• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2016 - VAC to life, VAC to reality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lain

You bet your ass Blizzard was going to charge for new heroes, the staff has been dodging that question for many weeks until they decided to make it free to get people to preorder.

You can bet your ass they weren't. The core mechanic of the game is switching between heroes. The game would have been flaming shit if you had to buy heroes instead of all heroes being usable at any time.

zkylon

zkylewd
You can bet your ass they weren't. The core mechanic of the game is switching between heroes. The game would have been flaming shit if you had to buy heroes instead of all heroes being usable at any time.

yeah that actually makes a lot of sense

bjaelke

I keep seeing this image posted and I don't get what's so good about it

Big hero 6 reference

9zHaJOq.jpg

So, FFX HD now had a peak of 13k, making it the highest peak in the FF series on Steam, even more than XIV.

Pretty much tells how SE is leaving money on the table with XV.

Although Steamspy still doesn't seem to have a page for the game.

Why couldn't they answer that one simple question for so long then? Because money, this is the Blizzard that put auction house in Diablo 3 we were talking about.

Adnor

Banned
It's never a good idea to talk about business plans until you have them completely finished, so even if they knew from the start that they wouldn't charge for heroes everything would have changed from one day to the next.

zkylon

zkylewd
With in-game currency that you could grind or something. You can't see all this evasion and be at least a little bit suspicious?
i'm not too familiar with blizz to say for sure but if u asked me to guess i'd say they explored all their options before communicating

i don't think it looks "suspicious", you just don't talk about things until they're set cos you're gonna break a lot of hearts if u make any changes

it's happened to rito a bunch since they're way more communicative than most companies

zkylon

zkylewd
Then at one point charging for heroes did cross their mind.
i don't think anyone's debating that, but seems like at one point they didn't feel it fit the game they were making and they went with another model

i'm still curious how this game is gonna continue making money

like are skins gonna be enough? they do have like a shit ton of different customization elements, so maybe, i bet it's fairly cheap to keep making those (vs say skins in league which have like a big splash art and new spell graphics and whatnot)

i don't think anyone's debating that,
i'm still curious how this game is gonna continue making money

like are skins gonna be enough? they do have like a shit ton of different customization elements, so maybe, i bet it's fairly cheap to keep making those (vs say skins in league which have like a big splash art and new spell graphics and whatnot)
I think Blizzard would allow people to buy lootboxes with real money, since we normally only get one per level, and there might be a level cap.

zkylon

zkylewd
i think i heard there's not, and i've seen videos of ppl that are like lvl 400 (or 200, can't remember)

but yea selling loot boxes would make sense. selling currency would make sense too, like $4 for 1k or something would probably feel fair-ish

Lain

Why couldn't they answer that one simple question for so long then? Because money, this is the Blizzard that put auction house in Diablo 3 we were talking about.

Because they didn't have all their plans set is my guess, but once they decided to have heroes switching as a core mechanics I just can't see them putting selling heroes themselves in the cards.
Selling heroes separately would completely defeat the gameplay choice and the competitive side of the game.
D3 AH is one of the reasons for me to believe this too. They learned a big lesson there, a lesson which made them go back and strip the feature completely from the game and D3 didn't even release as a competitive PvP game.
Thinking about repeating the same kind of mistake (hey, how about we fuck up with the core gameplay to try and make some moolah?) would have been extremely stupid.

Blu(e)

Here's the progression breakdown for Overwatch. There seems to be no level cap and the exp needed to level will plateau at level 23 where you'll need 22000 exp for each level afterwards. There's also a breakdown of the EXP gain for time spent in the match and win/loss. Generally it will take an hour of play to level up if you're winning consistently.

Ozium

I think Blizzard would allow people to buy lootboxes with real money, since we normally only get one per level, and there might be a level cap.

there's no level cap

and once you hit level 20 the amount of XP needed to get to the next level (and next loot crate) never goes up

edit: beaten

Here's the progression breakdown for Overwatch. There seems to be no level cap and the exp needed to level will plateau at level 23 where you'll need 22000 exp for each level afterwards. There's also a breakdown of the EXP gain for time spent in the match and win/loss. Generally it will take an hour of play to level up if you're winning consistently.

there's no level cap

and once you hit level 20 the amount of XP needed to get to the next level (and next loot crate) never goes up

edit: beaten
That's very good to hear.

I preordered the collector's edition, I want that artbook!

Arthea

anybody here playing FFX for the first time? How do you like it?

I was playing some of Doom Crimzon Clover WORLD IGNITION, IDK why I waited, I now can confirm that's it indeed a nice game for those that aren't good (or new) at shmups, just pick the novice mode and enjoy your ride.

edited: talking about sales, Doom and FFX are still at the top of bestsellers list, so we'll need to wait much longer for accurate numbers.

We are in now in 2016
Do I gotta bring up the 'You can spell ignorant without IGN' joke?
To be fair though, who cares what score was given to the game. If it's a good solid game that goes against current modern gaming conventions and is STILL fucking awesome, who cares what some website score it?

If only more people had this attitude...

Tellaerin

I was playing some of Doom Crimzon Clover WORLD IGNITION, IDK why I waited, I now can confirm that's it indeed a nice game for those that aren't good (or new) at shmups, just pick the novice mode and enjoy your ride.

I'm not a huge fan of bullet hell shmups in general (my taste in vertical scrollers runs more to stuff like Compile's old output), but even I really enjoy Crimzon Clover. I picked it up because someone in SteamGAF had recommended it, and I could've sworn it was you, but it looks like I'm misremembering. (Maybe it was Knurek?) Whoever it was, thanks, buddy - you've got good taste.

Arthea

We could be only a month away from the summer sale
scary thought, isn't it?

I'm not a huge fan of bullet hell shmups in general (my taste in vertical scrollers runs more to stuff like Compile's old output), but even I really enjoy Crimzon Clover. I picked it up because someone in SteamGAF had recommended it, and I could've sworn it was you, but it looks like I'm misremembering. (Maybe it was Knurek?) Whoever it was, thanks, buddy - you've got good taste.

it was recommended many times in the steam thread, that's how I bought it also.
steamgaf used to have a good taste in games

.... and we have a date
Since "confidential" means nothing to certain Steamworks developers, Steam Summer Sale will start on June 23 and will last two weeks.

I'll be in Germany during the last days of the summer sale, if I buy a game will I get the censored German version?

For the 52 games challenge, if I beat one Mega Man game in the Legacy Collection, does that count as one or 1/6?
Some people count telltale chapters as 1...

mp1990

Banned
For the 52 games challenge, if I beat one Mega Man game in the Legacy Collection, does that count as one or 1/6?
I'd say that each Mega Men counts as a separated one, since each of them is a full fledged game and not necessarily linked one to another, but it's up to you to decide. Last year I counted each Life is Strange episode as a separated game, so the rules are pretty loose.

EDIT: by "linked" I mean it in the Life Is Strange sense.

Bluth54

To be precise, it starts June 23rd and ends June 23rd because by then you have seen all the deals..

..I really hope they change back to the old format, I want Steam sales to be an event.

I doubt they'll ever go back to the old system because of the refund system because people would just refund whatever they bought if it gets a bigger discount.

Wish you can get rid of the pistol in doom, I don't really like the weapon menu as I enjoy scrolling through my weapons to keep up the pace and the pistol disrupts my carnage :3

Hektor

Why is everyone talking about DOOM now? Is it a good game after all?

I'll be in Germany during the last days of the summer sale, if I buy a game will I get the censored German version?

Probably. But there is usually a warning on the steam store pages, so you don't have to worry that you accidentally pick up a censored version.

Where are you going?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom