• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2016 - VAC to life, VAC to reality

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtcn63

I keep seeing

MatrixSeraph.jpg

Ozium

I was in this prematurely air conditioned supermarket and there were all these aisles, and there were all these bathing caps that you could buy that had these kind of... fourth of July plumes on them. They were red, and yellow, and blue. I wasn't tempted to buy one, but I was reminded of the fact that I had been avoiding the beach.

Jawmuncher

count the stars

huh? thats impossible

no its not

Not impossible, but incredibly boring.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=48FG8PwqBcY

I was in this prematurely air conditioned supermarket and there were all these aisles, and there were all these bathing caps that you could buy that had these kind of... fourth of July plumes on them. They were red, and yellow, and blue. I wasn't tempted to buy one, but I was reminded of the fact that I had been avoiding the beach.

This reads like a excerpt from a down on his luck detective nove.

Tellaerin

is also interesting because of the setting and main character you can explore ideas and situations not really covered in games, things that require a modicum of intellect..

fucking amazing dunno why it has mixed reviews :/ literally better than any telltale game I've ever played and those get good reviews.. wtf?

Think you just answered your own question there.

Lomax

header.jpg

been playing this after grabbing it for a dollar from Humble and it's fucking fantastic.. no idea why it has mixed reviews.. you play as an african-american woman in the 70s who has a degree in engineering but is stuck in a salsa-like country being a housekeeper and you go around and clean this dude's apartment once a week for an hour... but the things you do around the apartment draw you closer or further away from the owner... he will leave you notes and shit and you can respond...

there's a revolution going on and it nails the atmosphere with gunfire/bombing outside, the story is also about that... you learn things about the situation by looking at things and hearing her thoughts, and you learn more about her by relaxing in a chair.. it's a very cool way to do an interactive story IMO, you have to infer a lot of things.

the dude is also a rich bastard and has tons of cool art around his house too, which she also comments on and critiques...
is also interesting because of the setting and main character you can explore ideas and situations not really covered in games, things that require a modicum of intellect..

fucking amazing dunno why it has mixed reviews :/ literally better than any telltale game I've ever played and those get good reviews.. wtf?

This review would have been greatly appreciated when the game was still on sale for a dollar.
Kidding, I appreciate it now, I'm sure it will be bundled soon enough.

Ozium

Are there any puzzles to solve or anything?

no it's more of an interactive experience, there is aspects of time management since you only have 1 hour to do things (30 real life minutes) and when you do housekeeping the time goes by faster.. at one point I needed to decode something so I had to go find the cipher somewhere before I could read something..

it's almost like a walking sim but it has a lot of player agency so I wouldn't necessarily call it that...

Arthea

am I the only one pumped for Hard Reset Redux

I want it more than Shadow Warrior 2

but Salsa. Hard Reset still is fine, you don't need to wait for redux or anything

no it's more of an interactive experience, there is aspects of time management since you only have 1 hour to do things (30 real life minutes) and when you do housekeeping the time goes by faster.. at one point I needed to decode something so I had to go find the cipher somewhere before I could read something..

it's almost like a walking sim but it has a lot of player agency so I wouldn't necessarily call it that...

you practically undone your positive review with this tidbit, you know

So it's more like Papers, Please?

Salsa

What changes are they making to redux? I was thinking of playing Hard Reset for the first time this weekend

better graphics, some rebalanced gameplay apparently

new enemies, new weapons (cyber katana being probably the biggest one)

redux is accurate. I doubt it'd be a full-price separate thing for Steam owners

I gather it's mostly a thing to release the game on Xbone / PS4

MadGear

This War of Mine is surprisingly good at creating a grim and depressive atmosphere. Makes me not want to play this game anymore.

MazeHaze

Banned
caught your edit and the fact that they're skippable now is nice

but I dont get this line

you don't get how snappy gameplay being boged down by an unnecessary story presented in long, previously unskipable cutscenes affect the game?

you dont see how "core gameplay" gets affected in the game as a whole when you're constantly prevented from enjoying it?

it's Megaman X4, basically.

I bought the game. Started it. Went through an absolutely needless intro and thought "oh okay here we go"

entered a stage. another intro

midway through stage. cutscene with dialogue

end of stage. cutscene, dialogue. cutscene before next stage

this is a 2D platformer.

fuck that shit forever

Totally agree. That game was such a huge piece of shit. The cutscenes weren't even good either!
They were pretty much like :

Scrooge: I have to collect these stones...
Other Character: Hey Scrooge! You should collect those stones!
Scrooge: Thanks! I guess I'll be gettin these stones now!
Other Character: Don't forget to get the stones!

Obviously not verbatim but, what a poorly written train wreck that thing was. Last level was bullshit too, all the insta fails on that escape section. ugh.

I love stories in games, even when they're bad, and I don't think I've ever skipped custcenes until this game. After the first level I noped the fuck out of that story so hard. Had no context for how we got to hell or whatever at the end and I didn't even care.

Salsa

Totally agree. That game was such a huge piece of shit. The cutscenes weren't even good either!
They were pretty much like :

Scrooge: I have to collect these stones...
Other Character: Hey Scrooge! You should collect those stones!
Scrooge: Thanks! I guess I'll be gettin these stones now!
Other Character: Don't forget to get the stones!

Obviously not verbatim but, what a poorly written train wreck that thing was. Last level was bullshit too, all the insta fails on that escape section. ugh.

they got excited because they got the original voice actors of the cartoon and they thought people wanted that and they had to get some use from them

awful decision and totally misguided to what people liked from the original NES game

Wayforward is just spotty as hell in general

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Truthfully, one of the reasons why Sunset has mixed reviews is because:
1) It is an artsy game
2) It is kickstartered
3) The developers are progressives interested in social justice and feminism
4) The game did poorly and the developers lamented the lack of demand
5) Anti-progressives gloated about the failure of the developer and taunted them
6) This leaded to an escalation of words where the developers said some inopportune things.

Leading to:
7) Anti-progressives review bombing the game because they think the company is shit and deserves to fail.

This is definitely not the only reason the game is getting bad reviews, many, even most of the negative reviews appear to be sincere, but I would say a non-trivial portion of the negative reviews reference the controversy explicitly or implicitly.

Corpekata

Banned
Sunset got bad reviews because it's not good, like all of Tale of Tales' other games. Like the one where you get raped by the Big Bad Wolf, or walk as an old man and then die.

I like a lot of artsy fartsy games, but they are like every bad stereotype of art game developers made flesh.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Are you guys Overwatching or am I stuck with the creepy weirdos from the OT?

we are but we cant say we are, because Overwatch isnt on Steam you see. Unlike all those nintendo and EA games we talk about...and desks. And anime. And whatever the fuck was hapening on this very page in fact. Thats all Steam thread appropriate.

its cute that you think steam thread people arent weirdos

fixed that for ya

Salsa

Salsa said:
1- Witcher 3
2- Rocket League
3- Flywrench
4- Pillars of Eternity / Dying Light
5- Not A Hero / Galak-Z

mentions: grow home, nuclear throne, MGSV, Lethal League, Ori, Crypt of the Necrodancer and a huge etc, this is hard.

my Steam GOTY voting was on point

Not A Hero should be 4th tho maybe

Yeah, I played a bit of Sunset (I won it from a SteamGAF giveaway, thanks, Tizoc), but it didn't run well on my computer and it just didn't go a good job of pulling me in. And I have nothing against walking sims, I loved Gone Home.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
everyone in the world trying to play a blizzard game at launch right now

i9Z4egW.gif

Teggy

Total War: WARHAMMER

Total War: WARHAMMER

Though you should have already purchased it.

I am too bad at RTS. :( I mean really, I try. I tried playing Company of Heroes this year because I would totally love that game if I could actually play it but I just kept losing over and over.

NMS? I mean, its not out tomorrow, but you can buy it tomorrow

I can't be a cool person playing the cool game tomorrow with a preorder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom