• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lain

XBnVJ.png

Modbot lays down the law.
laugh.gif

What a great, short-lived thread. Nice to see Empress won something, just because I love the art of their game covers though. Still waiting for whoever it was (JastUSA?) to bring over Starless, one of their games.

Gangxxter

Just ordered a retail copy of Wolfenstein TNO from the UK and after that I checked steamdb.info if there has been any changes on the ROW sub. I was very delighted to see that Austria has been removed from the "PurchaseRestrictedCountries" list so I don't need a VPN connection to activate the game, wohooo! Now I can buy, activate and play Wolfenstein TNO uncut without violating Steam's TOS at all, nice!

But I'm confused though, where did the US sub go? I don't find it anymore on steamdb: http://steamdb.info/app/201810/subs/

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Just ordered a retail copy of Wolfenstein TNO from the UK and after that I checked steamdb.info if there has been any changes on the ROW sub. I was very delighted to see that Austria has been removed from the "PurchaseRestrictedCountries" list so I don't need a VPN connection to activate the game, wohooo! Now I can buy, activate and play Wolfenstein TNO uncut without violating Steam's TOS at all, nice!

But I'm confused though, where did the US sub go? I don't find it anymore on steamdb: http://steamdb.info/app/201810/subs/

There was no US sub. ROW = rest of world, i.e. every territory not covered by the Germany, Asia and Japan-specific subs.

QUBE will unlock in just a few hours but its page doesn't mention yet any prices nor whether owners of the original game will get a discounted price, or even better get it as a free update as happened with FTL
not going to happen

For those unfamiliar with the game, it is good, some mind-twisting physics puzzles along the lines of Portal.
It's up now. Owners of the original get a 50% discount.
This is what they said before
"Director's Cut will be free DLC for the Steam community. The Director's Cut boasts an all-new narrative, new soundtrack and a several extra puzzles. No shady marketing included, we also hate that!" - Shred Head, 17 jul 2013
They changed their minds though
Our original plan was to release the Director's Cut for free but due to spending a year adding an all new narrative, voice acting and soundtrack to the game which you can imagine takes time and money. The new price is very reasonable and we want every one to enjoy Q.U.B.E. Director's Cut.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/239430/discussions/0/522728000914519572/

Gangxxter

Your dorm net has download cap? That sucks!
Yeah, it's so stupid. 30 GB cap, after that my speed will be reduced to 0.5 mbit/s. It's crazy because in Austria internet flatrate deals without cap are the norm, there are virtually no internet providers who specifically offer deals with a data cap.

I really need to move to another dorm soon.

There was no US sub. ROW = rest of world, i.e. every territory not covered by the Germany, Asia and Japan-specific subs.
But last week this page listed subs named "Wolfenstein: The New Order" with the suffixes JP, ASIA, RU, ROW and at least one entry was without suffix. The one without suffix has disappeard now. I thought this was the US sub?
Phew, the whole sub thingy with Steam is so confusing, I still don't get it at all. Screw it, at least I know for sure that my UK import of Wolfenstein TNO will be uncut and I can activate and play it without problems in Austria.

Yeah, it's so stupid. 30 GB cap, after that my speed will be reduced to 0.5 mbit/s. It's crazy because in Austria internet flatrate deals without cap are the norm, there are virtually no internet providers who specifically offer deals with a data cap.

I really need to move to another dorm soon.
Usually dorm internet has some sort of limitations to prevent certain people, or compromised devices to use up all the traffic. But seriously, 30GBs per month is ridiculous. I got 100M/100M with 3GBs upload every 24 hours.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
But last week this page listed subs named "Wolfenstein: The New Order" with the suffixes JP, ASIA, RU, ROW and at least one entry was without suffix. The one without suffix has disappeard now. I thought this was the US sub?
Phew, the whole sub thingy with Steam is so confusing, I still don't get it at all. Screw it, at least I know for sure that my UK import of Wolfenstein TNO will be uncut and I can activate and play it without problems in Austria.

The name of the ROW pre-purchase sub was changed after the game unlocked for the sake of clarity:

Changed name Wolfenstein: The New Order › Wolfenstein: The New Order ROW Pre-Purchase about 20 hours ago

Edit: In other news, Max: The Curse of Brotherhood should be available in a matter of hours.

Knurek

Why not? The only problem of QUBE was its length, if they added let's say about an hour of gameplay it's worth it for newcomers.

For a new game? Sure.
This is not a new game though. Even if you have previous version of QUBE on Steam, you are still expected to pony up $5 (or more if you're from Europe) for changes that I personally think should be offered as a free upgrade (like, say, FTL:AE).

Man Transistor is so pretty, even the menu's are so crisp, worth my 15$ in keys. Only complaint is the story sort of starts without saying anything...aka no story..yet...

fantomena

Part of me was hoping the Harmonix Kickstarter would fail so they would go back to the drawing board and return with a spiritual successor not tied to Sony platforms.

Apparently Sony not only owns the IP, but also the gameplay mechanics. Though that seems like a strange excuse as I have never heard of that before.

But I'm a Steam shill, so what do I know?

Are you seriously saying that you hped their Kickstarted to fail jsut because it won't release on Steam? Man...

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
For a new game? Sure.
This is not a new game though. Even if you have previous version of QUBE on Steam, you are still expected to pony up $5 (or more if you're from Europe) for changes that I personally think should be offered as a free upgrade (like, say, FTL:AE).

I think we can agree that FTL did well for itself compared to QUBE.

aku:jiki

Just played a bit of Ascend: Hand of Kul.

Dont know how F2P affects the gameplay later on but its a nice game for a few hours.
The F2P aspect almost doesn't matter at all. I don't know MS allowed such a loose F2P system, because there's really no use in buying anything they offer you. I liked it enough to want to throw some money at it, like $5 or whatever, and the loot I bought was made useless within like an hour of play. You get better stuff in loot chests and ascending your characters means you'll be junking gear constantly anyway.

Oh, that is at least if you use the proper strategy of grinding down loot chest items until they break and replacing them with another item until it breaks etc. That way you're always rich and can afford new gear when you ascend, and buying a +3 axe of whatever with real money or like 250,000 souls is nonsense when you can easily find a +2 axe in chests.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
aku:jiki: Great analysis of Risk of Rain. I'm only a few hours in and I'm having nagging suspicions that the game is rigged like that, and I'm glad to see them put into words.

The F2P aspect almost doesn't matter at all. I don't know MS allowed such a loose F2P system, because there's really no use in buying anything they offer you. I liked it enough to want to throw some money at it, like $5 or whatever, and the loot I bought was made useless within like an hour of play. You get better stuff in loot chests and ascending your characters means you'll be junking gear constantly anyway.

Oh, that is at least if you use the proper strategy of grinding down loot chest items until they break and replacing them with another item until it breaks etc. That way you're always rich and can afford new gear when you ascend, and buying a +3 axe of whatever with real money or like 250,000 souls is nonsense when you can easily find a +2 axe in chests.

Your description about the f2p elements makes this game sounds interesting, how is the gameplay?

Ok I had enough. Installed Chrome and going to use it exclusively for ES. It didn't work with Cyberfox for some time now.

Is the Battleblock Theater market and inventory not working properly with it for anyone else? Would be easier to sell all those items.

Dolor

Just got done with 50 planet romp through Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion. Ended with a level 9 Titan and 14 level 9-10 capital ships which was jolly good fun.

I think it is about time to check out X:Rebirth again. It looks like (as hoped) Egosoft is trying pretty hard to patch the game into something it should have been at launch. New starting campaigns is the thing I am most excited about.

Only question is how I can play it with Van Helsing 2 and Tropico 5 about to drop.

Need to take a sick week...

Copons

Valve should have brought back Green Steam for their 10th birthday.

Edit: Just look at it, in all its glory!

012b94ac74c56da5a251b676b26befc7.png

I actually found it really cutting edge at the time. I was a novice web developer and I totally liked what Valve did with Steam. It was (at least for a non-user like me) so clean, so clear and yet so full of personality. It conveyed plenty of messages even just with the simple choice of color.
IIRC it was military/camo green with yellow (or it was orange?) highlights. It was so weird and yet so perfect.
I remember copying Valve/Steam site over and over, to replicate its cleanliness. Fun times indeed.
Way better than the random ok-to-meh thing we have today. :(

EDIT: but then again i'm a fucking programmer, so I'm fine with square boxes painted red and blue just because. :D

Just finished Infamous:SS and I'm going to give Metro 2033 a go.

Um, is there a setting that is wayyyyyyyyy too taxing or is Metro just really, really unoptimized? Trying to run it at max settings with AAA @ 1080p with a gtx 770 and an i7 4770k and I'm getting some pretty hard hits in the framerate at times.

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

ESCHALON BOOK I -- MB-75BD3D57CA57AADA - Taken by Myshkin. 5 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
YELAXOT (Desura) -- MB-EFC7795933D992FD
ESCHALON BOOK II -- MB-62CE3DC05D061488 - Taken by Henry Swanson. 4 entrants total.
RETRO/GRADE -- MB-CC9AFF8CA72D5010 - Taken by PossumMeat. 15 entrants total.

t1400688608z1.png

Um, is there a setting that is wayyyyyyyyy too taxing or is Metro just really, really unoptimized? Trying to run it at max settings with AAA @ 1080p with a gtx 770 and an i7 4770k and I'm getting some pretty hard hits in the framerate at times.

It is a beautiful game, not sure how taxing, I remember it played pretty well when I got it on high on a lesser card

Turn off DX11 DoF, switch the preset from very high to high. If that doesn't help, I guess start lowering the settings until you are comfortable with them.

Dr Dogg

I actually found it really cutting edge at the time. I was a novice web developer and I totally liked what Valve did with Steam. It was (at least for a non-user like me) so clean, so clear and yet so full of personality. It conveyed plenty of messages even just with the simple choice of color.
IIRC it was military/camo green with yellow (or it was orange?) highlights. It was so weird and yet so perfect.
I remember copying Valve/Steam site over and over, to replicate its cleanliness. Fun times indeed.
Way better than the random ok-to-meh thing we have today. :(

EDIT: but then again i'm a fucking programmer, so I'm fine with square boxes painted red and blue just because. :D

Hahaha what I find hilarious is the near decade fight to get away from square design and all the little hacks like putting 4 seperate div in your layout all with a rounded corner image and then the css border radius property only for shift back to flat tabular design. All that fighting for progress only to go back to boxes.

As someone who works primarily in print I can't stand the some of the hacks needs to get some great web layout and design going. Text flow is just a nightmare even with css trickery compared to what I can do in a flash in InDesign.

I'm surprised Valve haven't included the legacy theme as a skin. Then again I'm sure someone has made a replica.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member

Try running it on DX10 instead of 11.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom