• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So I picked up Sherlock and Jurassic Park in the Amazon sale. Now with Arkham Origins I'm debating whether or not to get the season pass or wait till the summer sale. On the one hand, I don't give a shit about the skins, and would rather just get Initiation, Cold, Cold Heart, and the Black Mask challenge pack at maybe 75% this summer. On the other hand, the DLC might never be on sale again, and they could release a GOTY edition and delete the DLC packs like they did before...

Was going to click on that link but then I remembered in the last week along I've bought Dynasty Warriors 8, Wolfenstein, and Drakengard 3 so I should stop. Especially if I want to get Watch Dogs, really want to see more PC footage.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
is drakengard 3 not releasing on PC? or just not on steam?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I was going to pass on Always Sometimes Monsters but the Steam comments are just fascinating. Some people's playthroughs are over in minutes, an hour, some people have played 5 hours and haven't reached the "end". A few are saying the game is 10 hours. Am I reading that right? Playing through the game once can take 10 hours? Or is multiple plathroughs trying different choices over 10 hours?

It sounds like the kind of branching narrative game I always wanted. I enjoyed TWD but I never replayed it because it never felt like making new meaningful choices, but rather "Oh, I'll choose that dialogue choice because I chose something different last time"

Still on the fence about this

Eurogamers Review for the game is glowing.

Took me around 9 hours to get to the end of Always Sometimes Monsters. Too tired to go in any real detail but some "playthroughs" are really short because you can die by making certain choices which pulls up an ending screen. The game does have actual endings with credit roles. Not to imply that the game is trial and error based or lacking real choices, there is some really clever stuff in the game about how your character develops.

Dice

Why does Ubisoft hinder their sales and make all their games U-play?
I tried to hold out for Steam, but recently cracked and got Blacklist and Far Cry 3 at GamersGate, which makes their more recent reluctance with Driver more frustrating.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Oh man, Lego Movie Game on sale?!

iYHJo0GDgIfq6.gif

Took me around 9 hours to get to the end of Always Sometimes Monsters. Too tired to go in any real detail but some "playthroughs" are really short because you can die by making certain choices which pulls up an ending screen. The game does have actual endings with credit roles. Not to imply that the game is trial and error based or lacking real choices, there is some really clever stuff in the game about how your character develops.
That's pretty impressive. From previews, I was expecting like a short 2-3 hour experience that would be highly replayable, but I certainly didn't expect playthroughs to be that long (this is a good thing).

Can you say in a non-spoiler way, how varied the playthroughs can be? Like it kind of the same basic general path every time, but you can affect the situations, or could playthroughs branch off in completely different ways compared to others?

Aquamarine posted this in the NPD thread. <150k sales despite being in top 10.

1/3 of the top 10 games were lego games for last month. Like stallion said, these games aren't very costly to make and in a post-Lego-Movie world I'm pretty sure they're going to either keep selling or sell even more. That's theyre regularly going for $5 on PC isn't a sign that they aren't selling well so much as they're probably not selling gangbusters on PC.

aku:jiki

Man, I hate ditching a game at the very end of it, but I can't deal with the last shitty achievement in Risk of Rain. Got all the characters, did all their challenges, got almost the entire item log (I've killed like 8 billion magma wurms and never once seen its unique drop!) and unlocked all the artifacts. Doing the all artifact run to unlock the final one was a good bit of last challenge.

Really hate closing the book with a chapter left in it, but the last one is "drown 20 whorls". Play over and over until I not only get the underwater level, but get there with an adequate level of power but not too much so I can knock them back without killing them, get lucky in that it has active spawns AND that I don't get there too late so the Whorls don't spawn anymore. I mean, at that point, why not just put a slot machine on the main menu and have me pull that for five straight hours? It'd save me time at least.

Oh well, great game even if I wasn't enamored with every aspect of it and found parts of it disappointing. Well worth the 30 hour completion! Now I want to buy Nuclear Throne...

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Despite it's apparently bad sales, I really enjoyed Lego The Hobbit.

I played it for 32 hours and got to 100%. I'm happy with what I paid for it, even though I paid more than $15.

Dice

Man, I hate ditching a game at the very end of it, but I can't deal with the last shitty achievement in Risk of Rain.
I dropped Psychonauts halfway through the meat circus and just watched the rest on youtube. I regret nothing! I hate challenges like that and the one you describe, where there is some drawn out multi-part thing with chance timing and stupid AI in the mix before even getting to the part you want another shot at. It is bad game design and I don't play games for pure chores.

Tizoc

Russiabucks my friend, Russiabucks. You can already get it for cheaper than that :)

Hmm I should try Steam trading again then...
I can find offers for Divinity Dragon Commander for like 3 TF2 keys, but that'd mean the game would be for like under $9ish, and I'm a bit suspect about that lol.

Zafir

I can find offers for Divinity Dragon Commander for like 3 TF2 keys, but that'd mean the game would be for like under $9ish, and I'm a bit suspect about that lol.
It's because it was on sale recently. As long as you use Steams trade system you're covered if it gets revoked.

_hekk05

Banned
I'm playing War of the Human Tanks for the Playfire rewards, and man do these poor girls not have rights. The poor herald's life consisted of her delivering a message of maybe 2 sentences, then she exploded.

didamangi

I dropped Psychonauts halfway through the meat circus and just watched the rest on youtube. I regret nothing! I hate challenges like that and the one you describe, where there is some drawn out multi-part thing with chance timing and stupid AI in the mix before even getting to the part you want another shot at. It is bad game design and I don't play games for pure chores.

Just finished Psychonauts recently as well, the meat circus was patched to be easier than it was before believe it or not.

I'm playing War of the Human Tanks for the Playfire rewards, and man do these poor girls not have rights. The poor herald's life consisted of her delivering a message of maybe 2 sentences, then she exploded.

Easy and fast GMG credits that. I just hold ctrl through the entire talking parts.

MUnited83

For you.

Was on sale recently, and many people stocked up on copies from 4-packs. I got my copy for like 5$ :)

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 8 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Magicka Wizard Wars -- MB-AF5010990A101A98 - Taken by tjohn86. 2 entrants total.
Worms Revolution Gold -- MB-79BD895426824764 - Taken by _hekk05. 2 entrants total.
Worms Pinball -- MB-D8CF3E0A25A90C67 - Taken by Gangxxter. 1 entrants total.
Worms Crazy Golf -- MB-FA40B443E316C2FE - Taken by masterkajo. 2 entrants total.
Doorways I & II -- MB-995D53F1763DDED8 - Taken by kurahador. 1 entrants total.
Sweezy Gunner -- MB-E4ACD57A53DE2D4C - Taken by Cth. 1 entrants total.
Clickr -- MB-5AD23C3F52DABE81 - Taken by okayfrog. 2 entrants total.
Worms Blast -- MB-5BDF549645DA2825 - Taken by CrunchyFrog. 3 entrants total.

t1400769132z1.png

There'a difficulty spike at the end for sure...I wouldn't call it bad design though. That place never really gave me any problems, and that was before the balance patch.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
I was going to pass on Always Sometimes Monsters but the Steam comments are just fascinating. Some people's playthroughs are over in minutes, an hour, some people have played 5 hours and haven't reached the "end". A few are saying the game is 10 hours. Am I reading that right? Playing through the game once can take 10 hours? Or is multiple plathroughs trying different choices over 10 hours?

It sounds like the kind of branching narrative game I always wanted. I enjoyed TWD but I never replayed it because it never felt like making new meaningful choices, but rather "Oh, I'll choose that dialogue choice because I chose something different last time"

Still on the fence about this

I'm still on my first play through, currently on day 7 of 30 and I'm two hours into the game. I'm not sure how meaningful the choices are, but I'll probably end up doing another play through soon after I finish my first, picking different choices.

I think it's the real Batman/Bruce Wayne. The one we're playing is going to turned out to be a robot controlled by that ventriloquist dude.

By far the best guess I've seen yet.

nexen

Tried that streaming thing last night. Was shocked to find it played non-steam games just fine. My wireless network is apparently shit though. Anytime there were too many deltas in the frame it would stutter. My buddy had no such issues so I blame my gear right now.
I did have an issue where it was leaving zombie copies of the games running on the remote machine. Came downstairs this morning to find my box was still running three different games.
Still, if they work out the kinks I don't think I'll have to upgrade my laptop ever again and that is going to save me a ton of money.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It benefits immensely from co-op.

It also benefits immensely from UPlay.

Said no one ever.

Kaptain Brawe 2 kickstarter page

If funded, story will be made by Steve Ince (Monkey Island, Beneath a Steel Sky).

Btw, how good is the first one?

Kaptain Brawe is actually an enjoyable, good looking little game. It's a humorous goofy adventure game that feels closest to the LucasArts adventure games, although the writing and puzzles aren't as good. I stopped about 80% of the way through the game. I'd definitely buy a second instalment at some point. Very generous GAFfer Of All Trades gifted me the game several years ago, which I'm very grateful for.

Blade Kitten... isn't very good. The controls are unresponsive, the enemies random and the levels seem to stretch on for hours.

Completely agreed on all fronts. I played the 360 demo, which only has one level, and it lasted what felt like an hour. Enormous, endless, mostly repetitive and samey level segments. Ugh. I think their target audience was the kind of person that plays Bubsy 3D's first level ten thousand times or something.

Oh well, great game even if I wasn't enamored with every aspect of it and found parts of it disappointing.

This sounds remarkably like my summary of Rogue Legacy. I liked the game and recommend it, but every time I post about it it's to point out that I think the game is mostly a shallow low-skill grind masquerading as a skillful, deep game.

I dropped Psychonauts halfway through the meat circus and just watched the rest on youtube.

I played Psychonauts for the first time in 2010 or 2011, on PC, after the Steamworks patch for the game... and I died I think once in Meat Circus. Not only did I not find it hard, I was downright shocked to see that other people found it hard. I don't even know which segments people actually find hard. I read that originally there were no checkpoints, but I still don't quite get what the actual challenge was that people found with it. Like, why is it considered hard?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Tried that streaming thing last night. Was shocked to find it played non-steam games just fine. My wireless network is apparently shit though. Anytime there were too many deltas in the frame it would stutter. My buddy had no such issues so I blame my gear right now.
I did have an issue where it was leaving zombie copies of the games running on the remote machine. Came downstairs this morning to find my box was still running three different games.
Still, if they work out the kinks I don't think I'll have to upgrade my laptop ever again and that is going to save me a ton of money.

Yeah, I didn't have much luck with streaming over wireless, but I was expecting as much. At some point I'll purchase an Ethernet over Power kit.

Copons

It just occurred to me that in less than 4 hours we're going to be twice as flabbergasted by both the new astounding Humble Daily Bundle and the new overwhelmingly cool Humble Weekly Bundle!

Yours truly,
The Humble Shill

humbleshill.jpg

I'm deeply sorry, but today in the office everything is boring as shit. :(

Volimar

It just occurred to me that in less than 4 hours we're going to be twice as flabbergasted by both the new astounding Humble Daily Bundle and the new overwhelmingly cool Humble Weekly Bundle!

Yours truly,
The Humble Shill

humbleshill.jpg

I'm deeply sorry, but today in the office everything is boring as shit. :(

SpCbHBI.jpg

Vlad

Man, I hate ditching a game at the very end of it, but I can't deal with the last shitty achievement in Risk of Rain. Got all the characters, did all their challenges, got almost the entire item log (I've killed like 8 billion magma wurms and never once seen its unique drop!) and unlocked all the artifacts. Doing the all artifact run to unlock the final one was a good bit of last challenge.

Really hate closing the book with a chapter left in it, but the last one is "drown 20 whorls". Play over and over until I not only get the underwater level, but get there with an adequate level of power but not too much so I can knock them back without killing them, get lucky in that it has active spawns AND that I don't get there too late so the Whorls don't spawn anymore. I mean, at that point, why not just put a slot machine on the main menu and have me pull that for five straight hours? It'd save me time at least.

Wow, I did not expect that achievement to be the one you're having trouble with. You ARE using the Enforcer to try it, right? Even though it's not one of his achievements, he's by far the best option to do it with. Just hang out on the bottom of the level and use the shield bash to knock a bunch of whorls into the pits. Sure, sometimes it sucks to not get the underwater level, but when I was trying for that one, I can't remember ever being powerful enough to kill a whorl in a single shield bash.

Gangxxter

Concerning Wolfenstein TNO Uncut:

Are you kidding me Bethesda? Now they have added Switzerland to the "ReleaseStateOverrideCountries" list but Austria is still missing from that list! That means Wolfenstein TNO uncut is still in "preloadonly" state in Austria although it would be perfectly legal to release it here.

Well there goes my hopes that Wolfenstein TNO uncut will be officially released in Austria. Now that they have added Switzerland to the list of countries where the game is released, I highly doubt they'll edit it again to include Austria too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom