• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

MUnited83

For you.
5tcH99L.png

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
damn only need Ku from that indieroyale, grrrr

also, only 50% discount on qube dir.cut from having the normal version? lol

Vlad

- Very little loot. If I were to guess, I'd say the game has maybe 75 items, which should be plenty, but the majority of them do the same thing! There's really only a few items when you break it down; increased HP/regen in various forms, increased rate of fire or damage, and various RPG-styled "chance to..." items like setting enemies on fire or healing yourself on crit. There are a couple of rare items that significantly change things up, like the ones that lower (or, if stacked, completely remove) your ability cooldown or the one that lets you shoot lasers on top of your basic projectiles, but the majority of the rares don't really do anything unique either. There's nothing like Binding of Isaac's technology, quad shot, wavey bullets and whatever else. You have your basic attack and abilities and can buff those, but that's it.

I thought this way at first, too, especially as I've played a TON of BoI, but after a little thinking about it, I didn't mind it too much. The game is more focused on the characters and their different abilities, with the items just adding a small variance to it. BoI's characters, on the other hand, are basically just Isaac with slightly different stats and different starting abilities. Each of the characters in Risk of Rain requires an entirely different playstyle. No matter how many items you get, you're never going to approach a situation the same way with a Sniper that you would with Acrid. In BoI, your approach to situations changes depending on the items you've gotten after having started off from same baseline every time.

- The timer-based difficulty tops out at "HAHAHAH" or about an hours worth of play. It never gets any harder at that point. You can still die, but I made three laps in a 130 minute run yesterday and I could open the blast doors on the last level by just standing still by the switch and firing behind me, so it doesn't exactly get to be very hard. The game is very punishing and difficult in the beginning, but after a certain point, it gets to be pretty easy and could use a buff to stay interesting.

What difficulty were you playing on? Personally, it took me way longer than 10 hours of playtime to get a feel for the game on the normal setting.

- The Command artifact destroys the game. I know, I can opt to not use it but I can't bring myself to do that... I need to use the most optimal way to play a game, or I'll feel stupid. Command lets you manually pick loot any time loot would drop, so you just end up giving yourself 10x attack speed, 10x health/regen and 10x crit/flame/etc damage on every run. It gets old fast.

So don't use it? Were you using the Command artifact on the run you mentioned before where you were hideously overpowered?

I just found out about the Artifacts yesterday, as they're a fairly recent addition to the game. After unlocking a few, I do have to agree that Command is hideously overpowered, and doesn't really fit in with the rest of them at all (most of the other artifacts seem to make the game harder overall), although I haven't found all of them yet. If anything, Command should have had a special condition for being unlocked, like beating the game on hard with every character or something.

- Conversely, if you don't use Command, the game can become disappointingly item-dependant. You can always do enough damage and survive by just leveling, but if you end up with just spikestrips and the piggy bank, you will not be standing much of a chance on the final level. Letting you loop the game before heading there is a nice way to solve that, but it's also a waste of time. No point in making that run work if you can just start over and get better loot in level 1.

If you literally only have those two items on the final level, you've done something very, very wrong. Even on runs where I try to really rush through to beat the clock (beating the game with the Mercenary on hard, for example), I had at least a row of items and a few drones. Sure, sometimes you get screwed, but between the more common drops like the knife, glasses, crowbar, etc, you can usually have enough damage output to survive. If I'm getting a bunch of regen-based items, I'll use those to max out on the shrines that require health (the ones on the second to the last level are great, as they'll give you a pair of items at a time).

- Boar Beach is a bad idea. I know, same as Command, I can choose not to use it... But I also have to. It's a hidden area that's pretty common and allows you to grind infinite easy bosses (Scavenger/Toxic Beast), meaning you can give yourself infinity-level damage, health, regen and so on. All it takes is a 30 minute investment to give yourself literally 100+ items and make yourself unstoppable.

Huh, never even heard of Boar Beach until I read your post. Just went and looked it up and yes, that does seem a little ridiculous. It's definitely hidden (never even stumbled upon it during the 70 hours I've clocked in the game), and certainly seems a little unbalanced. That's definitely the dev's fault for putting something like that so that's it's accessible during a normal run. At least the Command artifact is optional.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
So apparently the QUBE devs recanted on their promise of a free upgrade to the Director's Cut.

July
Director's Cut will be free DLC for the Steam community. The Director's Cut boasts an all-new narrative, new soundtrack and a several extra puzzles. No shady marketing included, we also hate that!
deleted forum post

Today
Our original plan was to release the Director's Cut for free but due to spending a year adding an all new narrative, voice acting and soundtrack to the game which you can imagine takes time and money. The new price is very reasonable and we want every one to enjoy Q.U.B.E. Director's Cut.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/203730/discussions/0/522728000914761102/

Gangxxter

Since Austria, Israel, Japan and Switzerland were removed as restricted countries it stands to reason that either they'll be added to the override list or, in what would make more sense since Germany is a prohibited country, the general release state will be changed.
I hope you're right. I don't get my hopes up though because (as you know) Bethesda has announced in an official press statement that the international version of Wolfenstein won't be available in Germany and Austria. Although they've never mentioned Switzerland, Israel or Japan which is strange and might be a glimpse of hope that the original version will be available in Austria one day.

To ban the original version in Austria makes sense though because our laws concerning Nazi stuff are very similar to those in Germany.

Chompy Chomp Chomp has reasonably simple achievements for Playfire. Unfortunately the game keeps crashing on me so I can't get two of them done :(

aku:jiki

I thought this way at first, too, especially as I've played a TON of BoI, but after a little thinking about it, I didn't mind it too much. The game is more focused on the characters and their different abilities, with the items just adding a small variance to it. BoI's characters, on the other hand, are basically just Isaac with slightly different stats and different starting abilities. Each of the characters in Risk of Rain requires an entirely different playstyle. No matter how many items you get, you're never going to approach a situation the same way with a Sniper that you would with Acrid. In BoI, your approach to situations changes depending on the items you've gotten after having started off from same baseline every time.
Oh, I agree with all of those things. The character gallery is deeper than in Isaac and the variation is more interesting, for sure, but it's also true that all characters gain the most from the same buffs. All characters need +attack speed, +damage, +health, +regen and gravy items like chance to set fires or explode or electrify are as nice for Acrid as they are for Sniper. You can pick other items than Soldier's Syringe, Mysterious Vial, Crowbar and Bustling Fungus for various builds...but why would you want to? No character can make Spikestrip or Gasoline amazing, but all characters are amazing with 10x Soldier's Syringe.

(Haven't actually tested Miner, HAN-D or Mercenary yet.)

What difficulty were you playing on? Personally, it took me way longer than 10 hours of playtime to get a feel for the game on the normal setting.
I have only ever played on Rainstorm (normal).

So don't use it? Were you using the Command artifact on the run you mentioned before where you were hideously overpowered?
Yes, and I've done two more runs like it without posting about it because it feels so old hat now.

I can't not use Command because it's a tool available in the game and I'm an optimization freak in everything I do; I can't limit myself for fun because that's not fun for me. I want to use all available tools to perform the best I possibly can. Command is the most powerful thing in the game, so I must use it, but it's not very fun.

If anything, Command should have had a special condition for being unlocked, like beating the game on hard with every character or something.
Agreed! There's an artifact that only unlocks once you beat the game with all other artifacts on. That should've been Command. It's absurd that Command is actually the easiest artifact to grab! You just climb a few ropes and there you go...

If you literally only have those two items on the final level, you've done something very, very wrong. Even on runs where I try to really rush through to beat the clock (beating the game with the Mercenary on hard, for example), I had at least a row of items and a few drones. Sure, sometimes you get screwed, but between the more common drops like the knife, glasses, crowbar, etc, you can usually have enough damage output to survive. If I'm getting a bunch of regen-based items, I'll use those to max out on the shrines that require health (the ones on the second to the last level are great, as they'll give you a pair of items at a time).
I do, of course, recognize that it's not very likely but it can happen that you have nothing but terrible items and, if you do, you're going to have a very tough time with the last level and Providence. Hence my calling the game item-dependant.

MUnited83

For you.
What's the deal with item numbers in TF2 trading? Do higher numbers sell better or visaversa?

Do you mean the levels? They really don't mind at all, and it will sell for the same price basically. There are a few people that collect items of a specific number (like 42 or 69) and you might get a slightly better deal from those people, but they are quite rare.

If you mean the crafting number, like #1,#2, etc, you can get a pretty damn good price if you got one of the first 100/200

Aaron D.

Tropico 5 in 2 days aaaah why is no one excited ;_;

Beats me.

To quote myself from yesterday.

So is Steam Search broken or is there really no Tropico 5 OT?

Comes out this Friday and Steam is selling 4-pack pre-orders for $27 a pop (per person). Has a bunch of pre-order bonuses including T5 DLC, T4 & Omerta - City of Gangsters.

I'm personally stoked as hell. WAY more excited for T5 than any of the other big-hitters landing in the current window (Wolfenstein, Watch Dogs, Transistor, etc.).

To each their own, I guess.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I wish Blizzard sold their games on Steam.

Definitely would rebuy Starcraft II and the expansion, as well as Diablo 3 and the expansion, as long as they converted their in-game achievements to Steam achievements.

Dr Dogg

Definitely would rebuy Starcraft II and the expansion, as well as Diablo 3 and the expansion, as long as they converted their in-game achievements to Steam achievements.

I get the feeling a Blizzard on Steam announcement would coincide with a Enhanced Steam updates on hold one as well ;)

Some of those Diablo III ones take flipping ages.

Grief.exe

I wish Blizzard sold their games on Steam.

Didn't Blizzard sell a ridiculous amount of Diablo III copies in the first week despite its shortcomings? Always online, dumbed down skills/combat, etc.

It dawned on me the other day when looking at the E3 conference schedule

• Microsoft – June 9, 9:30 AM PT / 12:30 PM
  • EA – June 9, 12 PM PT / 3 PM ET
  • Ubisoft – June 9, 3 PM PT / 6 PM ET
  • Sony – June 9, 6 PM PT / 9 PM ET
  • Nintendo (Digital Event) – June 10, 9 AM PT / 12 PM ETPer usual,

The only multiplatform developers at the conference have their own, separate DRM schemes and I tend to ignore their games, though for different reasons.
EA because they are a garbage publisher, and Ubisoft due to their garbage DRM.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The chance of it happening is even slimmer than EA ditching Origin for Steam.

True - though me personally I'd rather have Blizzard games on Steam than EA games on Steam.

We can still dream, right?

Aaron D.

header_292x136.jpg

Firefighters 2014

Steam said:
House fires, traffic accidents and large-scale emergencies: Experience the day-to-day life of the fire department in “Firefighters 2014 – The Simulation Game”!
Finally, what firefighter simulation fans have been waiting on for a long time – play and immerse yourself in the daily operations of a fire department: traffic accidents on the highway, fires in the city and in the countryside, subway derailments and much more.

The long-awaited arrival for fans of firefighter simulations: Experience the day-to-day life of the fire department.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRN5QyDlT7I

tg6IUPZ.jpg

Grief.exe

The chance of it happening is even slimmer than EA ditching Origin for Steam.

You would be surprised. Outside of Battlefield and The Old Republic, Origin isn't exactly doing that well.

Titanfall struggled, though that may be a combination of factors including PC players writing off lower skill-ceiling shooters as of late.

I can't believe the amount of money that TOR pulls in as it is a very mediocre game based on outdated gameplay, but I find it hard to believe it will continue growing overtime. Eventually, they will start losing players to newer and better MMOs.

You would be surprised. Outside of Battlefield and The Old Republic, Origin isn't exactly doing that well.

Titanfall struggled, though that may be a combination of factors including PC players writing off lower skill-ceiling shooters as of late.

I can't believe the amount of money that TOR pulls in as it is a very mediocre game based on outdated gameplay, but I find it hard to believe it will continue growing overtime. Eventually, they will start losing players to newer and better MMOs.

TOR also cost a LOT of money to put out. Do we know if they are out of the red on it, yet?

I attribute TF's struggles more to the lack of depth in regards to content than the gameplay lacking in depth. When compared to the other major shooter that's exclusive on Origin - BF4 - that Titanfall was a full priced $60 dollar release is downright embarrassing.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

is TOR pulling in good money since going F2P?

this is how it did last year

top-10-superdata.jpg

damn. wtf is Crossfire and Maplestory? and why is WOW there, its not f2p

True - though me personally I'd rather have Blizzard games on Steam than EA games on Steam.

We can still dream, right?
I want to believe :(

I doubt that those games would do well if they were put on Steam, because it sounds like the problems lie with the game quality, not the service itself. Going Origin exclusive prevents Valve getting 30% cut from the already lackluster sales number, EA would do better by staying that way, assuming nobody actually "boycotts" Origin .
Isn't he more of a Blizzard guy? He does a lot of Starcraft and Hearthstone stuff
He's the manager of team Axiom.

I attribute TF's struggles more to the lack of depth in regards to content than the gameplay lacking in depth. When compared to the other major shooter that's exclusive on Origin - BF4 - that Titanfall was a full priced $60 dollar release is downright embarrassing.

If the game play really had that much depth people would still be playing it. Overpriced or no.

_hekk05

Banned
Road to Sura Day 4

Server maintenance means I end my day early. Time to read manga and watch anime

Rare drops of the day: Puente Robe[1] from Sohee, 0.04% chance, and lvl 7 cookbook from Evil Druid, 0.05% chance.

It's coming to a point where grinding is disgustingly hard. I'm also getting level penalties by fighting monsters that are 5 levels and above my level. Bloody glast heim

And once I hit 99 and transcend, I gotta do all this again, with twice the exp requirements. Happy times ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom