• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2015 - Paid Mods? We hardly Nuuvem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtcn63

SR does overdo it a bit with the potty humor, sexual toys, autotune, and the like. It's enjoyable, but not 100% of the time. I do think SR4 is the better "game" though. SR3's side missions were dull and buggy, but you had to do them in order to become strong enough to progress through the main story (on hard at least).

louiedog

Saint's Row is GTA if a bunch of 11 year old boys were thrown in a room and polled on what they'd want to see/do in a video game. This is not necessarily a good thing.

It's better than recent GTA games, which are what you get when you have a 12 year old writing "mature hur hur hur" stories full of "biting" social commentary.

At least SR is fun.

This is riveting stuff. Is it Lincoln-Douglas style debate where you try to insult the sort of people who would play a particular game?

It's better than recent GTA games, which are what you get when you have a 12 year old writing "mature hur hur hur" stories full of "biting" social commentary.

At least SR is fun.

SR3 was solid, I can't speak about SR4 yet, but SR and SR2 were garbage.

GTA has had some problems over the years, but I've enjoyed all the games (for the most part) from GTA3-GTA4 and what I've played of it's episodes. I expect I'll love GTA5 when I decide to play it. as well, based on everything I've seen and heard.

SR does overdo it a bit with the potty humor, sexual toys, autotune, and the like. It's enjoyable, but not 100% of the time. I do think SR4 is the better "game" though. SR3's side missions were dull and buggy, but you had to do them in order to become strong enough to progress through the main story (on hard at least).

I don't remember what difficulty I was on, but I never really had problems with the difficulty (I think I played on hard)... the ONLY thing that saves SR3 and makes it a solid game when compared to it's predecessors is the fact that they dropped that bullshit "pad the game by forcing players to play these extremely horrible minigames to earn enough respect to consider the story" for a leveling system based on the respect mechanic. The superhero DLC was solid, but I don't know if I need a whole game built around it which is why I've held off on it.

Turfster

This is riveting stuff. Is it Lincoln-Douglas style debate where you try to insult the sort of people who would play a particular game?

I'm not insulting the players.
I'm insulting the writers =p

Especially in V, their shitty story gets in the way of letting the player play the fucking game the way they want to.

pahamrick

I liked the Prototype Games, I liked all the Saints Row games, I've liked all the GTA games.

I'll just sit in my little corner of perpetual bad taste, I guess.

rtcn63

corrosivefrost said:
I don't remember what difficulty I was on, but I never really had problems with the difficulty (I think I played on hard)... the ONLY thing that saves SR3 and makes it a solid game when compared to it's predecessors is the fact that they dropped that bullshit "pad the game by forcing players to play these extremely horrible minigames to earn enough respect to consider the story" for a leveling system based on the respect mechanic. The superhero DLC was solid, but I don't know if I need a whole game built around it which is why I've held off on it.

Did you play the original or the Full Throttle version? IIRC, the latter "forces" you to have an easier time, by giving you experience and money by the boatload. Or maybe I just suck at games, it has been brought up before.

I hated the side missions in SR3, but ended doing all of them in SR4. Don't know why.

Prototype? Saints Row?

Y'all need Mercenaries 2.

From what I played, it was a buggy piece of trash. Not a fan.

Prototype 2 wishes it could be twice as good as SR4.

Also I played Mercenaries 2. It wasn't that great.

Agreed on the Mercenaries 2. Then again, I never liked the franchise... the brobox 360 version was definitely not my cup of tea.

I'm just stating facts. There is no denying that Saint's Row has always aligned itself with a juvenile and absurd sense of humor. Most of the time, I can't stand it. It definitely comes off as childish to me and I find it more annoying than fun most of the time.

Prototype? Saints Row?

Y'all need Mercenaries 2.

No. No I don't.
Prototype and Prototype 2 were really fun.
As much as David Heller was amusing, I never liked his aesthetic though. Such a shame that the Mercer skin is locked behind a bunch of bullshit.
That final battle too... that was something else.

MUnited83

For you.
Yep, Saints Row IV is much more fun. GTAV is great in world building and detail but that's it.(well, the car chases are better too) but overall Saint's Row is just better. Put some first person mods in, it becomes even better!

MUnited83

For you.
Seriously now? We're calling the middle school level toilet humor writing of Saints Row better than GTA?

Well, they are both middle school level.

SR revels in its absurdity. Yes, it takes it to questionable limits at times, but it knows its a video game and at worst, a parody of itself; it's aware that it's never going to be The Godfather or Scarface or even Goodfellas.
Also this, yup.

rtcn63

SR revels in its absurdity. Yes, it takes it to questionable limits at times, but it knows its a video game and at worst, a parody of itself; it's aware that it's never going to be The Godfather or Scarface or even Goodfellas.

wilflare

I loved it, but I love metal, so I think that's kind of a requirement for enjoyment. Like everyone says, the RTS sections are mediocre at best. But I drove around and got 100% of the collectables and spent as much time just screwing around as anything. I'd love to see a sequel, especially one with more focus and no RTS stuff. But with my luck they'll make it tower defense or something.

If you're looking to save the most it does seem like the type of bundle that will have a happy hour, but honestly you're only going to save a dollar or two by waiting and it could be a week or two before we have happy hour, if at all. I'm gonna spend the $4 because it's worth that to me but I'm waiting on happy hour for the Evoland bundle.

2 bucks saved is 2 more bucks to spend in other bundles :p

all I buy for Steam these days are bundles :/
welp :/
I get a secret satisfaction from seeing that I have all of them :/

Saint's Row is GTA if a bunch of 11 year old boys were thrown in a room and polled on what they'd want to see/do in a video game. This is not necessarily a good thing.

Saints Row is like a Tex Avery cartoon, it realises what it is, a video game. That anything is possible and there are no real boundaries beyond "is it fun?".

I'll admit I wasn't interested in the first two Saints Row games but The Third won me over. It's "ninja's have kidnapped the president, are you bad enough dudes to save him?" ridiculous and that was the perfect kind of game for me to play after forcing me way through 50 hours of Grand Theft Auto 4.

BorntoPlay

Nintendo doesn't always make an E3 presentation; sometimes they do a Nintendo Direct instead.

They got Direct don't they?

Whatyearisit.jpg

nintendo dont do E3 anymore

I can make it but i don't know if other sites will host it. It will be in Direct/Treehouse form probably and there is chance that only Nintendo will host it on their Twitch so this format with 5 Stream links is not that good for Nintendo. But i will make one when we hear more from Nintendo.

Yes, I know Nintendo goes with another Direct.. and pretty sure is going to be stream it here and here..

From what I played, it was a buggy piece of trash. Not a fan.
No. No I don't.
Prototype and Prototype 2 were really fun.
As much as David Heller was amusing, I never liked his aesthetic though. Such a shame that the Mercer skin is locked behind a bunch of bullshit.
That final battle too... that was something else.
I get quoted two times? :D

But for real, I had so much fun with Mercenaries 2 on PS3. So much fun. The mayhem was a blast. It was kinda similar to Just Cause but with much more emphasis on weaponry.

louiedog

I'm not insulting the players.
I'm insulting the writers =p

You may have phrased it that way, but you know what you were saying.

I'm just stating facts. There is no denying that Saint's Row has always aligned itself with a juvenile and absurd sense of humor. Most of the time, I can't stand it. It definitely comes off as childish to me and I find it more annoying than fun most of the time.

You're not using that word correctly, but with the way you seem to talk about everything else I'm not sure you're interested in having reasonable discussion. You just like throw out hate.

I'm just bringing this up because this is where conversation goes on these boards and it's just people riling each other up in crappy ways. It's a hair away from civility only because there are mods. Why can't people talk about things they don't like without resorting to the extreme end of expressing their dislike?

Turfster

You may have phrased it that way, but you know what you were saying.
I do, do you?
Don't you go putting words in my mouth =p

People can enjoy the games they want to enjoy, I'm not going to attack them for that.
I can however attack the creators of games I find lacking or terrible in one way or another.

There's a NeoGAF realted achievement on Cosmochoria

wXpbHhX.png

Anteater

I'll probably wrap up the forgotten sands later today, probably already close to the end, pretty decent game even though it has a bit of the limited platforming but the power activating thing kept it a bit interesting among a few things, and I enjoyed its simplistic combat. It's kind of rare that I could keep my attention on one game these days, I guess I just like hack and slash/action adventure games.

Eh, if you stopped, you probably played the best of it already, the latter half isn't nearly as good as the first half.

It started out so strong though :(

chronomac

SidM8WN.png

Apparently I've got the 14th best run in Canabalt at the moment?

More people should play this. They've added a lot more modes so it's worth the $3, even if you've got it on your phone.

Turfster

More people should play this. They've added a lot more modes so it's worth the $3, even if you've got it on your phone.

Speaking of which, Canabalt keys are now available for Humble Android 2 and 4

Anteater

huh i have some gifts on indiegala back from january, sent the gift link to myself and one of the keys worked, I don't recall ever buying those gifts, guess I'll try send to a friend later.

SidM8WN.png

Something about the game feels easier than the tablet version. I've done exactly 1 run on origin and have already bested my best score from years, on and off, on the mobile version. About 9.5km.

chronomac

Something about the game feels easier than the tablet version. I've done exactly 1 run on origin and have already bested my best score from years, on and off, on the mobile version. About 9.5km.

It does feel easier. I played it a ton on my iPhone 4 at 960x640 so it feels much bigger now that I'm running in 1080p on a 40" screen. They might have adjusted the difficulty too.

Says I already got a code ... but I didn't. Weird.

Try resetting cookies and the rest of your data. Same thing happened to me and that helped (in Chrome).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom