• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2014 - every time improve protection Steam Guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did Jedi knight collection just go on sale for 66%? Those two Jedi games I bought cost just as much as that package with like 5 more games ...

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
ONE LAST REVIEW. Wanted to get a few on Steam I guess. Might be appropriate as this game is available in a bundle right now. I wrote this review to one of my favorite songs in the game, "Where Is It Going?"

header_292x136.jpg

Lone Survivor is a 2D psychological survival-horror game that pulls a lot from David Lynch and the Silent Hill series. I originally played it back when it came out from the developer's website, and have played through it a few times since also on Steam and on the PS3.

You play as a nameless character who is stationed in an apartment in a ruined city. Each day is a struggle, with limited supplies and draining willpower. Our character decides that he doesn't want to die alone, and sets off to find someone else to give meaning to his minimal existence. As he ventures out, he does meet other characters, but they all seem rather odd. Are they real, or a figment of his imagination? Is everything as it seems, or just an illusion?

The game has atmosphere in spades. While the graphics are low-res and pixely, the game has a fundamental understanding of the effect minimalism can have on games; like the original Silent Hill or Resident Evil, your mind fills in the blanks of details. Everything is just detailed enough to make out what everything is, but minimalistic enough that your imagination fills in the blanks. The game also utilizes some nice lighting and fog effects to help add to the atmosphere.

The audio is fantastic, with moody and stylistic music, wonderful sound design, and while unsettling, adds so much to the experience.

The game doesn't have jump-scares, but rather mood to unsettle and oppress you. Some will find this decision to make the game ultimately not very scary, but it remains tense and unnerving through tough obstacles and strange moments.

ss_23478290e6cc93197f582371112b5090449c0db2.600x338.jpg

The game is a bit cryptic, which might turn some off from the title. Something that most may not see coming is that our character has human needs for things like sleep, food, and rest of mind. If you don't take good care of your character, it effects him. And to take good care of him means to search around for things that may help, such as gas for his stove to cook things or a game system and batteries to use to play it with. You collect food and supplies from the game itself, and from utilizing these elements you can help tend to your characters needs. Or you can not, and just do the minimum effort to get by.

But choice in gameplay matters here. The game has about six different endings (one of them is slight alteration of another ending though), with four available on the fist playthrough. Which ending you head towards is not determined by simple A or B choices, but by how you play the game. And most everything effects it. How often do you eat? How often do you sleep? Do you use the transfer mirrors to return home? Do you indulge in side-quest? Do fun but meaningless things to help your sanity? Do you help or hurt this guy? Do you kill or avoid enemies? All these choices add to an unseen score (that they finally show you after the credits) which determine which ending path you're going on. Well, that is except one ending, where you need to do a secret side-quest to obtain it.

There are a few points the game drags on a bit, particularly of note in the basement segment where your map is near useless and maneuvering can become rather confusing. After completing the game for the first time, you'll probably have more questions than answers. To really get the full experience of Lone Survivor means to play the game more than once, in fact certain areas, side-quests, and endings aren't even available until the second playthrough. This kind of commitment will turn some off from the game. And for some the survival element will feel superficial, as the game essentially will give you anything you need if you don't mind gaining 'ending points' to go on a certain bad ending path.

But it's also probably one of the truest Silent Hill games to release since Silent Hill stopped really being SH, and is one of the best 2D horror games to exist. To really dig into the game requires hard work to keep your sanity up and your spirits high, and rewards those that dig into the game's systems and figure it all out.

Lone Survivor is atmospheric, and one of the best 2D horror games in terms of atmosphere, and one of my personal favorites. It has sim-like mechanics not all will care to manage, but those that delve into it will be rewarded with interesting story twists, revelations, and new areas. It needs to be replayed to be fully experienced, but likely will attract a niche audience with its surrealism and mysterious storyline. For those less interested in the strange, there is a pretty solid old-school styled survival-horror game here. It may not have all the bells and whistles, but it's an ominous adventure while it lasts.

Divius

I really want to play this, but for some reason the game and my PC don't get along. Tons of crashes, and a while back I finally got past a certain point without it crashing but then it switched to ~5 FPS and it became unplayable yet again.

And I feel kinda bad about not being able to play, since someone gifted it to me when it just came out.
God dammit, just tried it again. Black screen at the start, nothing else. Fuck.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
What I find great is that after Dusk writes some thoughts about a game on Steam about an hour or so later I see some peeps on my friends list playing it.

Always glad to help push people to try certain games, I decided to tackle a few thoughts on some titles tonight to finally let a few thoughts out.

Dr Dogg

Always glad to help push people to try certain games, I decided to tackle a few thoughts on some titles tonight to finally let a few thoughts out.

Well after you posted your SH: Homecoming impressions I went and watched a few copies of 2 on eBay (50 bloody quid is the going rate at the moment it seems) and after you posted about Deadly Premonition about 5 people I've got added from GAF started it up :)

I'm always in a quandary of what to play as my free time where I can actually sit down is at a premium and having nigh on 700+ games in my backlog isn't helping. Though the way I look at my Steam library is thus, a third is stuff I bought knowing what the game was about and price was not a factor in my purchase and I've probably completed the. Or played as much until I wasn't getting any enjoyment from them. Another third will be items I would have been waiting in a price drop to what I would have deemed to be worthy of that game, with some played and others I'll get round to at some point. Finally the other third is mainly made up of stuff from bundles that were tertiary to my purchase and very easy to get overlooked, that's the games I love hearing impressions about because I like to be pleasantly surprised about a game I more than likely have over looked.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Silent Hill 2 is still like the greatest narrative in a videogame ever in my book. The amount of feels I felt with the ending was unlike anything else.

fantomena

Found a russian traider I can buy War Chest and MW2 from. When I have them, I have all CoD games on Steam.

I could never have bought the games form my own region. The prices are insane.

Probably the easiest ~$4.70 I'll ever make, haha.

Edit: Aw, make that ~$4.40 since I've played three minutes of KOTOR.

Have your playing habits changed since Playfire? How do you juggle making badges, selling cards, playing games, and anticipating Playfire rewards?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Have your playing habits changed since Playfire? How do you juggle making badges, selling cards, playing games, and anticipating Playfire rewards?

Not really. The only PlayFire Rewards inclusion I've played for express the purpose of obtaining GMG credit is Goat Simulator. Everything else I loaded up/was already playing for some other reason.

Colin.

CS:GO gifted me with a nice drop. Never had a random drop worth over £4 before, Call of Duty War Chest is now mine!

Annubis

no considering you can buy them separately on steam for a cheaper price

edit: nope miscalculated. you save 46 cents from buying from stacksocial. i guess its just depending on convenience then

You'd save more by not buying the bad games though =/

Found a russian traider I can buy War Chest and MW2 from. When I have them, I have all CoD games on Steam.

I could never have bought the games form my own region. The prices are insane.

How much did you get them for?

At any rate Cod war chest at 50% off with russian prices is the only fair price for >10 year old Cod games, even if they are the best ones.

Megasoum

Banned
I wish windows would stop screwing up every windows opened in a dual monitor setup when you launch a low resolution game. I just launched a bunch of starwars stuff for the playfire reward and I had to redo the whole setup for both my screens.

Dr Dogg

Konami needs to hurry up an release the Silent Hill games on Steam.

I'd imagine it's more along the lines of costing too much in royalties for the original voice cast or a licensing agreement for tech keeping them from just being dumped on digital distro. The ones that matter (ie 2, 3 and possibly 4) already have PC versions (some with a few abnormalities over their PS2 counterparts) so I guess if we all gang up and pester the right person at Konami we might get an answer as to why.

fantomena

Gonna install Republic Commando now and actually play it. The game is so good. Played tons of it on my first PC. Still have my retail copy except disc 1 is gone.

Thank god for digital.

-MD-

I'd imagine it's more along the lines of costing too much in royalties for the original voice cast or a licensing agreement for tech keeping them from just being dumped in digital distro. The ones that matter (ie 2, 3 and possibly 4) already have PC versions (some with a few abnormalities over their PS2 counterparts) so,I guess if we all gang up and pester the right person at Konami we might get an answer as to why.

Welp, someone get that petition going.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Just bought the 2014 Star Wars collection (yey for trading peoples).

Now to finally re-install KOTOR 2 (I have it retail but didn't get it on Steam yet), and try Force Unleashed 2, as well as the older titles.

Up to 998 games on Steam too. 2 more to 1,000, scary.

NEO0MJ

So, how well do the Jedi Knight games hold up? I remember having a lot of fun with one of them as a kid. If I were to buy one which would it be?

Dr Dogg

Welp, someone get that petition going.

Hahaha blimey don't take my word for it there could be any number of reasons as to why any of the previous Silent Hill games are absent. For example the company who handled the port of 2 have been shut for more than 10 years and might have taken any source code with them. I remember there being a big ho-hah around the time of the HD collection about the redub that was included. 2 still had it's original audio but 3 was new audio only.

I would say first step is to establish a line of enquiry and then go from there. Problem is the people who would make the decision ultimately are hardly the people to talk to us let alone get involved in any form of two way communication so finding the person who can talk to the decision maker(s) would be a good idea to start and not just a twitter account more than likely manned by an intern. No idea what publishers think of petitions but they're not really a commitment to buy so if they have to spend hundreds of thousands and risk it all on a non legally binding collection of signatures and statements you can see why most might get ignored.

It is an outrage that Valve allows big publishers to release classic, big-name titles like Dark Forces 2 to barely run/operate. Why should I have to spend an hour installing community-made mods to get a game to work or control?

Why don't they see the value in their heritage? At least GOG has some quality control.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
It is an outrage that Valve allows big publishers to release classic, big-name titles like Dark Forces 2 to barely run/operate. Why should I have to spend an hour installing community-made mods to get a game to work or control?

Why don't they see the value in their heritage? At least GOG has some quality control.
9 times out of 10 a game that is released on both GOG and Steam is literally the exact same copy with different install methods. See: Tomb Raider, System Shock 2, etc.

Diedac

Good luck

ModBot said:
Instructions for Diedac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Clickr -- MB-405CCC7BD2C8BA41 - Taken by Gianni Merryman. 11 entrants total.
Little Racers STREET -- MB-4CB24E3AFF99E218 - Taken by BruteUA. 5 entrants total.

t1399227895z1.png

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
any word on Bound by Flame? the pictures sure are pretty, but it smells like eastern european jank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom