• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

damn. wtf is Crossfire and Maplestory? and why is WOW there, its not f2p

Asia answers all of your questions essentially.

WOW pulls in much more than $200 million a year on subscriptions alone, but the F2P portion earns that amount.

Road to Sura Day 4

A5C8C076A408355F3EC05670B4D29DA25B777297

Server maintenance means I end my day early. Time to read manga and watch anime

Rare drops of the day: Puente Robe[1] from Sohee, 0.04% chance, and lvl 7 cookbook from Evil Druid, 0.05% chance.

It's coming to a point where grinding is disgustingly hard. I'm also getting level penalties by fighting monsters that are 5 levels and above my level. Bloody glast heim

And once I hit 99 and transcend, I gotta do all this again, with twice the exp requirements. Happy times ahead

I used to play that game many, many years ago.

Not for very long though.

Amzin

I have only ever played on Rainstorm (normal).

I can't not use Command because it's a tool available in the game and I'm an optimization freak in everything I do; I can't limit myself for fun because that's not fun for me. I want to use all available tools to perform the best I possibly can. Command is the most powerful thing in the game, so I must use it, but it's not very fun.

I do, of course, recognize that it's not very likely but it can happen that you have nothing but terrible items and, if you do, you're going to have a very tough time with the last level and Providence. Hence my calling the game item-dependant.

So if a game has a godmode cheat, you have to use it? This is effectively the same thing, there is 0 chance I can lose a game even on the hardest difficulty using Command. It's godmode, infinite ammo all rolled into one. It's a cheat that you are enabling and using and saying it makes the game less fun. It does, that's why people only use cheats for doing silly stuff for brief periods of time.

No reason not to play it on a harder setting if you're using command, either. Or you should play it on easy since that is the most 'optimal' way to play if you want to win. My brother and I have played a ton of RoR together before artifacts came in, we managed to beat it on the hardest setting several times but a lot of times you just die because you're unlucky or not good enough (or both). Obviously there's no 'wrong' way to play a game, but using a cheat and playing it on normal over and over and complaining that it's not hard and it's boring is about as close as you can get.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I attribute TF's struggles more to the lack of depth in regards to content than the gameplay lacking in depth. When compared to the other major shooter that's exclusive on Origin - BF4 - that Titanfall was a full priced $60 dollar release is downright embarrassing.

I'd take the Valve game figures with a grain of salt since they were all but assuredly extrapolated from the very little data that Valve does divulge.

Edit: Atari is finally bringing its GOG library to Steam? I hope Blood shows up sooner rather than later... and maybe Riddick will finally return.

Edit edit: I'm a dumbo and thought you were referring to Team Fortress' position in the list, haha. Never mind.

Dolor

Going Origin exclusive prevents Valve getting 30% cut from the already lackluster sales number, EA would do better by staying that way, assuming nobody actually "boycotts" Origin .

I think the number of actual boycotters of Origin (of which I am a member) is probably pretty low.

What I think the real problem is with Origin is that gamers only have so much time and mindshare to give to storefronts. Being off Steam puts them out of the spotlight, and gamers kind of have to go looking for them in order to get them (plenty of my friends that I have convinced to sign up for Steam that log in every day don't even know what Origin is).

It's analogous to moving your retail store off a very busy street to an empty one. Sure, the rent is cheaper, but everyone forgets you're there and/or won't bother to go to where you've moved.

Titanfall sold fewer copies on Origin than Space Engineers did on Steam... That is pretty telling.

When you need additional content to be engaged with a shooter that's pretty telling. You either need compelling gameplay/mode or a compelling service model. Or both. TF has neither from what I can tell.

I only played the beta (got solid 10 hours of enjoyment of it and thought there wasn't more in it) and the most popular mode was Attrition, which is basically TD. If that didn't change for the full release not surprised it lost steam.

Look at CS. Bomb Defusal has been the go to mode for the longest time and maps like Dust2 and Inferno are the most popular maps. And weapon wise it's usually AKs and the M4As. Community is still there.

Interfectum

I doubt that those games would do well if they were put on Steam, because it sounds like the problems lie with the game quality, not the service itself. Going Origin exclusive prevents Valve getting 30% cut from the already lackluster sales number, EA would do better by staying that way, assuming nobody actually "boycotts" Origin .

I think Titanfall would have done much better on Steam.

Series like Battlefield and Star Wars are big enough to pull people away from Steam temporarily to play those games. A new IP like Titanfall would have benefited greatly from being released on a thriving online community like Steam. Even if Valve takes 30%, EA left a lot of money on the table with that game, IMO.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I think Titanfall would have done much better on Steam.

Series like Battlefield and Star Wars are big enough to pull people away from Steam temporarily to play those games. A new IP like Titanfall would have benefited greatly from being released on a thriving online community like Steam. Even if Valve takes 30%, EA left a lot of money on the table with that game, IMO.

EA's leaving a lot of money on the table with everything. Every time an EA game is a featured deal it flies up the Top Sellers list, with the most recent example being Dragon Age.

When you need additional content to be engaged with a shooter that's pretty telling. You either need compelling gameplay/mode or a compelling service model. Or both. TF has neither from what I can tell.

I only played the beta (got solid 10 hours of enjoyment of it and thought there wasn't more in it) and the most popular mode was Attrition, which is basically TD. If that didn't change for the full release not surprised it lost steam.

Look at CS. Bomb Defusal has been the go to mode for the longest time and maps like Dust2 and Inferno are the most popular maps. And weapon wise it's usually AKs and the M4As. Community is still there.

Couldn't agree more, the lack of content forced people to focus on the game play. I'm sure Titanfall 2 will "fix" the issues though.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Got this from the Lazy Guys bundle. Already had it from Groupees.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Chompy Chomp Chomp -- MB-0960D6C50D26028F - Taken by Nabs

Knurek

Edit: Atari is finally bringing its GOG library to Steam? I hope Blood shows up sooner rather than later... and maybe Riddick will finally return.

Not sure about that - store page doesn't show any publisher info (just the developer).
Might just be self-published by Chris Sawyer?

... Star Wars name brand is just too strong im surprised EA doesn't make more games with it.

I agree. The brand alone is what keeps that game viable. I'm not sure about potential growth, but it certainly has grown since going F2P.

It depends on where you read it, so the game development was either $500M, $200M or $150M. If this year continues the same as last year, the gamble may have paid off.

Dolor

Apples to oranges, one costs 60$ and the other 20$, but no doubt Titanfall would have done better in Steam.

And Titanfall was marketed more than almost any game I've seen, touted as the second coming of MP shooters, and PC was the only alternative to get it if you didn't have/want an Xbox.

And as was already stated, Space Engineers is an Early Access game. By a no-name developer on a no-name engine.

Sure, there are differences clearly, but I would be surprised if anyone in December would have expected Space Engineers to outsell Titanfall on PC.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I think the number of actual boycotters of Origin (of which I am a member) is probably pretty low.

I'm one. Before I was mostly just a grumbler, and I did avoid Origin but installed it to play Dead Space 3 from the Humble Origin Bundle--incidentally, a pretty flawed game. But now I'm a boycotter. "Life's too short to drink bad wine" ~Chicken Soup for the Soul or whatever. I've been sort of steadily removing superfluous software from my computer and switching away from products made by less scrupulous companies in general.

There are more than enough games that interest me without having to deal with Origin or UPlay, so I now refuse to deal with Origin or UPlay. Problem solved. If I miss out on Rayman Legends, Mirror's Edge 2 or PvZ Garden Warfare, oh well. I'm not going to have enough time in my life to play all the games I want to play anyway. I don't expect to get a next gen console at any point, but if I do I guess I'll buy those games there if I must, as it'll be less stupid than dealing with the client on the computer.

But I agree, for most people it's not that they boycott Origin, it's that they don't think about it, and the loss of eyeballs hurts Origin software more than Origin itself does.

What I think the real problem is with Origin is that gamers only have so much time and mindshare to give to storefronts. Being off Steam puts them out of the spotlight, and gamers kind of have to go looking for them in order to get them (plenty of my friends that I have convinced to sign up for Steam that log in every day don't even know what Origin is).

It's analogous to moving your retail store off a very busy street to an empty one. Sure, the rent is cheaper, but everyone forgets you're there and/or won't bother to go to where you've moved.

Titanfall sold fewer copies on Origin than Space Engineers did on Steam... That is pretty telling.
Interesting analogy, it is probably true to years old titles, and they are usually available on steam.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm one. Before I was mostly just a grumbler, and I did avoid Origin but installed it to play Dead Space 3 from the Humble Origin Bundle--incidentally, a pretty flawed game. But now I'm a boycotter. "Life's too short to drink bad wine" ~Chicken Soup for the Soul or whatever. I've been sort of steadily removing superfluous software from my computer and switching away from products made by less scrupulous companies in general.

There are more than enough games that interest me without having to deal with Origin or UPlay, so I now refuse to deal with Origin or UPlay. Problem solved. If I miss out on Rayman Legends, Mirror's Edge 2 or PvZ Garden Warfare, oh well. I'm not going to have enough time in my life to play all the games I want to play anyway. I don't expect to get a next gen console at any point, but if I do I guess I'll buy those games there if I must, as it'll be less stupid than dealing with the client on the computer.

But I agree, for most people it's not that they boycott Origin, it's that they don't think about it, and the loss of eyeballs hurts Origin software more than Origin itself does.
I'm currently an effective Origin boycotter -- I do think EA is back to being a pretty crappy company, but it's more that there is literally not a single game that requires Origin that I really want. Not interested in the Dead Space series, not really interested in in the new Battlefield game(s), and not super interested in the Crysis games (if Crysis 3 shows up on Steam I would probably pick it up on sale).

I am not a true hardcore boycotter though, since Mirror's Edge is one of my favorite games ever, and I would unfortunately probably get Mirror's Edge 2 even if it had some awful always-online DRM. I -wish- it would show up on Steam, and I think it would benefit the franchise and developers if it did so, but I naturally expect it to be Origin only.

Do releases of old games like this show up on the "New Releases" tab? I normally get my news on what games are coming out via this tab, but I don't see the Tycoon games there. *edit* I literally JUST refreshed the store page and now they show up in new releases. That answers that!

Of course, with the normal Steam client and no mods, checking multiple games from the new releases/top sellers/specials tabs is super obnoxious anyway, oh well.

Lunaniem

Do releases of old games like this show up on the "New Releases" tab? I normally get my news on what games are coming out via this tab, but I don't see the Tycoon games there. *edit* I literally JUST refreshed the store page and now they show up in new releases. That answers that!

Of course, with the normal Steam client and no mods, checking multiple games from the new releases/top sellers/specials tabs is super obnoxious anyway, oh well.

Sometimes it takes a little bit for a game to show up in the new releases after it comes out on the store.

34 games on Origin... with faster download speeds than Steam and the one time I had to go to customer service it was a great experience.

Most of the complaints I hear are FUD, but I'm sure there have been some bad experiences, which sucks. But hey, rock on with your boycott. Power to the people and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom