20/20 and I would have rather saved the $100-$200 at the time.

I don't mind requirements that push their recommend specs higher up as we should be striving for more out of our hardware but it's at the entry end that more often than not they need looking at. I get that you can't test every possible permutation or that certain components might work but are not supported but when you have a qualifier as a unnamed i7 as a minimum requirement that sounds like overkill.

Maybe it's a marketing thing to make games look more 'next gen' than they really are? Maybe publishers are in a cartel with hardware manufactures to push new components? Maybe it's a limited test selection? Either way user feedback and professional benchmarks are the best source of what the real requirements are. Still those PC Reqs threads are goldmines :p

Knurek

Maybe it's a marketing thing to make games look more 'next gen' than they really are? Maybe publishers are in a cartel with hardware manufactures to push new components? Maybe it's a limited test selection?

Well, what do you expect from a publisher that releases a game that doesn't work for roughly 40% of potential customers (apparently, ATI users are fucked even worse than during the RAGE premiere).

QUBE will unlock in just a few hours but its page doesn't mention yet any prices nor whether owners of the original game will get a discounted price, or even better get it as a free update as happened with FTL
not going to happen

For those unfamiliar with the game, it is good, some mind-twisting physics puzzles along the lines of Portal.

Dr Dogg

Well, what do you expect from a publisher that releases a game that doesn't work for roughly 40% of potential customers (apparently, ATI users are fucked even worse than during the RAGE premiere).

Well from ZeniMax I'd think it's all about the money!

The Rage launch was a nightmare on the ATI side of things due to id optimising the game for drivers not even released which was really, really silly (and did bring John Carmack to make an apology at the start of his keynote). Surely there can't be that excuse this time? But OpenGL and AMD it just a match made in hell. Those Steam Machines with AMD cards are going to be oodles of fun for people buying them.

Knurek

But OpenGL and AMD it just a match made in hell. Those Steam Machines with AMD cards are going to be oodles of fun for people buying them.

Valve just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about OpenGL under FOSS OSes (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in Windows where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Linuxland, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the *nux users, after hearing about this, are not going to want to purchase Half-Life 3 for either system, nor will they purchase any of Valve's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Valve has alienated an entire market with this move.

Valve, publicly apologize and cancel HL3 for SteamOS or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Ryne

ifLlEcN2aITCP.png

Should I open it?

Dr Dogg

Yeah, I don't think those companies have thought it through.

Well I think they figured out the cost and stopped at how it will perform. It's kind of like mobile phone manufacturers who scrimp on component costs and more importantly low internal memory and expect Google to work miracles with Android updates.

Valve just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about OpenGL under FOSS OSes (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in Windows where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Linuxland, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the *nux users, after hearing about this, are not going to want to purchase Half-Life 3 for either system, nor will they purchase any of Valve's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Valve has alienated an entire market with this move.

Valve, publicly apologize and cancel HL3 for SteamOS or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Hahahaha that post never gets old no matter how times it's repurposed.

Some random thoughts for some steam games I have played (or at least greenlight)

Groupees games:

I chose the following games to try using the scientific method of seeing which ones looked the least likely to be complete garbage (and trying The Lady just "because"). Tales of the Orient is probably worth a look as well,

Loot Hunters: I expected a light "Pirates" type game, but was somewhat surprised to find a "match 3" adventure. Similar to something like puzzle quest, you move around, buy items or receive quests to do and then occasional fight in match 3 battles.

Everything seems pretty good, it just needs that little bit of extra polish to be a decent steam game. The genre isn't exactly begging for more games, but I feel you could do worse.

A solid choice.

The Lady: I don't even....

You control the armless girl thing and you avoid things like glass as it falls from the top of the screen. You do this by waving your head at it and green stuff shoots out. But you can't let the glass hit you unless you are attacking, when it doesn't seem to matter.

Meanwhile shit flashes everywhere on the screen and other stuff shows up.

Oh and by the way:

Inspired by classic SNES and Turbo Grafx16 type games, gameplay features side-scrolling exploration and arcade-style battles. The difficulty level will be brutal like old school games, reminiscent of titles such as Ghost N Goblins.

Maybe it'll be like this quote one day, but the fuck it is right now.

It is something, god knows what that something is, but I doubt I'll ever play it again. Maybe it is worth owning in case it is secretly amazing or you just like stuff that is strange for the sake of being strange (I grant it a kind of cool spooky atmosphere).

Worth it? I doubt this.

Tales of the Orient: The Rising Sun

More match 3 goodness, this time with an Oriental theme. It seems a bit more puzzle based than Loot Hunters, along the lines of your candy crush saga I think (But I've never played that, so not 100% sure).

Like Loot Hunters, everything works but there isn't anything too special, there is also no pirates.

Once again can't go too far wrong.

Steam and Metal: This was the game that got me to buy the bundle because I enjoy a good shoot-em-up.

This is not a good shoot-em-up. The controls, animation and even the presentation was a big let down. There are much better examples of the genre on Desura and I see little to recommend here.

A sad pass

Magic Meisters: Did you ever want to make your own RPG? Then you download unity and start putting things together and it is all looking good. But then you realise even with your best effort things will look and feel really clunky and some bastard will play it for 5 minutes and then shit on the game on NeoGAF?

No? Well somebody out there knows those feels.

Looks like a fantastic effort, still not close to being something enjoyable to play. As soon as you try to move your character and venture out into an empty world you will understand.

A for effort.

Other games:

Ghost Master Reminded me of Haunting, a megadrive game I always wanted but never got (mainly because I never got a megadrive either). Everything fits together well enough, the tutorial is thorough, if not annoying in how you can't skip obvious steps and the base premise seems fine as you try to haunt people out of a series of locations.

Worth a quick look for next to nothing.

Finally beaten Dark Souls 2! Summons made the final boss too easy.

Edit: Steam kept saying "there was an error uploading 1 screenshots. steam cloud may be temporarily unavailable", so no screenshots for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom