• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2016 - VAC to life, VAC to reality

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtcn63

Do any of you guys still play the Division? Seems like that game is virtually absent from discussion nowadays. Most of my inner circle of friends have stopped playing entirely.

I gave up partway through the single-player. It's just not a particularly engaging third-person shooter or loot-hunt.

Tizoc

I believe there was a mod that imported all of those old games into a new engine. I don't know what the progress has been.

I had a feeling the bottom would drop out of that game relatively quickly.

That would be the mod i downloaded yet Windows Defender treats it as a Trojan.

I had a feeling the bottom would drop out of that game pretty quickly.

It wasn't the game itself, though. It was the developer's decisions that put it into the purgatory it's in. They hemmed and hawed for too long. In my opinion, they only ever really had the option of plowing ahead with regard to loot and they didn't do it soon enough.

I stopped playing a while ago. Now, I just focus on serious Overwatch posts in response to half-assed snark.

There must be a lot of questions flying around Ubisoft. They put a lot of eggs in that Division basket ("this is the future of Ubisoft") to let it dry up so fast.

Do any of you guys still play the Division? Seems like that game is virtually absent from discussion nowadays. Most of my inner circle of friends have stopped playing entirely.

Massive dropped the ball massively on this game. Instead of doing right the things that Destiny did wrong at launch, they went on nerf sprees, and took forever to patch things that prevented a ton of people from playing. Their much touted Incursions are wave based survival modes, and it would seem that they love releasing them (and their big patches) on the same dates as big names get released (their first Incursion and big patch released on April 12, Dark Souls 3 day. Their second Incursion and big patch will come out on May 24, Overwatch day...)

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Bundlestars Lego Pick and Mix Bundle https://www.bundlestars.com/en/promotions/lego-pick-mix

3 Lego games for $10 USD.

Unfortunately, this deal is less worthwhile for Canadians at $13 CAD because Lego games frequently go down to $5 CAD on Steam. Otherwise, I'd probably take the opportunity to grab Lego Marvel and a couple of others.

Assuming there are three Lego games you want, this is the cheapest most of the newer games have ever been. I've been wanting Lego Jurassic Park but the cheapest it's been has been around $8 just by itself. Getting this and Lego Batman 3 + Season pass for $10 seems pretty decent.

Assuming there are three Lego games you want, this is the cheapest most of the newer games have ever been. I've been wanting Lego Jurassic Park but the cheapest it's been has been around $8 just by itself. Getting this and Lego Batman 3 + Season pass for $10 seems pretty decent.

Yeah, I picked those three out as well.

Half of the games in the weekly sale aren't on sale. (scientificially deduced from two pages of sales)
so how many more hours 'til overwatch?

also i just heard gta 5 sold 65 million copies? what the actual hell

They'll probably hit 100 million at least by the time GTA5 Double Definitive Editions (Blood Red and Shark Card Black) releases for PS4neo, Xbox Another, and Nintendo X.

BHK3

Banned
The OT is still going decently strong as far as I can see.
Because its the game thats open world fodder with 'loot' thrown in so you'll hook in the usual suspects.

I kinda play it mostly because I don't have anything else to play outside of dota, I'm trying bloodborne right now but the game runs at 25 fps for me personally so I might drop that too.

I tried to go back to Mount and Blade but the UI made me physically ill. I think I would prefer a M&B game where it is just drop-in drop-out MP with large scale battles.

kagamin

I like being able to shoot up dudes in my videogames with decent progression, if I feel like i haven't really gotten better gear or improved much in terms dealing with dudes efficiently in a decent amount of time (I put more than 100 hours into The Division) I don't feel the need to continue, it was fun for a while but I dunno if I really wanna invest that much time into it if I'm just not gonna deal damage effectively.

Balthuk

so how many more hours 'til overwatch?

I believe 5 1/2 hours more. Just picked it up as well, yay. I've added my battletag in the OT

Also rocket league with a podcast continues to be my thing for chilling. I'm now into hoops which was kinda lame when I had no idea how to do aerials, now I'm only kinda bad at it.

Lomax

Bundlestars Lego Pick and Mix Bundle https://www.bundlestars.com/en/promotions/lego-pick-mix

3 Lego games for $10 USD.

Unfortunately, this deal is less worthwhile for Canadians at $13 CAD because Lego games frequently go down to $5 CAD on Steam. Otherwise, I'd probably take the opportunity to grab Lego Marvel and a couple of others.

Dammit, should have waited on Lego Jurassic World. Didn't expect to see that much better of a deal that quickly.

I tried to go back to Mount and Blade but the UI made me physically ill. I think I would prefer a M&B game where it is just drop-in drop-out MP with large scale battles.

That's what Warband's MP mods were for, actually. Don't remember the name, but some were like proto-MMOs with persistent levelling and stuff, IIRC. Purely competitive though.
I like being able to shoot up dudes in my videogames with decent progression, if I feel like i haven't really gotten better gear or improved much in terms dealing with dudes efficiently in a decent amount of time (I put more than 100 hours into The Division) I don't feel the need to continue, it was fun for a while but I dunno if I really wanna invest that much time into it if I'm just not gonna deal damage effectively.

That's weird. I thought the whole point of the Division was that loot grind aspect.

Or do you just mean the general bulletspoonginess of enemies dampens the feeling of progression? I've often felt that a lot of MMO-style games have that problem with levelled progression, where enmies just get tankier and tankier until there's no fun left.

zkylon

zkylewd
5 and a half.
oh man

i really don't wanna have a dev meeting today ;_;

i love the ui, it's so grotesque and ridiculous, it's awesome

everything about that game's style is super funny and charming to me in some weird way

love eet

Almost even more odd than that, from GTA 3 on they all made about 20m, and V made a magnitude more.
yea i wonder what's up with that, gta 4 was like a crazy success afaik but this is just insane

i would've thunk that console generation jumps would actually hurt sales but i wonder how many ppl bought multiple copies

i also wonder if they had very aggressive regional pricing since it's sold really cheap on brazil on nuuvem for instance.

GaussTek

Heavenstrike Rivals is out (F2P just like the mobile version):

The PC version of Heavenstrike Rivals is now available on Steam!
You can now synch your mobile app version to Steam and play across all platforms!
* The account synch feature requires access to a Facebook account
* The Steam version only supports English
* Chinese, Japanese and Korean characters may not display correctly on the PC version
* Required ports for play: 3002 and 3005

I haven't played it in a few weeks but the new patch sounds promising. I'll give it another go if I can pull myself away from Overwatch.

Because SOMEONE told me it was worse than Reversion Chapter 1, I went and won Reversion Chapter 2: The Meeting just so I could review it for you. You're welcome?

The story: You play a nameless male protagonist - although spoilers, you learn your name right at the end of the game - who (in Chapter 1) woke up in a hospital in Buenos Aires (pronounced "airs" don'cha know) with no memories, as well as finding that the whole city has gone to shit ... you know, more so. Chapter 2 picks up directly after Chapter 1 with no real introduction, and inventory items you would have kept from Chapter 1, almost as if this was originally a complete game that was split up. Your companion Victoria tells you that you have to find a certain guy, then ditches you without giving you answers, and you trust her implicitly, although to be fair it seems that the other people around are much worse. There's no clear objective arc through the chapter, so it's pretty much "Do what complete strangers tell you to do until the chapter ends." For a character that's supposedly smart, he sure doesn't reserve any healthy distrust. The end sequence doesn't make a whole lot of sense in light of what you know thus far. Some developers just have to accept they're not storytellers.

The graphics: A little substandard for a 2D adventure game, but not horrible. The textures are kinda flat, reminds me of a late-era Flash game.

The dialogue and voices: It's pretty translation-janky. Not as bad as some games I've played, especially Russian ones, but you have to shake your head at them sometimes. Can they not find one English proofreader? Also, there are only two female characters in the game, and it sounds like they used the same voice actress who didn't even bother to put on different voices (or possibly she wasn't even told she was a different character, who knows.)

Of course, there was one HORRIBLY glaring example of translation problems:

vAmcFMT.jpg

Basic literacy 101! Yes, it was supposed to be an acronym for something but I guess it's totally different in Spanish and English...and they completely forgot to alter the graphic to reflect it, so our protagonist ends up looking like a moron.

The gameplay and interface: Where the game really fails to shine. For some reason, whenever you want to interact with something, you have to DOUBLE click it, then choose whether you want to eye/hand/speech bubble. The inventory screen only requires a single click to pick things up and several right clicks to put it back down for that extra added hassle. And the save/load screen? How could they possibly screw THAT up, you ask?

lji3A4Q.jpg

Not only do they give no context (with a screenshot,) not only do they not allow you to give the file a description...but they can't even code the time properly. 13:9 instead of 13:09 (I know it would be too much to ask for 1:09pm, so I won't even go there!)

The length: 79 minutes, including loading the last-screen save to rewatch the credits and get an achievement for "beating the game twice," and going back to get another achievement for attempting to break an inventory item. Currently idling for cards I won't use. So...extremely short, even for an episode. There's an achievement for beating the game in less than four hours, and unless you left it on while you went to do something else, I don't see how you could, because this game is EASY.

The verdict: If you haven't played Chapter 1, don't bother with this game because it doesn't even attempt to explain what's going on. If you have played Chapter 1, it's...okay I haven't played Chapter 1 in a while? But from my recollection, this one is marginally better. I don't recommend either of these games at all. I have no idea how many chapters are planned but they've taken two and explained so little about where they're going that I have no interest in going further. And people backed this on indiegogo? It's not the worst adventure game I've ever played, but it's bad...like boring, nothing-happens, you'll forget this game ten minutes after you played it bad.

zkylon

zkylewd
Tell that to the characters. All of them.
lol that's so weird, i kinda wanna play it now

i don't know the devs of that game but it's a recurrent theme with argie devs to want to make post apoc buenos aires. like i've heard like half a dozen developers come to me with that idea

i really like my city but i think the idea is pretty misguided, to me what makes a location worth tearing down and exploring is like its zeitgeist, the reason why i love metro or fallout is cos they really capture the essence of what it was before the apocalypse and it's so unique to that culture that it's really interesting when taken down to ruins

there's a really popular argie comic book about post apoc buenos aires that pulled that off great and i think a lot of ppl are going off that but there was a time and place to that comic and i feel ppl making these types of games just don't realize it

You were warned.

Also, I dunno if it's relevant to your interests, but there are some Spanish words the characters pronounce differently. Some pronounce "alfajor" with the correct "h" sound, and some use the hard "J" as in "jet."

zkylon

zkylewd
You were warned.

Also, I dunno if it's relevant to your interests, but there are some Spanish words the characters pronounce differently. Some pronounce "alfajor" with the correct "h" sound, and some use the hard "J" as in "jet."
weird, i guess there's a bit of a range in argies accents but most buenos aires ppl would go alfajor j with like an h in hentai or something lol

idk why that's the first word that popped into my mind when having to think of an h sound

lol

also i played the first one of those games just out of curiosity and yeah, it's not great. i want argie games to do good and show up on steam and stuff but u know, gotta make good games first

Messiah

weird, i guess there's a bit of a range in argies accents but most buenos aires ppl would go alfajor j with like an h in hentai or something lol

idk why that's the first word that popped into my mind when having to think of an h sound

lol

also i played the first one of those games just out of curiosity and yeah, it's not great. i want argie games to do good and show up on steam and stuff but u know, gotta make good games first

ffvv41E.png

weird, i guess there's a bit of a range in argies accents

What argie accents? Most of the actors don't even try to sound South American. That's what I'm getting at. Some have enough of a working knowledge of spanish to know what a "j" sounds like, and some don't (and the voice director didn't bother to correct them...you know, assuming they HAD a voice director.)

zkylon

zkylewd
What argie accents? Most of the actors don't even try to sound South American. That's what I'm getting at. Some have enough of a working knowledge of spanish to know what a "j" sounds like, and some don't (and the voice director didn't bother to correct them...you know, assuming they HAD a voice director.)
oh yea didn't even think the game was in english

well, idk then haha

see this is why my game doesn't have voice acting

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me

i don't know the devs of that game but it's a recurrent theme with argie devs to want to make post apoc buenos aires. like i've heard like half a dozen developers come to me with that idea

i really like my city but i think the idea is pretty misguided, to me what makes a location worth tearing down and exploring is like its zeitgeist, the reason why i love metro or fallout is cos they really capture the essence of what it was before the apocalypse and it's so unique to that culture that it's really interesting when taken down to ruins

there's a really popular argie comic book about post apoc buenos aires that pulled that off great and i think a lot of ppl are going off that but there was a time and place to that comic and i feel ppl making these types of games just don't realize it

Argies love to riot. I sense a theme.

Buenos Airs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom