• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2015 - Paid Mods? We hardly Nuuvem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was talking about how long it took Valve to fix Steams offline mode properly. ;)

Steam was shit for a long time. GOG Galaxy seems not shit so far.

Steam - GOG - 0 - 1

Comparing how the Steam client was in the past to how the GOG client is now is pretty stupid

fantomena

Features coming soon:

Game Auto-Updating (lol, thought this was the reason the client was made and it's not done yet)
Achievementa
Game Time Tracking
Friends & Chat
Notifications

It did work. It just didn't work consistently.

In other words, it did not work properly. ;)

Comparing how the Steam client was in the past to how the GOG client is now is pretty stupid

You don't get my sarcasm?

GOG Galaxy is like the GOG website just as an client. It's miles away from Steam.

Sarcasm

I was talking about how long it took Valve to fix Steams offline mode properly. ;)

Steam was shit for a long time. GOG Galaxy seems not shit so far.

Steam - GOG - 0 - 1

Heh if serious GOG client is pretty much a non browser standalone library with downloading capabilities.

Steam back than did have actual social aspects to it...like chat.

Dsyndrome

Features coming soon:

Game Auto-Updating (lol, thought this was the reason the client was made and it'd not done yet)
Achievementa
Game Time Tracking
Friends & Chat
Notifications

In other words, it did not work properly. ;)

Any timeframe for those, or is it still NDA? I haven't even tried for the Alpha/Beta since those aren't implemented yet.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
well at least the logo looks VERY familiar ;)

vSn0sN3.jpg

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
finicky, aren't we?
Well the fact remains, it wasn't working whenever you wanted it to work, it could have been working when you weren't trying, who knows. Happy now?

I'm never happy. The "C" in my username actually stands for "Consistently agitated".

fantomena

Not defending steam. But GOG client is pretty much a non browser standalone library with downloading capabilities.

Steam back than did have actual social aspects to it...like chat.

I know. Read my comment above.

The Galaxt client is just a software opening up the GOG store without the need of a browser. Obviously some added features.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
He's got a point. Think of it like this:

Imagine a baby having stronger reasoning and deduction skills than a supposedly adult human. Wouldn't that be impressive?

Like, wouldn't it be something else if even a baby could see a hole in an argument comparing something new to something old, when an adult couldn't?

That'd be something.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm also in the GOG Galaxy alpha and I'm not nearly as impressed with it as fantomena seems to be. Of course it was going to have a functional offline mode - the nature of GOG games being DRM free pretty much guarantees that you'll be able to run them regardless of whether or not you launch them via the client or not or what state your internet connection is in.

My main gripe (which apparently will be fixed by release if grayed out options are any indication) is that you can only see the games you currently have installed in your "Library" tab. Going to the "Library" main page basically gives you your GOG library as it is on the website. Games can be installed more quickly, but doing so gives you the default settings ie a shortcut on your desktop. If Steam did this, people would lose their minds.

I can see it getting better, but I can't see it improving in the drastic ways that it needs to before The Witcher 3 is released.

Nabs

OpenVR SDK now available: http://steamcommunity.com/games/250820/announcements/detail/155715702499750866

Applications are now able to access SteamVR hardware using the new OpenVR SDK. The SDK is available for download here. It provides support for the HTC Vive Developer Edition, including the SteamVR controller and Lighthouse. See the release notes to learn what has changed from the Steamworks VR. The SDK also includes new documentation and samples.

Along with the OpenVR SDK support has been added to support Unity via the SteamVR Unity Plugin and native SteamVR support in Unreal 4.8. Both will be available soon.

This SDK release is the next step toward the first major Developer Edition shipment. If you have not yet applied to receive a Developer Edition, there is still time.

fantomena

I'm also in the GOG Galaxy alpha and I'm not nearly as impressed with it as fantomena seems to be. Of course it was going to have a functional offline mode - the nature of GOG games being DRM free pretty much guarantees that you'll be able to run them regardless of whether or not you launch them via the client or not or what state your internet connection is in.

My main gripe (which apparently will be fixed by release if grayed out options are any indication) is that you can only see the games you currently have installed in your "Library" tab. Going to the "Library" main page basically gives you your GOG library as it is on the website. Games can be installed more quickly, but doing so gives you the default settings ie a shortcut on your desktop. If Steam did this, people would lose their minds.

I can see it getting better, but I can't see it improving in the drastic ways that it needs to before The Witcher 3 is released.

Well, Im not fully impressed either, my previous posts were full packed of sarcasm. :p

I assume the reason the client is so insanely barebones right now is simply due to it's an optional client. I neither think that CD Projekts goal is ever to make a real Steam competitor.

Lomax

Yeah, I'm still hopeful that it will eventually be decent enough that I at least don't feel compelled to only have things on Steam, but at this point even the Desura client is still superior.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Well, Im not fully impressed either, my previous posts were full packed of sarcasm. :p

I assume the reason the client is so insanely barebones right now is simply due to it's an optional client. I neither think that CD Projekts goal is ever to make a real Steam competitor.

Ah, gotcha. It's indeed pretty underwhelming, but the potential is there.

Arthea

Features coming soon:

Game Auto-Updating (lol, thought this was the reason the client was made and it's not done yet)
Achievements
Game Time Tracking
Friends & Chat
Notifications

That's it, we are doomed, for real this time. Imagine replaying every single game you have on gog, terrifying, isn't it?
I also see popularity of gog skyrocketing if they implement it in a right way, at least at the start and especially if any older popular games will have achievements added. I know it's unlikely, but who knows.

Dr Dogg

I'm pretty sure from fanto's post of amazement of getting a GOG Galaxy invite at 5:38pm to his wonder at the soon to be implemented features at 5:51pm, so all of 12 minutes of using it, is the best assessment anyone would ever need on the state of GOG Galaxy.

Turfster

Daily Volgarr 80% off
Weekend
  • Activision Publisher Weekend up to 75% off CALL OF DUTY ADVANCED WOOFWARE MP FREE WEEKEND
  • Block & Load 15% off
  • Saints Row Franchise 33-75% off

morningbus

Activision Weekend

First the May steam thread in April, now the weekend starts on Thursday.

Cats. Living. With. Dogs.

I'm pretty sure from fanto's post of amazement of getting a GOG Galaxy invite at 5:38pm to his wonder at the soon to be implemented features at 5:51pm, so all of 12 minutes of using it, is the best assessment anyone would ever need on the state of GOG Galaxy.

That's about the same amount of time he puts into a game before reviewing it, so you can understand our confusion.

Uzzy

Korra for £6/50% off? Nice stuff there. I so miss that show.

Oh, and Bloodlines for £3.74/75% off? That's a steal.

Dr Dogg

Why do I have this horrible, strange compulsion to buy all the Cabela games? They're bloody awful apart from the whacked out story campaign of Dangerous Hunts.

That's about the same amount of time he puts into a game before reviewing it, so you can understand our confusion.

I guess there's where I've been going wrong with my life. I thought I had to see things through to the bitter end. All that time I could have saved.

morningbus

steam follows jshackles, nothing new here.

That's an interesting way of calling jshackles hot, but it is of little import when discussing the overthrow of a rightfully ascended fascist dictatorship.

Arthea

That CoD collection price never ceases to amaze me, 400 bloody euros... for CoD. Well 200 now, still pretty impressive.

derExperte

Acti even jacked up Russian prices of superold stuff like Bloodlines and TimeShift significantly. And Duck Dynasty's base price is now 999rub.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom