• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2016 - VAC to life, VAC to reality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

I've never finished a doom game before so I'm not in tune with that deep lore. Which games does the new game consider canon? From what I played of doom 3 it seems it might not fit in.

If the opening section is any indication, the narrative is literally treated as a joke by the main character.

It looks like they've fleshed some things out, but it's all about the gameplay.

Would be nice if the first two didn't do so well. That way they might have incentives to make them good.

They are targeting a different audience now unfortunately.

What's really strange is their marketing with Doom. They develop a shooter in the modern era, with old-school sensibilities than directly market to the lowest common denominator.

Jawmuncher

If the opening section is any indication, the narrative is literally treated as a joke by the main character.

They are targeting a different audience now unfortunately.

What's really strange is their marketing with Doom. They develop a shooter in the modern era, with old-school sensibilities than directly market to the lowest common denominator.

Why Bethesda thought the MP was the way to go for marketing is beyond me. Didn't help that the e3 reveal felt really off. The game is such a 180 from what people were expecting it's crazy. A lot of talk was basically "it'll probably be alright" to GOTY contender for a lot of people on GAF. Which isn't something that happens too often with games around here.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I also hope for BJs

Wait, what?

If you are of legal age I may be able to help with that.
bts_lina.gif

zkylon

zkylewd
whoa i just found out all the future overwatch content is gonna be free

i thought for sure it was gonna be like a league model

Resident Evil Revelations, I played the demo on the PC and 3DS years ago and a friend gave me an extra code they had lying around. The combat, is good and clunky at the same time. Weird.

Well Overwatch isn't a free to play game after all.

iosefe

i feel like doing some crazy shit in my FFX run.

i haven't touched the sphere grid yet. someone tell me where to send everyone. i'm on the expert one

You bet your ass Blizzard was going to charge for new heroes, the staff has been dodging that question for many weeks until they decided to make it free to get people to preorder.

zkylon

zkylewd
Well Overwatch isn't a free to play game after all.
well i mean, you pay for map packs in call of duty, iirc are gonna pay for characters in the new street fighter, it's not a f2p thing only

I'm glad that Blizzard is going down this route, League, and similar F2P games, are extremely predatory.
i'd say league has among the least predatory f2p models considering it was gacha free until very recently (unlike say dota) and is relatively simple in how it offers things (grind or buy, that's all there is to it)

and (even for as much as i dislike it existing) the loot system is fairly harmless

so yeah, there's a big fat paywall for sure, but extremely predatory, i wouldn't call it that

You bet your ass Blizzard was going to charge for new heroes, the staff has been dodging that question for many weeks until they decided to make it free to get people to preorder.
whatever their reason i'm glad they chose to have the game content available for free, even if i'm fairly sure they'll sell skins and whatnot

Grief.exe

i'd say league has among the least predatory f2p models considering it was gacha free until very recently (unlike say dota) and is relatively simple in how it offers things (grind or buy, that's all there is to it)

and (even for as much as i dislike it existing) the loot system is fairly harmless

so yeah, there's a big fat paywall for sure, but extremely predatory, i wouldn't call it that

From the outside it seems very predatory as they constantly release heroes where they are motivated to make extremely powerful to force payments.

I would like to get a second opinion on this, would you concede that you have a chance for bias in this regard? (Your favorite game and you have a conflict of interest due to your sunk cost potentially effecting your opinion).

Teggy

It's super fun. It really balances that line between crazy arena shooting and exploration. Except I can't figure out how to open that damn secret door in the first level :( I 100%ed the second level and I was hoping to clear it out before I moved on and I just spent the last 30 minutes wasting my time.

I used to go nuts min-maxing in FFX. Everyone had max stats and 999 MP. Only activated perfect nodes. All that was left was hundreds of cleared nodes where I needed HP spheres from some flan arena boss. I couldn't do that crap anymore. I think that game broke me.

Best armor ability is auto-haste BTW.

Maybe I will start up an X-2 run. But I am down to the last 3 challenges in Diablo 3 season 6. But one is some bullshit level to 70 in hardcore mode.

zkylon

zkylewd
From the outside it seems very predatory as they constantly release heroes where they are motivated to make extremely powerful to force payments.

I would like to get a second opinion on this, would you concede that you have a chance for bias in this regard? (Your favorite game and you have a conflict of interest due to your sunk cost potentially effecting your opinion).
sure but misinformation doesn't help anyone:

constantly releasing champions: around 5 or 6 champions a year. for a regular player, it's very easy to grind the 6300ip in two months by just regularly playing the game. most people also don't buy every single champion (i play mid so i wouldn't buy a jungler), so it's not that big of a deal

op champions on release: this has historically not been true. if u go through the list of champions you'll find a ton of champions that have been underpowered and needed buffs not long after release. sometimes they're stupid broken, but it's definitely not something that happens regularly

this is modern league, aka 2012+ league, old league was a very different beast

u can argue about how bad it is to sell champions but u know, get ur facts straight!

is the blitzball mini game actually fun? I ask because I remember when I was playing dissidia the main character in from that game had some blitzball related moves so I assumed he is like a a blitzball champ within the game world.

Messiah

You can just score one goal in Blitzball and then take the ball, hide behind your own goal and speed up the game until it is over. The AI will never take the ball from you this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom