• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Decided to strike another Steam review for the early morning.

header_292x136.jpg

Deadly Premonition is not a masterpiece in a traditional sense, and it's too flawed in ways to be named a good game (maybe okay at best). But Deadly Premonition is probably one of the best gaming experiences you could have that's released in the last few years. You'll laugh, you'll cringe, you'll be hit with feels, and you'll panic. When all is said and done, we need more games like Deadly Premonition. It's the mid-tier game in one of the purest forms, flawed and arguably bad, but with so much heart and enjoyable elements you may not care, and hardly any game will put a smile on your face as much as DP does.

Great review, (thought I'd argue that as a "game" game Deadly Premonition isn't even that bad) as an experience it's amazing. In my top 3 best games of last gen despite all the flaws of the PC port.

ONE LAST REVIEW. Wanted to get a few on Steam I guess. Might be appropriate as this game is available in a bundle right now. I wrote this review to one of my favorite songs in the game, "Where Is It Going?"

header_292x136.jpg

Hey, apparently I own this and your review piqued my interest.

DocSeuss

I was thinking about using my Steam money today to buy that Jedi Knight complete pack. Sounds like I have a really good reason to do it now.

what's so special about them? :x

You know FEAR?

They came from the guys who made FEAR.

And FEAR is the greatest shooter of all time, so these are the second and third-greatest, respectively.

Female-led shooter, Bond-like. Hilarious as can be... We're talking tricycle chases and discussions from henchmen on correlation and causation.

Dr Dogg

So ROCKETSROCKETSROCKETS is the video game equivalent of Keats?

Might have to add to the wishlist as it sounds really quite fun.

DocSeuss

I was too. Then one day I just said "Fuck it" and dove in head first. One of the most rewarding experiences I have ever seen in gaming. In an industry of watered down games that hold your hand, Souls games are anything but.

Souls games think you have cooties.

Tellaerin

Wish we'd see a little more of that silly side of you around here, man.

Well, I did actually sink ~3 hours into Blackgate, but otherwise yes. ;)

I'm starting to wonder if I'm the only person who uses the cards (and Playfire rewards, etc.) as motivation to actually play some of these games for a couple of hours, particularly the more arcade-y ones.

Dr Dogg

Those 6 stooges by Firelink Shire can teach anyone to parry like a pro. Understandable after the bazillion or so times you have to go past them past them. Same thing with the suicidal dregglings in 1-1 of Demon's Souls.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
header_292x136.jpg

A bit of a warning, this will be my rantiest review I think I've ever done.

An enjoyable rant it was too, keep it up. However I do have a follow up question to all that since you brought it up, how was the movie? I have a DVD of it my friend threw at me (literally), but I have yet to sit down and actually watch it.

Silent Hill 2 is still like the greatest narrative in a videogame ever in my book. The amount of feels I felt with the ending was unlike anything else.

Aye, it was just such a shocking discovery and yet it all made perfect sense to me. One of the few times I truly felt a gamut of emotions from a video game story's ending.

... wait we are talking about the Dog ending right?

Lone Survivor...

It has sim-like mechanics not all will care to manage, but those that delve into it will be rewarded with interesting story twists, revelations, and new areas.

Very good to know as otherwise I might have only done the bare minimum for that.

http://yotsubane.blog99.fc2.com/blog-entry-62.html#more
For all shmups lovers like me, Yotsubane announced Crimzon Clover Ignition, to be released on Steam. Today is indeed a good day.

Wonderful news.

Acccent

You know FEAR?

They came from the guys who made FEAR.

And FEAR is the greatest shooter of all time, so these are the second and third-greatest, respectively.

Female-led shooter, Bond-like. Hilarious as can be... We're talking tricycle chases and discussions from henchmen on correlation and causation.

Wh... what?
ibrbifVhTH0rep.gif

Why have I not heard about this before? Is it some kind of barely-known cult classic?
(I've never played FEAR. inb4 omg you must)

Also ROCKETS³ seems super cool

The saw esqe moment you mention in your review towards the end of Homecoming is still one of the most hilariously nasty things I've seen in a game. Remember I was playing it with my sister when it came out and we were both screaming because I failed the qte and got the death. Wish more games would have its location based damage system for weapons.

Shame Downpour isn't coming to PC apparently, has a lot of flaws but it was a much better game and more in line with the rest of the series. Great side quests as well. If the enemy design has been more inspired it would have been up there with the first few games. But the enemies were all pretty cliched and bland which is a pretty unforgivable flaw in a Silent Hill game and reduced a lot of the fear.

Kaleinc

Banned
Anyone with Nvidia managed to enable decent AA in Giana Sisters? I've been shuffling compatibility bits for a while with no luck.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Silent Hill Homecoming/The Movie: The Game, ughh. Such a terrible Silent Hill game. Downpour isn't the best but at least it's better than Homecoming, so it's a shame it never got a PC release, even though it's kind of bad. Downpour also contributed to the best E3 conference ever.

rtcn63

I liked Homecoming. The story was crap, but I didn't mind the combat or some of the sections (lady in the hotel who asks you for pictures). The one place that was a notable let down, was when they tease you with this creepy dollhouse inked in black and red, but you get a shitty descending staircase into fucking nothing.

Downpour has probably the worst story/characters in a SH game- Syfy channel late night bull, at best. The enemies also looked like Disney rejects, and the lack of an actual inventory sucked. Oh and the terrible chase scenes a la Shattered Memories, those weren't fun. I did enjoy the open world aspect, but it was underdone.

Jusoni

So in order to receive those sweet playfire rewards, you need to boot them the absolute first time ever? If so, goddamn, I booted almost half of the SW games to see how well they work on modern systems.
Finished Dark forces earlier today. For almost 20 year old game, it was suprisingly fun. I recommend running it with DarkXL-mod for modern resolutions and mouselook. Next up dark forces 2!

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Which games in the Star Wars bundle are worth buying?

In that bundle? Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast, and Knights of the Old Republic. You can get more in a better bundle on Steam, or just get the ones that you want since they're relatively cheap right now, though.

I liked Homecoming. The story was crap, but I didn't mind the combat or some of the sections (lady in the hotel who asks you for pictures). The one place that was a notable let down, was when they tease you with this creepy dollhouse inked in black and red, but you get a shitty descending staircase into fucking nothing.

Downpour has probably the worst story/characters in a SH game- Syfy channel late night bull, at best. The enemies also looked like Disney rejects, and the lack of an actual inventory sucked. Oh and the terrible chase scenes a la Shattered Memories, those weren't fun. I did enjoy the open world aspect, but it was underdone.

The only combat item you really need in Homecoming is the knife. It can kill pretty much everything.

Downpour had the whole "oh look, you lost all of your items! Again, for the third time" thing going on. It made all of the sidequests pretty much pointless.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
So in order to receive those sweet playfire rewards, you need to boot them the absolute first time ever? If so, goddamn, I booted almost half of the SW games to see how well they work on modern systems.
Finished Dark forces earlier today. For almost 20 year old game, it was suprisingly fun. I recommend running it with DarkXL-mod for modern resolutions and mouselook. Next up dark forces 2!

It won't count If you booted them before signing up for playfire or before the rewards program stated, so you'll still get the rewards if you launch them now

The only combat item you really need in Homecoming is the knife. It can kill pretty much everything.

Downpour had the whole "oh look, you lost all of your items! Again, for the third time" thing going on. It made all of the sidequests pretty much pointless.

The vast majority of Downpour's sidequests are just additional events/stories you can find though. You do in more for the atmosphere and narrative than anything else. A lot of the game's more unique enemies and puzzles are actually exclusive to them, isn't just "kill 5 monsters" which I was pretty impressed by. Think Downpour really nailed the open world design and how you could just happen upon said "quests"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom